Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Failed mod 1 Today **update** Passed today.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Captain Underpants
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 00:18 - 09 Feb 2017    Post subject: Failed mod 1 Today **update** Passed today. Reply with quote

Well as the title says, I failed my Mod 1 today. Put my foot down on the slalom. Came out too wide on the third cone and knew I would either go wrong side of the next cone or even hit it so I stopped. I have to say though that when i seen the layout at the test centre I thought "fuck me those yellow cones are close together". Far closer together than on practise with my instructor (who assured me that the cones in practise where correct distance apart). I've no issues in training whatsoever.
Anyway, I continued with the rest of the test and sailed through with no minors. So annoying as Mod 1 is easy to pass but so very, very easy to fail (which I have proved).
Booked in for a retest but earliest I can get is March 15th.

Last edited by Captain Underpants on 12:28 - 08 Mar 2017; edited 1 time in total

zark
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 01:28 - 09 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh... Apart from the pain in the arse factor of waiting for another test... £15 ish for a proper practice... I take it you hadn't made the mistake of having a mod 2 lined up??

You'll smash it next time Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Captain Underpants
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 01:40 - 09 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did have a mod 2 booked but it wasn't until february 20th so was able to reschedule without losing my money.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 05:57 - 09 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it makes you feel any better I wasn't exactly brilliant on the slalom either. The examiner said I was going so slowly he thought I was gonna drop the bike Confused

Captain Underpants
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 08:56 - 09 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think tgoing too slow was my problem actually. Had no revs on just the tick over.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:03 - 09 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Revs UP. Use the clutch to moderate how much of them you translate into forward motion. More revs makes bike more stable and gives you an option to drive out of an issue.

Practice Practice Practice - it's surprising how close you can put the cones and still slalom around them. You can go as wide as you like btw - you just can't stop or hit them.

Captain Underpants
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 09:17 - 09 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes definitely more revs next time I think. I can't practise as much as I'd like to though as I don't actually have a bike of my own. I was waiting until I had a full licence.

Holdawayt
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:16 - 09 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the same but they passed me for some reason, I didn't question it and kept my mouth shut! I was also doing the manoeuvres just on tickover, back then I was so hamfisted with throttle inputs I couldn't smoothly ride the clutch and keep the revs up.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:23 - 09 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw, bad luck. You've nailed it with easy to pass / easy to fail. That's a sod that there's no test dates available for over a month though, and I guess no chance of bagging a cancellation since you're going via a training school and will have to arrange it with them.

I guess saying "don't worry about it" is pointless, but... don't. You're perfectly capable of passing, and long term, it's no big deal.

davethekwak
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 10:24 - 09 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how many of us old timers who passed our full bike test before all this stuff was introduced would get on with the Mod 1?
Would love to give it a try Shocked

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:43 - 09 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're doing it for a laugh, it's just a few easy manoeuvres. Doing it under test conditions, with DVSA Derek glaring at you, your instructor tapping his foot, and with £££ and honour at stake, it can be a bit sweaty.

I'd suggest: not telling anyone that you're sitting it; and planning some other event later in the day, so that the test is just an "Oh, right, better get that out of the way first" event.

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:48 - 09 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

davethekwak wrote:
I wonder how many of us old timers who passed our full bike test before all this stuff was introduced would get on with the Mod 1?

some people would struggle, some would ace it. its (in my opinion) a lot harder than the mod2.

To the OP for me the slalom was harder because the cones in training were the shallow cones, so you could get quite close without even touching (glide over), the ones on the test centre are raised orange cones, which seem closer together because of their height, if you get me?

HTH

Snowdonia Rider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:30 - 09 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unlucky. You'll nail it next time Thumbs Up

Last edited by Snowdonia Rider on 12:45 - 09 Feb 2017; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

mrmistoffelee...
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 12:43 - 09 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2p worth and not sure if it will help at all, when practicing for mod1 i was told to not look at the inside cone on approach.

Best of luck, I'm sure you will bosh it next time out

Captain Underpants
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:56 - 09 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holdawayt wrote:
I did the same but they passed me for some reason, I didn't question it and kept my mouth shut! I was also doing the manoeuvres just on tickover, back then I was so hamfisted with throttle inputs I couldn't smoothly ride the clutch and keep the revs up.

I honestly think the examiner was going to let me get away with it as she came over and said I should try and get the bike between the cones, but the angle was just too tight without dabbing my foot down again. Annoying as no minors on the rest of the test.

Captain Underpants
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:58 - 09 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Aw, bad luck. You've nailed it with easy to pass / easy to fail. That's a sod that there's no test dates available for over a month though, and I guess no chance of bagging a cancellation since you're going via a training school and will have to arrange it with them.

I guess saying "don't worry about it" is pointless, but... don't. You're perfectly capable of passing, and long term, it's no big deal.

Spot on there - easy to both pass and fail. On another day I'd have nailed it without even a minor. I just have to try again and I'll get there in the end.

I am with a training school, but the guy is great and he'll search for cancellations so fingers crossed I get in before March 15th.

Captain Underpants
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 14:01 - 09 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

AshWebster wrote:
davethekwak wrote:

some people would struggle, some would ace it. its (in my opinion) a lot harder than the mod2.

To the OP for me the slalom was harder because the cones in training were the shallow cones, so you could get quite close without even touching (glide over), the ones on the test centre are raised orange cones, which seem closer together because of their height, if you get me?

HTH

I think you're correct about the cones. The distance would have been the same between them in training, but the test centre cones are bigger and make it look as if they're closer together. I noticed that before I'd got on the bike so i wonder if it was a pyschological thing.

Captain Underpants
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 14:04 - 09 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

davethekwak wrote:

I'm not such a youngster myself and I wish I'd done my test as a teenager in the 80's when it was basically a bloke with a clipboard telling you to ride twice around the block.

Dave_80
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 15:17 - 09 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I failed my first attempt at mod 1 and was really angry at myself because I'd nailed everything in all the practice lessons,it is a lot more pressure being locked in than on mod 2 where it's just a nice ride around.you sound like you're confident enough in your own ability so don't let it worry you,next time around I'm sure you'll breeze it.

Captain Underpants
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:38 - 09 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave_80 wrote:
I failed my first attempt at mod 1 and was really angry at myself because I'd nailed everything in all the practice lessons,it is a lot more pressure being locked in than on mod 2 where it's just a nice ride around.you sound like you're confident enough in your own ability so don't let it worry you,next time around I'm sure you'll breeze it.

Cheers. I'm annoyed with myself like you were as I know I can do it. I just need to sort the slalom out and I've cracked it.

I'm not even worried about module 2 as I'm confident out on the road (which means I'll totally balls it up now I've said that).

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:41 - 09 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Underpants wrote:

I'm not such a youngster myself and I wish I'd done my test as a teenager in the 80's when it was basically a bloke with a clipboard telling you to ride twice around the block.

I hear that, but going back and doing DAS wasn't that hard even after a two decade timeout. You'll get it next time. Thumbs Up

SuperMike
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 11:19 - 12 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I agree that Mod 1 is harder than 2. It is a lot of pressure knowing that one foot down can finish you. My particular achilles heel was the U turn. Had been doing them with my eyes shut in practice, but when you get to the test centre the layout is very different. I had got used to fixing on a pole that was by the tennis courts we were using to practice on. Of course in the real thing, my pole wasn't there. There was however a large fence about two feet away from the side of the far turn line. I got a bit target fixated on the fence but wobbled my way around.

Got one minor which was for being 1km/h too slow on the speed stop thing. Did it a second time and gave it some welly.

The Mod 2 was actually quite enjoyable. Sunny day, driving around, someone in my ear telling me to go left, right etc. Got a few minors for hesitation, but job done.

You'll get there I'm sure. You're not the first and you won't be the last to fail. Good luck for the next one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:25 - 15 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Doing it under test conditions, with DVSA Derek glaring at you, your instructor tapping his foot, and with £££ and honour at stake, it can be a bit sweaty.

My instructor told me I should have spent some time on a 125 rather than doing DAS literally 3 minutes before my MOD1. How's about that for a head fuck!? It infuriated me tbh, especially as I did my CBT with the same company weeks earlier and they were fine with my riding then.

Anyway, rather than getting upset about it I got angry and nailed the fucker first time. 1 minor for going too quickly into the controlled stop.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:46 - 15 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bozzy wrote:
1 minor for going too quickly into the controlled stop.

You mean one awesome point. Thumbs Up

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:11 - 15 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bozzy wrote:
My instructor told me I should have spent some time on a 125 rather than doing DAS literally 3 minutes before my MOD1. How's about that for a head fuck!? It infuriated me tbh, especially as I did my CBT with the same company weeks earlier and they were fine with my riding then.

Anyway, rather than getting upset about it I got angry and nailed the fucker first time. 1 minor for going too quickly into the controlled stop.

They weren't even going to let me take mine Confused It was meant to be a no pressure practice as I was expected to fail (TBF I thought I was going to fail Mod 1). Ended that day with my license Dance!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 42 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3