Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Clothing...please help me stop my head spinning!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

F1.ash
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 17:11 - 30 Jan 2017    Post subject: Clothing...please help me stop my head spinning! Reply with quote

No, I know there's clothing to stop that Laughing
I'm trying to equip myself with whatever will give me my best chances should the worst happen as a shortly to be rider in training and, all being well, post DAS, riding a 600 for leisure, not commuting. I initially looked at the Alpinestars Andes items and liked them, price was also OK.

I'm not looking to clear out the bank account for the sake of it and I think there's point you get to (as is the way with many things) where diminishing returns becomes apparent thereafter.

Now I find myself going around in circles and running into this time honored debate about leather vs textile vs whatever else. Abrasion resistance seems to vary wildly between product types depending on where you read. I accept that for impact scenarios there's little to expect from either that's beyond the scope of localized built in armor.

Can somebody please help me make some sense of all this! Confused

Apologies if this is a recurring post, happy to have some links to other similar threads by way of reply.

Thanks. Thumbs Up

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:26 - 30 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

For training definitely textiles, some training will invariably occur when it's raining and leather is like a sponge.

If you're planning on being a weekend-warrior then wear whatever protective gear you like. For the average 'off' it won't make a great deal of difference to the damage you receive.

Better still stop worrying about coming off, concentrate on learning to stay on the bike.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:28 - 30 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shit. This is Tef bait. Upgrade the server, quick.

F1.ash
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 17:40 - 30 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Shit. This is Tef bait. Upgrade the server, quick.

I haven't been here long but I'm expecting him! Laughing
In among the 'humour' I'm sure there will be something useful...probably.

F1.ash
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 17:44 - 30 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_Pagin wrote:
For training definitely textiles, some training will invariably occur when it's raining and leather is like a sponge.

If you're planning on being a weekend-warrior then wear whatever protective gear you like. For the average 'off' it won't make a great deal of difference to the damage you receive.

Better still stop worrying about coming off, concentrate on learning to stay on the bike.

Could you enlighten me as to how the frequency of my riding correlates to the level of protection I might like? Or am I missing something...

On your third point, I kind of thought that this may be good idea. Thumbs Up

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:53 - 30 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

F1.ash wrote:
Andy_Pagin wrote:

Could you enlighten me as to how the frequency of my riding correlates to the level of protection I might like? Or am I missing something...

On your third point, I kind of thought that this may be good idea. Thumbs Up

Commuting on a daily basis you get rained upon, textiles do a reasonable job of keeping the water out and dry out to a reasonable extent whilst you're at work, leathers don't.

As to levels of protection, hit a lamp post at 60mph in t-shirt & jeans - you're dead. Hit it in full CE rated armour - you're dead.

All you're achieving with motorcycle gear is abrasion protection, assuming you're not planning on anything more than legal-ish speeds on public roads then what type of protection you choose isn't that important.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:38 - 30 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You spend far more time faffing in and out of motorcycle clothing and sitting astride the machine in it than you ever will crashing. First rule of your kit is buy what's comfortable and convenient for you - if having to double yourself over to get into a onesie leather gimp suit is going to put you off going for a ride then that sort of defeats the object of having all the gear.

Case in point - I now have a casual leather jacket, Kevlar jeans and a pair of shortie boots and I'm using the bike for more routine journeys than ever before, because I just couldn't be doing with putting all my leathers on and working out how I was going to cope walking around in them at the other end.

The rest of it is as much for much on road riding - as long as you're buying good quality gear you won't be let down by either leather or textile.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:00 - 30 Jan 2017    Post subject: Re: Clothing...please help me stop my head spinning! Reply with quote

F1.ash wrote:
I initially looked at the Alpinestars Andes items and liked them, price was also OK.

If you like them, buy them, they'll be fine. /thread

No, really, they look like decent enough mid range textiles. Depending how soon you need them, you see whatever Lidl or Aldi come up with, long about March. Aldi have been selling reasonably priced gear that they reckoned passed CE2 abrasion - you won't see many brand names claiming that.

Don't sweat it too much. If you're dry and warm, you'll be fine. Unless you get deaded, in which case it won't matter.

Oneear
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:31 - 30 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't necessarily go mental before getting through your CBT - you might find you don't like it/can't be arsed learning to be reasonably okay at it.

I used the training school jacket, gloves and helmet for the CBT, once that was over, I started off with some Held textiles through Ebay - bought separately, around £60 for top and bottom. Warm, even without the liners in, waterproof, armour and abrasion resistant. I'd highly recommend the Held stuff.
A new helmet (HJC IS-17) with some gloves thrown in were bought at a local motorcycle gear dealer (who were more than happy to match online prices, so it's worth asking the question, and having the opportunity to try stuff on, especially the helmet).

Since then, I've gradually got more, new, stuff. Keeping an eye on online sales has been great, with better than half price stuff through Triumph factory outlet, sportsbikeshop, and other places. I did stump up for some boots though, from the Altberg place in Richmond (N Yorks), as I felt my Dr Martens weren't really going to do much if 230kg of bike landed on top of them

The textiles get worn commuting and if it's cold/properly raining, and a leather jacket and Kevlar jeans when it's above 8 or 9 degrees and dry for a ride out and about.

I've no real need for a leather one piece, i'm not hooning around the place, I ride a Triumph Legend, and i'm not going to be going on a track day anytime soon.

As has been said, something comfortable, to suit the riding and the conditions, and something you're going to wear rather than leave in the house and take the car instead.

Barnoe
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:51 - 30 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hardest gear to buy is commuting gear, your not doing that so the choice is a lot simpler.
I have 2 sets of gear

Commuting gear....
Is easy on and off and goes over working clothes, it is waterproof but I'm not overly fussed as I'm only wearing it a short time and it drys quick.

Day out gear... different story
The gear needs to be a lot more comfy as I'm likely to be wearing it all day with no shelter either.
And so it needs to be waterproof and warm too

Obviously all my gear has armour protection and double/triple stitched bla bla that goes without saying.

Leather looks nicer I think, and probably lasts longer, but as already said its useless on a wet day, even if you get a heavy shower... your gonna weight twice as much and stay wet all day :/

If you do buy leather then make sure you also buy a good quality waterproof over suit. Make sure you buy one that can be put on while you have your boots on!!
That way the first sign of rain, pull over, pop on suit and get back on the road Smile

F1.ash
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 08:40 - 31 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for some useful pointers. Plenty to think about and I have a few weeks to get organized.

Cheers. Thumbs Up

Kaya75
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:01 - 01 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The great gear paradox, I learnt in a cheapo jacket a pair of termite gloves, jeans, pair of cheapo Oxford boots, a hamlet 2 sizes too big, did my cbt and rode for a year in that gear, except I brought a pair of rst textles jeans to commute in.

Then I did das, better leather jacket, Kevlar jeans and a properly fitting Halmet.

Paradox is that most people inc me, Seem to learn in below par kit, and the chances of coming off are greater in the first two years, but then you don't want to spend £££s on gear you may not want.

Secondhand gear is cheap, eBay is ur friend if you know ur sizes, (for make and type they differ) a lot with bike kit.

Most important is a properly fitting helmet, don't need to spend lots, check out the sharp score, many 50quid lids beat 400 pound Shoei's (popcorn time on that one) case in point, my misuses 80 quid lid is better rated then my GT AIr at 380 quid. But I wear it everyday, so comfort is an issue

Correct fitting helmet is the only bit of kit that will save ur life, pinlock option is a must.

The rest is good advice above, gear is confusing at first though. I feel like I'm just about got an handle on it myself.

F1.ash
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:14 - 01 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaya75 wrote:
The great gear paradox, I learnt in a cheapo jacket a pair of termite gloves, jeans, pair of cheapo Oxford boots, a hamlet 2 sizes too big, did my cbt and rode for a year in that gear, except I brought a pair of rst textles jeans to commute in.

Then I did das, better leather jacket, Kevlar jeans and a properly fitting Halmet.

Paradox is that most people inc me, Seem to learn in below par kit, and the chances of coming off are greater in the first two years, but then you don't want to spend £££s on gear you may not want.

Secondhand gear is cheap, eBay is ur friend if you know ur sizes, (for make and type they differ) a lot with bike kit.

Most important is a properly fitting helmet, don't need to spend lots, check out the sharp score, many 50quid lids beat 400 pound Shoei's (popcorn time on that one) case in point, my misuses 80 quid lid is better rated then my GT AIr at 380 quid. But I wear it everyday, so comfort is an issue

Correct fitting helmet is the only bit of kit that will save ur life, pinlock option is a must.

The rest is good advice above, gear is confusing at first though. I feel like I'm just about got an handle on it myself.

I have a decent helmet sorted, I got a good deal on a Shark Spartan (composite in plain white). I didn't sell myself on spending loads but concentrated on comfort and fit and was ready to pay what it needed without throwing money around for the sake of it. Helmet City at Chichester were very patient indeed. I'm going back this weekend to try on a few more different brands of jackets and trousers. They also have a great price on Dr Marten boots (Garrick and Faris) which are currently in a sale and apparently they suit wider feet so I'll be having a look at those too.

It's pretty clear there's no definitive answer to the debate regarding textile vs leather etc but more a question of what's going to suit the individual. I need to be clear on that then I'll have my answer...maybe Rolling Eyes

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:10 - 02 Feb 2017    Post subject: Re: Clothing...please help me stop my head spinning! Reply with quote

F1.ash wrote:
I'm trying to equip myself with whatever will give me my best chances should the worst happen

Bear in mind some motorcycle gear has been tested against abrasion and tear on impact, some not at all.

They just put a label that the armor is safety rated. Which is more or less some kind of scam.

I know which textiles have the highest rating CE level 2: Furygan Duke trousers and Titan jacket.

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/product-reviews/leathers-jackets-suits/2014/december/product-review-furygan-titan-jacket-and-duke-pants/

Note these are old models. There is new CE rating - for some reason they have relaxed the testing Brick Wall

F1.ash
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 12:24 - 02 Feb 2017    Post subject: Re: Clothing...please help me stop my head spinning! Reply with quote

Val wrote:
F1.ash wrote:
I'm trying to equip myself with whatever will give me my best chances should the worst happen

Bear in mind some motorcycle gear has been tested against abrasion and tear on impact, some not at all.

They just put a label that the armor is safety rated. Which is more or less some kind of scam.

I know which textiles have the highest rating CE level 2: Furygan Duke trousers and Titan jacket.

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/product-reviews/leathers-jackets-suits/2014/december/product-review-furygan-titan-jacket-and-duke-pants/

Note these are old models. There is new CE rating - for some reason they have relaxed the testing Brick Wall

The Titan jacket is still available: https://www.helmetcity.co.uk/furygan-titan-evo-textile-jacket-black-2017/ as are the trousers: https://www.helmetcity.co.uk/furygan-duke-textile-trousers-black/

I might see what I can find out about the testing done on these new models. Thanks for the tip. Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 84 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1