Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

bugeye_bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:34 - 18 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

If it's the rear light it's usually the earth, especially if it keeps blowing bulbs.

I`ve traced it to a possible rear brake pedal switch and that is integrated into the master cylinder? ie it`s a pressure switch and not an ordinary rear brake pull switch.
I`ll work on it Smile

Can you retro fit a standard type switch ?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:08 - 18 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Fazer. wrote:
TLDR; I'm butthurt because no one can be bothered touching my chinky piece of shit.

Reminds me of when you were all butthurt because no-one would help you fix your chinky POS.

It was a Korean POS. Do they all look the same to you? Shocked

tom_e wrote:
They may have lost business but they've obviously been bitten by chinese bikes in the past

Why is that obvious? You can see the same stories from the Before Times about dealers not touching "Jap crap", even after Honda-san had comfortably exceeded Britisher reliability.

Chinese bikes aren't there yet, but it's just as likely that garages are knocking them back based on ignorance rather than experience.

OP, did you tell them that they'd lost your business indefinitely?

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 12:03 - 18 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't blame them, maybe they've found Chinese bikes to be more trouble than they're worth.

All businesses have to learn when to say “No”. I was formerly self-employed and, in my experience, some jobs just aren't worth taking on.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:05 - 18 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago I had a garage one street away refuse to look at a Fiat that had no electrical power. It was a corroded earth to the engine that took an auto electrician less than 5 minutes to find.
More recently another garage I'd used for years refused to replace an egr on a Jeep (because it was a ball ache job). They also refused to change out the TPMS sensors on the same Jeep as a couple of the aluminium stems had corroded tight and wouldn't unscrew. I drilled them out myself in the end, took an extra 2 minutes, but they couldn't be arsed with it.
I won't use either now, not necessarily because they turned the work down, but more the way they did it. Kinda arrogant, not our problem mate.
Fck em. My money goes elsewhere.
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:22 - 19 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugeye_bob wrote:
pepperami wrote:

I`ve traced it to a possible rear brake pedal switch and that is integrated into the master cylinder? ie it`s a pressure switch and not an ordinary rear brake pull switch.
I`ll work on it Smile

Can you retro fit a standard type switch ?

You`ve read my mind and that is what I`m working on Thumbs Up

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:37 - 20 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Rogerborg/]
OP, did you tell them that they'd lost your business indefinitely?[/quote]

No I can't be arsed to make it into an issue with them, I'll just man up and do it myself.
I don't want them as enemies as maybe some time in the future when I am really pressed I might need to go in there.

What I find strange is that bike shops appear to be putting their heads in the sand regarding Chinese bikes.
I doubt very much that Chinese bike are going to disappear.
So surely the smart thing to do would be to get to know this product and profit from it.
We all know that some Chinese bikes are pants maybe even a lot of them, but we also know that Chinese bikes are improving.
Yes I have a few issues to sort out on my one, but the build quality seems to be fine.
I've had bikes a lot worse than my Honley in the past and none of them were Chinese.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 20:53 - 20 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:

What I find strange is that bike shops appear to be putting their heads in the sand regarding Chinese bikes.

It seems they've done the opposite - they've looked at them and decided it's not an area they want their business involved in.

Quote:

I doubt very much that Chinese bike are going to disappear.
So surely the smart thing to do would be to get to know this product and profit from it.

Which product? Just the one in question you have, or all of them?

Sure, a lot are similar.

I'm sure if you took the time (and thus money), you could get a very good idea of what's going on, which models were the same and different, which parts from which manufactures fit others etc.

But that's a big investment in something in which while the typical consumer may not be great with their money, they also probably don't have a lot of it to spend.[/quote]

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:50 - 21 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
It seems they've done the opposite - they've looked at them and decided it's not an area they want their business involved in.

I'd question any assumption that they've looked beyond the badge.

rubyhorse2
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:29 - 21 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

my view on all dealers is that they just want to sell bikes, they dont actually care about any kind of after sales service.

i'm very lucky in that 5 mins up the road from home i have a dedicated bike garage which is run by the most genuine chap i've ever met. Knows pretty much everything about any bike and is more than happy to spare his time to help you out.

its a real shame there arent many of these around anymore

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:51 - 21 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

rubyhorse2 wrote:
my view on all dealers is that they just want to sell bikes, they dont actually care about any kind of after sales service.

i'm very lucky in that 5 mins up the road from home i have a dedicated bike garage which is run by the most genuine chap i've ever met. Knows pretty much everything about any bike and is more than happy to spare his time to help you out.

its a real shame there arent many of these around anymore

There aren't because bikers are not willing to splash the cash on places like that and because of what bikers are like IMO. New and well off bike owners go back to the dealers. Others like to do the work themselves except when they can't and that usually involves a headache for shops and then bikers moan when it costs an arm and a leg to get it fixed. Car owners just pay up.

A 10 year old car, chances are it's still manufacturers spec. A 10 year old bike will have been bodged x many times by it owner(s)

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:56 - 21 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
G wrote:

I'd question any assumption that they've looked beyond the badge.

And I'm not surprised. Working on a bike that costs a grand new and then they give the owner a £200 quid bill for what they have done, the owner is going to kick off. If the bike is worth £5000 and the owner gets a £200 quid bill, that's acceptable.

Labour rates don't change because it's a Chinese bike.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:28 - 21 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

And I'm not surprised. Working on a bike that costs a grand new and then they give the owner a £200 quid bill.

Absolutely correct.
And there lies my disappointment, I was prepared to pay the going rate for my local dealer to assist a regular customer.

Funny how the same dealer will work on a Yamaha YRB or a Honda CBF 125 and one is made in China and the other is made in India.
Having seen the state of a couple of 125 CBF's around here, I know the build quality of my Chinese bike is better than that.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 16:38 - 21 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:

Funny how the same dealer will work on a Yamaha YRB or a Honda CBF 125 and one is made in China and the other is made in India.

It's not where they're made I'd expect, but that he can get quickly easily get parts and a manual if needed that should very closely resemble what's needed for that bike.
Just establishing where you should ask for Chinese bikes is often complicated.

Then you've got to consider if you trust the supplier of those parts - if your Honda part fails in five months and you get a problem, you can pass that onto Honda. That's a lot less likely the case for Chinese bikes.

Waaarrrggghhh
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 16:56 - 21 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a real bike instead of this chinese crap.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:53 - 21 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waaarrrggghhh wrote:
Get a real bike instead of this chinese crap.

I've got a real bike (Kawasaki ZX6r) , but that's not what this thread is about Rolling Eyes
I thought this was BIKE Chat Forums, about all bikes.

My bad for not knowing that Chinese bikes are excluded!

Of course , you could always read another thread and ignore me Thumbs Up

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 19:12 - 21 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are you? I'd be happy to have a look if you are nearby.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:42 - 21 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:

My bad for not knowing that Chinese bikes are excluded!

I wouldn't worry, this is coming from someone who has...
Quote:
Never ridden anything higher than a 125

and that presumably...
Quote:
Sometimes when I am turning left (more sharp left corners) the engine goes BANG very loudly

You should have got one of those 'real' bikes! Razz
Laughing

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:06 - 21 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:

Thank you I'm in Suffolk. Thumbs Up

I'm going to try and strong arm my brother into helping.

Do you mind if I keep you in mind Thumbs Up

Alex A
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:38 - 21 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

And I'm not surprised. Working on a bike that costs a grand new and then they give the owner a £200 quid bill.

Absolutely correct.
And there lies my disappointment, I was prepared to pay the going rate for my local dealer to assist a regular customer.

Having seen the state of a couple of 125 CBF's around here, I know the build quality of my Chinese bike is better than that.

But it's not actually about build quality, is it?

It's about the availability and supply of service manuals, schematics, part numbers, OEM parts, and (where applicable) data interfaces. The dealer/mechanic needs to know that they can quickly and reliably identify exactly what parts are required, and get hold of virtually any OEM part (or exact equivalent) at short notice. They also need reference information (assembly instructions, wiring diagrams, torque values, service schedules, job times etc). In essence, the manufacturer needs to support their product, and provide franchised and other repair agents with the resources and information that is required for the correct and expedient service and repair of their vehicles.

Unless I'm mistaken, you get all of that with 'established' manufacturers, and very little (if any) of that with Chinese manufacturers.

Add in the fact that, by definition, most owners of cheap bikes don't want to (or aren't able to) spend much, then it's destined to be a high risk, low value market.

It would (IMO) be foolish to inconvenience yourself and boycott a business which has provided a quality service in the past, because of their quite reasonable and rational decision not to service a particular market.

Perhaps the time will come when it's not such an issue, but manufacturers need to do their bit, and build a proper dealer and support network. Of course, the bikes might then cost just as much as the Japanese/European equivalents.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 21:25 - 21 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
chris-red wrote:

Thank you I'm in Suffolk. Thumbs Up

I'm going to try and strong arm my brother into helping.

Do you mind if I keep you in mind Thumbs Up

I'm in Hornchurch Essex so not a million miles away the offer is there.

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:33 - 23 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motorcycle mechanics tend to dislike electrical work as it's not spannering. It's probably true across most mechanical disciplines. I have automotive engineering and Comp-Sci, the bit in the middle is kinda hobby level at best, but finding an intermittent electrical fault is just a ball-ache. If the mechanic is attatched to a dealer, remember that there is a conflict of interest. The nicest I thing I can say about the local J&S mechanic that sorted a puncture in an emergency for me was he had a bad attitude.

Find a good independent if you can.

The fact is thought I've had electrical problems take days to find on old bikes. Be prepared to rebuild sections of loom and for more things to fail when you wiggle connectors. Ebay is a good source of replacement spade/blade and bullet connectors. Just be methodical and have a good multimeter and a testlight. An spare indicator works well as a testlight.

davebike
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:23 - 23 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A perspective from a trader

I been in the trade over 30years and run a workshop do a little buy and sell but core is servicing and repairs

We do not do the Chinese bikes or other odd makes for three reasons

1 no easy access to part
2 no easy access to data manuals wiring diagrams etc
3 customers who thing it was a cheap buy it will be cheap to repair

And the "You worked on it last it must be you fault it got more problems" the main reason most workshop near me will not help

There was a local place the did tackle them but they charged a lot as they expected to spend as much time sorting part and data as working on the bike !
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 35 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2