Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Ballsed up BIOS settings [FIXED]

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:04 - 19 Feb 2017    Post subject: Ballsed up BIOS settings [FIXED] Reply with quote

I've fucked with something I should have left alone.

Wifes laptop came with windows 8.0 on it.

It was set to boot using UEFI.

I wanted to install linux. Had to reset the BIOS to legacy so it would boot the live CD.

Installed mint linux, formatting the entire HDD.

Just been trying to activate virtualisation (AMD-V is supported by the processor but not active) so I can run windows in a virtualbox. Even managed to get the product key off the BIOS.

Now the balls up. No option to activate AMD-V in the bios so I figure it's not supported in the legacy settings. Reset it to UEFI.

Should. Not. Have. Done. That. Sinking feeling as soon as I exited the BIOS.

Now refuses to boot, no bootable media found. There is no apparent way to get into the BIOS to change it back again. When I did it before, you had to go into windows then do a special shutdown so it would restart in the BIOS settings.

I've taken the CMOS battery out on the basis that someone had to put an OS on it at some point? I do have a windows 8.1 .iso file.

I'm going to see if it'll accept a bootable USB with the 8.1 on it. If I can get it to restart into the BIOS I can set it back to legacy booting.

I'm not even sure if it'll boot up a live linux CD at this point.

Last edited by stinkwheel on 20:23 - 19 Feb 2017; edited 1 time in total

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:09 - 19 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wont bot from USB.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:24 - 19 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

CMOS reset did it. I obviously hadn't left the battery out for long enough. Mashed F2 and Del on the spash screen and the BIOS options came up!

Phew!

Still no idea why the virtualisation isn't working though.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:18 - 20 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe 'cos you enabled the F keys, if you'd done Fn and F2 you'd have been fine.

BTW Dells of late seem to only do the F2 to enter setup after a full power off, not a reboot / reset Smile

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:20 - 20 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a Packard Bell laptop and it doesn't normally allow you to go into setup when it boots on UEFI unless you shut down that way. I remember this being the problem when trying to get it to boot from a the optical drive.

The odd thing is while the CPU supports virtualisation, there is appears to be no way of actually activating it. No options in the BIOS to turn it on.

I've got virtualbox running windows 7 on my own desktop PC now (which did have said option).

All I'm trying to do is access the wifes garmin watch. I can do most things wirelessly via the router but if I want to run software updates or alter the profiles on some of the apps, I need it plugged into the garmin app which won't run on WINE.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:31 - 20 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What an *** ache. I dislike PB stuff, immensely after dealing with it for a year back in the late 90s when i worked in PCWorld.

It always feels like someone lobotomised the settings.

Mind, it seems like Garmin have joined them in the irritating corner.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:12 - 20 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:

Mind, it seems like Garmin have joined them in the irritating corner.

Indeed. The wireless connectability on this watch is frankly impressive. Walk in the door and by the time the PC is up and running, the watch has synched its data with the garmin site via my wireless router. So it has built in IP connectivity.

This means there is absolutely no reason it has to be physically plugged into a computer, and even if it does, no reason it has to use a special app to access other parts of the software. They could have just used a browser configurator like my printer, modem and router have which would have cross platform compatability.

I can only conclude they are being deliberately stupid/difficult or have been bribed by microsoft.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 59 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1