Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Motorcycle reliability by brand

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:44 - 02 Feb 2017    Post subject: Motorcycle reliability by brand Reply with quote

Place your bets, roll up, rolllll aaaaahp, place your bets.

Percentage which have experienced a failure by 4 years old:

https://i.imgur.com/XbfHVIC.png

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2015/04/who-makes-the-most-reliable-motorcycle/index.htm

I assume Victory owners misinterpreted it as "Failures by 4 rides".

My Nazi Tractor turns 4 this week. <ominous music> Pale

No, wait, it's made it to 5 without a fault! Winrar!

Last edited by Rogerborg on 09:35 - 02 Feb 2017; edited 1 time in total

Vracktal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:52 - 02 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be interested to know what they define as a failure, but I can't be bothered to subscribe and read the full report.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:05 - 02 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

12300 bikes. Huge sample.

Still, no KTM on there so must be hugely reliable!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:47 - 02 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on 'Borg. What's a failure? We need definitions!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:30 - 02 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

u​r mum is a failure.

And ima failure, since I didn't notice that this is from 2015. Thanks, VisorDown, now we both look like chumps.

It's a cromulent question, since your abject failure could be my characteristic trait. Also, years doesn't equal miles and "we adjusted for mileage driven over a 12-month period" has an ominous ring of film flam to it. 4 years of Victory at the local biker cafe is not the same as Triumphing at the daily commute.

Anyway, the Tractor just passed its year 5 MOT today with no advisories again and no problems so far, so it's all complete lies.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:01 - 02 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

This report is of very little value or influence when it comes to bike buyers, brands, image and satisfaction.

As the report said there is little correlation between supposed reliability and owner satisfaction, and bike buyers don't when your say over 125cc look for practicality or best value. People choose bikes based on:

1, because they like what they like, albeit a brand or type of bike and are often very specific about what they want and out of say 4equivalent bikes, only one might be something they'd even consider.

2, because they want the latest or mostest best bike in its class with the best performance and spec and electronics over all its rivals.

Say in the 1000cc superbike world for example this changes every couple of years. Also with nakeds. Say the KTM 1290 is this year's best super bonkers naked, next year it could be a Kawasaki Z1000 or something else.

The survey needs to improve by only considering new bikes, to keep variables controlled, and needs a far bigger sample size too. Lastly an American only survey is not particularly useful as they like alot of shit bikes or have vastly different tastes and riding environments than European buyers do.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:36 - 02 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that most buyers are going to ignore it and hope for the best. BMW just go from strength to strength despite a raft of recalls and a laundry list of both admitted and denied faults.

Despite carefully choosing a bike that isn't replete with known issues and personally having been lucky so far, if I ever manage to flog meiner Motorrad, I'll be turning Japanese. I really think so.

It's not an ideal survey, but do we have anything better to go on?

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:05 - 02 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzukis don't fail they just vanish in a puff of rust cloud.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:17 - 02 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

'What is a failure' is what matters here.

My Trophy had a tyre pressure sensor fail after 9 months. Triumph replaced it under warranty. I don't really regard that as a failure but if it is as far as the survey goes that's Triumph fucked as they had a lot of failures early on. It didn't matter for riding as it made no difference except for a warning light.

Stevo is exactly right. Very very few people buy bikes with their heads, they are toys. I would guess that even if you are a commuter, unless you are buying a 125 for fuel consumption you look for a bike you can enjoy as well as commute or have a second bike.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:30 - 02 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had to Google what Star motorcycles was... I feel dirty now Sad

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 00:09 - 03 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a bit of a look through it and couldn't see what counted as a failure, but I did find two important bits of information.
1. It's an American survey.
2. It includes accessories failing.

So the Japanese brands do very well - but it won't include many 125s, because they aren't popular in the USA. With accessories being counted, it means your big touring BMW or Harley has a lot more things to go wrong than an R6. I assume the factory fitted GPS failing carries the same weighting as the engine throwing a rod.

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:36 - 03 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So should a leather bar-end tassel on your Harley lose a strip then that would count as a failure?

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 11:51 - 03 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my Speed Four at 6 months old.

In the first 4 years it had one 'failure' it was the front brake switch which they replaced without question one day. Would seem unfair to count it as a failure.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:08 - 03 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree tbh, I mean no proper scale manufacturer makes all the bits themselves. If the bike has say a motad exhaust or Brembo calipers or a tsubaki chain, if the baffle falls out after a year or the caliper cracks, your chain snaps etc is any of this Honda or Yamaha's fault etc?

Consumables like chains, brake friction surfaces and filters, plugs maybe even fork seals should be excluded from counting as a failure. You can argue the case for other things though. Say if your Denso rectifier fails after two years that might be a failure? As the part will probably have a design life like most mechanical and electronic components.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:10 - 03 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
If the bike has say a motad exhaust or Brembo calipers or a tsubaki chain, if the baffle falls out after a year or the caliper cracks, your chain snaps etc is any of this Honda or Yamaha's fault etc?

Yes, it absolutely it. It's their choice what they fit, and you didn't buy your bike from Motad or Brembo.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:34 - 03 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Hondasaki Yamasuki or Yiying Tommys in that list I see
Buy Chinee! plenty cheapness!
You like lots!

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:51 - 03 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps they only counted bikes that survived 4 years? </original quip>

andys675
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:27 - 03 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

my street triple has failed twice

first time the battery died, the garage openly admitted they didn't have the time to condition the battery properly on the pdi, and it was 16 months old

fitted another battery, which I then leant to someone after 13 months and they gave me a new battery to replace it, a "landport" not impressed and in a hurry I didn't prep it and it died 7 months later, good news the supplier replaced it and gave me another yuasa

Mawsley
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:54 - 03 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Report produced by subscription site where headline details are released to the online media and the rest is only (maybe) available after payment?

I call utter bullshit.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:52 - 05 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Royal Enfield has some interesting claims in this area:

https://i37.servimg.com/u/f37/15/13/82/47/re10.jpg

Smile

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:42 - 09 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are suzuki doing well here because they are short on dealer/factory fit toys/accessories and have done very little to update the range?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:54 - 13 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

talkToTheHat wrote:
Are suzuki doing well here because they are short on dealer/factory fit toys/accessories and have done very little to update the range?

If they haven't ironed out every problem, twice, by now, they never will. Laughing

When did they last produce a new bike or even engine?

notabikeranym...
Formerly known as
meef

PostPosted: 21:34 - 13 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huehueheu Yamaha is the best :-----)

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:30 - 14 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
When did [Suzuki] last produce a new bike or even engine?

New V-Strom 1000?

Oh, nope, the engine is an nth generation version of the TL1000.

Actually, right up to release they were saying that it would have 3500 mile service intervals, less than the TL1000. They somehow managed to add extra reliability long after the engines were developed and produced though, which is why marketing gets paid more than engineering.

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:38 - 19 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep on iterating the design until you get it right? 1st generation might have been powerful but after n iterations you can have less power in the name of it not breaking. Is the engine in the MKII bandit that different to the early 90s GSX-600, other than the older engine has black paint and makes a mighty 86bhp?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 61 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2