Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Sparks flying when I tried to power something from battery

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Topic moved: from General Bike Chat to The Workshop by Kickstart (17 Feb 2017 - 23:24)
View previous topic : View next topic  
Arcane1729 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:26 - 16 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

One word..... "Workshop"

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:27 - 16 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A small spark is normal. You *may* have killed the charger by spiking transients when you connected and disconnected it to the battery.

It's Halfords though, take it back and play dumb. Get new one, don't fuck around with it.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 20:28 - 16 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a 12v battery, sure, but it's a very high current which is where you get the sparks from. You shouldn't really connect it directly to the battery as you'll flatten it if you leave the charger connected. Most people find a switched live to splice it into, such as the taillight or something. Did you connect the battery with the charger inserted in the 12v socket?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Arcane1729 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:03 - 16 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon you have popped the fuse in the charger?

Oh an "Workshop"

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewforum.php?f=33

The correct way to connect "stuff" to your bikes elctric system is through a relay, a bit more invlved then just shoving it onto the battery terminals but not that hard.

Take a look at this guide

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewforum.php?f=33

(cheers stinky)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:42 - 16 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcane1729 wrote:

What I did was: to the battery. Put the halfords universal charger into the cigarette socket. Put the charger into the cigarette socket (it's designed for a cigarette port) Connect phone to charger. And finally put the leads of the cigarette socket on the battery terminals as I said.

Well think about it Rolling Eyes You connect it up to the battery before connecting anything to it that is going to need a load Shocked

Next time connect the ciggy socket up 1st, with nothing in it.... And ALWAYS use a fuse or any short could mean your bike goes up in flames... If you are really lucky it will be while you are moving Laughing

iooi wrote:
One word..... "Workshop"

As someone else point out... There is a dedicated section for bike problems Thumbs Up

davethekwak
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:43 - 16 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You use a fuse in case positive and negative wire come together. With a fuse the fuse will blow and cut power. Without a fuse the power will flow at a high current level creating extreme heat, melting the wire insulation and normally catching fire.
ALWAYS us a fuse of the correct amps.

Relays are used to allow smaller switches to be used than the current required to power the device operated by them. All the switch does with a relay in circuit in place is provide enough power to the relay to close a connection allowing the relay to take over and provide power to the device using thicker wires

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:30 - 17 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What socket are you using and how are you connecting it

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:03 - 17 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcane1729 wrote:
yes I was thick.

But you've mystically gained intelligence since AMIRITE?

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:03 - 17 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcane1729 wrote:
wait do all these things when connected to the battery only work when the ignition is turned on? I notice my grips only get warm when I am in motion not even sitting still with the engine running for a while (even in gear - when sitting still they gradually decrease in heat- I've tried cos I'm sad and I noticed the they would get warm proportional to speed.

I didn't actually turn on the bike this time because I still haven't got a new key after I lost my only one if youve been following my woeful life up to now.

Are you autistic?

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:51 - 17 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcane1729 wrote:
andyscooter wrote:
What socket are you using and how are you connecting it

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172381155972?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

OK where and how are you fitting it as even though the socket me be waterproof the wording doesn't look like it is
Also there is an inline fuse in that

Has it blown and has it been replaced

ScottT
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:40 - 17 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why didn't you just get one of these?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391624652190?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Billy Balthorpe
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 00:51 - 18 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcane, please don't think I'm being arsey, I'm not, I apologise in advance if you have already done any of this stuff but here goes.

Make sure you have connected the red wire to the tang on the bottom marked with a +, then connect the black wire to the tang on the bottom marked -. Now connect the black wire to the battery terminal marked -. Then carefully connect the red wire to the terminal marked +. That's the socket connected. Now plug in your phone charger. If it doesn't work, plug it into a socket in a car with the ignition on, if it still doesn't work, the fuse has probably blown in the charger. Remove the charger and unscrew the plastic bit where the little springy nipple sticks out on the bit you stick into the socket. Be careful because theres a spring in there and it may ping off when you undo it. Inside there you will find a fuse, usually clear glass so you can see if the wire inside has broken due to a surge of power, if the wire is not there or broken the fuse has blown and you need another one, I usually just buy another charger at this point because I can never find a fuse with the correct dimensions. If you just want to replace the fuse, measure its length then look carefully at the metal ends on the fuse, it should have something engraved on it saying what amp/voltage the fuse is rated at, go onto ebay and search for this fuse e.g. 5A/12V 30mm fuse. Get the fuses (usually in packs of 10) fit it carefully in exactly the way it was when you took it apart including the spring and little nipple thing. Plug it back into your socket on your bike, it should now work, if it doesn't, you have probably knackered the charger, buy another one.

Hope this helps.

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:33 - 18 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the 12V socket, the -ve should be to the outer, red to the centre (the centre pin is +V in a cigarette lighter).

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/G7oAAOSwB09YCGsJ/s-l1600.jpg

If you've connected them the other way around then you've probably fried the charger.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:35 - 18 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

the inline fuse in in the black plastic bit halfway down the cable

should be a glass fuse in it which will look black and possible have a broken wire in it if its fubar

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/G7oAAOSwB09YCGsJ/s-l1600.jpg

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:40 - 18 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcane1729 wrote:
bamt wrote:
On the 12V socket, the -ve should be to the outer, red to the centre (the centre pin is +V in a cigarette lighter).

If you've connected them the other way around then you've probably fried the charger.

But how was I to know- my logic seemed sound...
The outer is the longer one and that is what I connected red to.

In all things automotive, the earth (-ve) will almost certainly go to the 'body' of the accessory - ie the bit that might touch the earthed bodywork.

Anyway, how are you powering this when you don't have a key?

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=318216&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 40 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2