Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Girl needs bike...... suggestions please !!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Gertie
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 23:17 - 15 Feb 2017    Post subject: Girl needs bike...... suggestions please !! Reply with quote

I passed my test at the end of November and a few days later I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis. So, mixed in with bad weather (too cold for me…I’m a wimp I admit) and feeling crap I haven’t ridden since.

I’ve been taking Methotrexate for a couple of months now and they’ve made me a different sort of crap, but I’ve just got to get on with things. I’m trying to man up here! Laughing Laughing

Apart from when I did my DAS on a XJ6, I’ve mainly only rode a YBR125. At 5’4” the YBR125 was great for me in size/weight but just lacked oomph when I needed it. I want to get my next bike but have no idea what to look for or anyone to ask, so I’m hoping for some suggestions please.

I’ll mainly use the bike to get to work (M11 & A12) but when riding for pleasure I don’t need to go at warp speeds. Obviously, the weight & height will matter, is there a larger version of a YBR? I prefer sitting fairly upright rather than laying over a tank. I’m just hoping I can find a bike that’s comfortable to ride really.

Secondly, I was wondering if anyone else has experienced RA, and if so anything you could recommend?

Thanks muchly x
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:29 - 15 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do believe there is a ybr 250
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:31 - 15 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good on you for carrying on, despite the diagnosis. Where abouts is the arthritis? Hands, knees? It would perhaps influence the choice of bike. You don't want your knees near your earholes if you're suffering in them.

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:16 - 16 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

KTM 390 has to be worth a try. They look similar size to a YBR, are incredibly light (140kg) but with 44bhp to a ybr's 10.

Downsides are apparently a hard seat and questionable build quality.

Got to be worth a look though.

6r4h4m
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 00:29 - 16 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi OP, hope you find a belter!

I came across a blog by a woman whose boots made a big difference to being able to ride a wider size range of machines. If you're interested, it's here: https://shortgirlonamotorcycle.com/2016/11/14/a-love-letter-to-my-ladystars/

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:41 - 16 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have said CBF600S because 0.5 cm higher, on paper, than YBR and when I looked at one in person was tiddly although 218kg, according to one website, it's probably not the lightest thing on the planet.

CB500F? 78.5cm seat height, on paper, and weighs 190kg.

MT-07? 80.5 and 182kg.

I feel like I'm just reading out spec sheets. Pop down to a local used bike dealer and see what they've got in and what you'd feel comfortable with and perhaps that would allow for a better idea in the route you'd like to take.

SophR so good
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 09:38 - 16 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Er6? You can get them lowered, I did my test on one. Id not recommend a ~300 for your use, I have one and its great for A roads but isn't much fun for motorway, unless your commute only has 5 minutes of motorway!

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:56 - 16 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 250/300 will be OK at speeds up to (real) 70 / (indicated) 80. It's the light weight and weavy-weavy in high winds that would bother me.

Since that's OP's criteria though, we're at an impasse. Weight is your friend when you emerge from behind an artic into a side gust.

If it's more the height than the weight, I'll have to give a nod towards the F650/700GS which has proven to be a surprisingly good distance bike when fitted with an 800GS screen. The factory lowered versions are truly low, like MSX125 low. They carry their weight down low too, and are very stable and confidence inspiring. Frugal, comfy, cheap on consumables: I just cannot find a good reason to change mine, and I've tried.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:28 - 16 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

If it's more the height than the weight, I'll have to give a nod towards the F650/700GS which has proven to be a surprisingly good distance bike when fitted with an 800GS screen. The factory lowered versions are truly low, like MSX125 low. They carry their weight down low too, and are very stable and confidence inspiring. Frugal, comfy, cheap on consumables: I just cannot find a good reason to change mine, and I've tried.

I was just going to suggest this. They are pretty small bikes.

Also has the ability to retro-fit a recluze automatic clutch if you start having problems with your hands/grip.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:12 - 16 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 800 twins aren't small, as such. There's a fair amount more bike there than (e.g.) an ER-6 or MT-07. But they hide it well - the lowered versions seem to vanish when you get on them.

My MOT chap was just after remarking on how light mine was when he was paddling it around for its brake test. Again, not the case, you're looking at over 200kg, but it's all where you want it, under the seat, or mounted down low. Positive stability, I'd call it.

I don't want to wax too lyrical, but a big factor in buying mine was when I sat on it for the first time and pulled away into an effortless, wobble-free u-turn. The dealer had one in that had all the lowering options (suspension and seat), and I watched this little lady sit on it, she was well short of 5' even in her boots. The look of delighted surprise on her face when she realised she'd found a big bike that she could easily flat foot and paddle was a joy to behold.

Good call on the rekluse, although the standard clutch is light to begin with. You could also try an easy pull clutch widget which would reduce the pull even further.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 12:06 - 16 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rode a Suzuki Inazuma on holiday, 250 That was a decent bike, I even looked at buying one but realised I had no use for it. Laughing

Powerfull enough, I think I hit 130kph 2 up and it had more to go. Really good on fuel and surprisingly good to ride.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:30 - 16 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

no blade yet? get a blade Twisted Evil

or a street triple Thumbs Up

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:30 - 16 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
Inazuma 250

Surprisingly heavy for a naked 250, but again, I'd call that a positive for motorway work.

They've sold fairly well too for a modern 250, which means finding one and parts for it should be achievable. Chisel every penny: they've just been killed off by the Eurobollocks, but 0 mile pre-reg examples are going for £2600 at the moment, which is actually a pretty tempting price.

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:39 - 16 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mrs angryjonny had a YBR125 and loved it. She's had a variety of bigger bikes since then (GS400, SV650, XJ6n) and hasn't warmed to any of them like she did the YBR.

So she's been looking at a YBR250. Then she saw the MT03. I suspect she'll end up getting an MT03.

hedgehugger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:04 - 16 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was diagnosed with RA between my CBT and passing my test in 2008.
Methotrexate sucks! Don't think it did a thing for me, apart from making me vilely nauseous. Leflunomide was better!
The only thing you can do is ride when you can and don't when you can't. I used to get super frustrated when I wanted to ride but was physically impossible.
My RA is more prevelant in my wrists and hands. My fingers are travelling sideways, which can make gloves interesting. Because the one finger is twice the size I have to wear bigger gloves than I would otherwise need.
If your having a 'good' day then anti inflammatory up before riding.
I found that the first couple of years I would get a lot of flares, but for the past 5 or so they have been less, but the hands are damaged. Doesn't stop me riding though.

I ride an ER6n, which is lowered, but I also ride an MT03 which isn't.
Can flat foot with bended knee on the ER6, but have to tiptoe on the MT. Am also 5ft4" with a 31 in leg.
First bike I bought after passing my test was an ER5, height wise that was fine too. Have also owned a BMW F650, that was super comfortable too. Ninja 250r was also an easy ride.

Snowdonia Rider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:24 - 16 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duke 390 is a good shout, lightweight so not too taxing with the RA. They're quite affordable these days too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:42 - 16 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

wouldn't the 390 single be a bit uhh ... aggravating ?

Bald_Eagle1
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:13 - 16 Feb 2017    Post subject: Re: Girl needs bike...... suggestions please !! Reply with quote

Gertie wrote:

Secondly, I was wondering if anyone else has experienced RA, and if so anything you could recommend?

Can't advise re: the big bike as I'm a 59 year old learner with RA, having only done my CBT & bought a new Chinese 125 (Honley HD3) in September - after not riding bikes since I was on a FS1E moped at 16 years old.

The RA mainly affects my hands and ankles, making clutch, front brake, rear brake & gear changing sometimes a little painful.
I take sulfasalazine every day which keeps the RA mostly under control (diagnosed 6 years ago when I could hardly walk at all at times).
Occasional flare ups are eased with one or two celebrex tablets, only taken as & when needed.

Using muffs with decent gloves certainly helped a lot during the colder weather.

I'm only 5' 8" tall & I'll also be asking which big bike to get when I take my test, probably in spring/early summer.

I think an upright seating position might be best for most RA sufferers, with a decent screen to keep most of the wind off the chest, as per my Honley.

Might be a bit underpowered & only has a kick start, but what about a new or newish Yamaha SR400, which is a retro, 70's style bike that looks OK size-wise for shorter riders.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:53 - 17 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

vice wrote:

OP's girlie bits might find it stimulating. However with only 11 litrons in the tank (less the unusable parts) they might get rather familiar with the petrol stations on their route.

Bald_Eagle1 wrote:
[Yamaha SR400] only has a kick start

Immediately rules it out for me, and I like kick starters. But having an electric foot available is a godsend when the bike is being recalcitrant.

That, and there's only ~139 of them around. Even hipsters have largely stayed away in droves.

Honestly, for that money and style, for a bike that you're going to keep, my money would go on a Mash 400.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 11:04 - 17 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
chris-red wrote:
Inazuma 250

Surprisingly heavy for a naked 250, but again, I'd call that a positive for motorway work.

They've sold fairly well too for a modern 250, which means finding one and parts for it should be achievable. Chisel every penny: they've just been killed off by the Eurobollocks, but 0 mile pre-reg examples are going for £2600 at the moment, which is actually a pretty tempting price.

Didn't really notice the weight, probably one of the reasons It felt good to ride.

It handled ~30 stone, going up and down mountains and I couldn't fault it. It was nippy enough and really frugal. I want to buy one, but I have no reason for it Laughing

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:07 - 17 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
vice wrote:

OP's girlie bits might find it stimulating. However with only 11 litrons in the tank (less the unusable parts) they might get rather familiar with the petrol stations on their route.

Was thinking more about the shake and vibrations in the bars and pegs and the RA, but that too.
Tony009 This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:52 - 17 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://cycle-ergo.com/ if you want to get an idea of riding position for your height/inside-leg.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:07 - 18 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did read something about whipping yourself with stinging nettles being good for RA, but never fancied trying it.
Mine isn't too bad, so the most important bit is to keep my hands, knees and ankles warm...

As for bikes, you really need to sit on a bike to know if its OK.
I've a Honda Transalp for pottering around and a few people have asked how I can ride such a big bike but as soon as my weight goes on it I can very easily flat foot.
I'm not recommending a Transalp especially as they're quite heavy but just using it as an example of the affect weight has on a bikes height.

Gertie
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:54 - 19 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MahatmaAndhi wrote:
You don't want your knees near your earholes if you're suffering in them.

Quite right (did make me laugh reading this)

6r4h4m wrote:
Hi OP, hope you find a belter!
I came across a blog by a woman whose boots made a big difference to being able to ride a wider size range of machines. If you're interested, it's here: https://shortgirlonamotorcycle.com/2016/11/14/a-love-letter-to-my-ladystars/

Thanks for this, interesting read.

Not sure if I should be worried to ask, but ‘OP’ ?

Alpineandy wrote:
I did read something about whipping yourself with stinging nettles being good for RA, but never fancied trying it.

Can’t say it’s very appealing to me either

Thanks for all the suggestions, it’s given me something to think about (and Google)
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 61 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2