Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

POLICE FOLLOW THIS...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Poseidon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:15 - 11 Feb 2017    Post subject: POLICE FOLLOW THIS... Reply with quote

Thread?

Something has been bothering me over the past few years. Those stickers on the back of security vans that state "police follow this van". What are they trying to achieve?

I've got it down to 2 scenarios in my head.

1) It's a warning to nobby and biggs, two of the finest armed blaggers left behind by the 70s, that they shouldn't try it on as the "police follow this van". Everywhere it goes, they go and theyre just desperate to nab some crooks.

2) It's a request to the police. The van could already have been nicked (may or may not have been nobby and biggs) and therefore having the "police follow this van", it'll spook the crims into making a break for it (making it obvious a heist is in progress), or else lead the rozzers back to the abandoned warehouse at the docks where they can call for backup and finally put away those pesky crooks.

With minor adjustment, this ambiguity could easily be resolved. For scenario 1, the addition of "the" at the start makes it a definite statement that "The police follow this van". For scenario 2, the addition of a comma would be helpful, politely requesting that any/all "Police, follow this van".

Anyone shed any light on this? Thoughts, feelings, emotions?

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:26 - 11 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I very doubt that UK has got the money to have police surveillance of every marked van. Half of your police staff doesn't even carry a gun. Thinking

So I'd say, it's the option no. 2, a cry for help of some sort.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 12:31 - 11 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the ambiguity of the sticker has made it stick in your head enough to make a post about it on a forum. A link has been formed in your head between the van, and the police. That strikes me as a pretty effective nudge or nugget or doubt if I was planning on stealing said van.

It certainly makes me think about how the police may be following it, what sort of tracker it might have, and how there are softer targets out there.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:38 - 11 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen stickers mentioning that the ha van should not be being driven outside of x hours. That sounds like a more effective one.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:03 - 11 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Police police police police police police police.

You'll rarely see a real one, so the best anyone can do is to try and make rogues at least think there might be some rozzers who are still doing actual rozzering. See also Cardboard Cutout Coppers.

https://i4.dailyrecord.co.uk/incoming/article5628822.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/JS62507868.jpg

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:07 - 11 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing

Yeah that used to bother me. Especially about the comma.

Cos I used to follow said vans and say to them/in my head/myself "Well the police ain't following you, buddy, cos I'm following you ... and there are no rozzers in sight".

Until it dawned on me that it's pretty much the equivalent of "There are no tools left in this van overnight".

Entirely likely, one supposes, that trackers in the van are directly linked to police emergency hot-lines, so do the security companies have to pay the Met for that?

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:17 - 11 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somewhat like all the petrol stations that have a police car parked on their forecourt. Took me AGES to realise "... oh wait. That's not *QUITE* a police car."

Cos you only glance, and you see ... a police-y thing.

Like those hi viz that some bikers insist on wearing that say "POLITE - " and then some other gumpf underneath. Even now I still think that says POLICE. Even though I know better, I have to do the double take.

J4mes
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:04 - 11 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
I very doubt that UK has got the money to have police surveillance of every marked van. Half of your police staff doesn't even carry a gun. Thinking

They don't need to because this is not the USA, Rwanda or some ex Soviet pauper laden shit hole.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:52 - 11 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

They don't get followed around but cops will often stop and wait nearby where possible if they see a pickup or drop off being made. If unable to stop they'll often ask the cctv operator to turn a camera in the relevant direction. The bigger loads are also often supervised by police here by arrangement when possible.

The majority are probably unsupervised but there a quite a few which are, generally just as a car drives past and spots them.

supZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:14 - 11 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always thought it was a request to police to follow them. Not a warning to others that police will follow it

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:35 - 11 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

as said very occasionally the police will follow the van about, normally if it has a large amount of cash in

they also have a tracker that the police can follow and it will activate and warn police if the vehicle deters from its set route

the cardboard coppers are to try and stop people shoplifting but really do not work (local scrotes stole the cardboard copper from a local shop for a laff)
the police cars you used to see were normally an older vehicle that was no longer in full service and left parked in a petrol station to deter drive offs

if there was a spate of them they parked the car up for a bit they also sometimes park them in supermarket carparks if the supermarket has a spate of shoplifters (normally when pikeys are in the area)

there was a car in aldi carpark today that was over 6 years old so not in active service
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:00 - 11 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

J4mes wrote:
RhynoCZ wrote:

They don't need to because this is not the USA, Rwanda or some ex Soviet pauper laden shit hole.

You know what James, ...

#thesixthsafestcountryonthisglobe Middle Finger

J4mes
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:29 - 11 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to who and based on what?

Because a quick google of "safest countries" doesn't even show it in the top 20. On some table I looked at.

Mr. Green

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:26 - 11 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
J4mes wrote:

You know what James, ...

#thesixthsafestcountryonthisglobe Middle Finger

Swing and a miss. Telegraph says that's Luxembourg.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/maps-and-graphics/safest-countries-in-the-world/

Thumbs Up

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:55 - 11 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The internet, huh? Rolling Eyes

https://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/011/307/Screen_Shot_2012-09-13_at_9.39.39_AM.png

To use an Czech site, as you used a British one: https://www.czechinvest.org/en/the-czech-republic-is-the-sixth-safest-country-in-the-world

But still, don't care, won't elaborate. Thumbs Up

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:06 - 11 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:

I like the cut of your jib. The Torygraph's link was based on data from the World Economic Forum. Funnily enough, even Rwanda beat the UK. Shocked

Can we agree that it's just the media spinning what shite suits their agenda and move on? Thumbs Up

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:33 - 11 Feb 2017    Post subject: Re: POLICE FOLLOW THIS... Reply with quote

Poseidon wrote:

Police, follow this van.

only applied to Commers
https://s23.postimg.org/mihzfzmor/commer.jpg

Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:06 - 11 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyscooter wrote:

there was a car in aldi carpark today that was over 6 years old so not in active service

The minibus used locally to me is an 09 plate. Police are skint and won't replace a car now till it really dies. Plenty of '10 plates still about in full 24 hour service too.

Mawsley
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:30 - 11 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
Well, the ambiguity of the sticker has made it stick in your head enough to make a post about it on a forum. A link has been formed in your head between the van, and the police.

This is true because I've seen stickers on vans in the past, and now every time I see one I think "tool".

orac
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:11 - 11 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The person in can use PDA type things, every one in a while they flash up and have the he responded to (IRCC double tap ok the screen). If the response doesn't happen the police are automaticly called and gps co-ordinates sent. So while the backs aren't directly followed they are followed electronically.

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:33 - 11 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see police parked up behind the aforementioned vans quite regularly when they're making a pick up or drop off around these parts.

Still doesn't stop them getting robbed though, especially when a gang of blokes appear on the scene with guns, as po po are unarmed.

At least it gives the police something interesting to watch though.

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:10 - 12 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave70 wrote:
I see police parked up behind the aforementioned vans quite regularly when they're making a pick up or drop off around these parts.

Still doesn't stop them getting robbed though, especially when a gang of blokes appear on the scene with guns, as po po are unarmed.

At least it gives the police something interesting to watch though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIFRsGSSKYw

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:11 - 12 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

POLICE follow this bike

...if you think you have any chance of catching it. Twisted Evil

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:16 - 12 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
POLICE follow this bike

...if you think you have any chance of catching it. Twisted Evil

You can't outrun the radio though. Razz

Azoth
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 02:57 - 12 Feb 2017    Post subject: Re: POLICE FOLLOW THIS... Reply with quote

Poseidon wrote:
Thread?

Something has been bothering me over the past few years. Those stickers on the back of security vans that state "police follow this van". What are they trying to achieve?

I've got it down to 2 scenarios in my head.

1) It's a warning to nobby and biggs, two of the finest armed blaggers left behind by the 70s, that they shouldn't try it on as the "police follow this van". Everywhere it goes, they go and theyre just desperate to nab some crooks.

2) It's a request to the police. The van could already have been nicked (may or may not have been nobby and biggs) and therefore having the "police follow this van", it'll spook the crims into making a break for it (making it obvious a heist is in progress), or else lead the rozzers back to the abandoned warehouse at the docks where they can call for backup and finally put away those pesky crooks.

With minor adjustment, this ambiguity could easily be resolved. For scenario 1, the addition of "the" at the start makes it a definite statement that "The police follow this van". For scenario 2, the addition of a comma would be helpful, politely requesting that any/all "Police, follow this van".

The third possibility is that it means:

[This is an order from the] police [:] (indicative)
Follow this van [and pull over behind me!] (imperative)
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 73 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2