Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

I Forgot how to fit my kickstart inside my engine XL125 1977

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

swordheart
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:38 - 18 Feb 2017    Post subject: I Forgot how to fit my kickstart inside my engine XL125 1977 Reply with quote

I stripped my Honda XL125 engine and intended to do it within a month but of course the weeks go by and anyways I am ready to rebuild the engine, this is my problem.

I checked my Clymer manual and it says the kickstart in my engine, ( I didn't see it working when I originally bought it 4 years ago Embarassed ) is for the XL100 1977-1978, CB125S 1976-1980 and CT125 1977, but I look on CMSNL and in the diagrams it says the kickstart I have is one of 2 fitted to my model bike.

Thing is I have forgotten how to install it in my engine Embarassed could anyone help

[/img][url]https://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg579/swordheart/IMG_0318.jpg[/url][url]
[/url]https://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg579/swordheart/IMG_0317.jpg
[url]https://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg579/swordheart/IMG_0315.jpg[/url]

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:13 - 18 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Haynes manual with me now, AFAICS the XL00 kickstart mechanism is not compatible with the XL125 engine!

What exactly do you want to know?

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:13 - 19 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

swordheart wrote:
I stripped my Honda XL125 engine and intended to do it within a month but of course the weeks go by and anyways I am ready to rebuild the engine, this is my problem.

I checked my Clymer manual and it says the kickstart in my engine, ( I didn't see it working when I originally bought it 4 years ago Embarassed ) is for the XL100 1977-1978, CB125S 1976-1980 and CT125 1977, but I look on CMSNL and in the diagrams it says the kickstart I have is one of 2 fitted to my model bike.

Thing is I have forgotten how to install it in my engine Embarassed could anyone help

[/img][url]https://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg579/swordheart/IMG_0318.jpg[/url][url]
[/url]https://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg579/swordheart/IMG_0317.jpg
[url]https://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg579/swordheart/IMG_0315.jpg[/url]

First of all, in your second picture, the end of the return spring does not come through the hole you have it in.
It hooks round the horizontal edge of the casing that's perpendicular to the hole you have it in!

In your third picture, if the cases you have are for an XL125 they should have a bolt hole, through the crankcase, near the hole with the dowel, this is for a stop bolt that holds the return spring under tension!
Also in the first and third picture, what is the angled plate thing on the end of the shaft? It does not appear in any of the diagrams or photos in the Haynes manual.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:38 - 19 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ratchet plate on the end of the kickstart shaft means it from a CG125!
Is the engine OHC or pushrod?
If it's push rod it's not an original XL engine and you can ignore everything I said.

swordheart
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 12:45 - 19 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Suntan thanks for reply its a OHC very similar if not identicle to the XL125R you restored.

This is the CMSNL diagram for the XL125 engine i have

[url]https://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg579/swordheart/transmission%20%20Kickstarter.gif

The kickstart i have is the second from the right I am having problems working out how to actually fit it in the engine casing, do I have to strip the kickstart and build it into the engine casing ?? I know its difficult to explain what to do but anything would helpful. The spring hook I put through the hole you cant see in the picture but it goes up at a right angle from the spring body and is parallel with the main shaft of the kickstart so that seems to be the only place it could go.

Phil[/url]

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:17 - 19 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately my Haynes manual covers models from 1978 onward so a 1977 model is not covered.

However I'll assume it's a similar process.

The manual says:

Fit the gearbox and selector components into the left hand crankcase, first.

Away from the engine, assemble all the kickstart components onto the shaft.

The whole kickstart assembly should then be fitted to the right hand crankcase.

Here are the different procedures for the 100 and 125

XL100
"Fit the kickstart assembly into the crankcase so that the boss on the drive ratchet is set on the guide plate." (Then fit the cam chain)

XL125
"The kickstart assembly is fitted into the righthand crankcase half, the end of the return spring being located over the abutment in the crankcase casing. Once fitted, the drive ratchetshould be located in the groove, in the crankcase casting, by rotating the spindle clockwise, (viewed from the inside of the casing). The stop bolt and O-ring may now be fitted".

The ratchet plate, part 28 on the diagram, doesn't appear at all in the manual I have!

swordheart
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:03 - 19 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Suntan, the two items on the right in the diagram are the two different kickstarters for the xl125 model i have, I have rebuilt a couple of XL125 engines using the furthest right kickstarter which is very easy to install but I am now beginning to wonder if I bought a bike with an engine which has been bodged together from 2 different engines.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:43 - 19 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

swordheart wrote:

IMO, if your crankcases don't have a threaded hole, for the fitment of a stop bolt, to hold the return spring in place, then you need to have part 28 or something like it to hold the return spring tension!

This might help, has some close ups of the kickstart mechanism, although it's for an SL125

https://mysmsbd.pw/watch/Honda-SL-125-SL125-Engine-rebuild-inc-top-end-cylinder-piston_HlDL_hB3zMk.html

swordheart
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 17:51 - 19 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Suntan, that kickstart is identicle to the XL125 engines I have previously rebuilt, but that video has given me an idea, my engine casing looks identical to the one in the video so I reckon if I can manage to get a kickstart like the one in the vid I can use that instead of the one I have which I am going to have to give up on, while i was looking on ebay i noticed that kicktarters like the one i am having trouble with are listed as being for the XL125S so it probably is the wrong one. Thanks for your help Sid its much appreciated Smile

CrazyQuickDra...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 00:44 - 06 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having the exact same problem with my '77 kickstarter. Any luck installing it? I found this video~ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GB7UUjVsA4. This guy installs it like nothing in the first minute of the video.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 50 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1