Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Hi Auto or Manuel

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Vincent Law
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:09 - 14 Feb 2017    Post subject: Hi Auto or Manuel Reply with quote

Hi everyone. At the age of 32 I have decided it is time to be part of the biker community. My plan is to first learn how to ride a bicycle. Next month I have some training with a instructor. Then later in the year when I am confident on a bicycle to then book a CBT.

My plan was to learn on a automatic/scooter since I tend to travel a lot to SE Asian and scooters tend to be the ride of choice over there. But seems looking/reading on the forum everyone seems to be riding Manuel.

Should I learn on a manual or stick to my original plan and learn on auto?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:14 - 14 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you drive a manual car?

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:16 - 14 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manual - riding Manuel sounds like you're having sex with a waiter.

In this country you'd be limited on bike choice if you were to pass actual tests on an automatic as there's not that many auto bikes to choose from, except Maxi Scooters.

However, for CBT you can learn on an auto and still be entitled to ride a 125 manual bike afterwards. But ask yourself the question, if you're gonna do it, why not learn ALL of it and then choose whether you want a twist and go?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:19 - 14 Feb 2017    Post subject: Re: Hi Auto or Manuel Reply with quote

Vincent Law wrote:
But seems looking/reading on the forum everyone seems to be riding Manuel.

Que? Shocked

Vincent Law
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:29 - 14 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Do you drive a manual car?

No.

Vincent Law
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:31 - 14 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Manual - riding Manuel sounds like you're having sex with a waiter.

In this country you'd be limited on bike choice if you were to pass actual tests on an automatic as there's not that many auto bikes to choose from, except Maxi Scooters.

However, for CBT you can learn on an auto and still be entitled to ride a 125 manual bike afterwards. But ask yourself the question, if you're gonna do it, why not learn ALL of it and then choose whether you want a twist and go?

Thanks. I will book some one to one lessons before my CBT.

stevew
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:35 - 14 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Vincent.
As a bikeability instructor trainer and a motorcyclist I think you might as well go for the geared option as that will allow you ride both.

But if you haven't ridden two wheels before take your time. The initial learning on the bicycle can seem like is never going right but please believe me you will be able to do it. Never yet had a failure from non cyclists learning.
Spend a good time on the bicycle, maybe consider the e-bike option (can be expensive though)

There are a lot of auto bikes in Asia and even the "pizza delivery" style stuff is considered as an auto here in the UK. They do have gears but no clutch. Things like the Honda Dream, known as the Wave here.
Twist and go (auto) are really easy to master and not too powerful. Just depends what you want. If it's just CBT and then ride a 110cc bike like the Vision would do well but you can't do your test on it. Got to be a 125cc bike for that.

What part of the UK are you in?

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:46 - 14 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vincent Law wrote:

Thanks. I will book some one to one lessons before my CBT.

You'll need your CBT first and foremost. This is a day with the instructor where you learn the absolute basics.
Pulling away, slowing down, changing gear etc. You'll likely be doing it with another person in a similar situation to you and it'll be in a car park or private road to begin with.
Trust the instructor, though. I can't imagine any instructor in their right mind would allow you to do something which they don't think you're capable of doing safely.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:54 - 14 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Op can't ride a bycycle yet so CBT is a long way off

Once that's sorted op come back to see us

Also not sure if UK provisional will cover bike in aisa anyway
Or if they need a licence

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:08 - 14 Feb 2017    Post subject: Re: Hi Auto or Manuel Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Que? Shocked

C. K. Watt.

OP, don't sweat it. Do what best constitutes your happiness without reference to us, or to anyone so unconnected with you.

It's a smart move to do a bit of pedalling before doing the CBT, but remember that it's Compulsory Basic Training. It's not pass/fail, you're paying for a service, and for an experience.

Don't hang around, do the CBT as soon as you feel you'll enjoy it. And don't worry about what you do it on. In the UK, it doesn't matter - geared or manual qualifies you for further riding or training. Outside the UK, it doesn't matter - neither qualifies you for riding.

Less thinky, more ridey, it's all good.

Azoth
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:18 - 14 Feb 2017    Post subject: Re: Hi Auto or Manuel Reply with quote

Vincent Law wrote:

My plan was to learn on a automatic/scooter since I tend to travel a lot to SE Asian and scooters tend to be the ride of choice over there.

I know what you mean, and I wouldn't do it. If you have an accident, you're the one who gets lynched and rinsed for every last penny out there. In some SE Asian countries, liability accrues to whoever is better able to pay for the damage. In most SE Asian countries, the foreigner is always blamed. In many SE Asian countries, violence ensues after road accidents.

I would definitely ride a big bike in Asia, but moped/scooter riding in the thick of traffic in the big city? No fun at all. Why bother? Motorcycle and regular taxis are cheap anyway.

Vincent Law
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:42 - 14 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevew wrote:
Hi Vincent.
As a bikeability instructor trainer and a motorcyclist I think you might as well go for the geared option as that will allow you ride both.

But if you haven't ridden two wheels before take your time. The initial learning on the bicycle can seem like is never going right but please believe me you will be able to do it. Never yet had a failure from non cyclists learning.
Spend a good time on the bicycle, maybe consider the e-bike option (can be expensive though)

There are a lot of auto bikes in Asia and even the "pizza delivery" style stuff is considered as an auto here in the UK. They do have gears but no clutch. Things like the Honda Dream, known as the Wave here.
Twist and go (auto) are really easy to master and not too powerful. Just depends what you want. If it's just CBT and then ride a 110cc bike like the Vision would do well but you can't do your test on it. Got to be a 125cc bike for that.

What part of the UK are you in?

Hi I am in London.

Vincent Law
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:51 - 14 Feb 2017    Post subject: Re: Hi Auto or Manuel Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Que? Shocked

C. K. Watt.

OP, don't sweat it. Do what best constitutes your happiness without reference to us, or to anyone so unconnected with you.

It's a smart move to do a bit of pedalling before doing the CBT, but remember that it's Compulsory Basic Training. It's not pass/fail, you're paying for a service, and for an experience.

Don't hang around, do the CBT as soon as you feel you'll enjoy it. And don't worry about what you do it on. In the UK, it doesn't matter - geared or manual qualifies you for further riding or training. Outside the UK, it doesn't matter - neither qualifies you for riding.

Less thinky, more ridey, it's all good.

Thanks. I'm going to be cutting down on traveling and focusing on learning.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:27 - 14 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vincent Law wrote:
Hi I am in London.

I'm so sorry. Is there anything we can do?

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:30 - 14 Feb 2017    Post subject: Re: Hi Auto or Manuel Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Vincent Law wrote:
But seems looking/reading on the forum everyone seems to be riding Manuel.

Que? Shocked

https://www.carehome.co.uk/article_photos/largephotos/1580366.jpg

Laughing Laughing Laughing

SuperMike
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 00:59 - 15 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

100% Manual, or Manuel senior. Are you needing stabilisers bad on a bike? How good are you generally at learning things? I would just get on with it and do the CBT already. What is wobbling around on a push bike going to give you that wobbling around on a 50cc won't? A scooter or moped isn't a huge weight, and unless you are a total spacker you will likely pick it up pretty quick. Twist right hand to go, squeeze one of the levers to stop, don't fall over.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 01:25 - 15 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperMike wrote:
What is wobbling around on a push bike going to give you that wobbling around on a 50cc won't?

srsly? Laughing

If someone can't ride a pushbike then any attempts to ride a motorbike aren't going to end well. Wink

SuperMike
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 23:53 - 17 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go quicker on my push bike than a 50cc scooter regularly. I rode 100 miles last year at an average speed of 24 mph which isn't far behind where you'd be on your hairdryer... Suck it up and get on with it. You either have bikes in your blood or you don't. Riding a bike isn't going to solve anything.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:53 - 18 Feb 2017    Post subject: Re: Hi Auto or Manuel Reply with quote

Vincent Law wrote:
My plan was to learn on a automatic/scooter since I tend to travel a lot to SE Asian and scooters tend to be the ride of choice over there. But seems looking/reading on the forum everyone seems to be riding Manual.

Firstly, why would you limit yourself to auto only. If your travelling around and the option of a slightly larger bike comes up for the same money you'd want to be in a position to consider it.

Secondly, Although it's unlikely the police there will pick up on it, a provisional licence isn't adequate to ride a bike legally in most countries there. If you do get a knowledgeable policeman stopping you then you could be on the wrong end of a large fine+. So you need to speak to a training school about the 'full licence' options.

Finally, you're doing the right thing to learn here instead of there, as they have a very different attitude to road-craft there so you'll need your concentration 100% on the road and other traffic instead of the actual mechanics of riding.
However don't be a twat and ride without a bash hat and eye protection. As a tourist you'll be the one the police stop to get their fines from, not the locals. A bandana or head covering of some sort may stop he helmet becoming a sweat bucket. It's really easy to damage your eyes if you don't wear glasses/sunglasses, so don't risk it.
Make sure your travel insurance covers you for riding and check if it has a cc limitation. In some places their hospitals are really cheap, but travelling with a broken ankle can never be cheap enough...

Vincent Law
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:54 - 04 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay had some push bike training last month. Got the hang of it. Just booked a cbt on manual gear for the end of the month.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:57 - 04 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://m.quickmeme.com/img/c4/c44669c238211f59df43ac61aafe8ce384cdeb0b1cc137872db03bd1376d883f.jpg

But manual all the way.

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:36 - 04 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most cars are available with both manual and automatic gearboxes. Bikes are not. I can only think of three bikes off the top of my head (and one is technically a scooter) that have automatic transmission.

rhys99
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:10 - 04 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vincent Law wrote:
Okay had some push bike training last month. Got the hang of it. Just booked a cbt on manual gear for the end of the month.
you're 32 years of age and can't ride a pedal bike? why?
21:16:02 Fin: I got a girl to believe I have a huge dick today, she's going to be so disappointed
K̶5̶ ̶S̶V̶6̶5̶0̶S̶ K3 SV650N

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:24 - 04 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

dydey90 wrote:
Most cars are available with both manual and automatic gearboxes. Bikes are not. I can only think of three bikes off the top of my head (and one is technically a scooter) that have automatic transmission.

Fjr 1300ae

Honda cb400a

Some random chinky 125_ thing

Vfr now do one

Honda CBx 1300 (I think) also. Also may be an 800

Vincent Law
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:47 - 04 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

rhys99 wrote:
Vincent Law wrote:
you're 32 years of age and can't ride a pedal bike? why?

I can now lol
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 46 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1