Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Euro Car Parks- to pay or not to pay?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Flemy
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:25 - 15 Feb 2017    Post subject: Euro Car Parks- to pay or not to pay? Reply with quote

Parked in a pay and display twice, thought I'd save myself 80p on each occasion and thanks to the wonder of ANPR, I have recieved two very serious looking letters.

I owe them £100 (x2) or can pay £60 (x2) within 14 days. Then there's loads of other threatening shite about how they're friends with DVLA and all the other usual crap.

So, bcfers do I pay these mofo's, tell them to sling it or totally blank the letters and carry on with my boring and unfulfilled life?

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:01 - 15 Feb 2017    Post subject: Re: Euro Car Parks- to pay or not to pay? Reply with quote

Flemy wrote:
do I pay these mofo's, tell them to sling it or totally blank the letters and carry on with my boring and unfulfilled life?

There's some good advice on your situation here:
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/private-parking-tickets

Your problem is that if you do decide to ignore them, the amount due keeps on going up; ultimately they'll threaten you with a court summons (which will come with more costs), and if they do decide to sue, and win, you'll be a helluva lot more out of pocket than if you just take the hit and pay £120 now. But they may not bother, I dunno. Your call!

Poecilotheria
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:15 - 15 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would take it up with citizens advice or something, that does not seem right. I parked all the time in E.C.P at least 4 times a week for many years without getting any notice. I parked not in a bay but just beside them next to a wall.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:39 - 15 Feb 2017    Post subject: Re: Euro Car Parks- to pay or not to pay? Reply with quote

Flemy wrote:
Parked in a pay and display twice, thought I'd save myself 80p on each occasion and thanks to the wonder of ANPR, I have recieved two very serious looking letters.

So just what do the signs say.....

Oh please tell us you DID READ them....

Flemy
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:45 - 15 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motorcycles and blue badge holders are still required to pay parking fee. Checked it today

I might just ignore it and see what happens... Anyone know of anybody who has actually been taken to court over a parking fine from a private firm?

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:53 - 15 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flemy wrote:

I might just ignore it and see what happens... Anyone know of anybody who has actually been taken to court over a parking fine from a private firm?

Loads of people have.

https://www.parkingcowboys.co.uk/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:00 - 15 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parking Cowboys have got a nice long t&c page. Laughing

An alternative is: https://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showforum=60

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:14 - 15 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flemy wrote:
I might just ignore it and see what happens...

This is no longer a smart move.

Fite. You've been given the links to places that will help. You have to put the work in yourself though. Ignore it for long enough and you could end up with your back door smashed in and/or a CCJ against you.

SophR so good
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:37 - 15 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you have mitigating circumstances, pay. They're getting wise to the small sign excuses and will take folk to court now.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:05 - 15 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend ended up with bailiffs at his door over unpaid parking fines.

Flemy
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:16 - 15 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Ignore it for long enough and you could end up with your back door smashed in and/or a CCJ against you.

Nah, they can't force entry, it'll just be a massive inconvenience with the letters and suited monkeys Daz and Terry shouting through my letterbox.

I might see if they will let me pay for the one and I'll plead ignorance.
This sort of crap always happens when I'm at my skintest

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:12 - 16 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then fight it on as many fronts as you can via the correct channels - that at least defers it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:05 - 16 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flemy wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:
Ignore it for long enough and you could end up with your back door smashed in and/or a CCJ against you.

Nah, they can't force entry, it'll just be a massive inconvenience with the letters and suited monkeys Daz and Terry shouting through my letterbox.

Some metaphorical hyperbole may have been used. Please be aware that some parking goons are now quite happy taking claims to court, since most people fold at that point, or don't show up and they get a default judgement.

Since you haven't bothered telling us any details, I don't know whether that's likely to happen in your case. It's also a good sign that you probably will ignore it until you get a CCJ against you.

I'm not judging, I'm saying that ignoring the blackmail demands and hoping they go away is no longer the smart option, and hasn't been for over 4 years. Its entirely up to you whether you choose to act in your own interest.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:19 - 16 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
skintest

*most skint

suburban myth
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 11:49 - 16 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have shelled out the 80p, because I'm stupidly honest.I wouldn't be having a headache now.

Smart money says pay it, but at least ring and grovel to see if they'll waive one of them (not likely). Euro Car parks are no cowboy trader. They're a massive company with a legal department much bigger than yours, and if they issue Court proceedings, better buy a big pot of petroleum jelly.

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 13:56 - 16 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

suburban myth wrote:
I'd have shelled out the 80p, because I'm stupidly honest.I wouldn't be having a headache now.

Smart money says pay it, but at least ring and grovel to see if they'll waive one of them (not likely). Euro Car parks are no cowboy trader. They're a massive company with a legal department much bigger than yours, and if they issue Court proceedings, better buy a big pot of petroleum jelly.

I would pay the 80p/£1.60, not out of any honesty - just to keep these jokers from having any further impact on my life.

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:02 - 16 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing really to do with your thread but.....

Went to Broadgreen hospital few weeks ago (on my bike) parked it in the multi story car park got a ticket thingy an went to appointment.

On the way out, parking dude came over an said - don't bother paying the ticket, we arnt setup to park bikes so cant charge you?!

He opened the barrier an off i went - very bizarre

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:02 - 16 Feb 2017    Post subject: re Reply with quote

I fought my PCN from Westminster and won it due to being a first-time offender and their "gesture of goodwill", perhaps you could try the same?

6r4h4m
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 15:09 - 16 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any possibility the ANPR mis-read another plate, and it wasnt yours at all? Or is there a photo of your vehicle?

Stalk
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:07 - 16 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, did you park and knowingly not pay?
Where you aware that the car park company would impose sanctions for non payment?
If you can answer yes to both of the above questions, why are you complaining?

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:31 - 16 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess he thought as it was a bike he did not have to pay (ALWAYS CHECK THE SIGN'S. AS SOME CAR PARKS DO NOT ALLOW BIKE'S IN, EVEN IF YOU PAY & DISPLAY) and simply walked off.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:39 - 16 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mudcow007 wrote:
Nothing really to do with your thread but.....

Went to Broadgreen hospital few weeks ago (on my bike) parked it in the multi story car park got a ticket thingy an went to appointment.

On the way out, parking dude came over an said - don't bother paying the ticket, we arnt setup to park bikes so cant charge you?!

He opened the barrier an off i went - very bizarre

Some car parks don't charge you, they just expect you to leave the bike somewhere out the way (which's fair enough). Some don't let you in at all, which's raciss innit!

Joncrete Cungle
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:56 - 16 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://parking-prankster.blogspot.co.uk/

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:24 - 16 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

iooi wrote:
My guess he thought as it was a bike he did not have to pay

Flemy wrote:
Parked in a pay and display twice, thought I'd save myself 80p on each occasion

No. He thought that he'd get away with it. Being unwilling to pay £1.60 has cost him £120.

There are plenty of ways to challenge it, but that would require putting in more than £1.60 worth of effort.

Analogkid
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:16 - 16 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parking on someone else's property and not paying the measly 80p, sorry but you deserve all you get, I hope you leave it long enough for them to go to court.

The rules and the court system is there to help with genuine mistakes, poor signage and being punitively charged when you return later than planned, you just decided you didn't need to pay like everyone else, made me laugh though to save 80p (how many other times did you do it and not get caught) cost you £60, twice! made my day. Very Happy
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 63 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2