Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Thinking about becoming a biker...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

biker_boy
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:15 - 16 Feb 2017    Post subject: Thinking about becoming a biker... Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Just getting a feel for how to prepare to get into biking. No knowledge, or experience really so open to advice.

I always thought it would be great to ride a bike. I'm in my late 30s and am now thinking it might be better to commute by bike and become a 1 car household that's used by my OH to ferry kids about.

I have been intrigued by bikes since I was young though. My grandad used to be a dispatch rider in world war II, and he would tell me stories of racing behind enemy lines. On one such occasion he came face to face with a German soldier sitting down with his gun as he rounded a corner after landing at Normandy. He thought he was in trouble but quickly realised the other bloke must have had a heart attack from a nearby blast or something, because he didn't move or blink. He said they had to switch to jeeps in the end because cheese wire would be strung up across roads. And when I was little we would watch the Nortons racing on tv, he loved that - great memories.

Fast forward to now, and given the price hikes coming for road tax and cars, I'm considering learning to ride. The only bike I tried was in Bahrain once on some sand dunes. Probably 125/250cc, no idea. Great fun, but forgotten everything as it was years ago.

It would be great to get some advice regarding good local instructors rather than cruising google. I don't know whether to go DAS or CBT and ride for a year. My commute is on the M25 for 4 miles and A41 (dual carriageway) for around 14 miles. I also read recently that the 125s can leave the rider feeling a little vulnerable given they're at operating near to max power at around 70mph. I had been thinking of a Honda 125 Varadero XL up to that point. Don't want to get ahead of myself, but also don't want to put myself in harm's way either.

Bring on the baptism of fire!! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

davethekwak
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 18:21 - 16 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go DAS route. Can't go on M25 with CBT. Commute would be painful on a 125.

Azoth
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:34 - 16 Feb 2017    Post subject: Re: Thinking about becoming a biker... Reply with quote

Hello and welcome. Your grandfather had an exciting (if not always pleasant) time on bikes in WW2. You had a fun time on a bike in Bahrain. For these reasons, you associate bikes with positive things. That's a good start. However, your commute (M25 and A41) is anything but fun. Depending on the time of day you travel, you will be joining other bikers in filtering. The closer you get to London, the higher the level of filtering ability you'll need. The A roads and the motorways (M4 and M25) are absolutely fine for bikes, and the drivers are mostly OK. However, most of the other roads in London itself are much more difficult than they were - they've been narrowed, and new traffic islands and kerbs have been put in place. So, if you've seen RoyalJordanian filtering, you should appreciate that he's really, really good at the 'filtering' bike skills subset. Think again if you want to take inner London roads by bike.

All this matters because you are a beginner, considering how to start. You mention the roads and taxation scheme appearing favourable. They might be, for now, but they might not be by the time you are feasibly ready to commute to London. The bottom line is, you are expected to take public transport, however bad, and you'll be penalised if you don't make that choice. Taxes will increase, and the roads and parking situation will be made harder for bikes. Really, the time is right for London bike commuters now, not tomorrow.

Another thing is that you need to account for not only learning time and gaining experience on a bike (even if you do a DAS, you won't be happy on a rush hour London commute until you get a few thousand road miles under your belt), but also the changing road and weather conditions. As the weather improves, it's perfect. On rainy, cold days, a lot of calculation and planning is necessary to avoid discomfort.

In summary, I'd separate your plan to commute from your plan to learn to ride. Learn to ride first, have fun on a bike, do your commute a couple of times by bike in the rain, and then make your decision as to whether that's for you. In the meantime, keep renewing the travel card. Just my two cents.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:02 - 16 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

In with a <cool-story-bro.jpg>, nicely played.

Biking is ace, and the sooner you get your tests out of the way the better. I wobbled around on a 125 for a year, and in retrospect, it was a mistake. Even my current commuter tool of choice, a 250, offers significantly more safety and capability than a 125.

Commuting in London though, urgh. What m'lurned colleague is referring to is this sort of daily commute (warning: vlogger). Is that really something that you'd relish doing day after day?

mrmistoffelee...
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 19:31 - 16 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't help with schools but I too came to biking late by passing my test just before my 40th birthday.

Do CBT, do theory, do lessons, do tests buy, big bike & smile every day you ride it..

Best of luck & welcome

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:24 - 16 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop thinking and just do it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/188253/_bcf/mowa/dewit.gif

I wish I'd started riding much earlier. Do your CBT, and then do your tests. Don't fanny about doing la-de-da 125 stuff, your commute wont let you... (M25 No learners)

biker_boy
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:13 - 16 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone and thanks for the great tips so far. Sound advice.

I think I need to explain that I will be going the opposite way to London. I work in Tring, Hertfordshire. I always seem to have great traffic flow to work. Takes me 25 mins and cruise control is on almost the whole way in the car. It's very unusual to drop below 70mph. Coming home the m25 sometimes has traffic, but never at a stand still.

I know the two are very different, but in the 20yrs I've been driving, this is the easiest commute I've ever done.

I really want to find a decent teacher though. Hopefully there'll be some recommendations so I don't part with money to the wrong person.

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:14 - 16 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum!

I agree with all of the above. CBT then DAS. Thumbs Up

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:17 - 16 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, fair enough. However, there's still no "heading away from That London" exemption for Learner riding on motorways. So unless you actively want to stick to other roads (I do, actually), I'd still say get on with the training and tests.

There will be a strong temptation after you do the CBT to just get a 125 and start riding straight away. If you possibly can, try to blag a quick go on a 600cc+ training bike - that will instantly show you why the 125 is a waste of precious time.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:25 - 16 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't be a biker. Just be yourself.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:00 - 16 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

In b4 TEF

Just so you read my comment Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

biker_boy
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 00:10 - 17 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Ah, fair enough. However, there's still no "heading away from That London" exemption for Learner riding on motorways. So unless you actively want to stick to other roads (I do, actually), I'd still say get on with the training and tests.

There will be a strong temptation after you do the CBT to just get a 125 and start riding straight away. If you possibly can, try to blag a quick go on a 600cc+ training bike - that will instantly show you why the 125 is a waste of precious time.

I can take the country lanes to work too. Do you think I should do that instead of the motorway? I don't mind really. It's not like I'm gonna stick the bike on cruise line I do with the car!

My ideal plan is to get the DAS done ASAP so I can get riding whatever bike I want. I just don't want to have something I can't control. Any options for a 500/600cc, on a tight budget. I'd rather spend on my helmet and protective gear and get an old but good bike to ride until I'm confident.

My mate years ago put me on the back of his Honda cbr600 and that thing could shift.

I'm 6'1" and around 100kg so not the lightest by any means. Would those older bikes be Ok, or have you any recommendations?

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:25 - 17 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

biker_boy wrote:
I can take the country lanes to work too. Do you think I should do that instead of the motorway?

One a week I ride from Enfield to Great Missenden, so roughly your route. When I was on Ls I did it via the back roads which was fine. I often still do, motorways are a bit boring at best and depressing in heavy traffic and rain. What's your starting point? If it's my end of the M25 then just make sure you don't go through St.Albans in the morning rush, it's always chocker.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 00:53 - 17 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

biker_boy wrote:
I just don't want to have something I can't control.

That's down to your self control. You can ride a 200mph bike at walking pace.

biker_boy wrote:
Any options for a 500/600cc, on a tight budget.

Loads. CBR, Bandit, ER6, SV650. Based on what you like and dislike about your training bike, I'd look for reasons not to get an FZS600.

You will now get the lecture from Teflon-Mike about not putting the WHORES before the CARET, and to stop THINKING and start RIDINGE. Once you've survived that, you're good to go.

biker_boy
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 00:59 - 17 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_Pagin wrote:
biker_boy wrote:
I can take the country lanes to work too. Do you think I should do that instead of the motorway?

One a week I ride from Enfield to Great Missenden, so roughly your route. When I was on Ls I did it via the back roads which was fine. I often still do, motorways are a bit boring at best and depressing in heavy traffic and rain. What's your starting point? If it's my end of the M25 then just make sure you don't go through St.Albans in the morning rush, it's always chocker.

Start is J17 M25 and office is in Tring. The back roads are nice too, going through Amersham and Chesham.

biker_boy
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 01:02 - 17 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

biker_boy wrote:
Any options for a 500/600cc, on a tight budget.

Loads. CBR, Bandit, ER6, SV650. Based on what you like and dislike about your training bike, I'd look for reasons not to get an FZS600.[/quote]

Thanks. I'll take a look.

biker_boy
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 01:22 - 17 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just saw this one. I quite like the look of this bike.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201702162388529

Whichever bike I buy though, it's going to need to live on the street with security locks and a good quality cover. It's very quiet round here, but don't want to tempt anyone!

Would the insurance be a killer for a 600cc newbie? I noticed they ask how long I've driven my car for when I checked insurance for a 125

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 06:45 - 17 Feb 2017    Post subject: Re: Thinking about becoming a biker... Reply with quote

biker_boy wrote:
Don't want to get ahead of myself, but also don't want to put myself in harm's way either.

Answer to that one is to check into a hotel with padded wallpaper... LIFE is dangerouse and I dont know many that have got out alive.....

FACT bikes ARE dangerous.... probably not as dangerous as many think, but... if you can't take the heat, don't go in the kitchen!

Still want to carry on? then, remember, rushing be quick way to hurt, and no where more so than on two wheels.... take your time.. dont rush, enjoy the journey... and learning to ride is ONE journey... dont get ahead of yourself, or try riding bits of road you cant even see just yet.... like the M25!?!?!? worry about THIS bit of road around you here and now... which IS... a carpark.... that doesn't even have a bike in it yet!

biker_boy wrote:
I don't know whether to go DAS or CBT and ride for a year.

Yup.. this starts your education... CBT is compulsary basic training, you HAVE to do that to 'validate' provisional {LEARNER!} licence entitlement, whether you exploit learnerlicence to try dodging tests and riding around on L's, or get down to it and do tests, probably via DAS or Direct Access Scheme, 'training'.. under which scheme, you are allowed to ride a bike bigger than 125cc on L-Plates as ling as you are under supervision of a qualified and approved instructor.

This ISN'T an either or question... you HAVE to complete CBT before you can ride anything... you may do that as first part of a DAS course, but you will still have to do it.

biker_boy wrote:
My commute is on the M25 for 4 miles and A41 (dual carriageway) for around 14 miles. .

Well, you wont be doing that on L-Plates..... at least not the motorway bit. Motorway regs prohibit 'Learners'... so to use that lol... road... you would have to have a full licence.

BUT, bit of road you are on.. you are not yet even a learner... AND, I time and time again say, if you are confident enough to tackle the daily commute, you can tackle the tests. Tests are little more than simulated daily commute, that expect you to get accross town, without breaking any road laws or causing hazard to other traffic... IF you cant do that... well... you aren't likely to survive the daily commute too well! Especially as THAT tends to be THE most fraught, hazard laden envitroment ANYONE can try ans tackle, with lots and lots of half awake idiots, all chomping on thier steering wheel, wanting to be somewhere else in a hurry not watching what they are doing.. it REALLY isn't the best place to be a 'Learner' really... so back to earlier advice! DONT RUSH less still Rush Hour!!!

Ride THIS bit of road you are on, do the learning. Treat the learning as ONE bit of road. WHEN you have done that and got as far as a full licence, THEN start thinking 'maybe' tackling busier streets, and THEN think about maybe tackling that commuter mele!

biker_boy wrote:
given the price hikes coming for road tax and cars, I'm considering learning to ride

Yeah... LETS rain you in a bit on that idea... Yup.. motorbikes 'May' save you some money on daily commute.... eventually.....

Annual road tax, miles per gallon, sort of stuff you look at, 'hint' that there's HUGE savings to be had.... scotch that idea from the start.

Before you even get to them savings, you have an awful lot of set up costs to sort out. It's not just the bike; you will also want riding gear, and for all year, all weather commuting, that better be warm and waterproof, and you will likely need a couple of sets, so you can get one dry before you need to put it back on, and you will need to factor in replacing it pretty regularly as it wears out. Then there's security. Bikes get nicked, they are easy to lift into the back of a van. You will want good locks to tie it down, and more so if you are leaving the thing parked up in the same place every day, away from home.

That brings us onto the question of insurance; and first glance quotes are often very flattering. Motorcycling is now more often a leisure pursuit, and first quote prices are often flattered by incredibly low annual mileage allowances, and exclusion of 'commuting' from the cover. 14 miles each way, a day, five days a week, fifty weeks the year is 7ooo miles, likely double the mileage allowance first quotes presume. Correct that, and check the box to include 'commuting' and the price is likely to go up by half or more again. AND as a new rider, you likely wont have have any riding experience or qualifying No claims discount on that, and you will be declaring your licence entitlement from the date you passed motorcycle tests for it.. not when you got your car test... this WILL all make a difference.

Now... I said you 'may' find savings, buy you will have to work for them. Motorcycles demand a level of maintenance that is shocking to most car drivers used to washing machine like user friendliness. Bikes need a LOT more care and attention, and that costs. Tyres for my bike for example lasty around 3ooo miles.. and cost around £200 a pair... on my Honda chavic, twice the number of tyres cost half that, and lasted gawd knows how many times as long... I only ever wore out the set that came on it in six years!!! I think I lifted the bonnet half a dozen times, mostly to fill teh windscreen washer bottle... I have to do an oil change on the bike more frequently than that... and I only use it for limited leisure miles, NOT daily commuting!

Smaller bikes, will more likely find you real savings; tyres, chains & sprockets, etc are all of a much lighter grade, and hence cheaper, and the lighweight bikes lacking weight and performance can stretch thier life span... but they still need them, and you will be having to adjust the chain tension every week, and the oil and spark plugs every month, or paying someone else to do it.

And that can quickly errode 'savings', you are hoping to see to pay back all you will have had to spend to get kitted up, get trained and get on the road in the first place.... whilst having done so, enthusiasm will likely be begging you DONT want a ;;lightweight but a 'big bike', and any savings you might have found are likely to dissapear very quickly in the ramped costs of bigger bikes.

IF you seriously want to find savings... it is NOT what you got, but what you DON'T do with it that make most difference.

And real world... you'll likely find more real savings buying a cadilac, and being scared to use it 'cos of how much it costs at the pumps, than buying a moped, cos its Sooooo cheap to fill, and NOT thinking twice about the miles you do....

If you want to save money, you will have to work for it, regardless, and in the compromises you have to make, how much a bike might contribute to them savings IS likely not worth just how much you will have to compromise to see them....

DON'T do it for the money... do it for the LOVE.

And from the start, don't try and kidd yourself, or worse, probably reluctant nearest and dearest that, "it is all 'so much cheaper'"... they wont believe you, when you are so obviously spending money to do it, and it'll just add to the contention, frustration and likely disappointment!

Back to the L Plates... hundred quid or so to do CBT vs a grand or so to do DAS... easy to see saving there NOT getting a licence..... but heed warnings.. IF you are confident you can commute and not get hurt, you should be confident you can pass tests... if not.. DONT RUSH-Hour!!

ALL the neat spread sheet arguments WILL go out the window when the bill comes in to replace a pair of bent handlebars, or a skuffed exhaust or a ripped riding jacket! Let alone anything more seriouse than a low speed 'off' in the car park!

Value of the training, then comes into its own, and that grands worth of know how to try and keep you out of expensive trouble WILL pay for itself.... its not so obvious, we cant cost crashes we don't have, BUT, don't have to save you very many to pay for itself, and KEEP paying for itself.

Lessons are for LIFE not licences! It never wears out, cant be lost or stolen, doesn't put your insurance premium up, or take resale value off the bike, and better rider goes further, goes faster and spends less money doing so; its ALL win, and its ALL paying for itself in the long run.

Does that answer your DAS to licence vs CBT & L Plate debate?

If not I can offer a few thousand more good reasons to get trained, and get a licence... but we are talking the ecconomics....

A crash hat is good for ONE crash... maybe three to five years 'normal' use, possibly just a year of daily commuting.... if you don'tuse it for its primary purpose...

How much would you be prepared for a crash hat you hope you NEVER have to get the value from saving your head? £50? £100? £150? £250? £500?... think about that... USE your head don't hide it in a plastic bucket and think you got safety covered.. you don't.... Reletively how much are you prepared to pay for a course to hopefully NOT have to rely on a crash hat to save your bonce? Makey sensey?

GO GET TRAINED

Meanwhile.. do it for the love, not the money... in all likely hood it WONT save you anything EVER, if your enthusiasm carries you to bigger bikes, and to riding them more than just to get to and from work, they can easily and quickly become an expensive obsession, and even keeping your head, the associated costs of setting up, maintaining bike, and riding kit, WILL take a large chunk of any saving you might find from a bike over a car, and you will have to work for savings, just like you would with a car, looking at how you are using it, what for, and thinking twice before grabbing keys to pop to the shop, rather than walking.

What bike? lol here and now its just about the LAST thing you need worry about.

Start at the beginning, this bit of road, one foot in front of the other, one step at a time.

Before you can night mare at going out on the roads you NEED to have that CBT cert in your pocket... if you book a DAS, before doing one, then you will have to book a longer course to include it. So you MAY as well go get it on its own to start with. There is a LOT of learning to be had in it, AND you will likely find out whether you even enjoy being on a bike in it!

Then.. IF you like it, and having had to cough up no more than £1oo or so to find out, and NOT had to buy a bike, or sort insurance or any of that stufff... you can go book your Theory/Hazard test for a motorbike.

IF you heed advice, LPlate is for learning to pass tests, NOT to avoid'em.. this should be the objective, here, and buying disc or doing online practices you can get yourself yup to speed for that bit, for virtually nil cost... heck you could start that NOW before even booking a CBT! Tests only £30 and you will be expected to have that before you book anything else, whether its 'tiddler tests' on your own 125, or a DAS course on a big bike; where you will be expected to have that pass cert in your pocket before they will take you out on the road, so you have a clear shot to be put in for the practicals and not stalled waiting to get a theory pass first.

IF CBT goes well, THEN you might be better informed to make the choice over doing DAS.. remember CBT is only a first lesson, and while 125's can be cheap... crashes aint... and full licence SHOULD be the goal for this bit of road, and you shouldn't be rushing to jump into rush hour!

125's 'may' achieve 70mph.. even the odd, and mine are particularly, four-stroke 125. I have a GPS snail trail showing a sustained 69.9 for eight miles along the M42 'two up' somewhere!!! They are as fast as anything else is legally allowed to go in this country, and thier small displacement wont make you any safer from 'Sorry Mate I Didn't See You' homicidal car drivers.... which are, probably a much lesser danger than new rider hanging onto the bars, to be honest, quite capable of hurting themselves without any help from any one else!

You can ride these without passing tests.. as said, whether that's the smartest choice is up to you.... they can be cheap, though, and for daily commuting you can do that on a full licence on one as easily as you could on a full licence on a bigger bike... whether with a licence you would want to... is again up to you... I do like mine for the fact they are so 'nimble' around town compared to the big bike... but, actually cost me more to insure than the big bike, by dint of the 'Learner Loading' 125's get, and thats a reletively old and cheap one! New 'premium' 125's like the CBR or YZF or whatever they are offering with knobly tyres these days that are double the price in the show room, as well as even more to insure, and have all that extra plastic to skuff up in an off, are likely to have to work very very had to show any real world saving on thier MPG to claw it all back!! You don't 'save' money buy paying big money for little bikes! Really, you don't. IF you want to go the 125 route for the possible savings, then the utilitarian commuters like the YBR125 are the ones that are most likely to actually deliver them... BUT if you have got the learning and the full licence to give yourself best chance to hang on to any you find.. then there are bigger bikes that, can deliver just as much real world saving with a bot more 'comfort' room, in anything from the saddle space to holding bypass speeds.

125's are still great training tools, and the discipline they encourage from their lack of power that wont let you get away with sloppy clutch control, or thier lack of mass that wont damp wobbles for you and demand you get smooth, can be great, and stuff you wont get on a big bike going DAS straight off the stops... BUT rush hour trafic is NOT a great place to be masterting clutch control stalling at round abouts!

So a DAS course Is likely the ultimate conclusion, AND you may as well, WHEN you get to that corner in this bit of road you are on, cut to the chase and take that route....

A-N-D you STILL don't need to buy a bike, or insurance or gear, or security..... and can decide what bike, after you have licence to ride in your pocket and that much more know how in your head, before you hide it in a plastic pot....

So.. conclusion.. real in the enthusiasm. take note that the exxonomic argument, probably isn't... training IS key to getting know how to save lives, not just get licences.... DONT RUSH less still rush hour... and take it ONE step at a time....

First step CBT

Second Theory/Hazard, IF you still want to carry on..

Third.. PROBABLY cutting to the chase and doing DAS

Riding gear may come into question before step 2 or 3, but usual advice is offer is dont buy more than you need, at that point and treat it as disposeable.

So, after step 3, with a full licence in your pocket... or away at DVLA for the ink to be put on, let alone 'dry'! Then you might be at a point to start thinking about the questions you have running around your head now, and whether to go fort a 125 or a bigger bike.... AND whether it really can 'pay for itself' and how much you will have to do to make it do so, if it can... AND whether you really are ready for the daily commuter grind, let alone a horrible London one!!!! Or whether you want to get some more leisure miles under your belt first.. or stick only to leisure miles, like so many do.

But, THIS bit of road, ride only what you can see to be clear, here and now, and one step at a time.....

GO book a CBT... that is as far as you need take it at the moment.... Maybe go find some Motorcycle thoery hazard games on line to have a go at.

DONT RUSH!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:56 - 17 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

biker_boy wrote:
I just saw this one. I quite like the look of this bike.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201702162388529

Whichever bike I buy though, it's going to need to live on the street with security locks and a good quality cover. It's very quiet round here, but don't want to tempt anyone!

Would the insurance be a killer for a 600cc newbie? I noticed they ask how long I've driven my car for when I checked insurance for a 125

Yes - that sort of thing would be perfect. Sounds a bit pricey to me but that's what put me off Fazers - they all seemed over priced.

As for insurance: I'd be surprised if the 600 wasn't cheaper to insure than a 125. My Bandit was.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:00 - 17 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
You will now get the lecture from Teflon-Mike about not putting the WHORES before the CARET, and to stop THINKING and start RIDINGE. Once you've survived that, you're good to go.

Did survive that?

I'd be looking to pay closer to £1K for an FZS600, privately. Dealers don't have a premium on decent bikes. If anything, they'll get the trade-in lemons that people want rid of.

biker_boy
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 09:09 - 17 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, lots to take in and ponder.

I'm gonna go get me a CBT first and get the theory done before that.

Great advice. Thank you.

biker_boy
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 09:16 - 17 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I'm sure I'll be burned for asking this question. But if I've got zero experience on a bike and go to take my CBT, I guess it would depend how quick I get the hang of the gears and clutch control as well as actually being on a bike?

Should I expect a resit?

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:18 - 17 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

biker_boy wrote:

Not likely. At your age, if you go TPFT I'd be amazed if you pay over 200 quid as long as you don't buy a firebusa.

I think I paid about 120 quid for my GPZ500 back in 2008 ish.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:19 - 17 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

biker_boy wrote:
And I'm sure I'll be burned for asking this question. But if I've got zero experience on a bike and go to take my CBT, I guess it would depend how quick I get the hang of the gears and clutch control as well as actually being on a bike?

Should I expect a resit?

It's just as much training as it needs to get you to a required level. I struggled, but got through first time in end. Others struggled, went away and adjusted to the teachings a bit then came back and did fine another day. Don't sweat it.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 10:08 - 17 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

biker_boy wrote:

Should I expect a resit?

It is compulsary basic training... you go you do, when you have done enough to meet pretty low standard of basic beginners competance they give you a DL196 cert for the doing...

Only folk that do a 'resit' are the numpties who think its a test and wobble about for two years on L's dodging tests that, self booked on your own 125, and are exactly the same as the ones you'd do on a big bike under DAS... and cost the same.... usually as little or no more than another CBT course to carry on dodging the damn things!

CBT course has a set sylabus you have to work through. It IS designed that an 'average' newb, can cover it all, and get upo to that very low basic 'learner' standard... which is basically, whether the instructor thinks IF he lets you ride home, you will hurt anyone... expected at that level you WILL probably fall off.... it is NOT a driving test, it IS just the first lesson, remember.... so, grade you have to make is merely not being utterly clueless and unco-ordinated!

IF you cant do it in a day... DONT SWEAT IT.. it is NOT a bludy test, it is TRAINING.. you need more, you need more, go back and get it! remember, lessons is for lives NOT licences!

A lot DONT complete in the day, especially this time of year when the day is short of daylight. There is a hell of a lot crammed into the course for you to take in, and remember, AND most new riders will find the practical excersises a lot of excersise! There's a mandatory two hour road ride at the end of teh course, which is more than a lot of folk do very often in the saddle, and that is after perhaps three of four hours saddle time, on the yard going through the cone excersises, on top of the manual handling, shoving thing on and off its stand, wheeling it in and out of pretend parking spaces etc... on top of the mental stuff of the class-room excersises.

Jeez! I did six hour off-road events 'for fun', scrabling around old quarreys and the like, and as an instructor, just stood around on a cold windy playground most of the time, it was knackering!!!!!

IF you aren't a complete numpty, you stand a fair chance of completing in the day.. but expect to be falling into bed pretty knackered at the end of it, and getting up sore and aching having made a lot of use of muscles you probably dont very often!

If you DONT complete in the day.. no great shales, many dont, and it isn't expected, and you haven't 'failed'.. you just need more practice.

AND dont expect twenty years sat in a box to be much help or head start.. car drivers can be the hardest to teach, especially if they 'think' that its all so simple and they already know it all its just having controls in a different place.

Often seem pretty on the ball in the classroom, where knowing roads they seem to have an advantage, unless cought out by something bike specific... on the playground doing teh cones, they often pick it up pretty quick, once they have the feel of the controls, it sort of makes sense... BUT soon as they are out on the road, in the familiar enviroment they are used to from a box... THEN it starts to get tough, and 'car driver habbits' kick in....

I actually had a student, a driver of 3 years, pick it up all very quickly on the playground, get as far as the first T-Junction at the bottom of the road outside the school... and fall over! Back on the road, in the familiar he reverted to being a car driver... and pulling up to the junction, he was actually reaching for the ruddy handbrake that wasn't there, before he started to topple not putting his foot down! He did, belatedly, and we laughed it off, BUT it can be that instinctive.

Most usual niggle is nagging student over the radio to do thier ruddy shoulder checks.. car drivers dont.. they rely on mirrors and ESP.... and to cancel indicators... bikes dont have self cancelling ones... as top 'crimes', and that sort of thing can get tedius as these are habbits that take a LOT of breaking.

so, some existing know how will help, some will hinder, dont expect a thing... and remember T is for training NOT test... there is no 'fail' there is no 'resit' just more needed training... AND short days and exhaustion of the playground work, absolutely no shame going home at lunch and coming back another day for the rest!! It IS tiring, and there IS a lot to take in... remember teh first rule... DONT RUSH
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 42 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2