Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Keeping Bike Nice and Clean

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Arcane1729 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

tom_e
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:45 - 31 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no way to keep your bike clean in this weather if you're commuting on it everyday unless you've got fuck all better to do than wash it after every ride and watch it get covered in shit 2 miles later.

As for the chain, that is something you want to keep on top of in this shit weather especially while there's still salt around. Clean and lube it at the very minimum once a week possibly even more depending on your milage.

As for actually cleaning the bike what's wrong with a couple of buckets of water?

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:03 - 31 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick clean method.

I wash mine inside my shed, first I degrease back wheel and anywhere chain lube might fling using white spirit or
petrol on a rag. Then do a bucket of hot soapy water with Flash all purpose cleaner in it. Using a small damp sponge
wiping clean small areas bit by bit and rinsing sponge in soapy bucket after each pass. Dry any dampness with
microfibre towel if necessary, No rinsing needed. Then I go back over all the painted, carbon fibre and brushed
aluminium parts with a quality quick detailer. Then I use tyre/trim gel to do frame, black plastics and the sidewalls
of tyres. Finally a fresh lube up of the chain. Takes me about 40 minutes. A full sperg clean would take me
half a day with a certain amount of dismantling as part of the process.

If I didn't already have all this stuff on the shelf and actually used my bike extensively in bad weather then I'd coat the
thing in acf50 like everybody else and worry about cleaning it in spring.
Arcane1729 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:10 - 31 Jan 2017    Post subject: Re: Keeping Bike Nice and Clean Reply with quote

Arcane1729 wrote:
How does everyone keep their bike clean if they ride in winter slop daily to commute or something.

ACF 50 and don't bother till the weather fairs up Thumbs Up

neptune8
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:42 - 31 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ride my Honda CG 125 for pleasure only at this time of year. Recently fitted a mud flap to the front mudguard. This keeps a lot of crud off the engine. My bike has wire spoked wheels and chrome rims, which have been treated with ACF 50. I clean the bike after every ride useing a bucket of cold water and a brush. I wear heavy industrial rubber gloves. It takes about 15 minutes. Chain is not a big problem due to a totally enclosed chainguard. I still wash the crud off the ACF 59 with a brush. I use a spoke brush, so I can get at the rim between spokes. Get some rubber gloves, a bucket and brush. Clean and lube chain at least twice weekly in winter.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:06 - 31 Jan 2017    Post subject: Re: Keeping Bike Nice and Clean Reply with quote

iooi wrote:
Arcane1729 wrote:
How does everyone keep their bike clean if they ride in winter slop daily to commute or something.

ACF 50 and don't bother till the weather fairs up Thumbs Up

/thread

Sadly, my Nazi Tractor is up for its MOT this week, so I had to give it its annual courtesy wash on Sunday. Sad

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:28 - 31 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just use WD40 on a clean microfibre towel.
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:06 - 01 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

it rains, bike is washed...

on a serious note, occasionally rinsing with a watering can of clean water to get grit etc off

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:25 - 01 Feb 2017    Post subject: Re: Keeping Bike Nice and Clean Reply with quote

Arcane1729 wrote:
the chain is already rusting so bad

You might want to do something about that. I took the cover of the ZR the other day and discovered surface rust on the side plate and all the lube that should have been on there washed away after one ride in heavy rain, it happens.

Prop the bike up on the centre stand, or paddock, and give it some attention.

In regards to the rest give it some attention asap because if you've not got a coating on the tiddler's already and you're leaving the endless layers of kack to attack the bike directly then it never going to do the built to a budget machine any good. Good clean round and then coat it with ACF and only wash down after you've ridden on gritted roads. Salt gets everywhere.

Other tip is play close attention to your pads and ensure both wheels spin freely every so often. Even if you can't fix em know how to spot it.

Bollox to jet washes or w/e IMO. Get on yer hands and knees and give it some elbow grease.

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 11:26 - 01 Feb 2017    Post subject: re Reply with quote

am I the only one who has never washed their bike Neutral it rains a fair bit in London seems to give it a good clean every now and again. I do apply lube to the chain maybe once every 2 weeks and clean the chain maybe twice a year and no major issues in the past 2 years

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 13:45 - 01 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

In london you dont have mud and manure to think about.... Here in sunny (cloudy) dry (mostly wet) norfolk, You have all sorts of things to think about.... i gave my bike a hose down a few weeks ago and after one ride it was covered in shite again...

Thats the countryside for you.

But yeah my chains starting to show some rust too. I need to get it off petrol clean it again and then give it a good helping of oil.

As for a stand... We have one that didnt cost 300 quid... just grips the swing arm and lifts up the back wheel... Nothing to it.

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 13:47 - 01 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/motorcycling/motorcycle-accessories/oxford-rear-paddock-stand?cm_mmc=Google+PLA-_-Motorcycling-_-Motorcycle+Accessories-_-205093&_$ja=tsid:60494%7Ccgn:GoogleShopping%7Ckw:205093&istCompanyId=b8708c57-7a02-4cf6-b2c0-dc36b54a327e&istItemId=qlrmmwpxr&istBid=tzwt&_$ja=tsid:35522|cid:427600924|agid:30036280924|tid:pla-227385522724|crid:106226716564|nw:g|rnd:3931642960587841492|dvc:c|adp:1o2&gclid=CLL4lfb27tECFaOw7Qodif8IGA

heres a simple one from halfords that doesnt cost 300 quid...

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 13:55 - 01 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and as for that nomad battery powered pressure washer... Ummmmmm

Its ruggedly rugged, that infomercial on it was shockingly american... I mean I half exspected to see a waving stars and stripes flag faded into the background....

Why not just buy a mains powered pressure washer for home?

Or a hose?

I must admit. That pressure washer looked so rugged. Where the tank clips into the mechanics base (motor battery pack stuff) looked really flimsy... loose fitting. I can see them failing in about a years time.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:00 - 01 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 350 quid was referring to the socket set.

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 14:10 - 01 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah sorry, noticed that after posting

tom_e
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:38 - 01 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcane1729 wrote:
grr666 wrote:
The 350 quid was referring to the socket set.

It's on a £150 sale at my local halfords now which I'm gonna pounce on!

They're "In the sale" roughly 360 days of the year Laughing

Great kit though as long as you don't pick one of the 5 days where they dry bum you for it.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:06 - 01 Feb 2017    Post subject: Re: Keeping Bike Nice and Clean Reply with quote

Arcane1729 wrote:
Goddamn RAC with an estimated 3h arrival time. Man that was a sorry 5 mph ride home (: (luckily only a few miles away) and a days pay gone Sad

Someone educate the above poster as to the damage that could, and may have been, done to the tyre, rim etc as a result of riding on a flat tyre (I feel not to know enough about it to inform accurately).

Why no puncture repair kit? I ignored, somewhat, it also when I was on a tiddler but upgrading to a heavy big-un taught me that if you come to a halt you're not going anywhere fast by pushing it. Get into the habit of carrying the tools you need on the bike if something goes haywire sooner rather than latter. Do as I do, maybe, and get a Lynx washbag or alike and put em all in there, you can fit: puncture kit, tools, bungee hooks and loads more. 1/4 socket set and ratchet &. set of spanners and alike. Should maintain the bike regular enough to not need to fall back on them but can never be to sure.

Re: Halfords tools etc;

I just took the well given advice to me a short while ago by visiting carboots each week and buying sockets and spanners that I needed. My local one had sockets for a pound each at most or if the seller wanted more I haggled with a bunch in me hand. I've got a couple of odd bits of Halfords pro stuff that I paid a quid for. Probably not the right time of year for carboots but worth keeping in mind.

Buy tools as you need them because otherwise you've got a bunch of things you'll never need and wasted monies.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 78 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2