BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Returning

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

colincampsite
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 07:55 - 07 Feb 2017    Post subject: Returning Reply with quote

After some time out I have returned to biking and bought a Burgman 650 on which I will pass my test this Thursday 9th Feb. My hopes and plans are to see as much of the world in the 20 or so years left to me. I am 71 and excited about it all.
I have joined here to help me formulate plans and listen to the extensive advice of fellow members.
For 16 years I lived in Spain and looked after my wife, traveling in our camper van almost everywhere. Now she has gone and I have the future to myself.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:30 - 07 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a plan. I'm not sure a Burgman is a great choice for a long tour, but if you are imaginative with luggage
then you can make it work. Remember that in some countries they may not have availability of parts and consumables so keep
your bike maintained as much as possible in those that do. Carrying spare tyres may be helpful. Also worth noting
that some roads you may find aren't really all that roadlike. Make sure you wire in numerous power points to the bike,
learn some motorcycle repair basics and how to get your own wheels off, you may need to. Best of luck with your test mate. Thumbs Up

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:27 - 07 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about your wife, and best of luck with the test(s) and your touring plans.

Just so we're on the same page, are you doing your test(s) in the UK? Do you have an instructor riding to the test centre with you? I'll save the rest until we know this.

I reckon a Burgman 650 is ideal for at least European touring. Plenty of built in space, and you can add a top box or panniers for more. Remember that scooters are much more popular pretty much everywhere else than in the UK.

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 10:06 - 07 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome fellow Colin.

Azoth
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:08 - 07 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was my understanding that you have to join an autoescuela and pass the tests on their bike in Spain.

colincampsite
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 06:38 - 08 Feb 2017    Post subject: Returning Reply with quote

I rode in Spain on a 125 for which I took my test in the UK in 1996. Now I have got a 650 and am taking the bigger test. Module 2 is tomorrow (9th) and I have been using a Training School here in the North East. They have been excellent and I feel very confident.
One summer we were on Lake Garda when 3 old German lads turned up on their big bikes and tents. I thought, when I have the chance, that's for me. Now's my chance.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:35 - 08 Feb 2017    Post subject: Re: Returning Reply with quote

colincampsite wrote:
I rode in Spain on a 125 for which I took my test in the UK in 1996.

Umm. If you passed a bike test in the UK in 1996 using any bike, you should have a full A license.

Have I misunderstood? If not, have you checked what categories the DVLA thinks that you have?

https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence

They are notorious for losing motorcycle entitlement, mind.

Azoth
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:16 - 08 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's talking about the CBT, and is, I suspect, a bit of a naughty boy playing loose and fast with the rules, pleading ignorance with his 250cc and no-L-plates etc. Tbh the police in Spain aren't the brightest and it's quite probable that they wouldn't tug an old guy riding illegally for years. A young man from the UK is a football thug, an old man from the UK is a harmless, wealthy old expat, especially if he dresses like one, etc.

He did his first CBT in 1996, which activated AM or p category grandfather rights, permanently. He worked his story for Spanish plod out at that time. Then he did another more recently so he could take a mod 1. The whole plan was to plead ignorance of licensing laws since 1978 if stopped.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:42 - 08 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

That ass-u-me could do with some liposuction, given that the CBT is purely a UK fiction and has never granted an actual 125cc license.

Also, OP has already completed mod 1, which requires motorcycle theory and a CBT, so doesn't sound like he's been giving it the #Baklahf attitude to licensing.

Azoth
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:11 - 08 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was just his first CBT back in 1996. He's done another one recently so he could present it to the mod 1 examiner.

'Wot, oy did me 125 loycence' is the basic story and plea of ignorance he intentionally coined for himself in Spain. Of course he knew the CBT wasn't any form of licence. But he probably won't admit he knew, even to this day.

Twenty to one odds that this guy's a confident character. Wouldn't surprise me if he's been institutionalised for a long period to get that confident with human nature. Maybe jailed or borstalled or a long armed forces stint. Probably still willing to surreptitiously drink and drive. Only the good die young, and this is an old fox.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:18 - 08 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rufous wrote:
That was just his first CBT back in 1996. He's done another one recently so he could present it to the mod 1 examiner.

'Wot, oy did me 125 loycence' is the basic story and plea of ignorance he intentionally coined for himself in Spain. Of course he knew the CBT wasn't any form of licence. But he probably won't admit he knew, even to this day.

Twenty to one odds that this guy's a confident character. Wouldn't surprise me if he's been institutionalised for a long period to get that confident with human nature. Maybe jailed or borstalled or a long armed forces stint. Probably still willing to surreptitiously drink and drive. Only the good die young, and this is an old fox.

Rated "insightful" as there didn't seem to be a category of "Crazed Tea Leaf Reading"

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:25 - 08 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rufous wrote:
Maybe jailed or borstalled or a long armed forces stint. Probably still willing to surreptitiously drink and drive.

Oh deer.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:59 - 08 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So anyone who moved to Spain must be an ex lag cos that's where they all go, right?
You missed the cockney accent and connections to a Larndon firm. Rolling Eyes

Azoth
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:09 - 08 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnw010 wrote:
So anyone who moved to Spain must be an ex lag cos that's where they all go, right?
You missed the cockney accent and connections to a Larndon firm. Rolling Eyes

I'll leave that for the OP to explain, when he describes how he managed to get a '125 licence' in the UK enabling him to ride a 125 in Spain in 1996, before the A1 licence category was implemented in the UK. He'll say 'I didn't know, honest mate'. He's basically worked out that, unlike in Britain and Germany, the cops won't ever stop you in Spain if you're old, have an unhappy expression on your mug, wear a long coat and loafers with a scruffy shirt.

Apart from that, if you want a non-PC breakdown, it's the generation that created the Costa Del Crime and the Benidorm culture and ruined southern Spain for all the rest of us by simply being there. Plus they created that unfair reputation British people enjoy in Spain, of football hooliganism, loutishness and violence. A reputation that's been out of date for 20 years, and which the Spanish should apply to their own young people. Gen Xers obey the law at least two thirds of the time, millenials even more. But these baby boomers who went to Spain did so to take advantage of the property boom as the market opened up post-Franco, and they did it all. Running drugs across the border, driving drunk without licences, getting into bar fights, major league fraud, etc. Believe what you like. I'm useless at sweet talk but this guy will be a master, I guarantee it. Anyway, that's all at a bit of a tangent.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:14 - 08 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rufous, genuine question, do you actually know this guy in real life? It just seems like quite a lot to lay at his feet if you don't.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:32 - 08 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnw010 wrote:
Rufous, genuine question, do you actually know this guy in real life? It just seems like quite a lot to lay at his feet if you don't.

Rufous is ColinCampsite and I claim my 5 ponds! Dance!

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:43 - 08 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnw010 wrote:
Rufous, genuine question, do you actually know this guy in real life?

InB4 "I know his sort".

Some danger of splinters in that shoulder, I suspect.

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:07 - 08 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rufous wrote:
Anyway, that's all at a bit of a tangent.

As, it seems, is everything that you write.

Azoth
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:06 - 08 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt B wrote:
As, it seems, is everything that you write.

Maybe you can explain how he managed to get a '125 licence' in the UK enabling him to ride a 125 in Spain in 1996, before the A1 licence category was implemented in the UK, then? I wouldn't call that tangential at all.

The bottom line is, people don't see you how you want them to see you, when you've been breaking the law for 16 years. Tough.

colincampsite
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:07 - 08 Feb 2017    Post subject: Defence Reply with quote

Rufous is not me or he would have been looking after his own wife for 16 years in Spain because she had dementia and then had to return to the UK where she recently passed away.
One of the highlights for her was to ride as pillion while the cool breeze off the blue Med. cooled her smiling face.
I was legally entitled to ride a 125 on my licence both here and in Spain.
The Spanish Guardia do not show any favours towards older people, expats or even Man. City supporters like me.
I merely wanted to share that, although to me life seemed to have ended when they put her into a home 18 months ago, there is hope and I am determined to get the most out of the remaining 20 or so years.

Azoth
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:09 - 08 Feb 2017    Post subject: Re: Defence Reply with quote

colincampsite wrote:
Rufous is not me or he would have been looking after his own wife for 16 years in Spain because she had dementia and then had to return to the UK where she recently passed away.
One of the highlights for her was to ride as pillion while the cool breeze off the blue Med. cooled her smiling face.

Really?

Quote:
I was legally entitled to ride a 125 on my licence both here and in Spain.

Explain how that was possible for you since 1996, as you claimed.

How did you manage to get a '125 licence' in the UK enabling you to ride a 125 in Spain in 1996, before the A1 licence category was implemented in the UK?

colincampsite
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:22 - 08 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can say is that in Spain I was legally OK to ride up to 125.
You ask the local cops who stopped me many times to check my paperwork.
Anyway, I didn't register on this site to be confrontational. I used to be the first one in there but I think old age has taken it's toll and I just want to meet and talk with fellow bikers who have a sense of fun and adventure and self-preservation.
Azoth This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Redundant). Unhide this post / all posts.

colincampsite
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:46 - 08 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I can accept someone who speaks their mind sincerely, if a touch blunt (rude?) because they believe in what they say. Or say what they believe.
So you have that on your side. Honesty. Furthermore you are entitled to your views and the opportunity to express them.
Don't imagine though that all expats and older people are like some you have met who you took a dislike towards.
For some reason you think I am a bad guy but I can assure you I am not. You will have to take my word for it.
Pikeys were called gypos where I came from. They were amongst my best customers and always friendly and paid on the nail and yet they still nicked our flags and coping stones. Doesn't make them all bad.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:21 - 08 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could take a test on a 125 in 1996 and it upgraded automatically to a full licence
he probably could ride a bigger bike if he wanted to but didn't

I was going to do this in 2001 but as I have stated many times on here my scooter broke and the school lent me a bigger geared bike so I did it on that instead
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 77 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2