Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Shouldn't have done that...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

F1.ash
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:53 - 16 Feb 2017    Post subject: Shouldn't have done that... Reply with quote

...sat on a Ducati Monster 796.
Now having trouble getting my head to rule my heart Razz As it'll be my first bike after DAS in a few weeks.

I know an SV or similar is the 'right' thing to buy but the fit and feel of this was outstanding for me at 6' 1" with a 32 inseam. It was 'just right', compact and even I could notice that the weight was low down. It felt awesome. Price was great too at just over £5k also maybe not ideal for a first bike.
https://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k438/flashp/IMG_20170214_145812_zpsnosz3jp7.jpg
Not sure what the foibles are with these but I've not seen or sat on anything that pushes so many buttons Wub

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:07 - 16 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You only live once, go for it. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:11 - 16 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do like the pretence at a rear seat.

Are you supposed to stick velcro to it so that your passenger is held on by the pubes?

F1.ash
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 20:14 - 16 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_Pagin wrote:
You only live once, go for it. Thumbs Up

I'm so close to saying stuff it. I've read they're not totally out of the question for a new rider, not withstanding all the sensible advice I've read here in the recent past.

This bike affects the gentlemen's area. Shocked

F1.ash
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 20:15 - 16 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Are you supposed to stick velcro to it so that your passenger is held on by the pubes?

My wife won't go near a bike so that's perfect as well Razz

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:25 - 16 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you want it?

Can you afford it?

Yes?

Then you know what you must do.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:40 - 16 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've nearly always let my heart rule over my head when it comes to bikes, and although some weren't ideal for my needs (an RG500 didn't make a great motorway commuter Doh! Rolling Eyes Laughing ), I'm glad I did with all of them. Well, apart from one Ho*da, but that wasn't a heart thing anyway. As Mr. Hans says, if you can afford it, I'd go with the heart.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:58 - 16 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

F1.ash wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

My wife won't go near a bike so that's perfect as well Razz

I'm sure that Mrs Nobby would like to try getting on it but she'll just slide straight off the back....

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:14 - 16 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gizza go, mister.

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:37 - 16 Feb 2017    Post subject: Re: Shouldn't have done that... Reply with quote

F1.ash wrote:

Not sure what the foibles are with these but I've not seen or sat on anything that pushes so many buttons Wub

Why would it not make an excellent first bike?

If you are worried about dropping it and the damage, then, well its possible.

If you are thinking about the power. Don't. It's 87bhp, a very useful and not scary amount. It's only 12bhp more than a new SV650.

Just remember to get some security devices. And pay attention to putting the kickstand up/down.

Other than that, crack on!

F1.ash
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 00:44 - 17 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

All positive comments, thank you all!
I believe that I know what to do now... Very Happy

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:18 - 17 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Er6f has 74bhp in the current guise, plenty buying those as first big bike. Another 13bhp won't be huge leap from that
but still totally manageable. For the record, I never dropped my first big bike and I had plenty of opportunities to do
so just getting it out of my raised shed. It's replacement is a bigger engined but approximately same weighted
bike, there are lots of bigger bikes I'd quite like to own but until I have flat access to storage I'd say 200kg is about my max.
I also have a very narrow part of its route to the shed, so a narrow bike also suits me. Just saying to also consider your
storage situation before you pull the trigger, mines a pain in the butt so I have to bear that foremost in mind when buiying.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:42 - 17 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dropped mine twice. On both occassions because I used a disc lock without a minder cable. Don't do that. It's stupid.

Nice bike, I see no reason why it couldn't be a first if you can afford it. As long as you're not so scared of damaging it that you wobble around vertically all the time instead of actually enjoying it. Just insure it well.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:22 - 18 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all comes down to what you 1) want, 2) need and 3) finance.

At the moment 'Want' is No1.
After 6 months it may change.

Provided you're prepared for the repair bill when you drop it moving around the driveway or on a gravel car park (as opposed to throwing it down the road) then an expensive new'ish bike is an option
Make no mistake, you are much more likely to drop a bike in the first year or so, and many of us still do it after many many years of experience.

Personally I'd suggest a sub £2k bike and a review in 12months or so, but as you're not too worried about the money then it's your choice.

Azoth
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:23 - 18 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks nice, but before you buy it, make sure that those handlebars aren't influencing your decision. From the photo, they look like they're set to position macho, rotated forward, and that you might want to adjust them for comfort after riding the bike a while or just for long journeys. In that case, the bike might feel less exciting. Consumer decisions are never rational, and few bike manufacturers understand that as well as Ducati. No reason to steer clear, but be wary of cheap tricks anyway.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:03 - 18 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpineandy wrote:

Provided you're prepared for the repair bill when you drop it moving around the driveway or on a gravel car park (as opposed to throwing it down the road) then an expensive new'ish bike is an option
Make no mistake, you are much more likely to drop a bike in the first year or so, and many of us still do it after many many years of experience.

What is all this "when you drop it" shite? Do people seriously allow this kind of consideration sway their choice of bike? I have only ever once dropped a bike at a standstill in over 30 years of biking, and that was down to a senior moment. Nor did I ever drop a bike when I was wheeling dozens of the things in and out of various showrooms when I worked at bike dealerships. As a teenager, I was trusted to move around brand new Laverda Jotas, Ducatis, Guzzis - these were some of the most expensive bikes of their day. I never even bashed one against another when getting them lined up closely in the showrooms.

Going from a CB100 to a Kwak 750 turbo after I passed my test, dropping the bike didn't even occur to me, and I never did with that one. Nor do I steer clear of anything nice cos I might crash. If you want a bike, then go out and bloody buy it. Enjoy it, and if you do drop it, figure out why you did, and try not to get in that situation again. But for gawd's sake, don't let it influence your decision of what bike to buy!
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:32 - 18 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
What is all this "when you drop it" shite? Do people seriously allow this kind of consideration sway their choice of bike? I have only ever once dropped a bike at a standstill in over 30 years of biking,!

It depends if you're working on the assumption that you can get back a certain portion of the money spent if necessary (obviously no one plans for a serious knock), but yes lots of people do consider this type of damage costs when getting a bike, especially with their first one.

As for dropping a bike, I guess you're one of the lucky or specially talented ones.
Most of us have dropped a bike at least once.
I certainly did at least half a dozen times in the first 2 years but then in 30 odd years maybe 3 times.
Last time last September...

I know guys who have said 'you're not a biker until you've dropped it a couple of times'... But that's bull...

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:05 - 18 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should add that if I had to do my licence now, moving from a 125 to a 600+ and considering a new'ish bike then it would be a big part of the decision, but less so if I was under 30...
As it happened, I didn't have that problem at the time and could only afford cheap 250-500cc bikes.
As for dropping them, I'd guess one of the reasons I've done it less as I've got older is that I ride to Pubs much less often, combined with more pub car parks being tarmac'd rather than gravel, which is what usually causes me the problem. The Wellington at High beach caught me out twice, both times when my foot slid away from me...
I've only dropped it once in the garage, very early with a 250 Super Dream... And a VFR on some mud next to a different garage many years later. All the others were gravel car parks...

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:17 - 18 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta be lack of care? I can't remember the last time I even felt close to dropping one, apart from that one instance I mentioned. Or maybe I am one of the "specially talented" ones? Laughing

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:35 - 18 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Gotta be lack of care?

Lack of concentration.
Every car park one is talking with someone or thinking about something else, engine off. Usually sitting on the bike but a couple of times just wheeling it back/out of a corner.
As soon as the motor is started, the concentration is back...

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:56 - 19 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

not seeing the problem,

the throttle is not an on/off switch, it'll only go as fast as you tell it to.

Steady away for the first couple of rides while you get used to it, as you would any bike you'd not ridden before and you should be fine.

may be worth considering some crash bungs to try and limit any damage if it does find its way onto it's side at some point.

I went from a 125cc to a zzr600 which puts out more horses than the Ducatti you're looking at, only issue I had was on the second ride I steadily opened it up on a bit of dual carriageway, looked at the speedo and realised I was going 'a bit quick' - that's the main thing to keep an eye on if coming from a 125cc, it'll reach speed a lot quicker and smoother.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 10:56 - 19 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Gotta be lack of care? I can't remember the last time I even felt close to dropping one, apart from that one instance I mentioned. Or maybe I am one of the "specially talented" ones? Laughing

I admit, throwing a bike into a hedge 'with prejudice' isn't the same as dropping one.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:08 - 19 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should like the monster given what I ride but there's something not right for me about the seated position that I can't quite put my finger on.
Buy it though, seriously. Thumbs Up

Daz1245
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 11:32 - 19 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say go for it, it's a nice bike and don't worry about dropping it, i passed my das 2 years ago and I've never dropped my bike, I've been riding motorcycles for 29 years and I'm 33 and only dropped a bike once and that was with my brand new cagiva mito back in 2002, I've got a 24 year old bike at mo and never dropped it but wish I borght a newer bike for te reliability side of things.
Overall I would say go for it, if it's the One you want just get it as you will only end up buying a older shitty bike and you will regret it knowing you could of got the bike you wanted.
I know a guy who borght a new cbr1000rr 2 days after passing his test and he hasn't regretted it yet.

Buy it and enjoy the ride 😁

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:12 - 19 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can afford it, and an array of bungs and bobbins, then do it. Life is too short to worry about something that might happen which at worst will just set you back a few quid.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 69 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2