Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Brand new rider with many questions (video inside)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

matthews1892
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:27 - 08 Feb 2017    Post subject: Brand new rider with many questions (video inside) Reply with quote

Good evening one and all,

After lurking on the forums for quite some time whilst looking into getting a bike, i have decided to actually register!

So on Friday just gone i passed my CBT and bought myself a CBF125 2011, i do fully intend on getting my full license through the DAS but i needed to get on the road ASAP and as a new rider and someone who hasn't ever driven on the road i thought it best to start out with the CBT way.

I feel like i have ridden it non stop since Friday and i have got a couple of questions that i cant seem to find the answers to;

1) i am not sure if it is because i simply need more practice and need to feel a bit more comfortable but it would seem when in traffic or maybe pottering along in 2nd gear, that even the absolute slightest amount of twist causes the bike to want to accelerate pretty sharply, there seems to be no middle ground, either 0 acceleration and its engine braking or quite a forceful take off. It feels as if i just have to look at the accelerator and it wants to go!?

2) the engine braking is very very harsh, the moment i take off the throttle it pulls me hard forward with braking, i drop my speed very quickly almost as if i am holding onto the brake myself.

3) i made my first mistake when riding today and it kinda gave me the shakes, i have uploaded the footage shot on my gopro since i think its best to get other riders to tell me what i did wrong and where i can improve; just as a pretense to the video, this is a very tight hairpin turn, i would have gone wider to the right but with the bus coming the other direction i feel this could have been more unsafe. obviously you can hear that i do twist the throttle too hard which i have learnt from but other than that, what else did i do wrong?

https://youtu.be/fOHv0b-CS0o

Many thanks guys, and hi again!

Stalk
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:36 - 08 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will get used to the acceleration and engine braking, soon the acceleration will seem pedestrian. In traffic you can smooth out the throttle with a touch of rear brake. It's just practice.

If my 9stone 18 year old daughter could do it, you will be fine. Where are you based?

matthews1892
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:41 - 08 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, it just seems to me at least its almost impossible to crawl along at town traffic pace in second without doing kangaroo jumps when touching the throttle, I am down in Hastings (East Sussex)

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:43 - 08 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

if u use Facebook, join the CBF125 owners group, surprisingly helpful bunch with a wealth of knowledge Thumbs Up

I had a CBF125, briefly, they are not great, but they are okay, need looking after and more TLC than a CG125 of yore, but.

oh, and something about fuel filter, or fuel, or fuel pump, or fuel pump filter, or some such is something that they tell everyone Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Stalk
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:51 - 08 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If traffic is crawling, hang back a bit. 2 second rule and all that, but you will need to be a bit tighter in slow traffic or some numpty will overtake because gap. If you leave a bit of space and read 3 or 4 cars in front you will soon learn to anticipate the traffic, therefore smoother on the controls including rear brake, and will have a comfortable and relaxing ride. Shame you're so far away otherwise we could go ride out. You probably just need a few pointers

kerr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:01 - 08 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just need to get used to the bike, it will all become second nature soon enough, especially seeing as your learning in shit weather, when the good weather comes round it'll be a breeze.
As far as your cornering mistake and slow control go, the rear break is your friend here, you can drag it while still being on the power.
Also try pulling in the clutch and easing it out for the slow corners, i always remember my instructor on my cbt telling me not to be afraid of riding the clutch on a bike.

Azoth
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:04 - 08 Feb 2017    Post subject: Re: Brand new rider with many questions (video inside) Reply with quote

matthews1892 wrote:
3) i made my first mistake

I watched it and you're right. You can't afford to make mistakes like that. Don't do it. It's extremely dangerous to drift into the other lane. Why did it happen?

1) It was about confidence and looking where you're going. You should look at where you want to go, not where you are going or where you think you're going. Eyes up at the road some distance ahead. Don't look down at the front wheel. All of these things become a little more difficult if you don't have confidence that you'll make the turn, but you've got to do them anyway. Do it this way even if you suspect you've entered the turn a bit too fast or on the wrong line. Very important stuff.
2) Don't change gear in the middle of your turn. Change gear before you turn. You want to choose your entry speed and the right gear before you turn the bike. You changed gear at the apex of your turn. Changing gear mid-turn makes bikes difficult to control.
3) You turned the handlebar the wrong way. At any speed above about 15mph, you initiate a turn by countersteering. If this seems difficult, try adjusting your handlebars to make them as flat (as parallel to the ground) as possible.

The other stuff - engine braking, etc. is much less dangerous than going wide into the other lane.

matthews1892
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:12 - 08 Feb 2017    Post subject: Re: Brand new rider with many questions (video inside) Reply with quote

Rufous wrote:
matthews1892 wrote:
3) i made my first mistake

I watched it and you're right. You can't afford to make mistakes like that. Don't do it. It's extremely dangerous to drift into the other lane. Why did it happen?

1) It was about confidence and looking where you're going. You should look at where you want to go, not where you are going or where you think you're going. Eyes up at the road some distance ahead. Don't look down at the front wheel. All of these things become a little more difficult if you don't have confidence that you'll make the turn, but you've got to do them anyway. Do it this way even if you suspect you've entered the turn a bit too fast or on the wrong line. Very important stuff.
2) Don't change gear in the middle of your turn. Change gear before you turn. You want to choose your entry speed and the right gear before you turn the bike. You changed gear at the apex of your turn. Changing gear mid-turn makes bikes difficult to control.
3) You turned the handlebar the wrong way. At any speed above about 15mph, you initiate a turn by countersteering. If this seems difficult, try adjusting your handlebars to make them as flat (as parallel to the ground) as possible.

The other stuff - engine braking, etc. is much less dangerous than going wide into the other lane.

I appreciate the time you took to write and reply, but i didnt change gear apart from at the 6 second mark, i was using the clutch the way through but you are right, I probably was very much target fixed on the car oncoming.

I should have used the rear brake you guys are correct (obviously) it is a notorious corner around here yet i guess that makes no excuses for crossing into oncoming traffic.

B0ndy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:48 - 08 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You weren't looking where you wanted to go

Scythe
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 22:57 - 08 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a corner like that (left hairpin) you want to be closer to the centre line, slow down, put it into a low gear (2nd will probably do with a 125), look where you want to go, turn and apply throttle to bring the bike around the corner.

Your main mistake there was trying to cut the corner, take a tight corner wider and slower instead.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 23:01 - 08 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your position going into the corner was crap, you should have been further to the right to give you more room to turn.

You turned in too early.

You didn't look round the corner. You should have been looking where you wanted to go.

You didn't shift your weight, I'm not talking Valentino Style hanging off but you should have shifted weight to the inside of the bike. i.e. Move your chin closer to the mirror.

You didn't lean the bike over, you were perpendicular to the ground bikes don't like turn upright.

You had no need to grab the clutch get the bike in the right gear and do all your breaking in a straight line, you want to keep a positive throttle whilst cornering (maintaining on increasing speed). If you are slowing the front suspension dips and it unsettles the bike.

That was truly awful cornering, you did pretty much everything wrong but at least you are aware and trying to sort it Thumbs Up

This is a bit extreme but this is the body position and head movement you should be going for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXWVYtsf43Y

Analogkid
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:01 - 08 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ride the clutch more, if you have come from a car you'll be usd to controlling speed (slower speeds) with throttle, on a bike at low speed try keeping the throttle constant and using the clutch (and perhaps rear brake) to control speed, it takes a little getting used too but you'll get there, also if 2nd is too 'snatchy' try being in 3rd and or using clutch and brake control as above.

Good advice too from others on counter steering and looking at where you want to go, you didn't make the turn because you were concerned about the bus and where looking there instead of the apex, and then up the road, that's why you ended up crossing lane, you then panicked and let clutch out too quickly causing you to jerk away, all pretty natural reactions that you have to learn to overcome, and don't bother apologising if it means you lose more control taking your hand off the bars at a tricky moment, that could have been another accident, a nod of the head if you really must.

Persevere it will get easier and more natural as you develop the muscle memory.

chris-red

PostPosted: 23:05 - 08 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I don't think the counter steering advice is helpful. No one learns to counter steer they only learn that they already do it. IMO turning the bars differently wouldn't have helped in that situation there was too much else wrong, counter steering will come when you correct everything else.

Another thing I can't tell you where doing wrong but I'm willing to bet you were is that you were rigidly tense. You should be relaxed and loose on the bike.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 23:08 - 08 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur with m'lurn'd colleagues: that was classic target fixation.

But don't sweat it. Most of us do it at some point, you survived it, and you can learn from it.

Don't be afraid to slow riiiight down for tight bends and roundabouts. Sod anyone tailgating you, they have no idea what it's like trying to get a 1-wheel drive vehicle to make those manoeuvres on wet, greasy roads.

As for the kangaroo hopping, that could genuinely be a problem with the bike. CBFs were/are notorious for it, although they usually do in hot weather. You may just have a knackered fuel pump or a clogged injector. Of course, you may not, but without riding the bike, all we can do is point out that it is a known issue on some of them.

6r4h4m
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:08 - 08 Feb 2017    Post subject: Re: Brand new rider with many questions (video inside) Reply with quote

matthews1892 wrote:
i was using the clutch the way through

When I did DAS training, the instructor pointed out that in my time on the 125 I had picked up the bad habit of keeping the brake and clutch levers covered. You've got the same on the clutch.

Put your fingers around the grip. Only reach for the clutch when you're changing gear. Yes, you also learn clutch control for slow manœuvres, but round that bend you dont want to be slipping the clutch. (And I wonder whether you don't really need to slip it for slow stuff in low gears on that bike either?)

Anyway, welcome, and bad luck bejng on East Sussex roads. County council seems to be cutting back on pothole repairs, probably to try and stay on top of its social care budget.

matthews1892
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:13 - 08 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really do appreciate all the above advise, sincerely i do Smile and i know its not the best look by posting a video of me completely bollocksing a turn up on my first post but i am here to improve and get safer! Not having ridden on the road before i guess i have much less confidence in leaning the bike over, it is only my 3rd day on the road and with all the roads round here being twisties like in the video its a steep learning curve. i guess more time in a car park or similar is really needed!

chris-red

PostPosted: 23:16 - 08 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

matthews1892 wrote:
I really do appreciate all the above advise, sincerely i do Smile and i know its not the best look by posting a video of me completely bollocksing a turn up on my first post but i am here to improve and get safer! Not having ridden on the road before i guess i have much less confidence in leaning the bike over, it is only my 3rd day on the road and with all the roads round here being twisties like in the video its a steep learning curve. i guess more time in a car park or similar is really needed!

I reckon you should go back to that corner and do it dozens of times try different things see what feels right.

Generally when you do it correct it will just 'feel' right.

matthews1892
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:20 - 08 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
matthews1892 wrote:

I reckon you should go back to that corner and do it dozens of times try different things see what feels right.

Generally when you do it correct it will just 'feel' right.

i would do so but failure = head on with oncoming traffic and that road isn't known for its quiet times. yet it is a road i have to go along to visit the other half so unless i never see her again i will have to face it soon enough!

Edinho
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 00:18 - 09 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not experienced just did my cbt in december but been driving for 30 years. You are going way too fast for that corner. The ground is wet and slippery there is not way i'd approach that corner at that speed on my 125.

You were lucky not to be off.

That corner is so tight id be treating it as a roundabout for speed and cornering.

From my limited experience it looks like you are being too snatchy and aggressive, do everything easy its the wrong time of year to be riding like that.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:18 - 09 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speed can be hard to judge from a video. It looked manageable at the point where he reached the turn, as evidenced by the fact that he just about made it round even with a bad line and not looking where he wanted to go.

That said, I would slow right down next time. Work on the line, work on looking around the bend, but give yourself some safety margin as well.

Holdawayt
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:51 - 09 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edinho wrote:
Im not experienced

Yes we can tell by that awful advice.

He wasn't going too quickly at all, it was target fixation which wasn't helped by the fact he was rigid as fuck and had his fingers over the clutch during the entire video.

OP - Get your left hand on the grips, not the clutch lever. You tensed up and pulled the clutch in, resulting in the revving engine and the slight panic. Honestly it wasn't that bad and you'll be fine with a bit of practice.

Tom.

matthews1892
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:51 - 09 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Speed can be hard to judge from a video. It looked manageable at the point where he reached the turn, as evidenced by the fact that he just about made it round even with a bad line and not looking where he wanted to go.

That said, I would slow right down next time. Work on the line, work on looking around the bend, but give yourself some safety margin as well.

Yeah I was going between 10-15mph, since I double checked I was below 15 when approaching, I guess my lack of confidence leaning that slow and me being scared of the bus coupled together screwed me up, I'll have to work on using the back brake to maintain a constant speed and learn to force myself to target the corner and not what I want to avoid.

davethekwak
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 11:56 - 09 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

matthews1892 wrote:

Yeah I was going between 10-15mph, since I double checked I was below 15 when approaching, I guess my lack of confidence leaning that slow and me being scared of the bus coupled together screwed me up, I'll have to work on using the back brake to maintain a constant speed and learn to force myself to target the corner and not what I want to avoid.

My take on the corner.
You need to relax. Fear / tension on a bike is a huge issue.
You didn't approach too fast, if anything it was too slow. Bikes turn in to a corner much better if the front end is carrying more weight so using front brake before you turn will help. Just make sure you let it off before starting the turn (while learning).
Position of the bike was always going to cause you a problem. Most learners worrying about running wide and crossing the center so tend to hug the inside on entry to turn. This causes exactly what you are trying to avoid. Bikes need to turn in POSITIVELY to a turn and you need room to do this. Position the bike to the right and then aim to just miss the apex of the corner on the left and then let the bike drift back out to the right.
I generally treat the center line as though it was a brick wall. You would want to be moving away from the wall at the critical point of a turn, not towards it wouldn't you. So get close to the wall at the start, aim to move away from it during turn and drift back to it as you come out.
Agree about looking through the corner, not at it or the other side of the road.
End of the day you messed up, we all do. You got away with it.
Have a look at this vid, it might help you see what I mean about position on the road in to turns. Vid is shaky as hell but it's a temp mount. Road conditions were not great, 2 degrees, damp and greasy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok3_iQg-GfI&t=756s
Edited to add. Camera is fixed to bike so lean angle is true.
Edit again. Wall thing applies to left turn, opposite for right turn.

Last edited by davethekwak on 12:05 - 09 Feb 2017; edited 2 times in total

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:58 - 09 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fairness, despite what's been said above, if you're riding at anything above walking pace in first gear, you shouldn't be needing to use the back brake to control your speed.

The only control you should need to use for 95% of your riding to alter your speed is the throttle. It should certainly be the only control you're using routinely in corners, if you're using the brake, you screwed up. Just remember the throttle is an analogue control, not a switch, so you can roll it open and roll it closed. It doesn't have to be all the way open or closed.

In your video, you're also pulling in the clutch and coasting. Never coast. You should either be maintaining a constant speed with the engine, accelerating or decelerating. In a corner, you should be accelerating slightly, having decelerated before the corner.

If you're riding like you show in the video, I think the snatchines is because you're riding the clutch. You accelerated into the opposite lane when you fully released the clutch and opened the throttle similtaneously, this willmake the bike jump forwards. It appears you're riding around in too high a gear and pulling the clutch to control your speed. This is a really bad habit. Keep your left hand on the grip and away from the clutch lever unless you're changing gear or riding at walking pace in first

For that corner, I would have approached it almost in the middle of the road. Braked and changed down a gear to set my speed well before the corner (lower gears are more responsive) then looked towards the exit of the corner and gradually and smoothly accelerated towards it without touching either the brakes or the clutch.

All a lot to take in so here's an exercise for you:

Go somewhere quiet where you can practice, an industrial estate or similar. Put your bike in first, ride off and change into second. From here, don't touch that clutch! Keep your left hand nailed to the handlebar. Ride around a bit, practice speeding up and slowing down using just the throttle, roll don't snatch. Get used to how this alters your speed. Don't be afraid the rev the engine up to higher revs (if they're going too high, you'll stop accelerating)

Now check there's noone behind you, close the throttle and stop in a straight line using the brakes. Still don't touch that clutch.

The engine will stall when you do this. Change into neutral, restart and do the same again. Try it a few times. Notice how nobody died? Did you also notice just how slowly you actually need to be going for the engine to stall? You only need to pull the clutch in a few moments before you come to a complete halt and the engine stalls.

The above exercise should give you more of an idea about using the throttle position to control your speed at normal riding speeds and get you off pulling the clutch all the time.

There is another way of riding at very slow speeds in heavy traffic which you'll need to learn that involves slipping the clutch, controlling the revs with the throttle and controlling the speed with the rear brake. You'll need to master this too but it's only for riding at walking pace in first gear.

One caveat. Your bike MIGHT be playing you up so it could be an idea to get an experienced rider to have a go on it. Not one of your mates, they'll just go ragging off and crash it or land up in bother for riding with no insurance. Someone who's been riding motorcycles for a while and has a full licence.

EDIT: And for inspiration, if you get REALLY good, you can do this. There's a lot going on here but the thing to notice on this video is the engine noise. While he's covering the clutch, he isn't using it. The speed is being controlled with the throttle. Again, I'll stress with SLOW (walking speed) manouvers you need to slip the clutch but never do it elsewhere.

onlyJaz
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:21 - 09 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been riding 4-ish months now so I can totally relate to your concerns as I've been there myself at the start (even now I'm still learning new things).

As most guys have suggested, you target fixed - where you look at the place/object you want to avoid out of fear/panic. Train yourself to loosen up a little and stare into the road/direction you want to travel. This is something that will happen over time so as long as you are aware of it, don't sweat it and keep trying.

Have a look at some of these threads for advice on similar topics, might come in handy:

Tips on Cornering

Clutch control, braking and cornering
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 70 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2