BCF: Bike Chat Forums

More power!!!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Daz1245
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 01:38 - 14 Feb 2017    Post subject: More power!!! Reply with quote

Hello currently have a rf600r, and wondering what's the best ways to mod these motors?
Would I get best benefits from a engine conversion? If so does anyone know what engines swap straight into one of these? Or am I best just looking for a rf900 too end ?
Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:17 - 14 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just buy an RF900. It's not like they are expensive and it's less headache than doing an engine swop or trying to tune yours.

Daz1245
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 09:30 - 14 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would but I've spend shit loads restoring this into
What it is now and don't want to get rid of this as I love this bike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 09:47 - 14 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daz1245 wrote:
I would but I've spend shit loads restoring this into

Then leave it as it is.

You'll love it less soon when you realise its a mere whiff of a GSXR, and GSXR gets all the ladies.

Could always just buy one and sell this... Laughing

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:56 - 14 Feb 2017    Post subject: Re: More power!!! Reply with quote

Daz1245 wrote:
Hello currently have a rf600r, and wondering what's the best ways to mod these motors?
Would I get best benefits from a engine conversion? If so does anyone know what engines swap straight into one of these? Or am I best just looking for a rf900 too end ?
Thanks

Have a look at which of the parts on your RF600 transfer to the RF900 I think most will.

That way you can still have your lovely RF with most of the tweaks you have done to it, its just a 900...

Thumbs Up

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:54 - 14 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daz1245 wrote:

What exactly do you love about it?

The spaceship styling was a nice-quirky.

Another vote for 'get a faster bike' if that's what you want.

It would probably be less hassle and cheaper to get the 900 if you're really stuck on the style and 'restore' it than to get more power out of the 600.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:55 - 14 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was intrigued by this so figured I'd add some ..

The 600 is a short stroke, high revving machine 65 x 45.2mm (peak power @11500).

The 900 on the other hand is 73 x 56mm and offers bags more torque as a consequence (peak power @10000)

Swapping the top end (if it's even feasible) will not buy you that many more ccs and you're still left with a high revver - assuming you can sort out the carburation that is.

On balance a poor idea IMO.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:13 - 14 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't bother. If you want a faster bike, get a faster bike. The RF600 motor is reasonably highly strung as it is, and is never going to be up to the technology of a more modern GSXR600. If you were to, say, buy a cheap GSXR750 SRAD, you'd see massive gains in both performance and handling.

The RF600 is not widely considered to be a good or special bike but you'll not get more from it without seriously hampering reliability and spending a lot of cash. Even the contemporary bikes of the time were better (such as the CBR600F etc).

You can pick up GSXR SRAD's for next to nothing at the moment, so I'd consider that... or if you've got a bit more to spend go with a K1 or newer. You will thank us if you do that.

Daz1245
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:44 - 14 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advise, think I will keep the rf as it is and get another bike in the future, I have never had plans to get rid of the rf6 so will keep it standard

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:59 - 14 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daz1245 wrote:
don't want to get rid of this as I love this bike

Until you've got something shinier and faster. Wink

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:25 - 14 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intake/exhaust, jet kit, most likely amount to stupid £££ for small gains though.

Might be worth just playing with the gearing if you are looking to change it up a bit?

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:19 - 14 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disagree. Its a unique motor in the RF range, they look a bit like the water cooled GSXR 750/1100's but they seem to be different enough.

Im not aware of any easy ways to increase capacity of the smaller RF engine, and it won't really be supported well by tuning firms, a bit like you can get naff all performance parts for the ZZR600 engine compared to the ZX6R motor.

Its a shame you didn't restore a teapot GSXF 600, as with the old oil boilers you have several ways of increasing cc's and tuning for more power, to the extent that you could make one really embaress a std Bandit 1200 for example.

Daz1245
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 23:56 - 14 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i.imgur.com/M8696zm.jpg

This is my rf600r it's been my project this year was a garden dump when I borght it, loads of new parts and complete respray and here she is, this is why I don't want to get rid of her

Daz1245
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 00:01 - 15 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Daz1245 wrote:
don't want to get rid of this as I love this bike

Until you've got something shinier and faster. Wink

I've got the shiny part alright just not enough power lol

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:04 - 15 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daz1245 wrote:
https://i.imgur.com/M8696zm.jpg

This is my rf600r it's been my project this year was a garden dump when I borght it, loads of new parts and complete respray and here she is, this is why I don't want to get rid of her

Its not to everyone's taste, but I love it. Thumbs Up

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 11:40 - 15 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daz1245 wrote:
I've got the shiny part alright just not enough power lol

It's a 100bhp motorcycle... it is MORE than enough... and if you think it aint, you aint using it right....

RF's always been a bit of an odd-ball; it was always critasised for it's lackings, mostly it not being a CBR600, and it's err.. 'odd' styling, and never appreciated for just how good it actually was. Rapidly falling into the bargain basement of the unloved, user abuse and neglect oft gave much more oportunity for even more criticism, that is probably NOT all that fair on the thing... well.. still looks wiered either which way!

However... it DOES have a more than respectable dose of power, and certainly more than enough to be entertaining.... I found the 'old' GSX600F tea-pot, rather underwhelming; it's mere 75bhp on paper wasn't anything to be sniffed at, you just had to thrash the pants off the thing to get at it.. and that sort of showed up all the bikes other weaknesses!!! I suspect the RF is much the same but more so... unfortunately none of them I have ever encountered have worked well enough, if at all to put the theory to the test, most being No1-son's never-finished-projects, but still...

It is NOT a bike, I would even consider messing with, really.. it was never a 'contender' even in its day; there were quicker, more powerful, better handling bikes about, it's forte was trying to remain somewhat more every-day, all-round 'useful'.. and doing it on a budget.... and these days, the faster, more powerful, better handling bikes are often living in the same budget realms, blunting even that advantage...

IF you want to keep this bike, and enjoy it, stop making the mistake all its critics for a decade did, and critasising it for what it isn't and appreciate it for what it is...

Old paddoc adage, "want a faster bike, fit a better rider", goes a long way on this one; IF the bike is tip-top after resto and that's not a pile of pretty painted scrap hiding knackered mechanical.... and possibly even a set of 33bhp restriction washers? (They were cheap enough to get a lot of 33bhp restrict riders exited over them, in that era...)

But, I might be tempted to drop a tooth off the gearbox sprocket, and maybe gain one or two on the wheel cog, to down gear it a bit to make getting at the revs a bit easier in the taller gears.. its a 130mph motorcycle, you can afford to loose a few points off the top end for everyday thrasheability... otherwise, not riding it like a newb, using the lower cogs, not short shifting, there' should be plenty of power there, as it stands.. it just you have to work for it.

If you want more power? Well, how much can you handle or afford? Most bikes that have more, will also come with more mass and bigger bills, like the RF9, or a ZZR11, or other similar era bruisers. Other 600's wont have much more beef, they may have less mass, and likely better handling, but they wont have a lot more oomph.. and you'll still need to appreciate the bikes nature to get at and exploit whatever they have, which brings us back round to top really.. if you want 'more' it probably isn't the best bike to start with, get something that better suits your aspirations, OR appreciate what you got for what it is and can do.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 12:06 - 15 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tef, 100hp is not enough.

HTH.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 12:07 - 15 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:

It's a 100bhp motorcycle... it is MORE than enough... and if you think it aint, you aint using it right....

So, prey do tell, if I want to be lazy and not change gear so much on my RF600, so I want more power... how would I go about 'using it right' to achieve that?

Quote:
If you want more power? Well, how much can you handle or afford? Most bikes that have more, will also come with more mass and bigger bills, like the RF9, or a ZZR11, or other similar era bruisers. Other 600's wont have much more beef, they may have less mass, and likely better handling, but they wont have a lot more oomph.

Newer 600s will have a noticably more go if your budget stretches - especially if you're talking '600 class' like the 636 and 675.
Hell, a modern superbike that probably has twice the power of the RF is likely smaller and lighter.
But yes, if you make use of more power, it's going to wear stuff quicker, no getting away from that!

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:49 - 15 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the looks.

Turbo-nitrous is obviously the answer.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:54 - 15 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt the RF600 makes a genuine 100bhp. Maybe 80bhp on a good day.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:25 - 15 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
I doubt the RF600 makes a genuine 100bhp. Maybe 80bhp on a good day.

Indeed. I know someone who had one from new (in vomit yellow). It wouldn't do much more than 140 unless it was downhill with a tailwind, which is slow for something claiming 100bhp.

Tldr- teffers is talking bollocks as per usual.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:32 - 15 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd still expect 85bhp from it though at the wheel. Either way it should have been as fast as any other non ram air 600, FZR etc.

I've not got much qualified opinion, but I appreciate the 100bhp is enough to get around with reasoning.

The only big bike I've ever had that didn't have quite as much power as I needed at the time was a CB500S that was loaded up with a topbox and tent for a camping trip. I was using full throttle and most of the Revs several times on a winding and hilly A-road trying to get past cars going say 50-55mph. Probably more poor obs than gutless Honda though?

Wanting more power for easier riding, poorer planning or being lazy on, or just for thrill seeking is very different to physically not having enough power to climb a hill or maintain the speed limit etc.

If I wanted to maintain an average 100mph on a Sunday ride then I wouldn't pick a CB500 etc.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:39 - 15 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, now for something that might satisfy OP's needs.

Try short final drive gear ratio, preferably with a short/quick action throttle. Both mods are cheap and easy to do. Thumbs Up

I experimented with final drive gear ratios on my CB-1 and believe you me, having a short final drive gear ratio makes your motorcycle way more fun. Not necessarily faster, although the CB-1 was faster with the short final drive gear ratio (190kph+ / original ratio about 175kph). The downside of short final drive gear ratio is worse MPG and more revs all the time = more heat and I do believe more engine wear. But it sure turns a boring bike into a fun one. Razz

Reading the specs, your RF 600 should do 235kph, imagine if it did only 220 but got there waaaaaaaaay quicker. That's what getting shorter final drive gear ratio is all about. IF your 6th gear is an overdrive, then it might even make your motorcycle faster than 235kph, if that's what you seek.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:43 - 15 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
I appreciate the 100bhp is enough to get around with reasoning.

A c90 is enough to get around. Wink

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:02 - 15 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
stevo as b4 wrote:
I appreciate the 100bhp is enough to get around with reasoning.

A c90 is enough to get around. Wink

So is a motobility scootay. Although I'd much rather ride a c90 around ASDA.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 71 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2