Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Accident etiquette

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:12 - 16 Feb 2017    Post subject: Accident etiquette Reply with quote

So an unfortunate scooter rider managed to nearly highside it in front of me today (impressive). I stopped and helped him up and moved his bike off the road for him.

By this time the guy had his helmet off was walking around complaining of a bit of pain in his ribs, but he and his bike looked like there was not too much damage. Had a brief chat with the chap, offered some advice of "less power" and continued on my way to work.

Looking back on it I was thinking if I should have stuck around a bit longer? He seemed to be alright, although I am sure he is stiffening up as the day goes. Obviously, if he was hurt more I would have waited for the paramedics etc.

Not sure what else I could have done if I had stuck around but I hope I didn't come across as a bit of a arsejust riding off.

conker
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 15:19 - 16 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Single vehicle accident, I'd have done the same, multi vehicle leave contact details if you was a witness.

More serious injury, wait for paramedics/coppers/do CPR?

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:22 - 16 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

First Bike on Scene (FBoS) about £35 I think, I'm looking at booking soon, have heard good things.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:25 - 16 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

vice wrote:
First Bike on Scene (FBoS) about £35 I think, I'm looking at booking soon, have heard good things.

https://www.facebook.com/bikerdownuk £0 and I got a goodie bag.

It didn't cover petting a scooterist's hair and saying "Hush, there there."

Last edited by Rogerborg on 15:26 - 16 Feb 2017; edited 1 time in total

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:25 - 16 Feb 2017    Post subject: Re: Accident etiquette Reply with quote

natefz6 wrote:
So an unfortunate scooter rider managed to nearly highside it in front of me today (impressive). I stopped and helped him up and moved his bike off the road for him.

By this time the guy had his helmet off was walking around complaining of a bit of pain in his ribs, but he and his bike looked like there was not too much damage. Had a brief chat with the chap, offered some advice of "less power" and continued on my way to work.

Looking back on it I was thinking if I should have stuck around a bit longer? He seemed to be alright, although I am sure he is stiffening up as the day goes. Obviously, if he was hurt more I would have waited for the paramedics etc.

Not sure what else I could have done if I had stuck around but I hope I didn't come across as a bit of a arsejust riding off.

About a year ago, I dropped my Hornet (whilst stationary - don't ask) - anyway, I went to lift it up and thought "Wow, that was easy, the spinach is paying dividends" - I then proceeded to swing my leg over the seat and firmly booted someone in the stomach. That someone was the kind soul who stopped and [unbeknownst to me] quickly helped me lift the bike back up.

So just be thankful you hadn't stopped to help me. I can be quite ungrateful.

But in answer to your question, not many people would bother to stop - so you went beyond the call of duty - you could see that he was fine. So... meh. Don't worry about it - he'll just remember the kind soul who stopped and helped [and patronised him about his riding]

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:29 - 16 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
vice wrote:

That was the one! google search fail Crying or Very sad
I saw it on the Motorbike Show or something, the one with Henry Cole.

Any good?

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:41 - 16 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biker Down is definitely worth doing. Tells you what to do at the scene, how to make things safe, how and when to remove helmets, what to tell the emergency services, etc. etc.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:44 - 16 Feb 2017    Post subject: Re: Accident etiquette Reply with quote

natefz6 wrote:
So an unfortunate scooter rider managed to nearly highside it in front of me today (impressive). I stopped and helped him up and moved his bike off the road for him. .

Scooter rider was on his feet, conscious, and mentally aware and not leaking large amounts of fluids.
I`d say that there wasn't a lot more you could do.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:46 - 16 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
vice wrote:

oi Twisted Evil

I havnt got any hair
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:00 - 16 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyscooter wrote:
I havnt got any hair

None at all?

One of my first bosses had alopecia and all of his hair fell out - head, eyebrows, beard. I did not verify further.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:01 - 16 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

None that I would want roger stroking anyway Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

conker
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 16:46 - 16 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd be less concerned about the accident you've just had though, maybe?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:56 - 16 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's annoying when someone's talking to you for ages, when you just want to get back on the bike before the adrenaline wears off.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:56 - 16 Feb 2017    Post subject: Re: Accident etiquette Reply with quote

natefz6 wrote:
Not sure what else I could have done

Hmmm - did you check that the breeze could still get to his vagina??

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:32 - 16 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I threw myself and my Scootehy down the road, people just drove around me as I lay there. Laughing
I was inexperienced and stupid though, so I'm not sure I blame them.

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:41 - 16 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're giving him a forced verbal teffening about less power then I can't see him wanting you to hang around. Wink

Could have asked if he wants you to call an ambulance for him.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:57 - 16 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never, not once, in all the times I was stranded at the side of the road with the Arrow did anyone, biker or not, stop to help. Little different, sure, from falling of in front of someone but you did more than most I've encountered.

Serendipity
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:25 - 17 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was t-boned off my bike, at a massively busy London crossroads by a red light running cyclist, the balance of the universe was at least partially corrected when a different cyclist (and a passing shambler) stopped and helped me lift the bike.

You did enough by stopping and checking. Thumbs Up

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:35 - 17 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I ran out fuel on my CG (silly I know) in the middle of a junction there were three bikes rode past without glance. Luckily there's a reserve so wasn't a great issue Ince I'd realised what a twat I'd been.

Once had a guy check one when I had the er6 stopped in the middle of nowhere though. I was just checking my map.

I always stop when practical but often I'm not needed.

Last edited by kgm on 13:27 - 17 Feb 2017; edited 1 time in total

tom_e
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:48 - 17 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
It's annoying when someone's talking to you for ages, when you just want to get back on the bike before the adrenaline wears off.

Are you ok?

Are you sure?

Is the bike ok?

Are you still ok?

Are you really sure you're ok?

Do you want me to call an ambulance/psychic/your mum/your next of kin/dave down the road?

Fuck off! The bike is ridable, all my limbs are still kind of attached I'm going home!

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:52 - 17 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
Never, not once, in all the times I was stranded at the side of the road with the Arrow did anyone, biker or not, stop to help. Little different, sure, from falling of in front of someone but you did more than most I've encountered.

I've stopped once on the A13 to pick another biker up, I saw the stranded bike, and 200m further up the road was the owner trudging along - so I gave him a lift to the BP a couple of miles up the road [where he bought a fuel can and some fuel] and back to his bike and made myself 15 mins late for work into the bargain.

Would I do it again? Probably not whilst commuting. I know it's a bit petty, but I've been stranded four times since then (twice fuel, twice tyres), and not once has someone stopped to ask if they could help (despite a huge number of bikes using that route) - so survival of the fittest seems to be the order of the day...

(Although if I were out on a leisure ride (or _incredibly_ early for work), then I probably still would)

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:40 - 17 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

goto10 wrote:
I've stopped once on the A13 to pick another biker up, I saw the stranded bike, and 200m further up the road was the owner trudging along - so I gave him a lift to the BP a couple of miles up the road [where he bought a fuel can and some fuel] and back to his bike and made myself 15 mins late for work into the bargain.

Would I do it again? Probably not whilst commuting. I know it's a bit petty, but I've been stranded four times since then (twice fuel, twice tyres), and not once has someone stopped to ask if they could help (despite a huge number of bikes using that route) - so survival of the fittest seems to be the order of the day...

(Although if I were out on a leisure ride (or _incredibly_ early for work), then I probably still would)

I've not stopped for broken down motorcyclists, I'm not that knowledgeable and don't have any man with a van mates so wouldn't be much help. Accidents yes I've stopped (to give witness details etc.) and would again.

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:18 - 18 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:

If I had a penny for every time someone stopped to see if I'm okay, when I've only pulled over to have a ciggy, I'd be a rich man. Well, not really but, you get the picture.

It's actually gotten to the point now that I try and find somewhere out of sight.

Sods law is though, that come the time I do need help, not a single soul will bother.

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 58 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1