Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Do any of you still enjoy riding in crap weather?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:21 - 12 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bikes in the garage, me in the warm Thumbs Up
It can stay like that until warm weather Thumbs Up
Getting cold and wet, stuff that!

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:26 - 12 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last weekend went down to the Ace to meet some of the SE crew for breakfast. It was cold, foggy, there were wet roads and a near bald 2CT on the front of the ZX6.

Days like that remind me why I hate riding in crap weather. Very little fun involved in the actual ride at all. Can't push the bike too hard, the cold gets into my old bones, and like Waffles said cleaning it all up afterwards is just too much like hard work.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:03 - 12 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weather doesn't really phase me as long as it's not ice or snow.

Having said that, the joy isn't really there in winter, unless it's one of those glorious, crisp, crystal clear, sunny dry days that sometimes happen.

Most of the time I'm doing a 1-hour countryside commute from Leeds which is a gigantic chore in the dark, and worse if raining. Swings and roundabouts though because it's an absolutely brilliant ride at other times of the year.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:12 - 12 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, like most here, I don't enjoy it so much in crap weather, and don't if I don't have to. I keep the bikes road legal through the winter though in case we get a good day. The only one this winter:

https://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b550/nicknicklxs/DSCN8210_zps8tmkyuhp.jpg

It was reasonably mild, dry roads and sunny. That one ride so lifted the winter blues, it was almost worth the wait. A cracking day out on the winter hack (the Fazer probably won't come out again until there's no more chance of them salting the roads).
I've done years of commuting, both in town and on motorways, in all weather before I had a car, and would again if I had to, but I wouldn't enjoy it. I have actually enjoyed a couple of rides in wet conditions before, but it's not something I go looking for. The cold is what turns me off more these days.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:38 - 12 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it cos all the other bikers stay home Cool

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:51 - 12 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with chicken strip in that keep at least one bike taxed and usable all year, as in this daft country you can't bank on seasons, temperature or rainfall patterns. A good November or February day is a good riding day, as much as a wet windy week in June isn't.

But overall riding isn't even the problem for me. I won't even go into the garage or shed unless it's over 8degrees to even work on my bikes. If I could happily work in 0-5degree weather outside of work times, I could have built a project bike already this winter, and be looking for the next one to buy.

My other pussy excuse is that I'm having a bit of trouble again with loss of feeling in my left lower arm and hand. It comes and go's, but it always more painful in the cold. I've spent 20years abusing my body physically just at work, so have little interest in cold weather riding. At least on my mountain bike I can keep warmer, fuck doing 70mph on the dual carriageway shivering.

Us non commuters and low miles riders don't believe in heated clothing or bar muffs either, so it's another reason to say fuck it!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:53 - 12 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do it when I have to.
Rare when I go for a joyride during winter.
I'm in the elements most days so it's nice to be indoors sometimes.

My daughter and her fella arrived on his 600 Diversion (I like him as #1 My bikes are better than his. #2 His bike is well maintained).
They'd got caught in a foul weather and it took the best part of 3hrs to dry their kit.
Sod that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:01 - 12 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually:

Howling Terror wrote:

Sod that.

/thread
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Petemate
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:19 - 12 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good thread. I can see where a lot of you are coming from. At age 80, I don't go out at all if it is peeing down. I also now would deffo NOT go out on either snow or ice. Before the 22 year gap following giving up biking for a living (ie despatching out of LHR, which of course included daily runs whatever the conditions from Oxford) I had a scare on some diesel in the little chicane near Sainsburys at Heyford Hill near Oxford on the third day after getting my current bike back on the road. This quickly reminded me of how brave (stupid) I must have been in the day when I was trundling round on my Reveres to earn a crust. Now that I don't have to, I don't ride in the rain or bad conditions. I sympathise with those who have to and remember what it was like.
Before my MOT in April I must get a new rear tyre; best advice for one which will hold up on damp roads? (cost also being the issue here - 110/90-16)
Good luck All
Pete

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:04 - 12 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I love it, provided the temperature is above 5 degrees, therefore no risk of ice, I will go the twisty way, and ride pretty much like I do in summer, passing about 100 cars each journey. Takes a good 10-15 mins longer, but even in this weather its worth it.

What I hate very very much, is when the risk of ice forces me no the dual carriageway commute. Cars like to bunch up, tailgate and do stupid things, no lane discipline or common sense. I'm forced to lane split a lot to maintain safe gaps. The road is usually gritted and no problems with grip.

Often walk past a 15 plate ducati in lunch break, its ridden every day and coated in a decent amount of fresh mud (seems to be cleaned a lot). This is how a bike should be in winter.

ackack
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 17:15 - 12 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cold I can live with, greasy, icy, muddy and wet roads I can't.
I'm hoping to commute the next couple of days if the forecast is correct.

Snop Doog
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:17 - 12 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:24 - 12 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bikes are taxed all year round and I might nip for a ride out on a weekend if it's dry and not icy, but generally I don't ride from the end of October while March. Riding in winter is a pursuit of the foolhardy or those on low incomes (unless you ride for a living).

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:24 - 12 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its a choice between going shopping after work or letting the Mrs go while I'm at work, I'll dig the bike out whatever the weather.
I only have a short commute but it feels like forever in the cold/wind/rain.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:40 - 12 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I commute on the bike most days, but as it's pretty much all motorway, I only REALLY enjoy the cold wet winter rides if there's a huge accident / congestion.

Then smug-mode gets activated.

Any normal journey where I could have done it in a similar time in the car with heated seats etc, I feel somewhere between irritated and "less-smug".

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:47 - 12 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
I only REALLY enjoy the cold wet winter rides if there's a huge accident

Shocked Laughing

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:52 - 12 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's nice in sub-zero to get properly dressed in the house, wheel the bike out, and be off with the heated grips and wardrobe by Michelin Man keeping me toasty, whilst Mrs Bamt scrapes off her car in the driveway and then sits in a freezing cold box for several minutes until it starts to properly warm up.

Taking the bike is warmer and faster!

Snowdonia Rider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:17 - 12 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoy being on the bike no matter what the weather or conditions. I enjoy riding in extreme weather.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:54 - 12 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I commute in anything that isn't looking like its going to be inches snow, do I enjoy it... if its dry yes. The cold does not get to me too much and the wet does not often penetrate my gear, but slippy roads are just no fun Sad .

And as for having to clean my bike every weekend to get the road grime and salt off the bike thats the bit that the really gets on my tits. Not many "joyrides" in the winter as it means more cleaning Smile
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:09 - 12 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I miss riding through the rain in correct gear, it's a great way of feeling exhilarated.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:18 - 12 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheSmiler wrote:
...it's a great way of feeling exhilarated.

So's going through the car wash with the windows down, doesn't make it any less mental. Laughing If it's exhilaration
you're after, try shoplifting. 80 quid fine and a slap on your good wrist if you're caught and free stuff if you're not.
If you prefer that al fresco feel you saucy bugger, then go on the thieve at the nearest farmers market on a wet Sunday
morning in just your grundies (Makes you harder to grab Wink ).

You're welcome. Thumbs Up

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:37 - 12 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
TheSmiler wrote:
...it's a great way of feeling exhilarated.

So's going through the car wash with the windows down, doesn't make it any less mental. Laughing If it's exhilaration
you're after, try shoplifting. 80 quid fine and a slap on your good wrist if you're caught and free stuff if you're not.
If you prefer that al fresco feel you saucy bugger, then go on the thieve at the nearest farmers market on a wet Sunday
morning in just your grundies (Makes you harder to grab Wink ).

You're welcome. Thumbs Up

Bonus points if naked and covered in your own excrement.
Nobody is going to rugby tackle you then.

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:03 - 13 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to do it for work. After a few days I do get bored of turning up home wet through to the underwear. There is only so much that waterproofs can cope with before becoming waterlogged.

I have done what I can to keep comfortable. Lots of layers so even if I get wet its not cold, heated grips and bar muffs keep the hands warm.

Doing a DAS course is better than a CBT in the rain, standing around the yard getting piss wet through is soul destroying, At least on DAS you tend to spend most of the day on the bikes.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:20 - 13 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it comes down to time savings, or rather lack of. By the time I've locked the thing away back at base upon returning from a commute I could be, around the same time, walking through the front door after using public transport so recently where bad weather is concerned I've just not even entertained the idea of riding and spent the cash for a day ticket instead because easier, end goal is the same.

Saying that recently it's been 0-3 degree's all day for about a week and snow, sleet etc so I wouldn't go out in that voluntarily in the best of moods. Once the temperatures pick up to above 5 all day and there's only rain forecast I'll be back commuting without hesitation.

There's few and far between days IME during winter where enjoyment is had. I went out once on the big-un last year not long after I got it for a twenty mile ride at most just to get some more miles under me belt and since then it's just been commuting, or rather lack of.

Think storage may play a part also because if my hands are cold the by the time I've got the thing on the path ready to go then it's never going to get any better and is pointless.

Before the Jan/Feb bad cold set in I did, for a week or perhaps two, only go out on dry days because while I could be sensible the fun you can have, even on a commute, on a dry day is endless. Getting a bike that can be enjoyed rather than existing for the sole purpose of taking you to work and back makes me think twice about forcing myself to go out in bad weather because work.

I think there's been at least one period of time through every winter I've done where I've asked myself this same question. Is it all worth it? Why? so on and so forth and then sun comes out, briefly, and all is forgotten.

I got out perhaps once a week at current on the commute and then know its fine again for the same thing in another week. The Arrow used to kick me in the gunads if I left it for more than three days when attempting to cold start, so that plays a part also.

Plus as had been said the maintenance required because gritted roads and crap gets tiresome after a commute. Washing it down, the road salt, after a ride may only take a minuate or two but it all adds onto the faffery and when you think about all you've got to do in the morning when weighing up if its worth it or not often is like: ney thanks.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 73 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4