BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bikeshuttle to Geneva - anyone used it?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

orcster
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 01:02 - 06 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've been looking to head further south into Europe and take in Austria, Italy and Switzerland. There is an auto rail service from Düsseldorf that you can take over night to Vienna and further afield which includes your overnight accommodation onboard and the. You wake up at your destination with your bike. Plotting a nice route working our way back.

derillius24
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:44 - 08 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.bikeshuttle.co.uk/whos-the-winner-here/

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:25 - 08 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

derillius24 wrote:

Interesting version of the facts there.

Eurotunnel crossing £82
Fuel for 1420 miles (avoiding tolls) £168
Tolls £0 because avoided
Tyre wear - lets say you get 8000 miles out of a set of PR3s, the 1420 miles would be 20% of the wear in an absolute worst case scenario. that's actually (for a set @ £180) £36
Depreciation £0 because who actually factors this in when touring?

Total £286

Or £428 if you add the mythical and unexplained depreciation factor.

andru8
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:06 - 18 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt B wrote:
derillius24 wrote:

Interesting version of the facts there.

Eurotunnel crossing £82
Fuel for 1420 miles (avoiding tolls) £168
Tolls £0 because avoided
Tyre wear - lets say you get 8000 miles out of a set of PR3s, the 1420 miles would be 20% of the wear in an absolute worst case scenario. that's actually (for a set @ £180) £36
Depreciation £0 because who actually factors this in when touring?

Total £286

Or £428 if you add the mythical and unexplained depreciation factor.

They also have not included the hotel cost the night before, I think it is £80 single nor the transportation cost to Luton airport that is another £48. So you can add another £128 to the final cost.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 261 days between these two posts...

arthurmo
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 16:02 - 04 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the OP or any one else use this service this year? Thinking of doing a trip around Bosnia Croatia next year and am a bit tight on time so thought the whole time/cost thing may be worth it.

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 21:54 - 04 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Living in North East Scotland the trip there and back to the Alps is close to 2500 miles. Given that I had to change tyres in Spain last year with barely more than 2.5k on them it's an annual nightmare on how to cut out shite travelling time and miles. We realistically lose 6 days of our precious holiday on long distance commuting, plus the chances are we'll have to waste time and lots of money getting tyres changed. I've got some mates who got their bikes delivered to the South of France but no idea where they started from. Doubt it's for me though.

We're looking at Channel Tunnel to France then Switzerland, Austria, Italy and Slovenia and possibly Croatia with a quick run up the Autobahns to Holland and the ferry to Newcastle from Ijmuiden. Planning on our usual 3 weeks.

I've got spare wheels for my FJR and have even thought about sending them with fresh tyres on to my pal in Germany but haven't looked into the cost.

arthurmo
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 22:23 - 04 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose from the NE Scotland Hull is you quickest way across to Holland and them you could motorail from Düsseldorf to Verona but it’s quite expensive. The Bikeshuttle looks good but when you start to add up all the extras 2 days of arse ache on the A bahn may be a lot cheaper.
I know what you mean about tyres in Spain it took us a whole day to get them sorted this year as we arrived 2 hours before siesta and it was unheard of to work that hard before Siesta!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 134 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2