Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Struggling with Hazard perception

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Deadonkey
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 21:29 - 15 Feb 2017    Post subject: Struggling with Hazard perception Reply with quote

Hi,

Doing my DAS at the moment, got my theory in 2 weeks.

Im fine with the questions but I cant get the hand of the hazard perception, I didnt have to do it for my car licence.

Its not that I cant see the hazards, I can see loads of hazards in each video but Im having an issue getting the hazard that they want and clicking at the time that they want, im usually either clicking too early or too late,

The quality of the video isnt helping its not exactly HD
Just done one with a child on a bike and I couldnt really see him as early as it wanted due to the quality of the video, It wanted me to see him as a hazard because he was a child but at the time where it was rewarding 5 points he was riding fine down the pavement. So not massively hazardous.

Im using this Theory test pro that my instructor signed me up for.

Any advise?

Keep practising I suppose

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:32 - 15 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll see the hazard about 2-3 seconds prior to when it's actually going to want you to click.

The test presumes you'll only notice the hazard when you're about to hit is because noob reasons.

Click when you see the hazard, then do a slow 1 count, and click again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:32 - 16 Feb 2017    Post subject: Re: Struggling with Hazard perception Reply with quote

Deadonkey wrote:

Im using this Theory test pro that my instructor signed me up for.

You could try the official DVSA training pack. I used that to practise and the video was very clear.

Arry's advice is spot on, though.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:59 - 16 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

how big is your computer monitor

mines only small and I struggled to hit the target the centre use a massive monitor

its also in computer generated graphics on the test rather then real life and is slower so much easier to see
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Aceslock
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 09:20 - 16 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are multiple Potential hazards during each clip which you should click once you see them, but only 1 Developing hazard which you should click again to as it occurs, (with the exception of one clip which will have more than 1 developing hazard). Don't click instantly though as it will not register & don't click multiple times or it will fail you. As mentioned above, when you see the hazard developing do a one count then click Thumbs Up

I struggled with the online trials before my test, but it was easy, don't sweat it, you will be fine

mas101
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 09:34 - 16 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a LOT of poor quality videos out there.

Have a look at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCO3P1g6iMaeSvXFUMcKh8ow

youtube user jellylearn.co.uk

Looks like it might be the actual developer of the hazard test.

I agree with others - click, wait, click. I think I did 3 clicks per issue.

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:22 - 16 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aceslock wrote:
There are multiple Potential hazards during each clip which you should click once you see them, but only 1 Developing hazard which you should click again to as it occurs, (with the exception of one clip which will have more than 1 developing hazard). Don't click instantly though as it will not register & don't click multiple times or it will fail you. As mentioned above, when you see the hazard developing do a one count then click Thumbs Up

I struggled with the online trials before my test, but it was easy, don't sweat it, you will be fine

Absolutely this. If you're any good, you'll see them too early. Clicking rapidly causes a fail, but once a second as it develops means youll never be far off. Better to score all 4s than 5s and 0s.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:43 - 16 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's also handy for you to know that you can't get penalised for too many clicks in the score zone. So if you click, then click a couple of times just after, you will score.
You are allowed 7 clicks outside of the score zone, which is plenty.
Practice with doing 3 clicks a second apart when you see the hazard and watch your fail move instantly into a pass.

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:04 - 16 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

do what everyone is saying - its sound advice

I failed my first hazard perception , i only got 3/45! i was clicking as soon as i saw the hazard then waiting for the next clip. obviously i was clicking too early. next time round i clicked when i saw the hazard, waited a second or two then clicked again. i got near enough full marks.

it's a joke when you have been driving 10 years, as you know what to look out for kinda annoying i had to so the test again.

mrtisme
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:49 - 18 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right I was in the same boat as you, already a car diver and looking at the clips as if I was driving along in my car clicking when I noticed the hazards. Wrong approach this is not what they want You need to click when the hazard is about to happen not when you identify it.
Count between the clicks around a second between each one and you should score something also the clips are now CGI not video so quality is no longer an issue.
Stick with it keep practising and you soon get used to what is expected.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 40 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1