Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Returning to 2 wheels

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

jessicatee
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:11 - 09 Feb 2017    Post subject: Returning to 2 wheels Reply with quote

Hey,

My names Jess, i'm in Northants and coming back to bikes after giving myself a little scare a year-ish back Smile

I have a YBR currently sitting in my garden that hasn't been moved since.....October...... 2015....maybe! :/

I realised that it wasn't insured the other day and when i tried to insure it I got told by a lot of companies that either : a) they wouldn't insure a sorn bike without an MOT (guessing they cant guarantee the value?) or b) wouldn't insure a sorn bike that wasn't locked in a garage or shed (its chained to the back fence with a decent chain and disc lock, its going nowhere but wanted to insure it just incase!)

So I've managed to talk my wife into letting me do another cbt and get it MOT'd etc, which I'm very happy about Smile

Luckily I think I was planning on giving it a service before laying it up as I have a new chain/sprocket, spark plugs, filter and new oil sitting in a cupboard ready to go.

I'm going to charge the battery this weekend and see if it starts, hopefully will be able to get it MOT'd soon and see what it needs doing to it, it's been outside but covered the whole time so I'm crossing my fingers that it will be in decent enough nick for me to get back on the road and stop sitting in traffic. It was either sell it at a cut price with all the shit that needing doing to it, or get back on 2 wheels, I did love commuting in on it/doing little ride outs at the weekends when I bought it and would love to get back on.

Expect to see me mostly in the workshop Smile

davethekwak
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 13:36 - 09 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back to two wheel fun (from another northants rider).
Hope the MOT goes well.

Stalk
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:41 - 09 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another Northampton chap here! Go for it! Gardener and White for an mot if you are anywhere near stoke Goldington

jessicatee
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 14:04 - 10 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

davethekwak wrote:
Welcome back to two wheel fun (from another northants rider).
Hope the MOT goes well.

Thanks, I had a quick look last night and it doesn't look tooooo bad. The chains rusted to fuck though and def needs to come off, thinking of booking it in with a mobile bike mechanic once I've found out if I can start it for chain and sprocket change and an MOT. Hopefully it doesn't need much done with it!

Have found these people :
https://www.scb-automotive.co.uk/

Will prob give them a ring I think.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:15 - 10 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be surprised about the chain. Surface rust doesn't necessarily mean that the links will be seized. Give it a good oil and wiggle any stiff links with a pair of pliers, see if you can free it up.

davethekwak
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 15:38 - 10 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

jessicatee wrote:

Have found these people :
https://www.scb-automotive.co.uk/

Will prob give them a ring I think.

What area of northampton are you in?

jessicatee
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:46 - 10 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
You might be surprised about the chain. Surface rust doesn't necessarily mean that the links will be seized. Give it a good oil and wiggle any stiff links with a pair of pliers, see if you can free it up.

Ah thanks, will give this a try over the weekend Thumbs Up

davethekwak wrote:

What area of northampton are you in?

I'm actually in Corby, work in Northampton though and commuted in on my YBR for a while, looking forward to skipping past the A43 traffic again in the near future!

davethekwak
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 17:09 - 10 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

jessicatee wrote:

I'm actually in Corby, work in Northampton though and commuted in on my YBR for a while, looking forward to skipping past the A43 traffic again in the near future!

Many years ago I did the reverse commute before they built the Kettering bypass. Difference was my bike at the time was a ZX10 B1. Used to take me 45 minutes in the car or around 16 on the bike. Loved that bike.

If you get stuck spannering your bike give me a shout. I'm free most evening and like tinkering. Not a pro mechanic but have rebuilt a few bikes in my time Laughing

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 17:20 - 10 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the insurance company ask about SORN or MoT or did you tell them?

I've never had them ask and I've insured SORNed bikes before. How else are you supposed to get it taxed if you can't get it insured to ride it to get an MoT?

jessicatee
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:27 - 10 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
Did the insurance company ask about SORN or MoT or did you tell them?

I've never had them ask and I've insured SORNed bikes before. How else are you supposed to get it taxed if you can't get it insured to ride it to get an MoT?

They asked for my CBT (only said I had a full UK car licence in the online quote, but whatever!) so I may have told them a bit more than they needed to know when I dropped them an email about not having one.

Basically said I didnt have a CBT, the bike was sorn'd and untaxed in my back garden and I just wanted to protect it against theft while I sorted my shit out and got it back on the road. Too which they nope'd me the fuck off and cancelled my insurance, billing me £30 for the privilege and keeping my £35 deposit... Evil or Very Mad

jessicatee
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:37 - 10 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

davethekwak wrote:

If you get stuck spannering your bike give me a shout. I'm free most evening and like tinkering. Not a pro mechanic but have rebuilt a few bikes in my time Laughing

You might live to regret that Laughing Laughing

That A43 can be a bitch, days where traffic isnt too bad I only knock about 5 mins off going in on a 125, but when the traffics particularly shit, as so often it is, I can easily knock like 20 mins off my journey....and add a ton of fun and arrive at my destination with a smile on my face to boot. Smile

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:31 - 10 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northampton dweller here, I use Motorvation for my MOTs; since they don't do repairs there's no reason for them fail a bike to squeeze extra cash out of you.

https://motorvation-ltd.co.uk/
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:12 - 10 Feb 2017    Post subject: Re: Returning to 2 wheels Reply with quote

>>> jessica <<< tee wrote:
my wife

BCF personnel records need to know more.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:49 - 10 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

jessicatee wrote:

Basically said I didnt have a CBT, the bike was sorn'd and untaxed in my back garden and I just wanted to protect it against theft while I sorted my shit out and got it back on the road. Too which they nope'd me the fuck off and cancelled my insurance, billing me £30 for the privilege and keeping my £35 deposit... Evil or Very Mad

That's fucked you then

Most insurance company's ask
Have you ever had a policy cancelled

You have

Never expect cheap insurance again
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:32 - 11 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyscooter wrote:

That's fucked you then

You have

What he said! - https://www.gocompare.com/car-insurance/declarations-and-non-disclosures/#lKSQ84M4Jsl3PMkY.97

jessicatee
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 00:57 - 11 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyscooter wrote:
jessicatee wrote:

That's fucked you then

You have

Eh?! I never withheld anything, answered all the questions on the quote form and got insurance :/ they asked me what licence I had and I told them it was a full car licence Sad

I srsly fucking hate insurance companies

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 08:59 - 11 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any of you guys from Northants have much experience with the A605?
I'm in Peterborough and, as of March, will be commuting back and forth to Oundle.
One of the very few bikers at work (who drives every day...) keeps telling me about diesel patches on the A605 and I'm a bit concerned.
I've only done that stretch of road a handful of times and I've never seen any.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:16 - 11 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

jessicatee wrote:
Eh?! I never withheld anything, answered all the questions on the quote form and got insurance :/ they asked me what licence I had and I told them it was a full car licence Sad

I would urge you to challenge their decision.

Fire in with a complaint, in writing or by email, clearly headed as such, spelling out the situation and asserting that their response was unreasonable.

Invite them to show you where you were told prior to taking out the policy, that you had to have at least provisional entitlement to ride the bike. Note that they were quite happy to proceed on the understanding that you have a car license. Point out that CBTs expire, and that being temporarily between them is a perfectly normal situation - it does not imply that you were actually riding otherwise than in accordance with your license.

Meanwhile, read your policy document, and I'd drop arry on here a PM and ask him for specific advice.

You really, really don't want to be declaring a cancelled policy.

GrumpyGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:11 - 12 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MahatmaAndhi wrote:
Any of you guys from Northants have much experience with the A605?
I'm in Peterborough and, as of March, will be commuting back and forth to Oundle.
One of the very few bikers at work (who drives every day...) keeps telling me about diesel patches on the A605 and I'm a bit concerned.
I've only done that stretch of road a handful of times and I've never seen any.

Also in Peterborough.

I used that road thousands of times over the course of about 4 years driving to Thrapston and back (car and bike). This road is a total disgrace. Diesel spills are uncommon, however. It's just the top of the hill where the crawler lane and overtaking lane merge and you've got bellends overtaking early on the other side.

Just be careful of the potholes/road damage as the clowncil don't tend to care and be prepared about people overtaking on blind bends. One woman was killed just after the Oundle roundabout because of this very reason.

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:25 - 12 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much!
I figured I'd go down the 605 to work, but through Elton and Chesterton on the way home. I don't fancy trying to get out of that Elton junction every morning.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:05 - 12 Feb 2017    Post subject: Re: Returning to 2 wheels Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
BCF personnel records need to know more.

Ever vigilant.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 07:15 - 13 Feb 2017    Post subject: Re: Returning to 2 wheels Reply with quote

jessicatee wrote:
My names Jess, i'm in Northants and coming back to bikes after giving myself a little scare a year-ish back Smile

And, now... the fright has faded, and you wonder what it was that was so scary to start with, sooooo you think what? you'll try over?

You don't need lessons in fixing derelict bikes... you need to get some lessons... and get a licence.... to RIDE.

Madness is, according to Robin Williams, repeating the same act over, expecting a different outcome.... getting the bike back on the road... so you can try scaring yourself all over, is that sort of delusional madness... yeah, there's the if you never get back on the horse argument, but, only really works if you know what you did wrong last time.. and more.. how NOT to do it again!

GET Lessons and licence!!!

And likely whatever enthusiasm you have for fixing up the YBR will be somewhat revised... BUT, either way, error corrected, lesson in the bag, you don't have to go scare yourself on it again...

No........ You can go find something different and find new and interesting ways to scare yourself, instead! Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:28 - 13 Feb 2017    Post subject: 605 for mahatma andhi Reply with quote

Went from thrapston to Peterborough and back Friday. Yes, potholes all over the road...in car with bike rider passenger...both of us noted them in places a bike would normally be.
Diesel....the road is used by a LOT of hgvs, roundabouts may get spills on them, especially the couple with services near. Caught some slippy rear wheel last November, but in car I just think it's my heavy right foot!

jessicatee
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:26 - 14 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

I just got off the phone to them and I'm now going to have to Sad

They said that on their record it says I have a provisional licence that I have held since 2005, I put a full car licence into gocompare and they've quoted for a provisional bike licence.

They said I now have to tell insurers that I have had a cancellation for non-receipt of documents Sad

I'm fucked basically, gocompare/compare the market wont give me any quotes for a bike if I tick that box and my car insurance goes up from £200 per year with 12 years NCD to £1800.

FML

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:00 - 14 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

jessicatee wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

I just got off the phone to them and I'm now going to have to Sad

They said that on their record it says I have a provisional licence that I have held since 2005, I put a full car licence into gocompare and they've quoted for a provisional bike licence.

They said I now have to tell insurers that I have had a cancellation for non-receipt of documents Sad

I'm fucked basically, gocompare/compare the market wont give me any quotes for a bike if I tick that box and my car insurance goes up from £200 per year with 12 years NCD to £1800.

FML

And sorry to kick you when you are down but question normally says ever had so always need to disclose it
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 62 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2