Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

50cc geared bike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Loulou
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:01 - 14 Feb 2017    Post subject: 50cc geared bike Reply with quote

Thanks for all the comments did nobody start out on a 50 to get practice? I know you all are experienced but just think back when you started out. Everyone must have been nervous at some point.

Last edited by Loulou on 22:36 - 14 Feb 2017; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:09 - 14 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shall leave this one to Tef.

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:33 - 14 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you have the muscle tone of someone with end stage terminal diseases, why not go for a 125?

Pour Examplé: The Aprilia RS50 is approx 90kg, the Honda CG is around 115kg.
Neither of them are huge either.

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:37 - 14 Feb 2017    Post subject: Re: 50cc geared bike Reply with quote

If you got car entitlement before 1 February 2001 then you can ride a moped indefinitely without a CBT, or your reproductive organs.

Loulou wrote:
I did first part of cbt but felt too vulnerable to go out on road next day.

Go back. Rested, and with some time for it to sink in, you'll feel much more confident.

Remember that it's training, not a test. You can't fail it. If you're not ready to do the on-road part of the CBT, then you're not ready to wobble around in the gutter on some dangerously underpowered hair-dryer. It's a complete and utter waste of money and, more importantly, time.

Loulou
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:41 - 14 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commuter_Tim wrote:
Unless you have the muscle tone of someone with end stage terminal diseases, why not go for a 125?

I would need to have the cbt paper for the 125 and I don't have that. It's to gain confidence and practice biking is totally new to me. Thanks.

Loulou
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:56 - 14 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commuter_Tim wrote:

I would need to have the cbt paper for the 125 and I don't have that. It's to gain confidence and practice biking is totally new to me. Thanks.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:01 - 14 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loulou wrote:
Commuter_Tim wrote:

This is going to sound harsh but it isn't intended to be. You might find folk here can be a bit 'direct' with their answers but the advice is generally good and there is a lot of experience here.

My opinion:
A 50 won't help you. Really. I ride a 125 regularly and enjoy it as much as my larger bikes. 50s are so underpowered as to be dangerous IMO.

If you're not ready to ride a 125 on the road then you are not ready to ride a 50 on the road either. The skills are same and the bike won't be any easier to ride because it is smaller. In fact I suspect a geared 125 might actually be easier than a 50.

You would be better getting more training with an instructor. Wobbling about making the same mistakes on your own won't do anything for your confidence. Try a different instructor if the first one wasn't able to help you.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:10 - 14 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://thumbsnap.com/s/eJdsqIcS.jpg

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:14 - 14 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

meggark wrote:
If you're not ready to ride a 125 on the road then you are not ready to ride a 50 on the road either. The skills are same and the bike won't be any easier to ride because it is smaller. In fact I suspect a geared 125 might actually be easier than a 50.

He's right.

A 50 will put you into more dangerous positions, traffic is more likely to make risky passes to get past you, you probably can't ride defensively.

A 125 will at least alleviate that bit between 30 and 50 where a 50cc, geared or not, is fucking lethal, and size is largely the same. I'd suspect that a 50cc would put you off, rather than give you any confidence.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 01:50 - 15 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:

You called?
Loulou wrote:
Thanks for all the comments did nobody start out on a 50 to get practice? I know you all are experienced but just think back when you started out.

Err.. yeah..... I started out on a 50... but I was seven at the time.. and flares were still in fashion.... the first time! it WAS rather a long time to think back to... however
Loulou wrote:
Everyone must have been nervous at some point.

Yeah.. and any-one who still doesn't is a liar or a fool... but.. silly story time... are you sitting comfortably?

Seven years old, started out on a mini-bike, which I promptly crashed... got back on... did it again!!! This was of course in a field, which was conveniently reasonably soft, and at seven, I was young dumb and numb.. so don't recall it hurting much..

Although... I DO recall quite vividly the revelation of the sensitivity of the dangly bits between my legs, that had never bothered me until then, and I slid into a fence, with one foot trying to go over, one under, and coming to an abrupt stop when the bits in between, yelled, "Where do WE go?!".....

OhKay.. into adolescence; un-indulged, I wanted desperately to do school-boy-scrambles... so worked every weekend and odd-job to save up to buy a bike, and go 'race' it. during that time, I acquired a pedal & pop I hacked about the fields, and a few other fixer uppers to mess with, and discovered 'trials', which I did on 'youth club' bikes, until eventually at age 14, reading the ACU rule book, I discovered a loop-hole that said I could ride an 'adult' bike, in 'adult' class, from the start of the 'season' in which I turned 16... so at 15, bought a 250 'comper' and went trialzin on it.

In the mean-time, I had, among the fixer-uppers and others, learned gears, and been hacking about ever bigger off-roaders on the rough, mostly 250's, 350's and 500's.... aged 16, when my school-mates started getting exited that they could get a 'motorbike' and bringing in brochures for ER50's and the like... the 'excitement' they engendered was rapidly replaced by disappointment, when I was introduced to one in the actual metal outside local chippy.....

That dissolution was only increased, by said mates who discovering I fixed up old bikes and 'raced' them, proudly wheeled round these ride on strimmers expecting, or possibly just hoping, I could either 'de-restrict' them and make them as fast as Nigel the postman's Nine-Undred... or fix them when they didn't work at all, which was all too common, with nowt but a toffee wrapper and good wishes....

My teenage id, quickly rejected such 'childish' toys, as too demeaning, if not too much trouble to bother with... though, as 'all' I could legally have, I did 'flirt' with the notion...

The notion, inspired by the trials club, was, to wait until I was 17, and even then, when mates were starting to get 125's, skip even that, 'come-down', do some lessons on the road, with the bike-cops that offered them and shared shedspace with the trials club, borrow a bike to do tests on, get a full licence and skip 'tiddlers' altogether... a notion that was encouraged, at 16, by the appearance of a just 4-year old Honda CBX550, 'fixer-upper' in the work-shop, that had snapped it's cam chain days after it's first MOT....

However, in the meantime.... I had fixed up an old RD250, and flogging that on, I was offered a Yamaha DT50 in px.... it was an absolute wreck; but it was closely related to the TY50 & TY80 trials bikes I had started out with at club, and offered cheap bus-fare beating wheels to college.. and my pushbike had been nicked from the train station... so I thought I'd give it a go for the lols....

Proved an even greater wreck when I started unbolting bits, than it even looked when it turned up... and took somewhat longer to 'fix up' than had been anticipated.. while I waited for a mate to weld up the frame, and pondered bits of domestic plumbing that had been used to 'fix' the exhaust system! I eventually got it road-legal, about two months after my 17th birthday, by which time I had, due to parental 'encouragement' taken car driving lessons and passed car test, so actually had a full licence, with entitlement for the damn thing, and didn't have to ride it on L-Plates!

SO.. we get to the point... sat on the drive, for the first time, on a fully road legal bike, I was fully legal to ride... which I had a full licence for....

And I sat there, and I looked up the road, and I looked down the road, and.. and.. I stayed exactly where I was....

NERVES had kicked in!!!

I think, with hindsight, that 'some' of it, was that I had been given a full-face crash hat, which I was utterly unaccustomed to... I was used to an open, or none at all.. trials regs at the time not actually requiring them... and was somewhat 'phased' by looking through a letterbox, and so not sure, after I'd looked up the road, whether anything had jumped into the bit of view masked by the hat, whilst I looked t'other way....

B-U-T... I sat there, 'dithering' long enough for my gran to come out and ask me what the heck I was prannying at, and why wasn't I tearing off up the road.... "Like you normally do!".... fact that it was a 50, and the notion it could tear the skin off a rice pudding... and I was normally 'tearing' off on something five or ten times the displacement might have been some answer... B-UT.. no real one WAS shear 'nerves'....

I COULD ride a bike... absolutely no question about that. I had been doing it almost as long as I had been walking, and for half as long, ones with both gears and a LOT more cubes in their engines... more, I could ride the darn things up hills mountain goats would fear to tread, along planks balanced on oil barrels, over scrap cars, through skips, you name it... B-U-T... this was a ROAD!!! There was other traffic! Not obligingly staying still, whilst I tackled stuff! AND I didn't have a box about me like I did in the car!

So, yeah... we have ALL had 'nerves', and like I say, them who deny it are liars or fools...

Thirty years on, and I STILL get them 'pangs' when I clamber on the bike, and head out onto the street.... and I was a ruddy instructor for gawds sake! B-U-T.. that is your survival instincts kicking in... FEAR is there for a reason... its to tell you to stop and think, and not jump into danger.... and its a VERY healthy reaction to have... them that say 'face your fears beat your fears!' are to my mind not helping... RESPECT your fears... take the warning, you are about to do something a little bit 'dangerous' that demands a bit of thought first... how dangerous? where are the real dangers? AM I 'in control'.. and can I do this SAFELY... allay the 'nerves' by answering them, NOT ignoring them, check, double check and put fears in proportion, not out of mind.

SO.. for where you are at... CBT, Compulsary Basic Training... the 'T' is for TRAINING, not 'test'... and the point of the course is to TRAIN you, to arm you with the knowledge to answer your fears, put them in proportion, and give you the skills to get on and do, without 'so' much 'worry'... if you don't worry... that is a worry!

So lodge that idea in your head from the start.. nerves are 'useful'.. but, riding a motorbike is all about 'control', and that means you have to take charge, and NOT let fear, or excitement rule reason.

Revin'Kevin, all exited and eager, deturmined to feed that 'red-mist' by cracking the taps and going for it.. is an accident looking for somewhere to happen, they are NOT in control, thier exitement is... pretty obviouse one that... BUT Nervouse Nancy.. scared and paranoid, worried about anything and everything, is JUST as much an accident looking for a place to happen, looking for dangers, they will likely find them, and do the wrong thing, as they dont interpret those dangers correctly, and sure as eggs will react inappropriately to them.

Biking is ALL about 'balence', and not just avoiding falling over... in the saddle you are in the middle of a host of competing forces, pushing you along, holding you up, making you steer, and lean... and not falling over is a matter of keeping those competing forces in balance and not letting one get too big for its boots.... B-U-T same applies to everything else.. and fear and excitement are two less obvious competing forces that need to be kept in balance and not allowed to tip you over....

AND we get to the crux... learning to keep it all in balance, getting fears in proportion, keeping excitement in proportion, wont come 'easily' trying to go it alone, without anything to put those fears or exitement into place.... you need a reference, you need some external 'datum'.. and you need some LEARNING.. which you get from lessons...

And THAT is what CBT is, a lesson! T for training, NOT test!

There is a lot to take in on a course; and they will often hurry folk through, as it ISN'T supposed to be more than an introduction, a FIRST lesson.... so it can seem daunting, BUT....

If you don't complete CBT to get the 'Learners Permit'.. its not a test remember, it doesn't endow you with a licence, it is JUST a first lesson, and gives you the permit to go practice for the real tests.. not avoid them.....

So, IF you don't even get that far, and get the learner's permit for it.. trying to dodge that, as well as tests, and go it alone on L's REALLY is missing the 'lesson'.

And taking to the road, on a 50... because you can? To get 'practice'? When you dont even meet the incredibly basic level of competance demanded to complete CBT?

THINK about that.. it REALLY isn't a particularly wonderful recipe to get the knowhow to put fears and exitement into order, is it? All you are likely to do, is give yourself ever more fears every time you look at the bike and think to go practice, and either you will supress them, and learn to habitually ignore your survival instincts... OR you will carry on scaring yourself, digging yourself further and further into the 'too scary' trap, NOT doing, NOT riding, not wanting to ride, going nowhere fast....

You are, I think looking up a blind alley, at the problem you have.... in which a 50 ISN'T any sort of useful tool, let alone answer.... more TRAINING is.... possibly better training, but that is another matter...

So, 50's, yeah.. I did it in my time... but on a full licence!!! They have very little merit, other than for 16 year-olds who cant have anything else.... and even there, a fit kid on a push bike can go as far and as fast and not have to pay for tax or insurance or ANY petrol! And will usually be saved from be so daft by the fact that a push bike has no number-plate and they don't expect to use it like vehicles that do, and take it up the duel carriageway, or do 60 down the country lanes, where there's audicochs trying to do 20 per more, and shoving anything in their way into the hedge rows!

Cubic capacity of a motorcycle is just the size of hole in the engine where fire happens. The 'danger' riding one is outside that, on the roads and more, in the saddle, and how big that fire hole is, wont change that... a smaller engine will NOT make dangers any smaller.. may make fears smaller... but that brings us back round, to the reality gap, and NOT tackling them fears with reason, but pandering to them with feelings, re-enforcing the inbalence, not getting it in check.

So, yeah.. I have done the fifty 'thing'. I don't think they are in any way 'useful' to the problem you seem to have.

If you have struggled with CBT.. look at that 'problem' and how to address it, not avoid it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 02:12 - 15 Feb 2017    Post subject: Re: 50cc geared bike Reply with quote

Loulou wrote:
Hi there I want to gain confidence and practice on a decent 50cc geared bike before doing my cbt on the road. I passed my driving test years ago but have never rode a motorbike before. I did first part of cbt but felt too vulnerable to go out on road next day. I don't want to give up because of nerves so any recommendations on a 50cc would be much appreciated. Thanks.

You don't need to practise before doing your CBT.

You say you felt too vulnerable to go out on the road riding part of the CBT, if you go out on your own on a 50cc to "practise" then you'll be a lot more vulnerable so don't do that. You'll be safer riding with the CBT instructor as he'll be on a big bike and won't let impatient cars / vans / lorries try to bully you.

A 50cc ped is much more vulnerable than a 125cc bike simply because of the slowness. On a 125 you'll be able to keep up with traffic better so you won't have pissed off people wanting to overtake you because of how slow you're going.

Go back to the CBT place, get going on a 125cc bike and forget about the idea of wobbling around on a 50cc.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:16 - 15 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

cant work this one out

you don't think you are ready to ride on a road with an instructor on a bike that can keep up with most traffic

but you want to go out on your own on a bike that struggles in a 30mph limit Shocked Shocked

I started on a 50 but I still did a cbt and had the instruction to follow so I didn't end up as a statistic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:37 - 15 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll be changing gears far too often on a geared 50 anyway. When you consider some big bikes will do over 100
in first gear, you'll see why a tinny 50 will take two gear changes to get to jogging pace. 125's aren't much better
but they are better, at least you can get away from the lights quickly even if progress after 50mph is slow.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:01 - 15 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What were the reasons you didn't feel comfortable? Perhaps we can give you some more targeted advice on how to proceed.

Clutch control on a 50 will be more difficult as it will be easier to stall due to lack of torque. For the same reason you will be changing gear constantly. This is why most are automatic. They are limited to 31mph-ish (legally without cbt and if you have an old car license) and so you WILL be bullied by other traffic.

125s (like the cg) are generally not much heavier but that little extra weight makes them more stable and actually easier and less twitchy to ride. The extra power means you can keep up with traffic and are less likely to be bullied. Clutch and gear control is easier too. Incidentally the same is true when comparing the likes of a 500 to a 125. It's also likely to be much less unpleasant in adverse weather.

I like riding my 125 but the 650 feels safer and is safer. I enjoy the 125 more now that I have experience than I did when I was new because it actually is more work ride it effectively than the bigger bike. That's why I enjoy it actually because it's more engaging and feels like I'm racing about on my commute when doing the same on the 650 is very relaxed.

I really don't think a 50 would help you, if anything it'll make your situation worse. There really is nothing easier or safer about them.

They do work well in Europe but that's because many European countries have very good cycle networks which the mopeds share or the roads around the cities are very slow moving.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:06 - 15 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gone ahead and rated Tef's post as Helpful. No rational reason, I just have a good feeling about this one.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:12 - 15 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:

Teffers wrote:
Tef's rhetoric

Boom!

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:25 - 15 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rode around on a 50cc scooter for a number of years. Fine(ish) if you're just pootling around in 30 zones all the time, but you really DO feel vulnerable once you start riding in 40+ areas, which is why I made the switch to a 125 recently

Learner legal geared 50's sound like more trouble than they're worth. 5 gear changes just to get you to 30mph isn't going to be fun!

davethekwak
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:30 - 15 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did start out on a 50cc but that was in 76 and at 16 that was all I could ride. Back then thought the 2 stroke 50cc was as quick if not quicker than current learner legal 125cc.

We need to know exactly what you are not confident about regarding riding a bike regardless of size.

Holdawayt
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:43 - 15 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only ever ridden a 50cc once and it was a monkey bike. Even that felt ridiculously slow. How on earth someone could ride a full sized bike with that little power is beyond me.

125cc bikes are really slow, you can be harsh with your inputs and not much will happen. Sounds like you need to get over the mental block that's making you scared of bikes before you dream of taking it any further.

I started out on a Honda C90 (90cc) when I was 5. Too young to be scared and I've naturally progressed onto bigger bikes from there.

Seriously, avoid the 50, do your CBT on a 125 with trained professionals and you'll be fine.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:29 - 15 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rode my daughters 50cc Gilera. I was petrified. Whoever came up with the 30mph limit should be fucked with a very blunt object and then done for attempted murder of every moped rider.

Get a 125. Thumbs Up

Azoth
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:37 - 15 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mopeds limited to 30mph were a good idea in the old days, when the roads were much less crowded. They still have a couple of advantages over pushbikes: indicators, brake lights, etc. They're going to be around for a very long time, as they are the primary mode of transport for many millions in the developing world. In the UK, they should probably be left as a recourse for DUI convicts, as in the USA. There, a court can revoke your licence temporarily or indefinitely, but you can still ride a 30mph moped as they don't require a licence. An indefinite driving ban for serious driving offences should be on the statute book here as well, and we may note that banned drivers always risk driving or riding, on the pretext that they want to go to the shops or to a place of work. If they were able to use mopeds without a licence, it would make things easier and safer for everyone, and driving bans would be more effective.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:45 - 15 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of the danger from mopeds is down to the riders riding in the gutter almost inviting people to overtake them when there's not enough space.

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:56 - 15 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rufous wrote:
If they were able to use mopeds without a licence, it would make things easier and safer for everyone

This logic is seriously twisted.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:56 - 15 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
A lot of the danger from mopeds is down to the riders riding in the gutter almost inviting people to overtake them when there's not enough space.

Agreed. The fact that a lot of moped riders are inexperienced and nervous means they think riding in the gutter is helpful as it stops cars being held up, encouraging bullying from car drivers.

45mph would make a whole world of difference.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:02 - 15 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then moped riders would argue that 50mph is safer than 45mph. Razz

People can manage cycling on main roads and dual carriageways so it should be quite possible for ped riders to manage.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 71 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2