Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

A mate with issues . .

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  

bugeye_bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:09 - 29 Jul 2017    Post subject: A mate with issues . . Reply with quote

Ok so I know this will come across as rather insensitive, but,
At what point do you take the piss out of a old mate who keeps failing to kill himself,

Ive been the friend there for him, and he is just an out and out Cnut,
So delicate, you cant say shit around him,

It`s got to the point( 12 months of daft pillock) that Im fed up with being Mr Nice,
I want to kill him for the stress, I hate to think what his missus must be going through, but he is just shit at trying or he is just a fecking attention seeking bitch,

Ive lost a few mates from illness and knew how much life meant to them, but this has really got to the point where I cant help him, he has become a joke in my eyes.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:13 - 29 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd treat him the same way I'd treat someone who posted something in "Random Banter" that should have been posted in "Dear Auntie BCF"

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:13 - 29 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bring him to the bbq.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:14 - 29 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always blick him.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:00 - 30 Jul 2017    Post subject: Re: A mate with issues . . Reply with quote

bugeye_bob wrote:
Ok so I know this will come across as rather insensitive, but,
At what point do you take the piss out of a old mate , and he is just an out and out Cnut,
So delicate, you cant say shit around him,
he has become a joke in my eyes.

You sound like a really good mate? Confused
Has it occurred to you that he may be suffering some form of mental illness?

If he gets on your nerves that much, just call Social Services and then tell him to stay away from you.
That way you tried to get him some help and you don't have to bother with him anymore .
Don't make his troubled world any worse by ridiculing him.

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:31 - 30 Jul 2017    Post subject: Re: A mate with issues . . Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
...Has it occurred to you that he may be suffering some form of mental illness?

If he gets on your nerves that much, just call Social Services and then tell him to stay away from you.
That way you tried to get him some help and you don't have to bother with him anymore .
Don't make his troubled world any worse by ridiculing him.

I've been in the situation that the OP has posted about, OK so it is a bit of a vague post, but I'd planned my suicide in fine detail, but my psycho (now ex) wife seemed to spoil it every time. For me I had the rope round my neck twice.... and the only reason I'm still here is I knew I was better than that. I tried speaking to friends (that she turned against me)... in the end I only had 1 true friend that stuck by me, listened to all my shit day in day out (and he was 400 miles away).

Your friend is in a bad place, he's threatening suicide but (this is from personal experience here and may be way off the mark) has been made to feel so worthless that any real suicide attempts they would just fuck up anyway so why bother.... the only other option is to threaten it to anyone who will listen in the hopes of either getting help to sort themselves out or how to do the job right.

If that makes sense?

Your friend is begging for help in the only way he can think.... again with the very limited details, maybe he needs to just break away from his family and his life will sort itself out... or find what the real problem actually is (which might involve dragging him away for a few days (he will resist A LOT), and just let him unload (a massive help to some people when they aren't being asked constantly "tell me what's wrong"), maybe he will spill the beans... maybe he won't.... but the main thing is he may realise there is someone there who will listen rather than keep pointing out that they are nagging all the time.

Sorry OP, but if I had a friend like you in MY time of need, I probably wouldn't be posting the above guff now
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:26 - 30 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need pictures of his missus to decide what do.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:17 - 30 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had two family members "attempt suicide" on multiple occasions. The first phoned me before taking an overdose, telling me that "I'd never get to him in time". I live 15 minutes away. If it was the intention to end it all, then why phone? Just get on with it. The second was "slitting wrists", but she just looked like she'd tried to bath a cat. Both half arsed attempts that were cries for attention.

I've spent a lot of energy, time, emotion and patience on the pair of them, to the detriment of my own mental and physical health and other relationships. You do get to the point where you have to make the decision that you've taken it as far as you can and get on with your own life.

On the other hand, a friend's dad just got up early one morning, took himself off to the middle of a field with a can of petrol and pulled a Thích Quang Duc. If someone really wants to off themselves, they will, and there's fuck all you can do about it.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:42 - 30 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not against the rules to break friends.

I've dropped a few of old friends because it seemed I was the one who made the effort. <<<Maybe they went off me and if true then it's still for the best. Another friend changed to the point we had nothing in common apart from memories.

My oldest and dearest friend is what most would call high maintenance but we still have belly laughing sessions and putting the world to rights.
When I've been in dark times he's there.

It's not against the rules to make new friends.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:49 - 30 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insensitive? Yup. Understandable (you)? Yup.

You need to have one more conversation with him.

Along the lines of saying that you know he's feeling crap, You've listened, you've tried to understand and help him but........ you obviously haven't been able to help because he's no different. It's time now to leave him to sort this out without you. You're putting some distance between the pair of you for the sake of your own sanity. You wish him well but you are no longer available to him. Ok, thanks, bye.

Oh, and don't forget to sign of with , "Dibbs on your stuff."

HTH
Thumbs Up

Last edited by Tracey Suntan-King on 13:08 - 30 Jul 2017; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:54 - 30 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^Good point.

Some friendships just drift apart in an almost natural way whilst others deserve an honest explanation as TSK points out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:38 - 30 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracey Suntan-King wrote:

Why?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:04 - 30 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Tracey Suntan-King wrote:

Why?

Common decency, old chap. It means...oh, never mind! Laughing
Shaggy's right about if they really want to do it, they'll just get on and do it. My brother did. He didn't do all the "cry for help" bit, but he clearly had problems. Not to say someone doing that wouldn't eventually. Cry for help maybe shows they think there is still some hope, "if only someone will listen!". Sometimes, it's when they stop bleating to you that you have to worry about them, if nothing else has changed.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:19 - 30 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just walk away and ignore him for a bit, for your own sanity. Check up on him when you are feeling strong enough to put up with his nonsense.

If he is successful in his quest to top himself, you cannot blame yourself for not being there. You can't monitor him 24/7.

You should never blame yourself for other people's chemical imbalances. You already say you've tried to be there for him. But he is listening to his narration, not yours.

Be there for him when you can, but not to the detriment of your own mental health.

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:50 - 02 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"I have a friend"

"He's an out and out cnut"

Doesn't sound like a friend. Sounds like he's attention seeking. Get him sectioned and you wont have to deal with him anymore.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:19 - 02 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
On the other hand, a friend's dad just got up early one morning, took himself off to the middle of a field with a can of petrol and pulled a Thích Quang Duc.

Shocked
I can't imagine that's a good way to go.

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:33 - 02 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

depression is a weird one. even on normal days when nothing is particularly bad you can end up feeling a horrible sad feeling in the pit of your stomach...

if I hadn't been though some deep life changing stuff then id definitely be a lot more desensitised to the whole situation. though saying that even so I think a lot of the problem is just weak minded people who don't like the fact they cant have what they want.

I just think its a case of mental strength. Life is tough for lots of people, we all have to work hard for a living and yes sometimes the girl of our dreams may break up with us etc. some people accept this as part of life, move on and carry on with their lives.

The less mentally strong take this badly and think the whole world is against them and there's nothing they can do about it.

I am speaking from experience. I have been where some of these people are, and it is just crying for attention. they need to up their views on life and realise whats important.

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:43 - 02 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs Up Still a cunt then? Thumbs Up

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:12 - 02 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

AshWebster wrote:
if I hadn't been though some deep life changing stuff then id definitely be a lot more desensitised to the whole situation. though saying that even so I think a lot of the problem is just weak minded people who don't like the fact they cant have what they want.

I just think its a case of mental strength. Life is tough for lots of people, we all have to work hard for a living and yes sometimes the girl of our dreams may break up with us etc. some people accept this as part of life, move on and carry on with their lives.

The less mentally strong take this badly and think the whole world is against them and there's nothing they can do about it.

I am speaking from experience. I have been where some of these people are, and it is just crying for attention. they need to up their views on life and realise whats important.

I wouldn't fully agree with that. I know people who are mentally strong but prone to depression, I think the perception that it's a weakness is why guys tend to keep it to themselves.

Recently discussed here: https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=320698

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:24 - 02 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there's a physiological cause then all the stiff upper lips and talk-therapy in the world aren't going to help, any more than they would fix a broken leg.

I'm not unsympathetic to mentals, just wary of being dragged down with them.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 269 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1