Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Transmission noise on Honda S Wing .

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Radiomax10
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:47 - 11 Feb 2017    Post subject: Transmission noise on Honda S Wing . Reply with quote

I bought the scooter new in 2009 . It has now covered 8000 miles . Always serviced well and is in mint condition . From day one I was worried by a noise that seems to come from the transmission . It is worse when I accelerate hard from a low speed . Once I reach about 38 mph it gets better and when doing 45-50 or above it is fairly quiet . When cruising at a constant speed it is not really there . On overun it is very quiet . Hard to describe the noise . It is low pitched and almost sounds like the belt hitting the case in a fast rythmic way . It is at its worst when riding on a hot day . I have done a few motorway trips at 60 mph . It sounds really loud after going fast and then riding in traffic . I notice that the belt case gets pretty hot under these conditions . I took the bike back to the dealer after the first week . He rode it and said it was normal for this model and not a problem . However as time has gone on , it seems to have got louder . The engine is very quiet and runs perfectly . Top speed and power is fine . I can still get 65 mph + on the flat with no vibration .Acceleration is just as it ever was . I removed the belt cover and found very little dust inside . The belt looks perfect and I can see no contact marks on the case . There is no play on the crank / front pulley and none on the clutch bearing either . The belt is not loose and there is no evidence of cracks or fraying . Maybe I worry for nothing but this noise spoils my enjoyment of an otherwise superb and totally reliable bike . Any comments would be VERY welcome .

davebike
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:08 - 13 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done a fair bit on silver wings Sadly the transmission /clutch is the weak point

I suspect worn or damaged transmission rollers or pull away clutch
It is transmission strip down time be careful silver wing belt rollers and clutches are very expensive !
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

cb1rocket
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:27 - 14 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I belive he is referring to the S wing 125. Not the 600 silver wing.

The bearings on the rear clutch assembly is probably shot. I have dealt with 5 s-wings and they all make a racket from the transmission. Is fixable and like you says go away after speeding up as the axle and bearings run at the same speed so no bearing movement.

Radiomax10
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:56 - 15 Feb 2017    Post subject: Yes , it's a 125 . Reply with quote

Yes , the bike is an S wing 125 cc .
Strange though that the noise was there even from new . I have removed the case and there seems to be no play on the clutch drum . If the bearings were worn , would I feel it by trying to move the whole unit . Would I feel vibration from a worn bearing ?
Thanks for comments .

cb1rocket
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:49 - 20 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

you would hear it if you spun the clutch once the bell housing is off.

Vibrations is possible but usually from a slack/worn belt
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 65 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1