Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

125cc Motorbikes (Questions)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

BastardiX
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:16 - 08 Feb 2017    Post subject: 125cc Motorbikes (Questions) Reply with quote

Hello everyone i have few questions because i have passed my CBT for a 125cc and i still don't know which motorbike i should get i was thinking between an Aprillia RS 125 (2008 or 2009 model or Yamaha Yzf-r125 (2010 or 2013) maybe i will get a yamaha (2014/2015/2016) but i have a few question regarding those two motorbikes.

I am not a noob or beginner i have driven smaller motorbikes without license in a private area so i know few things there and there. I know that a aprillia rs is a 2 stroke engine & yamaha is a 4 stroke. Smile

1. Aprillia Rs 125

1.) Does this bike cost a lot to insure?

2.) Does it cost a lot to fill it up with petrol?

3.)To get a good exhaust sound of an Aprillia do i have to invest in modifications or changing an exhaust will be okay?

4.) Any Recommendations which exhaust to get? Personally i was thinking of getting the (arrow Titanium can)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2. Yamaha Yzf-r125

1.) Does this bike cost a lot to insure?

2.) Does it cost a lot to fill it up with petrol?

3.) Exhausts any recommendations on which to get? or do you have to do some modifications to have a good sound i don't mean really noisy or loud just good on the revs or when driving or stopping on the traffic lights.

* IF YOU HAVE ANY ADVICE OR RECOMMENDATIONS I READ ALL*

Thanks & have a good day! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Last edited by BastardiX on 23:11 - 09 Feb 2017; edited 1 time in total

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:28 - 08 Feb 2017    Post subject: Re: 125cc Motorbikes (Questions) Reply with quote

BastardiX wrote:
Hello everyone i have few questions because i have passed my CBT for a 125cc and i still don't know which motorbike i should get i was thinking between an Aprillia RS 125 (2008 or 2009 model or Yamaha Yzf-r125 (2010 or 2013) maybe i will get a yamaha (2014/2015/2016) but i have a few question regarding those two motorbikes.

I am not a noob or beginner i have driven smaller motorbikes without license in a private area so i know few things there and there. I know that a aprillia rs is a 2 stroke engine & yamaha is a 4 stroke. Smile

1. Aprillia Rs 125

- Does this bike cost a lot to insure? (If Age matters i am 20years old) not sure as don't have all your details to do a quote
- Does it cost a lot to fill it up with petrol? about a tenner at most
- To get a good exhaust sound of an Aprillia do i have to invest in modifications or changing an exhaust will be okay? ]waste of time just changing a pipe on a two stroke as jetting will be out
- Any Recommendations which exhaust to get? Personally i was thinking of getting the (arrow Titanium can)

2. Yamaha Yzf-r125

- Does this bike cost a lot to insure? (If Age matters i am 20years old)]see above do quotes online
- Does it cost a lot to fill it up with petrol?]again about a tenner at most

- And my big deal of this motorbike is i don't which year to get i like 2010 model because you have (blue and gold or black and gold) Or maybe a 2013 model where you have a (matte grey with red) i like other models as well but i don't really seem a lot of people having good exhausts on the yamahas i know companies such as akropovic or skorpion but the sound isn't that great it might be the quality of the video but if i get an older or newer version yamaha which exhaust should i get which is quite legal to have and is loud with out making any modifications to it or with modification any recommendations?
]you can only buy whats for sale so look round for a good version local to you

Also does anyone drive a motorbike around bury, whitefield or manchester any chance i could join in?
I dont judge people of their looks or motorbikes cc sizes i like to have fun and enjoy myself on a motorbike.
My name is Michal but i prefer being called Micheal as english people prefer to cut of my name and make it sound different. I dont really care but i just prefer it i am polish from poland and live in uk for about 11 years now and speak fully english i dont translate words as i am not good with that but i understand what people say to me, also i am not a big fan of chavs as they very rude people and its hard to understand them if you are a girl or boy it does not really matter to me and if your age is below mine i don't care or if you are older than me i come to by a shy person at first but if you get to know me you get the idea im a good person and cool xD
I'm not so cant help
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:50 - 08 Feb 2017    Post subject: Re: 125cc Motorbikes (Questions) Reply with quote

BastardiX wrote:
If Age matters i am 20years old

Then the correct answer is "neither of those bikes".

Instead, you can pass your tests and get an A2 license which will let you ride much more capable bikes that offer far better value for money.

Nothing looks good with L plates on it, and if you want a sporty bike, there's nothing stopping you getting one. Just pass three simple tests, and you can ride something like a (restricted) SV650S.

I'm sorry that this isn't the answer that you want, but we've seen this question many, many times, and the answer remains the same: a 125cc 11kW bike will never go as well as it looks.

davethekwak
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:05 - 08 Feb 2017    Post subject: Re: 125cc Motorbikes (Questions) Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

I'm sorry that this isn't the answer that you want, but we've seen this question many, many times, and the answer remains the same: a 125cc 11kW bike will never go as well as it looks.

Have to agree with this.
My son (19 at the time) passed his CBT and got the Yamaha, 2015 model at a good price. Thought it was fun for a couple of weeks but quickly got fed up with the lack of power. Sold the bike after 4 months and made a nice profit. Taking his A2 in april and will be getting a Ninja 300.
He also has a car, Hyundi Coupe so that probably didn't help as the bike was just for fun which he found it lacking in. Huge difference in performance between a 125 and and an A2 legal bike.

If on the other hand you want cheap motoring then go for the Yam. 4 stroke is always going to be more fuel efficient and last longer than a 2 stroke.

BastardiX
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:19 - 08 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know where you are coming from but his the thing i come from a poor family and i can't really afford doing an A2 License i have made a CBT because sometimes over the weekend my friend offers me a job and weekly i get about £75 and weekly and going to college i waste about £35 of money for transport and for me its alot of money as if i would get a motorbike it would be around £10-20 a week filling it up, (college and work weekly is about 72miles together of me traveling and waiting for a bus and it sucks. For my motorbike i will be taking a loan from the goverment as for next year i will have to pay for the course at college and i will think of maybe doing the A2 license or just getting a 125cc bike.

If i would get a A2 license i would get kawasaki ninja 300c or Yamaha R3 321cc midnight black edition.

I am just looking for reviews for the exhausts because it really interests me but other comments that dont have no subject to my subject i still understand your opinions and take it at hand.

B Button
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:41 - 08 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to give some sort of positive answer to young OP, my Van Van gave me 100 miles for just over a fiver, so you should be saving money on your commute to college.
For insurance DYOR - try a comparison site, e.g. www.moneysavingexpert.com to get premium quotes from a range of brokers.
Stay safe.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 20:03 - 08 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

BastardiX wrote:
I know where you are coming from but his the thing i come from a poor family and i can't really afford doing an A2 License

The bikes you posted about are like £2.5k. You could do the A2 and buy a 600 for that much.

mrtisme
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:59 - 08 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I right in thinking that some of the Aprilia rs 125's aren't learner legal because of the power output or somesuch nonsense but later 4 stroke versions are.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:52 - 08 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrtisme wrote:
Am I right in thinking that some of the Aprilia rs 125's aren't learner legal because of the power output or somesuch nonsense but later 4 stroke versions are.

It's about the power *and* power to weight ratio. An unrestricted 2 stroke RS125 is round about 30BHP IIRC.

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:10 - 09 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're looking to buy a loud exhaust for the 125, the price of that alone would pay for the tests.

Also, before buying any of the two bikes you mentioned, check out the insurance for them. You may be in for an unpleasant surprise.

I've owned an R125 in the past and fuel wise they are very cheap to run. However, it will need servicing very regularly.

So basically, apart from fuel, you'll need the following :

Servicing = at least £100+ each time.

Replacing tyres, chain, sprockets and other bits as required = more £'s

Oil at least every 1800 miles.

Road tax (or whatever it's called nowadays)

Insurance = many £'s

Plus your helmet, gloves, motorcycle boots, jacket and tousers. = more £'s.

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.

BastardiX
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 01:06 - 09 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing your opinions it gives me a lot to think about on what i should really be doing, because i am going around in circles in mind what i should really do because doing an A2 license will cost me around £899 i am okay with it but if i fail it will be a mistake..

I know how much money i will be wasting for clothing:

- Helmet around £130 - 160
- Jacket £124 - 226
- Gloves £99

At first i was thinking of doing CBT then getting a cheap 125cc to have some experience with the bike i know for my age i should really go for A2 i understand what you mean but i preffer to things slow..

As doing CBT easy to complete getting a bike 125cc no more than £1000 okay.. Very Happy

I am thinking of getting this but after reading comments that you will have to check this and this out because running it will cost me alot.
Its got a cheap price on it and i think it might be broke or something at first i was thinking of getting a rs 125 for £2500 with everything new in it and runs smoothly below i show motorbikes sales. Very Happy

1. Aprillia rs 125 just about £1000
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/aprilia-rs-125-/172520084100?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

2. Aprillia rs 125 just about £2500
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aprilia-rs125-2009-3-612-miles-/272537732016?hash=item3f7483c3b0:g:WMUAAOSwjDZYl1H1

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:59 - 09 Feb 2017    Post subject: Good luck. Reply with quote

You have enough to do a2 and get a decent bike....do it.[/i]

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 02:01 - 09 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me say this loud and clear, right here, at the beginning... there's only two good reasons for 125's

a) Too Young for a higher Licence.. - L-Plate's are still for learner's to learn, not dodgers to pretend... but 17-19y olds are limited to the A1-125 only licence.

b) CHEAPS..
- £17 a year road tax.. is a good start.
- 'Pottetial' for high, 70+ish MPG could be useful.
- Possibly lower cost, longer life, service spares, like tyres and chains, ca help

There are an awful lot more very DAFT reasons for 125's... and with a shed full of the bludy things, that 'Daft' IS probably the reason I have them! But.. whilst I may be daft, I'm not utterly MAD, and certainly not deluded enough to try kid myself that any of my reasons for effing about with tiddlers is particularly 'sensible'.

BastardiX wrote:
1. Aprillia Rs 125

A radically tuned two-stroke miniature sports-bike, that is lucky to return 50mpg, (as bad as my 750, and worse than most 500's!) To which you have to add high-grade two-stroke oil, which is adds about 20 pence per liter to the pump-price of the petrol.... This does NOT really suggest a good start for 'cheap' biking, before you begin!

Fat that it then lists, in the owner's book, pistons, cylinders and crank-shafts as 'service replaceable parts' along with the spark plug!

Errrr.. yeah.. this is NOT exactly a low-cost, low maintenance 'economy' motorcycle, before you consider, that youngest will be pushing a decade old, and likely have had a succession of know-little owners, more interested in ragging the shit out of it everywhere, than actually doing even the basic maintenance in the book...

Give that most 125's are sore used and abused, even the 'sensible' ones; more likely owed by more 'sensible' ower/rders, your odds of finding one of these that is anything other than a money pit, that will have you scratch head i the shed with spanners, more often and for longer than you'd spend at the bus-stop, is at the best, slim.

BastardiX wrote:
2. Yamaha Yzf-r125

This is a small commuter bike in a fettish outfit.
That toys-r-us dress-up outfit it has on that says "When I grow up I want to be an R1!", unfortunately doesn't endow it with any greater performance than typical 125 commuter, or make t look any better... just look slightly ridiculous, and cost more!

Service schedule is a little more 'sensible', and as a four-stroke you only have to slosh maybe half a pint of engine new engine oil into it its sump every 1500 miles or so, and change the spark-plug and filters from time to time, while it is likely to return something in the 90mpg region. It could be reasonably easy on the wallet to run.... which is small solace after taking the big hit of buying a expensive 125 t start with, ad paying a lot ore to insure it, and having to pay some-one to take its fettish-frock off or spend extra time to DIY, for maintenance it still needs.

That, actually shouldn't bee too bad, or not a lot worse than other 125 commuters, as long as its not dicked with, when muggering with exhausts and air-filters looking for more power, they seem prone to eating thier own pistons, and being even more trouble than a two-stroke to put right.

But, that fettish-frock is an expensive liablity, ad if crashed, whch these things are more likely to be they are not going to keep them laughable looks for long, and replacement parts are daftly expensive. Other vanities, like tyres tend to be too.

I'm actually not so sure than a YZF-R125 is any more 'sensible' than an RS125.... as an occasional use 'toy', with the full quota of performance the RS125 might have, but isn't permitted by A1 or L-Plate regs, one could be a bit of 'fun' for a Sunny Sunday thrash, provided I didn't expect it to get me to work on Monday morning, ad limited use and miles keeping maintenance 'reasonable'... but still likely no cheaper than a real deal R6 or ZX6R... just a different, more condensed 'experience' trying to keep it n the buzz-belt, and a quick, that is slightly more accessible in the real world. YZF-R125... yeah... doesn't really offer anythg a YBR125 doesn't offer more of, and for less money.. apart from perhaps the misguided aprobation of folk that dont know what they are looking at ad dont spot the L-Plate, who think it 'must' be a fast motorbike......

Back to top.. you want CHEAPS, you don't get it spending over the odds on more expensive to buy, more expensive to run, fashion statements.

And in the 125 world, cheaps doesn't come as standard. They live hard lives in the hands of most no or care little commuters ad or learners. Yet as they are 125's and Learner-Legal, they command a huge premium of their price they often don't deserve, and likely to loose any 'chaps' trying to make them work properly.

BastardiX wrote:
I know where you are coming from but his the thing i come from a poor family
Spare him his life, from this monstrosity... Mama-Mia.. etc Laughing
BastardiX wrote:
and i can't really afford doing an A2

If you cant afford to get a licence - you cat afford a bike.. end of.

L-Plates are for LEARNERS to LEARN how to ride and pass tests. They are NOT supposed to be for prannies to play at it pretending to be learners, avoiding the tests....

And PROBABLY spending MORE money in the process, than getting their shit together and getting a licence!

First up; NOTHING in law says you 'have' to do a DAS course to get a licence. All law requires is you turn up to do tests on a bike that meets requirements for tests ad licence you wish to obtain. Doesn't matter f that's an A1-125 only licence, A2, 45bh 'restricted' licence of the full A, ride-what-you-like one. ALL you need do s turn up to test center with an appointment, with appropriate bike to take tests on, and do whatever man with cilp-bard asks of you.

A-N-D.. what they might ask of you, is't actually all that difficult. In mod 1 'slow speed' exercises, there may be a few more convluted demonstrations of technique to perform like a seal begging a fish, but, it really shouldn't be THAT ticky, and if you cant do it how the hell do you manage to climb on a buss without bashing your face o the ticket machne? Mod 2? Is basically a simulated cross-town commute; obeying road laws, and not making yourself a hazard to other navigation.

WHICH yo are currently planning to do, anyway, on a 125... which begs suggestion, IF you can handle daily commute... you can pass tests... if not.. you probably shouldn't be contemplating dodging tests and daily commuting on L-Plates!

Back to the matter of costs..... as said, absolutely no 'law' says you HAVE to take a training course... but, obviously, that makes it a little easier to get a test eligble A2 or Abike to a test to do it on. But, training courses are supposed to be for the LEARNING which is for LIFE not just LICENCES.

Apart from the ecconomic expedience of proving a bike for you to do tests on, 'value' n a course should be the learning you get along the way, which is slightly harder to 'value', especially as its very difficult to put a price o crashes you DON'T have because of it....

Ponder that otion; ALL the 'Cheaps' of any bike go out the window, if you dump it. Whatever the predicted running costs, bend handlebars, broken indicators, and skuffed paintwork COSTS..

Usually also hurts getting it.... but hey, your young, dumb and numb.. you can take it I'm sure!.. well, as long as it don't kill you... but hey? Look at this way, you are more likely to get deaded at your age from a spiked drink or a bad 'e' than on a motorbike... so, don't worry about it.

BUT, going t alone on a 125 and L's IS the school of hard-knocks. It DOESN'T teach you how to ride... it just punishes you for cocking it up! So them lessons come hard, and even if you are supple enough for the hurt to not be so much, will still hit you in the wallet. WHERE, £100 for a crash-helmet that is good for ONE crash, is easy to see value in... "Saved my head, that did!".. add up handlbars, indicator lenses, residual value bashing dents the tank, AND, all told, you DON'T need to save many crashes, or even particularly bad ones, and learning you get on a course, if it saves you just ONE, is likely to have paid for itself.... whether you will ever 'see' that crash you don't have to appreciate that value, remains... but use your imagination, THIS is what training is supposed to be for.

A-N-D, unlike a crash hat that, even if you don't bash it in a off, only have a service life of three to five years, or other gear that's likewise 'durable'.. LEARNING IS FOR LIFE... it never wears out, it cant be damaged or stolen, it stays in your head as long as you have it; it DOESN'T put up insurance premiums, but can lower them, and declaring it wont have them putting up your premium for 'performance enhancing' mods, that probably also take value off your bike....

It is ALL win, and it pays for itself in SO many other ways apart from just crashes you don't have.. NOT licences t may let you get.

PONDER that lot before saying you cant afford!!! BUT if more argument is required!

As mentioned, 125's as you don't have to have a proper licence for them, command a premium in the market. They tend not to be the most expense bikes i the shop to start with, though the ones you are drooling over were far from the cheapest, and a YZF-R125 was new in the show-rooms more expensive than an SV650, or other far more real world 'fast' sporty commuter.

You don't get much, in the Learner-Legal market, that is even MOT'd for the road you might ride away, for £500, and not a lot likely to be all that easy to live with for under £1000. And in that market begger's cant be choosers!

About half of all bikes registered are under 125cc, but around 2/3 of them are scooters and moped. So the 'pool' of whats on offer is rather small, and as mentioned tends to be quite sore used and abused, and as they 'suggest' cheap bus fare beating transport without a licence there's an awful lot more folk chasing any that's on offer than there are bikes for them to buy!

You are more likely to get somethig, and have a bit f choice over it i the £1000-£2000 rage, where, leaping out as all-round best VFM the Yamaha YBR stands tall; and fairly fresh 3 or 4 year old examples, the new bike depreciation paid for by former owner, frst MOT assuring more useful life left in it than they have used, whilst basic utliteran transport, it does offer moderately low cost ridng, with good support for spares, and easy 'livability, likely to be the cheapest 125 per mile, by many many miles.... for around the £1500 mark... which likely would't find you anything but a scrap-heap refugee of a YZF-R125 and probably a box of bits that 'just needs some TLC for test' of a 'prillia! To get something a little more likely to serve daily commuter use and not ost too much tme, money ad frustration n reakdowns and repairs, you WOULD have to be looking at the over £2K market to get a better R125, and even then, it would likely be older and more sore used...

SO, already, picking a newer YBR over more pretentious YZF, just on the buy price you'd likely save the cost of an A2 course, before adding n the savings on the insurance and repairs newer less convoluted and less likely dicked with bike will need.

DO the course... and now, whole world of 'big-bikes' is opened up to you.. or at least them that are or may be restricted to A2....

Absolute most miser mile bike you can get, but probably would never want, which s one of the reasons its such a miser miles, is an old Honda CD200 Benly. 200cc & 15bhp, any-one with a licence to ride one, could have an awful lot more, so probably wouldn't bother, its no more than they had from a 125... well, it IS, those extra 75cc do gve it a noticeable bit more low down grunt, which can be quite useful squitring nto gaps and stuff in town traffic.. but no, its not exactly 'exiting'. IS however 'cheap'. 125 like power, it returns 125 like mpg, AND those few extra cc's do man ts likely to not be 'so' thrashed to get every where, and will likely more often return better numbers than worse. Meanwhile, a 'sensible' commuter bike, it doesn't have expensive fettish-frock an expensive liability around its motor; it doesn't rake more expensive fashion victim 'sports' compound tyres likely to wear out double quik, OK costs a bit more to tax, but overall running costs will ted to be a damn site lower, and aot as low as you can go for a bike. Insurance o these thigs is daftly low, and usually a lot less than for even a 'sensble' 125, let alone one loaded for the numpy factor of having pretentious plastics! AND you can get something ready to ride, for as little as £300! £500 should get you something, for a £500 bike, stunningly tidy and well looked after!

Take THAT as your bane line.... cost of course, to get a licence, and you could save over a THOUSAND POUNDS to buy a bike like that, which offers as much real world performance as a fettish-frocked R125... yet, costs even less to run, AND you get that learning-for life training for the licence to make it look 100+ times better by NOT having to display an L-Plate, to make it even cheaper in not havng to cost crashes yu don't have because of it.

OK, you might not be able to brig yourself to throw a leg over something so old and ugly..... BUT.... plenty of other offerings out there in the A2 world.

Next up for cheaps wold be the Kawasaki ER5. These are cheap as chips, and again £500 ought get you something pretty useful. They DO have be tendency to be run into the ground by every day commuters, so avoid the 'free to good home' or 'just need fork seals for test' offerings in the sub £500 bracket; nd you should be able to find, for well under £700 a pretty tidy, useful reliable bike, that has full compiment of A2 45bp, three times what you'd OT get dickg with an R125.... that was likely cheaper to insre, and did as if not more miles to the gallon, for extra annual road tax.

Must have 'sporty', then we get round to the ever offered SV650, which like for like coditon wise, will add a bit over prce of a better ER5, or may bag taking a slightly scruffer example, BUT, again would give you 3x the power of a 125, some slightly sportier looks, accentuated by lack of an L-Plate, AND running costs that are almost garanteed to be no more than an R125....

Take that LAST case-example, AND for what you DONT spen on a 'fancy-fettish-frocked' 125, you can have an A2 course, and a bike that offers a hell of a lot more power and real world performance not only than the fettish-frocked 125, but the fickle two-stroke one, AND give it you reliably, every day, with likely less hassle or spanner scratching.

AND that training that should save crashes....

From the very start, your ideas are at odds with reality. IF you have the money, and MUST have 'sporty' bike... trying to get t on L-Plates is short changing yourself on the amount of 'sporty' you could have, AND costing you extra NOT to get it.

IF you want cheap bus-fare beating wheels... well, more sensible 125's can deliver it... but NOT the ones you are attracted to. AND absolutely no reason to pranny about on one of them on L-s, tryng to 'dodge' tests. YBR vs YZF125 comparison shows that choice would save you price of a course, as well as running costs, as well as likely saicl more reliable less hassl bike under your bum, BUT you could save even that money self booking tests and doing them DIY on your own 125, you could ride to and from tests... LIKE I SAID... they don't ask any more of you than a simulated commute you are planning anyway, IF you can do that, you can do tests.. if NOT then you probably shouldn't be thinking of commuting.

Ether way, its all 'win' ad you get to ave money, and or get more for your money, than indulging your nievty THINKING, you have to do it on a 125 and L's to afford anything, YET still aspiring to looks and possible performance of bikes you cant have on L's, that will steal any 'cheaps' you are unlikely to find in the first place.

BastardiX wrote:
i waste about £35 of money for transport and for me its alot of money as if i would get a motorbike it would be around £10-20 a week filling it up, (college and work weekly is about 72miles together of me traveling and waiting for a bus and it sucks.

Bikes cost more than just petrol, mate!

£35 per week, what 30 weeks of the year, to and from college, is a annual cost of £1000 or so.

You would be lucky to insure a bike at 19 for that little money, with the "Including Commuting" box ticked. Regardless of its engine size or your licence entitlement.

Lets kick the kiddology that this 'project' is likely to save you anything over bus fares into touch from the start.

It s going to cost you MORE, ad likely a LOT more, ad you will only get value from that fromdefraying those added costs over more miles, you probably dont velue eough to do by bus at the moment... and STILL end up catching the bus, when its cold icy, windy or miserable, or party demands you keep your cloths clean and lets you have a drink or four...

72 miles a week? If you get more than 70pg from anything you are doing pretty good. 125's are more likely to achieve or better it, but how you ride will make more difference., I tend to get closer to that more often not thrashing the 750, that has the 'extra' on hand and egs a bit more sensible of me, than the teen idiocy indulge on the tiddlers that oft sees me in the same mpg ball-park.

But, that's about a gallon of go-juice, and Gallon of petrol is about £6. Insuring 125 for my daughter, without "+commuting" on it was over £500, for an older more 'sensible' 4-stroke 125. Putting that on the 'monthly' plan, isn't pay-as-you-go, its a credit plan on top of the years policy, and that typically adds around 30% as well as penalties for cancelling or swapping. But addng "+Commutng" and liftng the estimated anal miles to cover commuter mileage, you ARE looking at the tick end of a grand ad more than your bus-fares just on the up-front, without adding possibly anther £300 on the credt charges.

Tax, on a tiddler is just £17 a year. Cant recall what it is on a 500, about £60 ish? Its £90 on the 750 and anything bigger. Difference looks big, but even the £90 a year on a 650+cc bike is pretty small potatoes in comparison to the insurance, let alone your all in running costs, when yo tally fuel and maintenance over and above.

Basic maintenance on a tiddler, begs an oil change about every 1000miles.. but only uses 300cc or so; £20 a gallon can, cos it can get away with the cheap stuff, aught last 15,ooo miles. That's probably not so far off the same for the bigger bikes, that take more each time but beg them less often, ad do demand slightly more expensive oil, BUT, we are looking at £5-10 difference, even less than tax, over 5x the miles you 'need' t do going to and from tech.

A spark plugs every couple of oil changes; add some chain lube to chuck at it every week, and add maybe a new chain and sprockets when the oil runs out... NOW maintenance costs start to ramp, and drastically...

AND at this point, the 'extra' you have spent over bus-fares to buy, tax, and insure a bike, is not being clawed back by 'extra' leisure miles... that are starting to add more and more significant costs to the 'all in' you have already over spent on, and those extra miles AREN'T free.. you have already paid a chunk towards them, and they are still costing you extra i fuel and maintenance to get 'some' value fro what you have already over-spent.

AND, this 'idea' that the whole gammot is paid for by your bus-fares, that wasn't really true to start with, is getting ever less so.

WHICH all conspires to a conclusion... IF you want a bike... you have to be prepared to pay for it... and your bus-fares probably wont do that for you.

125's can be cheap... but not expensive ones bought for presumed looks or performance they probably dont have.

You MIGHT find some cheaps, on a more sensible economy commuter 125.. but still no reason it do it on L-s... and you would likely find as much or more genuine cheaps gettng your A2 aled down and looking at bigger bkes that dont command the learner-loading. STILL likely cost more than your bus-fare, but, do offer cheap wheels, and/or more chaps or ore performance than you will struggle to find in 125 world.

AND that 'saving', more than likely pay for the cost of a course and tests, just in giving you access to them cheaper usually more powerful bikes, as WELL as savigs fro crashes you don't have having got the learning to stay alive, NOT just get a licence.

BUT conclusion s that you have a lot of ideas and not a lot of knowing, and the errors in your ideas are likely to frustrate you and NOT give you what you want, even more less of what you hope for... all for the sake of?

Putting cart before the horse, ad getting the licence, before worrying about what bike to buy!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:15 - 09 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want cheap then buy a CG or YBR 125. You can get them really cheap. If you don't think they are good enough, get your A2 license and buy something bigger.

The sporty looking 125s might look better and might perform slightly better but the difference won't be huge. The cost will be significantly greater especially if you're looking at two strokes. For every day transport the two stroke RS125 will not be cheap.

For the cost of a decent YZF-R125 you will get an A2 license and a cheap commuter like a CB500 no problem and it will perform better without a huge difference in running costs. Insurance may also be cheaper.

I like 125s and I ride mine regularly but if you're old enough and want more performance it's not the best choice. If you just want really cheap transport then buy a sensible 125 and be happy, not an expensive one in a frock.

Also money spent on protective clothing is not wasted. It's the only thing between you and significant injury if you come off. Get decent boots and trousers as well. Knees often hit the ground hard - I've seen what can happen with knee pads; I don't want to see the results without.

Both gear and a license are far more valuable and important that a nice sounding aftermarket exhaust!

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:00 - 09 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

BastardiX wrote:

first one is at 1000 reserve not met yet so will go up

and in Norfolk

the second is in Sheffield

where about in the uk are you
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:24 - 09 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

More specifically the first one says Full Power which means it's not licence legal for OP anyway - the punishment is the same if he gets caught as riding a firebusa.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 10:03 - 09 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two stroke 125's are made the be derestricted. Thumbs Up

But you're old enough to get an A2 license so there's no need to waste your time wobbling around with L plates on.

If you're looking at an RS125 that costs £2,500 then you've got more than enough money to get your A2 license and get an A2 bike. There's a good chance you'll find insurance for something a bit bigger than a 125 actually works out cheaper than insurance for a 125. That's because 125's are ridden by kids who crash them frequently for the fun of it.

davethekwak
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 10:20 - 09 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
More specifically the first one says Full Power which means it's not licence legal for OP anyway - the punishment is the same if he gets caught as riding a firebusa.

and the second one states de-restricted exhaust.
Neither are legal on just a CBT

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:31 - 09 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

BastardiX wrote:
I know how much money i will be wasting for clothing:

Investing. Also, factor in security. If you're keeping a bike outside - any bike = you'll want a ground anchor and a 19mm Pragmasis chain, at least.

We get that you want to be riding around on a good looking 125 right now. However, the novelty will quickly wear off when you realise how limited an 11kW bike is.

An unrestricted 2-stroke will be more fun, but not legal for your provisionaL entitlement, and it won't be good on fuel.

And we are quite serious that 125s can be surprisingly expensive to insure.

Don't take our word for it, get some quotes. Try: https://www.thebikeinsurer.co.uk/

And get quotes on a YZF-R125 with a CBT, versus (e.g.) an SV650S with an A2 license.

Snowdonia Rider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:36 - 09 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put that money and get change towards an A2 licence. If you really must get a 125, out of your choices get the Yamaha so you can spend more time riding and less time fixing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:20 - 09 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, to summarise, you come from a poor family, and need to buy a motorbike to save you money in transport costs

So why oh why are you looking at expensive bikes, and not only that, but modifying expensive bikes?

What's wrong with spending say £750 on a half decent 2nd hand YBR and running around on that for a while?

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:30 - 09 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizzoid wrote:
So, to summarise, you come from a poor family, and need to buy a motorbike to save you money in transport costs

So why oh why are you looking at expensive bikes, and not only that, but modifying expensive bikes?

What's wrong with spending say £750 on a half decent 2nd hand YBR and running around on that for a while?

That summarised exactly what I was thinking ... he says he wants to save money, and then seems to want to go down the most expensive route possible.

Get a cheap 125, run around on that, save the difference then spend it on A2 and a decent bike.

Or go straight to A2.

BastardiX
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:02 - 09 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So i get the way you a coming from and i will be getting a government loan that will help me pay for my course and the rest of the money will be mine and that will be around £6700 the money that will be left i will probably do a full license on a car and maybe A2 but i don't really want to do a A2 because i am not really ready for it i would like to enjoy some time on a lower cc bike and have some experience i know that getting a 125cc want really help me in such way but i do consider the information that people from this forum give that was the point of me even posting my question on this forum if i was getting an A2 license or already have it i wouldn't be asking questions because i already made my research on motorbikes that i will consider buying.

Firstly i live around Manchester and transport to get a motorbike that i want buy a friend offers me a drive which then how much money he wastes on the petrol i work it other at his family business.

Secondary, I am not talking about a loan from a bank its a government loan and you will have to pay the money back when i am earning amounts of money to give the money back i could even give the money back when i am in my 60s its not really a bad deal.

I know that they motorbikes that i have showed from ebay aren't the cheapest and the best bikes and i haven't stated that i will be getting them i just though about getting them i do really like aprillia rs 125 and i want be wasting more than £2000 on a 125cc i don't really know any motorbikes that i like other than yamaha, honda cbr, or aprilia, ktm that i like and its my choice what i do with the money or the choice of picking a bike, because if i get a bike that i don't want then whats the point of me driving it want be fun for me if you....

DO KNOW ANY GOOD LOOKING MOTORBIKES UNDER £1500 GIVE SOME RECOMMENDATIONS.

* I don't want to buy a motorbike with "no heart" broken in pieces not being look after properly, smashed running not good i want a bike that is not damaged and runs smoothly getting a bike like that is hard to find so before i purchase one i ask the owners to tell me more about the motorbike.

I go through reviews and the features of the bike and style and design of the bike i like a sporty looking bike.

I will read all the posts but i want replay to all because some just take off the grid and they aren't really answering my questions which sucks.
A forum is a forum they are just trying to earn some posts probably.

I understand others opinions and advice and that trying to help me out!

* You can judge but i don't really care about it i just move forward some people just don't understand the question that i have asked*

Criticising other people its not really showing good colours try to keep on the good track and just try to give a good advice i don't really want to miss something out and be regretting it because i called my friend "stupid".
He knows understands where i am coming from and we are good friends but he bought a yamaha 50cc scooter and bought it for £2200 and i am like really? for that kind of money you can get a 125cc and he upgraded the engine to 70cc then it was wasting to much petrol and then he downgraded to 50cc again...

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:29 - 10 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

BastardiX wrote:
but he bought a yamaha 50cc scooter and bought it for £2200 and i am like really? for that kind of money you can get a 125cc and he upgraded the engine to 70cc then it was wasting to much petrol and then he downgraded to 50cc again...

Jesus H Tittyfucking Christ kids these days are dense.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:34 - 10 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
Let me say this loud and clear, right here, at the beginning... !

Well he sure as hell ain't gonna read to the end. That's 60 paragraphs Tef. Sixty. It took me half an hour just to scroll through it!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 76 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2