Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Winter riding - is it just me?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kamikaze Bob
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 09:47 - 09 Feb 2017    Post subject: Winter riding - is it just me? Reply with quote

I sold my car last year as it wasn't getting used - I was on the bike for commuting every day and my dad was borrowing it more than I was actually using it, also my missus got off the weekend job so it wasn't needed as a second car when I have the kids. Spent this winter riding in and out to work with the exception of a couple of days when the missus begged me to use the car due to some snow, but by and large it's been fine apart from some cold hands. My gear is keeping me dry and my workplace is accommodating about me using the gents to store my jacket, etc. during the day. So all good.

Except the past fortnight or so. I had the back end skip out pretty hard on a roundabout - at slow speed - and nearly came off the bike, putting the shiters up me for the rest of the ride to work. And then home. And then every time at that or some other roundabouts where the back tyre is sliding about a bit. Not as severe as the first time, but noticeable enough to give me pause. It's also making me tense up, and making my riding worse as a result, and making me second-guess everything I'm doing just now.

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't expecting to be able to put my knee down in this weather (not that I ever have, but gotten some decent lean before) but now I'm bricking it to go round some roundabouts at even normal speed due to wet and grease on the roads.

I know (hope) that this would get better once the roads clear up a bit in a few weeks/months, but I wanted to ask anyone else who usually stays on the bike all winter if this is the norm? I'm beginning to wonder if this is due to the conditions on the road or if there's something wrong with the bike; either way something's not right and it's taking its toll.

Conzar
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:49 - 09 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winter riding?...Whats that???
11:05:35 Rob Fzs: i just wanna own an rd350 valve before they send us to war with durkadurkastan

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:02 - 09 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it's not the norm. Check over the bike.

pudder
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 10:02 - 09 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar close call losing the back end on some ice, not sure how I stayed on the bike, and it did make me realise how quickly it happens, and how little you can do.

That was on the entrance to my works car park, which I already knew tended to be slippy, and even now I can picture it happening when I ride over the same place.

The rest of the journey is generally fine though. Take a bit more care, don't push your luck, and should be ok.
If you are getting squirming about on roundabouts, then I would be questioning what tyres you have, whether they could be contaminated with oil/diesel.

Holdawayt
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:04 - 09 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been riding through the winter too, it's my first year on a 600 with my full licence.

Had a few twitchy moments (one of them at Rockingham, back wheel almost over took the front) but I tend to just get on with it and forget about it. If you're worried about the bike leaning too much and losing grip just stick your arse out a bit and use your body instead.

Also, what's the rear tyre looking like? Might be worth investing in something designed for touring.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:12 - 09 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holdawayt wrote:

Also, what's the rear tyre looking like? Might be worth investing in something designed for touring.

This.

I swapped some slightly worn BT30s for some new PR4s and the difference was instantly noticeable.

You don't mention if you have replaced the tyres recently, if you have done a full years commuting on the set you have on now (no idea how far you commute though) - I wonder if your tyres are getting to the end of their useable (winter) life?

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:18 - 09 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's happening that often something may be wrong with your bike or tyre. It has been quite slippery recently but I've only had two minor moments and both were down to my hamfisted fuckwittery...

I'd check your bike over tbh.

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:35 - 09 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much straight line riding do you do? Are your tyres flat down the middle of the tread? Tyre pressures correct?

It would feel like the back end is dropping in faster when going from flat tread to the side of the tread (at least it did for moi).

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:03 - 09 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usual checks of wheel alignment, bearings (wheel and headstock), and tyre pressures. Make sure the brakes aren't binding. Check the shock still has good damping.

Sliding about is normal if there is ice/frost on the road. Was there?

You also get an effect at certain times when it's been very cold but the roads are dry and dusty where the salt polishes the little pebbles in the road surface which can leave it like glass.

Another option is that someone has driven along the same route as you slopping diesel out when they go round the roundabouts. You can usually smell it.

If it all seems fine, get a mate to have a wee ride on it to confirm it's handling normally. It's amazing what you'll get used to if something is gradually screwing up.

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:09 - 09 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had very similar experiences this winter and even had a minor off due to front locking up. Initially put it down to me being a too hasty in wet slippery conditions, but as it kept happening I knew the tyres were the issue.

Changed over to new PR4s just this week. A few days in and the rubber relatively scrubbed there is a noticeable difference. Bike is much more bedded to the road and not one twitch even in damp and cold conditions.

Agree you should check the bike over as advised above, but chances are it's your tyres.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:40 - 09 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

another vote for tyres, had pirelli diablo rosso 3 fitted and whilst great in dry they were lethal in the wet, backend sliding all over, had metzeler roadtec 01 fitted and difference is night and day in corners...

Kamikaze Bob
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:53 - 09 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyres are PR3s, only bought in August and look fine, at least from a squaring-off point of view. Haven't had a chance to wash the bike in quite a while tho - it gets dirty way too quick in this weather - so it could be the tyres have a coating of something slippery on them. I ride through a roundabout every day that's right next to a petrol station, at slow speed too as there's usually quite a queue, and I've seen plenty of diesel spilt around it in the past, so that could be a good shout.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:41 - 09 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kamikaze Bob wrote:
I ride through a roundabout every day that's right next to a petrol station, at slow speed too as there's usually quite a queue, and I've seen plenty of diesel spilt around it in the past, so that could be a good shout.

Occam's razor.

Thumbs Up

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:52 - 09 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ride like such a wuss in winter due to similar things. A couple of losses in traction for various reasons left me thinking it better just to take it really easy.

Makes me love it more when I walk out my house it's above freezing and the ground is dry. Yesterday was like that and I had an awesome ride in.

The damp salted roads by me seem as slippy as the ice would be sometimes.

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:09 - 09 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I crashed my pushbike a few weeks ago, mini-roundabout at speed + road salt. Not nice, and it does make me feel like I'm going to crash every time I go round that corner.

If you've checked the tyres then they're probably ok, it's likely to be psychological. That said, I had a very square front Bridgestone once and it felt like it was tipping in really fast, but I sort of got used to it. I then got it changed for a PR2 and the difference was astounding.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dr. DaveJPS
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:32 - 09 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

vice wrote:
another vote for tyres, had pirelli diablo rosso 3 fitted and whilst great in dry they were lethal in the wet, backend sliding all over, had metzeler roadtec 01 fitted and difference is night and day in corners...

What are you riding? I've got rosso 3's on my daytona 675 and they are great in the wet/cold far better than the qualifiers that I bought it with.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:36 - 09 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. DaveJPS wrote:
vice wrote:

What are you riding? I've got rosso 3's on my daytona 675 and they are great in the wet/cold far better than the qualifiers that I bought it with.

street triple r, all year commute in London, the streets here are filthy though full of black sludge and the like

was considering the m7rr, but got the 01's instead, might switch back to the rossos in summer still have plenty of life left

metzeler owned by pirelli now anyway

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:42 - 09 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a couple of twitches form the tyres on corners thus far but nothing excessive.

Anything below 5 degree's and I can't be bothered because pointless.

Give the bike to someone to ride and see what they think. When you have something happen you generally focus on it a fair bit.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:58 - 09 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there any movement in rear wheel when on stand

I had a bike that the back end moved two centimetres all together so gave the feeling of sliding on corners

was suspension bushes

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:00 - 09 Feb 2017    Post subject: Re: Winter riding - is it just me? Reply with quote

Kamikaze Bob wrote:

I had the back end skip out pretty hard on a roundabout - at slow speed - and nearly came off the bike, putting the shiters up me for the rest of the ride to work. And then home. And then every time at that or some other roundabouts where the back tyre is sliding about a bit...... It's also making me tense up, and making my riding worse as a result, and making me second-guess everything I'm doing just now.

yep ... sounds about right ... Thumbs Up
I don`t ride below 10°C.
its sh1t...

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:17 - 09 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find I get the odd slip, but nothing dramatic. Fresh salting makes it worse sometimes.

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:08 - 09 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found an oil patch the other day and went skating towards oncoming traffic. Was unpleasant. PR4s are generally ok in cold weather, but I've found a few minorly slippy patches this winter. Not when I've been hustling down a back road, usually on heavily trafficed main roads, so I'm assuming oil/diesel is more noticeable when its fucking cold.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:02 - 10 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

talkToTheHat wrote:
I found an oil patch the other day and went skating towards oncoming traffic. Was unpleasant. PR4s are generally ok in cold weather, but I've found a few minorly slippy patches this winter. Not when I've been hustling down a back road, usually on heavily trafficed main roads, so I'm assuming oil/diesel is more noticeable when its fucking cold.

I think it is. I also think the PR3s were a little better in the cold than the 4s. Don't remember so much slipping about last year and it was colder then.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:03 - 11 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

talkToTheHat wrote:
I'm assuming oil/diesel is more noticeable when its fucking cold.

I can't say I've ever noticed that. In the summer when you have a prolonged dry spell and then rain it can be f'ing slippy.

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:38 - 11 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

talkToTheHat wrote:
so I'm assuming oil/diesel is more noticeable when its fucking cold.

just the rainbow effect in the damp to give it away but
it tends to hang around more in the cold... mixin with the detritus that accumulates over the winter months ..particularly at bus stops and roundabout exits..
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 73 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2