Semi Synth 10w40 £1.99 litre!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:13 - 17 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom_e wrote:
Look at the 4l with 1l free, it'll always be expensive if you buy it by the litre.

Exactly this ^

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motul-5000-10W-40-4T-Motorcycle-Engine-Oil-10W40-4L-1L-FREE-5-Litres-5L-/171155294608 = £5.39 per litre

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motul-5000-4T-Semi-Synthetic-4-Stroke-10W40-Motorcycle-Bike-Engine-Oil-/371317089949 = £5.13 per litre

I've ordered oil from JJC a few times in the past. Good service and quick delivery Thumbs Up

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:40 - 17 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

so stick to motul 7100 10w30 for the honda msx 125
and motul 7100 10w40 for the GSXR 1000

that £1.99 oil sounded very tempting........sigh!

why are oil threads so confusing like pototoe!

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 14:43 - 17 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

woo wrote:
so stick to motul 7100 10w30 for the honda msx 125
and motul 7100 10w40 for the GSXR 1000

that £1.99 oil sounded very tempting........sigh!

why are oil threads so confusing like pototoe!

They aren't. We shall see how long the GSXR runs on basic semi. Betting it'll last far far beyond what people say. Lubrication is lubrication. It's regular changes will keep it alive.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:58 - 17 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

see heres the thing that pototoes my mind with oil discussions.

both motorbike shops that i trust in their experience both say that semi is fine for the GSXR 1000 on the road
doble highly recommend fully synthetic for the MSX 125

but then other "online personas" say that fully synthetic is better!

then you see oil like this for £1.99 then im like troll face da faq is this!

I swear that oil discussions are more confusing than trying to understand crazy people logic (e.g. i like going scotland but yet im subtlety accused of having another woman up there.........theres no way i would ride 530 miles for 12hrs just to cheat when i could do that in London) Confused

Last edited by woo on 20:14 - 23 Oct 2023; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 15:35 - 17 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use what you want.

Don't cry if it goes bang.

Don't cry if it costs more.

People can never win oil arguments, in my opinion lubrication is lubrication.

tom_e
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:40 - 17 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:

People can never win oil arguments, in my opinion lubrication is lubrication.

The mrs was not happy when I slapped some semi synth 10w40 on her arse the other night...snotty bint said it was full ester synthetic or I could go back to wanking.

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 11:46 - 18 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pigeon wrote:
I used some halfords fully synth in my SV a year ago and again in the last 500 miles (as still had half the bottle left). It was API SN so had low zinc (used to help prevent metal on metal wear) levels compared to SJ/SL (many motorbike oils are still based on older API approved oil, perhaps because more zinc is needed, or maybe there is no money in it for the extra R&D or just not worth spending on new advertising / packaging etc).
It also had high Calcium (used as a detergent).

On both occasions, the oil turned black very quickly and the gearbox never felt as nice, made it feel clunky.

In between the Halfords stuff, I used Total Quartz 9000. Same API SN, but with added Boron (anti-wear agent used to replace missing zinc from newer API spec) and less Calcium. Night/day in terms of feel. Beautifully slick gear changes.

My SV became unwell while on the Halfords stuff, but I'm not really drawing any direct correlation as it sounded fecked from day 1 Smile

I'm running the Total Quartz in my Striple too. Again, its a lovely slick gear change...

This^^ is how I tend to choose my oils.

On my last bike, the shop filled it with Mobil 1 at the first service and the gearchange was still smooth after 5,000 miles.

Then I changed it myself and put in Yamalube: Big mistake – the gearchange was clonk city. After 1,000 miles I could take no more, refilled with Mobil 1, and normal, slick service was resumed.

My current bike is running Motul 5100 and the gearchange is as slick as a slick thing. Provided it stays that way, I'll be sticking with the Motul.

I'm not interested in saving a few quid on oil if it makes the gearchange feel like a bag of spanners.

As ever, YMMV.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:53 - 18 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJP wrote:

This^^ is how I tend to choose my oils.

On my last bike, the shop filled it with Mobil 1 at the first service and the gearchange was still smooth after 5,000 miles.

Then I changed it myself and put in Yamalube: Big mistake – the gearchange was clonk city. After 1,000 miles I could take no more, refilled with Mobil 1, and normal, slick service was resumed.

My current bike is running Motul 5100 and the gearchange is as slick as a slick thing. Provided it stays that way, I'll be sticking with the Motul.

I'm not interested in saving a few quid on oil if it makes the gearchange feel like a bag of spanners.

As ever, YMMV.

You put Yamalube in a Suzuki Shocked

No wonder it didn't feel right, the bike was rejecting it Wink

Snod Blatter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 15:20 - 18 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like me some cheap oil, so I went to the Home Bargs in Coalville and found they do two kinds - Standard and Super.

https://i.imgur.com/UhuWTou.jpg

Weirdly they are both the same price, but the Super is SJ/MA-2 while the Standard is SG/MA. I don't care about that, either is good enough for what I own, but I did stay crouched there sloshing the bottles next to my ear while people skirted around me like I'd gone full window licker. As far as I can tell, the Standard is very thin in the bottle (like all cheap oil I've ever bought) while the Super is a little thicker. Naturally I went Super, it'll do for top ups if nothing else.

If they start properly stocking this, or even better selling it in 4/5L bottles then they could sew up the market if it's any good at all.

Also, if you want some SAE50 for reasons that escape me, they have you covered for that as well.

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:30 - 13 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turns out crappy cheap oil is cheap and crappy.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=4428612

Who'd a thunk it?

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:08 - 13 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my reservations about it from the off, although my opinion was nearly swayed!

That said, my gut feeling was and still is to buy a proper branded oil from a shop. I don't think it's worth the gamble all things considered.

Snod Blatter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:26 - 13 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting, anyone else tried it yet? I haven't opened mine, but if it's clutch slip city then I can stick it in the K100 anyway.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:18 - 13 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

weasley wrote:
andym wrote:
Oil is oil regardless of brand

OK, so what is "oil"?

Pass the popcorn Laughing

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:41 - 14 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The labels may well be lies, but even just going on that. API-SG was 1988. SJ was 2000, but even still. API SM (haven't got SN to hand) stipulates an average cam wear limit thats nearly 40% less in 2010.

Labels may well not be factual anyway.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 02:20 - 14 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

woo wrote:
see heres the thing that pototoes my mind with oil discussions.

both motorbike shops that i trust in their experience both say that semi is fine for the GSXR 1000 on the road
doble highly recommend fully synthetic for the MSX 125

That kind of makes sense from an oil temperature~v~oil capacity view.

Modern bikes tend to hold very little oil. My 650 Deauville holds just short of 4 litres whereas my ER6 holds just short of 2 litres. With this in mind the Deauville oil level tends not to change whereas the ER6 uses a bit. I suspect this is because the oil in the ER6 due to having a smaller reservoir runs hotter than the Deauville.

With the MSX125 the oil reservoir is very small so the oil has to work lots harder at higher temperatures than the GSXR1000 so a better oil makes sense.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:48 - 14 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw, man, if you can't trust Russian oil manufactured in complyance with the latest technology, what can you trust? Crying or Very sad

Oilpal thread.

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:03 - 14 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bozzy wrote:
That said, my gut feeling was and still is to buy a proper branded oil from a shop. I don't think it's worth the gamble all things considered.

I really don't think it is either. You can get Motul 5000 delivered to your door for just under £5 per litre. No idea how that stacks up against cheap own brands or supermarket specials?

The reason I'm willing to pay a few quid extra though is because the Motul gives a noticeably smoother gear change in every bike I've put it in. Even the semi-agricultural GSX box has benefited from it. For me, that's worth the extra.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 12:09 - 14 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt B wrote:
I really don't think it is either. You can get Motul 5000 delivered to your door for just under £5 per litre. No idea how that stacks up against cheap own brands or supermarket specials?

I have 2 4 litre bottles here, 7.99 each.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 43 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3