30%
 30%  [ 29 ]
230kg +
28%
 28%  [ 27 ]
Total Votes : 95

Rogue_Shadow
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:15 - 17 Feb 2017    Post subject: Do You Even Lift ! - Bike Weight Reply with quote

Hello BCF,

I'm looking to swap the SV for something else this year Dance!
However a lot of the bikes I'm considering are a lot heavier than my SV, which doesn't take much.
Top contender currently is the new style Versys 650 which weighs in at 214kg.
Compared to the 175kg of my SV, the Versys is a tank!
With most other bikes I'm considering all in the same ballpark for weight & being taller/harder to flat foot for manually moving ...
What do you lot consider a heavy bike for any everyday bike?
I'm obviously not taking the likes of Goldwings or Pans Very Happy

I would be interested to hear how people handled the transition to a heavier bike. Most of us trade up from a light 125 to a heavier 600, yet the next weight class up doesn't seem as manageable to me for some reason.

Cheers

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:20 - 17 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

When a bike is moving, weight is not that important to be fair.
It's only when reversing that it becomes apparent what my bike weighs.

I try to never reverse.

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:22 - 17 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Street Triple weighs about the same as my SV did, but feels a ton lighter as I'm guessing it's better balanced. I dont think weight is the be all and end all.

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:29 - 17 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The vfr is listed as 267 kg wet, which is believable. Although she carries it well and up front.. Shifty Just needs a firm hand that's all.

Wink

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:30 - 17 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 2-3 months ago I got a ZR7S that weights 210kg approx after a couple of years on a 120kg tiddler and in truth beside small teething problems of getting used to going into hulk mode and pushing the thing up the path I now think nothing of it. Funny thing is, as today confirmed, most of that was probably just the brakes needing cleaning and I neglected to note the idea because new to me bike and just figured hard to push. The think fly's, cough, and is easy to push around now, who knew.

Unless you think that kind of weight is going to be to much then just go for it as the only time you notice it is when you attempt to push it around. Perhaps 2-3 months is long enough to get used to it but I don't really find my bike all that overpowering. Looks like a big scary thing but fits me just right and does what you want it to.

I sat on a Bandit 600 but felt the weight was too much, could be perhaps where the bike carries its weight. Best bet is to do as I did, with the ZR, and try and wheel the thing around in the shop. Get on and off and take it of the sidestand and see how you feel at stand still with it between your legs. Move backwards by using leg power and so on. In truth if I didn't flat foot as comfortably as I do then perhaps I'd either look at a lower kit or something else.

Only time weight has been a serious issue was in the bad weather when the paths iced over and I spent a good 10-15 minutes fighting with it all to get from the road to my gateway so storage is defiantly something to consider, the easier you've got it to just ride in / ride out the more ideal it is. I've left the bike alone in bad weather because my icy path / road is worse than the others around and once was enough.

On the move I've noticed nothing and on windy days it helps, the extra weight. Or is that the fairing, who knows.

Yes I use my bike "everyday", ie: whenever I ride.

SV650 felt like kids bike to me and was too small and felt like was going to headbutt tank. Just to say what I think of you current bike compared to what I own.

As long as you feel comfortable on it and pushing it around then go for it. There are plenty of options and there's no need to buy a bike that weights the same as a herd of elephants if you're not comfortable with it.

JonE
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:33 - 17 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bikes are a bit like women some carry a bit more weight better than others, my Transalp is around 200kg wet* the VFR750 is around 240kg but in most circumstances the Viffer carries it better due to lower centre of gravity etc.

*am now wondering if like bikes women weigh more when wet Thumbs Up
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Boring). Unhide this post / all posts.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:37 - 17 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fazer. wrote:
I can lift anything with my cock.

Lego land

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 23:42 - 17 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The strumpet (and the exup that preceeded it) weigh a fuckload. I is a 10 stone weakling.

It's all about balance and being aware that you don't have a hope of holding it up if it starts to go down.

The most important thing to remember that the power of the bigger bikes is your friend. If it feels like it's about to fall over whilst manouvering at slow speed, give it a handful of gas. The bike will stand back up again.

I haven't tried this going backwards....

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:47 - 17 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've pretty much established 200ish kg to be my limit. Bandit 600 (220kg), CBF1000 (240kg) both felt really top heavy and I felt like I was going to drop them at low speed. I don't have a problem with my bike at 191kg, but I do want something lighter in future, it's still a lot of weight to wheel about. Also bikes do carry their weight differently.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:55 - 17 Feb 2017    Post subject: Re: Do You Even Lift ! - Bike Weight Reply with quote

Rogue_Shadow wrote:
Hello BCF,

I'm looking to swap the SV for something else this year Dance!
However a lot of the bikes I'm considering are a lot heavier than my SV, which doesn't take much.
Top contender currently is the new style Versys 650 which weighs in at 214kg.
Compared to the 175kg of my SV, the Versys is a tank!
With most other bikes I'm considering all in the same ballpark for weight & being taller/harder to flat foot for manually moving ...
What do you lot consider a heavy bike for any everyday bike?
I'm obviously not taking the likes of Goldwings or Pans Very Happy

I would be interested to hear how people handled the transition to a heavier bike. Most of us trade up from a light 125 to a heavier 600, yet the next weight class up doesn't seem as manageable to me for some reason.

Cheers

Why not, I've had both as everyday bikes and couriered a Z1300, so it's not out of the question.

The only time I've ever considered weight was when buying a trail bike, even then I bought something a lot of people think would be too heavy.

As someone else said, it's all about balance - I could ride my Goldwing, feet up, at slow walking pace, because it had the torque to waffle along at no throttle and all the significant weight was low
down.

Forget the stats, sit on the bikes you like and see how they feel; if they intimidate you, move on to the next thing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:57 - 17 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is 295kg. That is only really noticeable when walking it about but I just lean it against my thigh as I move it.

When on the move you don't notice it but if it started to fall I suspect I wouldn't be able to stop it, just let it down as slowly as possible.

My Goldwing 1800 was 400kg fully fuelled but didn't feel anything like that as all the weight was very low. Flat 6 engine, fuel tank under the seat. It also had reverse which was a godsend Dance!

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 00:04 - 18 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres a inch and a half step into my garage, which is a giggle when you have to reverse into it because it's up hill out of the garage and there's nowhere to turn it round if you ride in.

I do it every day....

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 00:05 - 18 Feb 2017    Post subject: Re: Do You Even Lift ! - Bike Weight Reply with quote

Rogue_Shadow wrote:
Compared to the 175kg of my SV

I prefer to run my bikes with coolant, oil and petrol in them, but follow your heart.

How a bike carries its weight is important. My ~200kg carries its weight low down and feels stable rather than heavy. Until you try pushing it uphill.

You'll have to try your candidates and see how you get on.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:14 - 18 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only ever once had a problem with a bike's weight, but managed to get myself out of the situation anyway. If you don't let your own stupidity get the better of you, like I did that time, the weight of your bike shouldn't be a problem. In other words, don't get yourself into a situation where it becomes a problem in the first place.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:18 - 18 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much time did you spend on the Versys? A quick ride won't give a proper impression.

Extra weight really doesn't make much difference, unless you are pushing the bike around - when, as Polarbear says about his Trophy you learn to keep it leant against you as you move it, and you make damn sure you don't have to push it backwards up a hill so always make sure you know your exit route when parking up.

It just takes a couple of rides to get used to it. My Pan 1300 is my daily ride, I really don't notice the weight at all when moving - though it felt like a super-tanker the first time I rode it, the seating position just felt absolutely right and I knew it would be the right one for me. For reference, 330kg is a Versys and a half.

Kaya75
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 00:32 - 18 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post 45 degrees at a standstill and everything is too heavy, it's why our cocks dangle... (Maybe).

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:40 - 18 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Spacker is 188kg wet or thereabouts, pretty low for an 850cc bike Thumbs Up Got out on mine today for an hour Thumbs Up
Jet powered BMX Mr. Green Had a very enjoyable brap.

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:44 - 18 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamaha XJ6N is 205KG full curb weight. She's heavy when you hoik her off the the stand, but once you have the weight over the wheels, nothing to her and she rides fine.

She's a bitch reversing, not because of the weight, but I have little legs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:51 - 18 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all about the leverage. Higher the handlebars are, easier the manipulation with the motorcycle is. Thumbs Up

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:53 - 18 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 125 is 99kg dry in standard form, and mine must be 2kg or so lighter due to aftermarket parts and removed equipment. I have so idea what it is wet, but I only run it with 4.5litres of fuel in at a time.

Its great to have a feather weight bike that I can lift either end easily up onto a stand etc. I've had bikes around 200kg wet in the past and had no problems or issues with moving them around or pushing them up the drive etc.

I agree with Shaft in that having a light bike is only important or preferable for off roading or maybe if you don't do any proper riding. E.g say you have a 50cc scoot kept in your house hallway and ride it two miles in and out of city traffic to work, before parking it in a small shed or building etc.

But it's good that for proper riding that Weight is not a big issue, as im still longing to own a modified Kawasaki Z1300 for weekend use and summer touring etc. I read the latest issue of classic mechanics mag tonight, and saw the retro reboot feature, of an updated Z1300. Its the most excited and spunky I've been over a motorbike for bloody ages! Laughing

I'd still like a trick Italian 125 competition supermoto bike as a more realistic practical machine, but after such an everyday reliable 38bhp commuter, a Z1300 would be a very close second and great for everything a noisy smelly smoker isn't good for IMO. The two perfect machines?
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 03:12 - 18 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Save 'Paddling' for the beach. Want to shift a bike? Use the motor or get off the damn saddle! This is basic CBT stuff!

In the saddle, EVEN if you can flat-foot both sides and naively believe that is an advantage.... it isn't.

Straddling, you can only ever have one foot taking any weight, it can never be more than a foot or so from the center line, and you have to both prop and push with it.

OFF the bike; you have both feet on the floor taking weight; they can be much further from the wheels, hence give yourself a much bigger stability base, plus you are stood up, with most mobility and best leverage to effect control over the bike AND you have one foot to prop and one to push, plus your arms.....

IF you want to make it easy and safe, shoving bikes about THAT is how you do it. Paddling is just 'lazy'.

IF you want to paddle? Well, you are chucking away 99% of all the advantage you have over the bike before you start.. and bike being a little lighter WONT help much if any.

The seven-fifty is in that 200-250Kg bracket, 'err bludy guzzi the 150-200 one, the tiddler's in the sub 150' region.... BUT, that weight is normally supported by the wheels.

I have, for the last two days been trying to find where 'the girls' have hidden 'that lyin bastid'.. otherwise known as the bathroom scales, to demo this one for FAQ's.... but I think he's run away!! However... if I stuck them under the side-stand, the actual weight that is being supported by the stand, or by you when you are man handling or propping it at rest, IS relatively tiny....

I mean, 2-up, loaded with camping gear, the seven-fifty is carrying somewhere between 1/3 & 1/2 a ton! That's like balancing a ford Kia on an ice skate! But, propping that up at a set of traffic lights, I am taking less weight through my left boot that tip-toe pressure..

The weight, makes little odds, it is all in the balence and your technique... sure, takes its toll if you are trying to shove it up a hill to a petrol station or up a ramp into a van.... BUT, even then there's far more in the 'technique' than in the bikes stats... and that starts with saving paddling for the bludy beach! Don't be lazy, get off and push!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Flatbadger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:52 - 18 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a Versys a while back, it was a shock coming from a 125 but I can lift it up and shove the back end about a bit now (whilst off the bike of course)..

I nearly dropped it just after I bought it (the seller was walking away and didn't see); the camber and clutch ganged up on me but I caught it in time. No problems since though.

Now the Versys is normal and the 125 is titchy Laughing

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 10:00 - 18 Feb 2017    Post subject: Re: Do You Even Lift ! - Bike Weight Reply with quote

From 20kg-200kg or so.

As everyone's said; it's just the man handling it that's the problem - ie pushing up a slope without the engine etc.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 40 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2