Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Attempted theft of CBF125 (Hammersmith)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Derivative
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:24 - 10 Feb 2017    Post subject: Attempted theft of CBF125 (Hammersmith) Reply with quote

CBF125 has been laid up for a while as it has various minor issues I've been lacking time to sort. Parked in the road as there's nowhere else for it to go.

Came to it the other day to see that the side cowling was smashed. Initially I thought it'd been knocked over, drive-off, hard to see under streetlights.

Upon further inspection and communication with Police, it transpires a couple of (likely stolen) scooterists turned up with a hammer or similar, smashed the front to try and quickly get at the ignition, and scarpered before the grinder came out (sounds like someone in the street scared them off). I believe the rear tyre may have been punctured, presumably as a final FU on the escape.

Police have been called, statements given, likely linked to a known few doing the rounds (other reported issues in the area).

Bike itself is not an attractive target - about the only thing I can think of is that it has no immobiliser / flashy alarm light; tons of juicier targets in the same road that they can't have missed seeing. Guessing it's a joyride job.

Damage seems likely to run at least 2-300 quid. 4 or 5 plastic panels smashed into bits on the road, headlight bracket potentially bent, rear tyre possibly slashed, haven't had time to fully determine yet. Steering lock and chain intact.

If anyone is interested in it for parts or as a repair job, send me a PM. 12 months MoT ticket.

Probably a daft worry, but does anyone know much about 'abandoned car' stuff WRT local councils? Am I likely to get ticketed for leaving a smashed up vehicle in the road (providing it's not dangerous), or am I fine with MoT/tax/ins/etc? The cost of tickets could easily run into more than the value of the bike if so at 40-80 quid a pop.

TL;DR version, not that it's news in London - lock it up and don't make it look attractive.

Last edited by Derivative on 01:40 - 10 Feb 2017; edited 2 times in total

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:36 - 10 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derivative wrote:
Bike itself is not an attractive target

With videos emerging on the interwebs of people walking up to bikes at traffic lights and then attempting to turn off and wiggle the key out I don't think their (tiefs) all that fussy anymore. Anything and everything seems like fair game.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:55 - 10 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
Derivative wrote:
Bike itself is not an attractive target

With videos emerging on the interwebs of people walking up to bikes at traffic lights and then attempting to turn off and wiggle the key out I don't think their (tiefs) all that fussy anymore. Anything and everything seems like fair game.

This happened to someone I know, he managed to punch the guy and he ran off. When I heard I immediately got some paracord and made a short lanyard that I loop around the bars now Mad

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:03 - 10 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:

Link?

definitelyinc...
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:45 - 10 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris wrote:
NJD wrote:

Link?

There's loads (thankfully plenty of unsuccessful ones), I think the term used is 'bikejacking' (though there's probably loads of other terms for this) thankfully most of the time the robbers are stupid enough to think they can keep up with a 600cc+ machine so they tell them to pull over while on the move, so a twist of the wrist is enough to get away.

Generally just be careful, if you see kids 2 up on a ped or a threesome on 2 peds total at the lights and they start approaching you be in 1st and ready to go, I'm always on the lookout for any bikes behind me 1/2 miles from my home, if I see anything even partially suspicious I'll either make sure they can't keep up or take a detour.

Thinking of deactivating my killswitch as I heard they sometimes go for that before trying to take your bike of you, need to find a solution to make sure they can't rip my key out though.

It's a scary world that we live in. Sad

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=bikejacking+uk&page=&utm_source=opensearch

Edit: Some people resort to carrying tools, for repairs Smile

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:26 - 10 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

rapt0r97 wrote:
bikejacking

Nope, see blow.

Although is an equally out of the box method to put aside the typical under cover of darkness when no one is around idea of thinking.

Kris wrote:
Link?

https://youtu.be/0gNk1FrgBJg?t=1m4s

Ok, 2014.

There was another one, I assume more recent, somewhere. Just the first one I managed to re-find.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:25 - 10 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe jacking is a problem in Glasgow Toon yet, but I have ridden through reds when tracksuits get too close for comfort, and I will do so again. Someone else can be the first Daily Record sadface.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:44 - 10 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
I don't believe jacking is a problem in Glasgow Toon yet, but I have ridden through reds when tracksuits get too close for comfort, and I will do so again. Someone else can be the first Daily Record sadface.

I never realised that Glasgow was so deprived. Have you considered throwing bus tickets at them as I'm sure that they'd prefer riding the bus to the Enfield?

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:07 - 10 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

rapt0r97 wrote:
need to find a solution to make sure they can't rip my key out though.

simple solution Thumbs Up loop round bars

https://s29.postimg.org/qaokn769z/image1.jpg

Azoth
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:46 - 10 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.instructables.com/id/Paracord-monkey-fist-guide/

definitelyinc...
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:50 - 10 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually seems really promising, me gusta.

Thanks and I'll see if I am capable of making it.

Mawsley
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 17:31 - 10 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the point of taking a key?

And, at the risk as coming across all Bodytard, aren't there any bikers who can throw a punch anymore?

definitelyinc...
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:37 - 10 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mawsley wrote:

And, at the risk as coming across all Bodytard, aren't there any bikers who can throw a punch anymore?

Talk all you want but when there's 3 lads wrestling you and at least one hitting you with a wrench etc. your odds aren't the best mate.

I'll happily take them on if I have a chance, but if I'm outnumbered or the odds are bad I'll more than happily pull off.

Mawsley
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 17:45 - 10 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

rapt0r97 wrote:
Mawsley wrote:

Talk all you want but when there's 3 lads wrestling you and at least one hitting you with a wrench etc. your odds aren't the best mate.

I'll happily take them on if I have a chance, but if I'm outnumbered or the odds are bad I'll more than happily pull off.

I've not seen one video this afternoon where there are three scummers wrestling anybody. I've not seen a single video where someone was armed (except the foreign one). Only a moron would suggest instigating an attack against a number of armed opponents.

The attempted key theft was a single bloke who was close enough for a sound upper cut or roundhouse. Playing pattycake-pattycake with him would not have been the first thing on my mind.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:46 - 10 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

rapt0r97 wrote:
Edit: Some people resort to carrying tools, for repairs Smile

Know a few who carry traffic management devices.. sorry, repair tools that are easily accessible, but even the stupidest ped boi's wouldn't go after those bikes.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:54 - 10 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mawsley wrote:

vice wrote:

This happened to someone I know, he managed to punch the guy and he ran off. When I heard I immediately got some paracord and made a short lanyard that I loop around the bars now Mad

they supposedly take the key, and either wait for the person to abandon it, if they're stupid enough, or they will follow try follow it if moved.

https://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-general-news/video-attempted-bike-jacking-busy-london-street

they've supposedly been knicking peoples cameras off their helmet too Crying or Very sad reminds me of my time in africa

Mawsley
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 18:00 - 10 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

vice wrote:
Mawsley wrote:

vice wrote:

they supposedly take the key, and either wait for the person to abandon it, if they're stupid enough, or they will follow try follow it if moved.

https://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-general-news/video-attempted-bike-jacking-busy-london-street

they've supposedly been knicking peoples cameras off their helmet too Crying or Very sad reminds me of my time in africa

Thumbs Up

Still strikes me as a daft way to try to nick a bike, but then I guess they never won many prizes at school.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:03 - 10 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, the only awards these guys are winning are darwins *hopefully*

definitelyinc...
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:25 - 10 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mawsley wrote:
I've not seen one video this afternoon where there are three scummers wrestling anybody. I've not seen a single video where someone was armed (except the foreign one). Only a moron would suggest instigating an attack against a number of armed opponents.

The attempted key theft was a single bloke who was close enough for a sound upper cut or roundhouse. Playing pattycake-pattycake with him would not have been the first thing on my mind.

To be fair the idiot would've quickly been overwhelmed by a bunch of other chavs in that case, unless he knocked him out cold and kicked into first quickly.

definitelyinc...
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:27 - 10 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

vice wrote:

inb4 fairing thieves become a thing.

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 20:39 - 10 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long before one/a group of them gets lynched.

Seen a few videos now where a jewllery store robbery/bike theft attempted robbery has swiftly turned on the robbers. Somebody on one side or other is going to get pretty badly hurt fairly soon, or deaded.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:20 - 10 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mawsley wrote:
Still strikes me as a daft way to try to nick a bike, but then I guess they never won many prizes at school.

Follow the situation through. What do?

Biker: [RING RING] "999, halp polis!!!"

Polis: "That's no an emergency, what do you expect us to do about it? Call the AA or your insurer, we've got to referee a Facebook spat."

Biker: [RING RING] "AA, naow."

AA: "See you in 6 hours, maybe. Maybe not, that doesn't sound like a 'breakdown' to me. Call the polis."

Now what? How long can you wait by the bike? The hyenas only need 30 seconds worth of opportunity to jump on and ride it away.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:32 - 10 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Mawsley wrote:

Follow the situation through. What do?

Biker: [RING RING] "999, halp polis!!!"

Polis: "That's no an emergency, what do you expect us to do about it? Call the AA or your insurer, we've got to referee a Facebook spat."

Biker: [RING RING] "AA, naow."

AA: "See you in 6 hours, maybe. Maybe not, that doesn't sound like a 'breakdown' to me. Call the polis."

Now what? How long can you wait by the bike? The hyenas only need 30 seconds worth of opportunity to jump on and ride it away.

Triumph provide a fobless key as standard. it fits in my wallet quite nicely.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:38 - 11 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comes to something when you've got to spend all your time thinking about how best to keep your bike yours against the ever evolving list of things thieves try to make your bike theirs.

What a time to be alive.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:10 - 11 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone who has a habit of leaving the key in the bike, keyless might be the answer. Although with all the security issues on cars maybe not.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 76 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2