Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Free indoor cycling app etc?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum
View previous topic : View next topic  

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:00 - 19 Feb 2017    Post subject: Free indoor cycling app etc? Reply with quote

Trying to sort a knackered shoulder has severely reduced the exercise I can do*, so set up the turbo trainer with the front wheel extra-raised so I don't really need to lean forward.

Any suggestions for free android apps that run through a program while recording stats from a blue tooth sensor?
Not properly serious about it as the people paying £120 a year or whatever likely are.
It's setup infront of a laptop with and extra 43" monitor, but I prefer to be watching a film on that (could use the laptop screen however) and think the PC apps need Ant+ and a dongle rather than BT Smart. Do have Ant+ sensor and a dongle, but not here unfortunately.

* I have modified a bouncy full suspension bike with an adjustable stem and bull bars pointing backwards so I can still get around on a push bike, but it takes ages to get anywhere.

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:41 - 19 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of them have a free/limited mode

The bkool simulator does decause that's what cane with my trainer.

Tacx has a basic version too.

Trainerroad is not free but can get refund in the first month of your not satisfied with it for any reason

I don't know if theres an android app but if your connecting to a pc/laptop golden cheeta is free/open source

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:43 - 19 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here a bit of a review/run down of most of the current ones
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/11/trainer-apps-guide.html

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 12:01 - 19 Feb 2017    Post subject: Re: Free indoor cycling app etc? Reply with quote

Cheers Thumbs Up.

I'd looked at quite a few of those that have free options, but as you might expect they only made the 'free trial' of the full software prominent, not that you could actually use it for free normally.

I'm sure the basic free modes will do me - will have a play later.

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:05 - 19 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah pretty much, the tacx one is fairly limited

The bkool one isnt too bad, you can do pre scheduled workouts and ride etc, but all the cool stuff costs wich i personally find a bit disgusting, that you pay somewhere between 400-1200 quid for a trainer then have to pay again for the software to use it

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:12 - 19 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's a smart turbo get on zwift.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 15:55 - 19 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was just looking at 'smart' ones, but alas not... I have fixed the resistance selector dial however Smile (despite going for the slightly more expensive one with it, I mostly just use the gears anyway.)

Seb
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:42 - 21 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I generally just fire up a GCN video and follow that by feel on the Garmin

Wull
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 15:23 - 25 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've currently got an all singing all dancing smart trainer and I don't even bother with the likes of zwift, I'm sticking to a structured programme so for longer sessions I just stick a movie on or watch videos on YouTube.

For the shorter, harder going sessions I stick music videos on YouTube.....music which helps me put in the effort that's needed.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 15:45 - 25 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

After all that, the GP has said no exercise at all, to help my dodgy shoulder recover Sad. And yes, despite that I modified the bike with reverse bull bars extended with cupboard furniture poles so I can keep my arms very relaxed, she sad I should cut that out too!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 23 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1