Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Slow idle at 40-70C and sometimes poor acceleration from 0 ?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

ko5i
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:31 - 18 Feb 2017    Post subject: Slow idle at 40-70C and sometimes poor acceleration from 0 ? Reply with quote

Hi all.
Recently i noticed that my bikes idle is ok when its LOW'' but when it hits about 40C the idle is at around 1000 where it should be at 1300RPM.
When i rev it up [not red line just give it a gas on clutch to for example 4k rpm] then it barely keeps going as it goes to 1000 maybe slightly under that and catches up.
Its happening up to about 70C and after is fine all alright idle is 1250ish all is good only happens at 40-70 but if i remember before it didnt do such thing.

Also another problem i noticed recently is that when i try to accelerate fast not saying red line and all but just to speed up quickly then it seems to be [i dont know how to describe it] bogging ? dying ? clogging ? the bike sounds all good and then you accelerate and it gets more silent not much power but still accelerates but then after sec or so it gets back to normal and accelerates good..

Seems like maybe air filter is dirty or something ? what do you guys think about it ?

Thanks !

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:25 - 18 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go on give us a clue to which machine your talking?

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:50 - 18 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaffa90 wrote:
Go on give us a clue to which machine your talking?

3 guesses..

First guess..xj6n 2013

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:00 - 18 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are you measuring the temperature of the engine?

You'd normally expect it to be running more than 100c.

ko5i
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:13 - 18 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes sorry the bike is xj6 2013

And the temperature just shows on dash LOW means its below 40C and when LOW is gone then it starts showing 40c on LOW temperature the idle is good about 1300/1400 depends how cold is it But from 40-70 C the idle is low about 1000 and you can hear the bike isnt really running good sounds like jumping idle but it doesnt jump that much as it sounds jumps around 1000-1100 but when you give throttle to 1300 then it runs good
after 70C it runs all good idle speed steady

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:06 - 19 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your bike is fuel injected with many sensors telling the brain (ecu) what to do, you have a weak mixture when it`s bogging and the idle speed should be 1,000 to 1,050 and no more when warmed up.
It could be contaminated fuel so try another fuel station first using super unleaded and keep away from supermarket crap.

ko5i
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:54 - 19 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

i always fill up with shell vpower one but i think recently i used bp one if im not mistaking but getting to idle speed even in manual says it should be 1200-1300 when idling and from what i remember it happened about the times when it was super cold freezing that the idle after 40c is 1000 and when you pull throttle a bit it and let it go down [like small quick rev up to let say 4k rpm then it drops to 1k rpm and nearly dies but after 70c its all good so this is what makes me wonder why is that

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 14:57 - 19 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop wasting cash with V power and just use regular.

"Supermarket crap" is all I've ever used. Just have a quick service, check your plugs and go give the bike a good razz down the road.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:46 - 19 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Supermarket crap" is old fuel without additives and is crap for storing without use like bikes / lawnmowers e.c.t. Also contains max Ethanol content.
Your bike has a faulty sensor/s giving varying idle speed.
I`ve umpteen bikes with carbs / fuel injection and cars as well and none of them had an idle speed more than 1,000rpm.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:16 - 19 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaffa90 wrote:
"Supermarket crap" is old fuel without additives and is crap for storing without use like bikes / lawnmowers e.c.t. Also contains max Ethanol content.

Yet the majority of people have no issues at all with it...... even to the point of no difference to MPG or running. 3 bikes & 3 cars All have run on supermarket fuel, with a change to shell or BP and at no point have any of them given better MPG or felt and cleaner running.

jaffa90 wrote:

Your bike has a faulty sensor/s giving varying idle speed.

Possible

jaffa90 wrote:

I`ve umpteen bikes with carbs / fuel injection and cars as well and none of them had an idle speed more than 1,000rpm.

But if you open the choke to start from cold... You get higher rev's.

Op states that rev's are higher when cold. Once warm they drop.

I would say that so long as it does not stall, then leave well alone.

But Op does not say how long since last service. It may be that it simply want a good service... Or a nice Italian tune up Wink

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:42 - 19 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaffa90 wrote:

The strumpet ticks over at 1.1k when warm.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 19:52 - 19 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bikes warm idle is 1250... Cold it's 1750 and works its way down gradually. The triple is about 2k and works down to like... 1100.

Sounds like you speak anus.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:58 - 19 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
My bikes warm idle is 1250... Cold it's 1750 and works its way down gradually. The triple is about 2k and works down to like... 1100.

Sounds like you speak anus.

You wonder how Jaffa managed 2 gold blobs with the utter shite he spouts....

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:47 - 19 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

There`s no need to have engines idling at more than 1,000rpm when warmed up, why 1100rpm or 1250rpm?
The faster the idle and more crunch you have engaging first gear like having the choke on.
Carry on storing / using supermarket crap and i`ll buy the non starters / runners the year after.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:07 - 19 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="jaffa90"
Carry on storing / using supermarket crap and i`ll buy the non starters / runners the year after.[/quote]

You will have a long wait then.. My current bike is 10 years old and I have had it for 7 so far with no issues Laughing

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 23:56 - 19 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fuel is fine.

My bike hasn't been touched and runs at the speed. I've not even considered looking for any form of adjustment and it runs fine. I have no real crunch.

ko5i
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 00:26 - 20 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys misunderstand me mostly
I said that ''my bikes idle is ok when its LOW'' but when it hits about 40C the idle is at around 1000 where it should be at 1300RPM.''
that means when its LOW it works it self up automatically i think 1500-1600ish rpm but as soon as it hits about 43C its drops to 1000rpms and barely idle when i rev up a bit, and its happening up to about 70C and when its properly warmed up after 70C the idle is alright.

I thought it might be air filter or something i dont know i will test it tomorrow maybe see in detail.
i will try to ignore as one said since it doesnt stall leave it.
but in case will just check air filter when i will be low on fuel so tank would be lighter to lift

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:26 - 20 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's crunching engaging gear on fast idle / choke then it suggests the clutch needs attention. I'm about to rebuild the clutch on my 1100 for this very reason. It's a clutch fault, nothing to do with idle speed.

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:57 - 20 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT200Fan79 wrote:
If it's crunching engaging gear on fast idle / choke then it suggests the clutch needs attention. I'm about to rebuild the clutch on my 1100 for this very reason. It's a clutch fault, nothing to do with idle speed.

What`s the idle / tickover revs on your 1100?

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:50 - 20 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaffa90 wrote:
GT200Fan79 wrote:

What`s the idle / tickover revs on your 1100?

About 1300 with lights off, otherwise it struggles to hold Idle when lights are on (about 1000rpm). The issue is that it idles and 2.5k on choke which makes the clutch drag like fuck.

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:16 - 20 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Nobby & Paddy, Just started the fuel injected bike up after 4 weeks, pic of tacho on tickover / idle.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:38 - 20 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unsure why you are showing me, what engine is in there....

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:48 - 20 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engine, makes no difference i`ve had plenty, you look to have a few bikes why are yours on fast idle?

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:51 - 20 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaffa90 wrote:
Engine, makes no difference i`ve had plenty, you look to have a few bikes why are yours on fast idle?

I've also had plenty, check profile Wink

I'll check my Triple as its outside right now..

Monkeywrenche...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 18:01 - 20 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaffa90 wrote:

my xsr idles at 1200rpm, manufacturers spec, why would you assume all manufacturers and all models across the range would be the same?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 66 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2