Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Smelly gloves!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Petemate
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:46 - 18 Feb 2017    Post subject: Smelly gloves! Reply with quote

Used to have this in my courier days and can't remember how I got round it (probably didn't)
I am currently using a pair of Sports Direct Ski gloves, they were on special offer and they really are both waterproof and OK in sub zero temperatures. But - oh, my hands pong after even a short ride. I have tried spraying Fabreze in them overnight - no good. I am even stowing a 'tree' type car air freshener in each glove overnight - slight improvement but the problem still persists.
I know I should have a proper pair of motorcycling gloves but I have tried in vain loads of gloves at various shows and can't find any (within my budget) which are comfortable. So some sort of treatment is needed. In my courier days I did have a top brand of glove but can't remember which. (well, it WAS over 22 years ago!!)
Any ideas? What do you all do about this?
TIA
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:56 - 18 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.dettol.co.uk/products/disinfecting-sprays/dettol-all-in-one-disinfectant-spray/
Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Petemate
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:59 - 18 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
https://www.dettol.co.uk/products/disinfecting-sprays/dettol-all-in-one-disinfectant-spray/
Thumbs Up

Cheers Kawasaki Jimbo - I will try yet. I've also done a Google and someone mentioned wash in a mild Milton solution. I'll try the Dettol first.
Cheers!
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:37 - 18 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try chucking them in the washing machine on a delicate setting with some disinfecting washing detergent.

I did this to my leathers (boots and all) after they got totally soaked during a trip to Ireland and stunk to high heaven. Worked a treat.

I think the washing detergent I used was a dettol branded one.

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.

Analogkid
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:08 - 18 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valet pro enzyme odour eater, brilliant stuff, gets rid of cig smell from cars, no matter how smelly, works great on leather boxing gloves, not needed it for bike gloves yet. Fantastic stuff that actually digests the bacteria causing the smell, the link is to a 1l concentrate that makes 5l when diluted with tap water, lasts for ages, I use mine to fill an old autglym 500ml spray bottle that sits nicely in my dooor bin in the car.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/262063543992?lpid=122&chn=ps&adgroupid=35352091421&rlsatarget=pla-278944605344&adtype=pla&poi=&googleloc=9046907&device=t&campaignid=738466455&crdt=0&ul_ref=http%253A%252F%252Frover.ebay.com%252Frover%252F1%252F710-134428-41853-0%252F2%253Fmtid%253D1673%2526kwid%253D1%2526crlp%253D172719294431_563391%2526itemid%253D262063543992%2526targetid%253D278944605344%2526device%253Dt%2526mpre%253Dhttp%25253a%25252f%25252fwww.ebay.co.uk%25252fitm%25252flike%25252f262063543992%25253flpid%25253d122%252526chn%25253Dps%2526adtype%253Dpla%2526googleloc%253D9046907%2526poi%253D%2526campaignid%253D738466455%2526adgroupid%253D35352091421%2526rlsatarget%253Dpla-278944605344%2526gclid%253DCjwKEAiA_p_FBRCRi_mW5Myl4S0SJAAkezZrLZ9Cdz5U7brdbFo4yTS_LiTKkgj59np14CpufVlQexoCNITw_wcB%2526srcrot%253D710-134428-41853-0%2526rvr_id%253D1170088903946

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:05 - 18 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Analogkid wrote:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262063543992

FTFY Smile

Allegedly, sticking them in the freezer is supposed to do the trick (as that - allegedly - nobbles the aforementioned bacteria). Never tried it though

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:10 - 18 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave70 wrote:
Try chucking them in the washing machine on a delicate setting with some disinfecting washing detergent.

Gonna have to disagree there, not based on scientific fact, but a recent fuckup.
I recently chucked a fairly new pair of leather gloves in a bucket full of water and a bar of soap. (they had cat hairs all over em and I'm allergic to those fluffy fuckers)

After 2 days I took em out and the leather around one of the seems has eroded back to the grey stuff.
Not sure what's in soap, but it didn't go well.

EDIT: there was also a pair of textile motorcycle gloves in the bucket too, the stitching came away after the soak, not sure if related or not though.

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.

Last edited by Commuter_Tim on 21:06 - 18 Feb 2017; edited 1 time in total

Dave V4
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:27 - 18 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuck them in the bin and get a pair of decent bike specific gloves, yours will fall apart in an off

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:48 - 18 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freezer to kill bacteria, behind the radiator to dry them out afterwards.
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Dave V4
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:26 - 18 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fazer. wrote:
Dave V4 wrote:
chuck them in the bin and get a pair of decent bike specific gloves, yours will fall apart in an off

No they won't. Rolling Eyes

sports direct are shit at the best of times, buggered if I would buy a pair of ski gloves from there to wear on a bike, you are welcome to wear what the fuck you like but the op asked for opinions and I gave mine

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:09 - 18 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commuter_Tim wrote:
Dave70 wrote:

Gonna have to disagree there, not based on scientific fact, but a recent fuckup.
I recently chucked a fairly new pair of leather gloves in a bucket full of water and a bar of soap. (they had cat hairs all over em and I'm allergic to those fluffy fuckers)

After 2 days I took em out and the leather around one of the seems has eroded back to the grey stuff.

EDIT: there was also a pair of textile motorcycle gloves in the bucket too, the stitching came away after the soak, not sure if related or not though.

Maybe 2 days was too long? Smile

A tip I got off here was to cover your hands in anti-bacterial gel and put your gloves on. I didn't expect to work but it did.

The washing machine doesn't seem to be that effective when the gloves are really stinky. I think over time it also shrinks your gloves; I can't get them on with my inner gloves anymore, also I had something run onto the gloves last time which has made the fingers really slippy in the rain Confused

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:17 - 18 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antibacterial spray for shoes or similar should work.

Also don't put them in your helmet if they stink that bad.

wots
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:38 - 18 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried a few things, nothing really worked.

Bought these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400508685402

Never looked back. The key is Goretex. Mine were always bad after getting wet then wearing and would just stink. No such problems with these. Well worth the money. Spend the extra on the gloves, rather than methods to keep them from being smelly.

Analogkid
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:12 - 18 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

With my daughters leather boxing gloves I tried baking them in the oven, freezing them overnight, antibacterial sprays like detox and febreeze, nothing took the smell away, cooking reduced it slightly, but the sprays just masked it for a day or so. The Enxyme stuff I liked to above did the trick, no smell, nada, well except the lemon scent from the spray, if it gets rid of tobacco smells from a car it will work on your gloves.

Petemate
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:47 - 18 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave V4 wrote:
sports direct are shit at the best of times, buggered if I would buy a pair of ski gloves from there to wear on a bike, you are welcome to wear what the fuck you like but the op asked for opinions and I gave mine

Fair comment Dave V4. Regrettably, I am on a strict budget, being retired and on a pension. I only ride a small bike; if I were on anything bigger, like the bikes I used to ride years ago, well I would of course be spending large amounts of dosh on full gear, which of course I used to and could claim it back on expenses. But now the only choice I have is to do what I am doing now, or give up riding, but I do know that an 'off' on any bike can bring the same results. A chance I take.

I will persevere with the gloves but appreciate what you say.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:25 - 19 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commuter_Tim wrote:
Dave70 wrote:

Do all your washing like this? Laughing doing the above will cause it to rot.

I often washed my alpinestar sp8's with detergent. 10-15 minutes, squeze excess water out and hang to dry. They lasted a long time, 4 years.

Id recommend OP replace ski gloves with muffs and summer gloves. It will be warm enough and far nicer.

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:35 - 19 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commuter_Tim wrote:
Dave70 wrote:

Disagree away.

Your scenario is nothing like the advice/experience that I gave though.

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:46 - 19 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, further to my earlier post, here comes the science bit. The stink is from the waste products of bacteria which thrive on sweat and skin cells in a warm, moist environment. Launder the gloves at less than boil wash and you'll only remove some of the dirt and bacteria unless you use an anti-bacterial laundry cleanser as Dave70 said. When you inevitably dry the gloves you're creating a warm, moist environment for any surviving bacteria to again thrive and cause a stink.

The same goes for when you put a garment in a freezer. As the fabric cools water condenses on it, then freezes. When subsequently thawed the water is again available for the revived bacteria to thrive.

There are parallels with face flannels which will stink in a day unless rinsed in cold water and thoroughly squeezed out after use, and also with glazed buns which will keep for several days longer than bread because the sugar glaze locks away the water and so denies it to moulds.

You need to kill the bacteria. Disinfectant is the key.

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:58 - 19 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:

Do all your washing like this? Laughing doing the above will cause it to rot.

I often washed my alpinestar sp8's with detergent. 10-15 minutes, squeze excess water out and hang to dry. They lasted a long time, 4 years.

Id recommend OP replace ski gloves with muffs and summer gloves. It will be warm enough and far nicer.

Nah, but I had originally assumed the main reason people say don't put leathers or bike gloves in the machine was the tumbling/heat, rather than the soap/soaking.
Admittedly I only intended to leave them in there a few hours originally.
With all the dander on them they were useless to me anyway.

Dave70 wrote:
Disagree away.

Your scenario is nothing like the advice/experience that I gave though.

I'm going to take this moment to distance myself from Team BodySocket, since I was basing my views on the belief that it was mainly soap at issue in the cleaning process. (present in both scenarios)
Where as he seems intent on not explaining his reasoning.

Meh, Live n learn.

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 66 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1