Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Tiger 800 vs Tracer 900

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

TCFA
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:52 - 19 Feb 2017    Post subject: Tiger 800 vs Tracer 900 Reply with quote

Tested them both today, having gone in last weekend to book a ride on the Tracer. Tiger was the XRT.

Obviously my impressions are a bit limited as it was a London based dealer and not great testing roads, but my tuppence worth below.

I've come off an 03 CBR600F for reference. I like it, I'm going to keep it, either turn it into a track bike or just use it when I want a bit of "sports bike" type fun. What I'm after is something adventure styled to give me more comfort on long trips and some decent luggage.

Tiger first. Definitely comfy! All felt a bit alien at first. Throttle feel very light and sensitive - I expect that is to do with it being ride by wire and not linked to a cable. Heated seats were a bit much today but could probably good if I find myself ooop north in winter. I'm short and my toes were both on the ground. Seat was on highest setting though so drop it down I think I'd be even comfier. It had an optional bigger screen on it and it all seemed to do its job. Didn't explore the modes though because it all seemed a bit convoluted. Engine lovely and smooth, and able to get a wriggle on. Felt the brakes needed a good squeeze.

Tracer next. Engine a lot stronger. And loud in a good way! Brakes much stronger too - bit too grabby in town perhaps. "A" mode felt a bit snatchy but again I was in town. Initially I didn't think I'd get on with the position as the bars felt a bit wider, but the whole thing felt a bit more familiar to me in terms of engine, braking and handling. I could tell it would be all the fun that the reviewers say it is. That said though, seat felt fecking uncomfortable on my bony arse (tho ergos otherwise felt a bit better). Right foot kept brushing engine casing when off the peg or looking for back brake. Cheaper than the trumpet, and definitely a bit larier, but down on comfort and civility and if I bought it, I'd end up spending cash on panniers, better seat, bigger hand guards, screen etc. Not sure I could do distance on it without doing something about the seat (air hawk like on CBR at very least, but this is a taller bike and so might not be suitable). Trumpet has all that I need.

I think if I was getting rid of the CBR, I would go for the Tracer as it's got that sportiness that I would be losing, but as I'm planning to keep it, I think I'll go for the fuller plusher package of the trumpet. Let you know how I get on on a better road, and if I think that it's lacking - but I think I'll be pretty happy.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:29 - 19 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not that knowledgable about the Tracer, but isn't the Street Triple more of a comparison than the Tiger 800?

Interesting write up though Thumbs Up

Rogue_Shadow
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:20 - 19 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://forum.arcadecontrols.com/Smileys/default/pics.gif

Tracer 900 (MT09 Tracer)

https://images.mcn.bauercdn.com/pagefiles/520799/tracer-2.jpg

Tiger 800 XRT

https://www.sagmart.com/other_images/triumph-tiger-800-xrt-2015.jpg

Great type up for each bike Thumbs Up
The snatchy throttle for the Tracer 900 is a known issue, however a manufacturer remap solves alot of the twitchy response at slow speed. I mucho prefer the styling of the Tracer yet the Tiger seems the more capable bike.

Waaarrrggghhh
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 00:37 - 20 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never ridden anything higher than a 125 but I think the Tiger looks so much cooler. Plus, it's British Thumbs Up

BrownTrousers
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 07:35 - 20 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the same back to back tests last spring and couldn't agree more. Tracers engine is better, Tracers price is better but triumphs practicality is better (luggage options, screen & guards, comfort). I also much prefer the looks of the tiger.

I bought a Tiger. May have been different if I had been coming from a faster bike but coming from 50bhp parallel twin, the Tiger engine is plenty fun.

Samsbike
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:51 - 20 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going against the grain and would vote for the tracer. While I like Triumphs (and have owned two) - their customer and warranty support is non-existent.

Also if you are keeping the Tiger long term, check the servicing costs.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:53 - 20 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsbike wrote:
I am going against the grain and would vote for the tracer. While I like Triumphs (and have owned two) - their customer and warranty support is non-existent.

Also if you are keeping the Tiger long term, check the servicing costs.

Realy, it has been superb for me. They came and got my Trophy and Tiger Explorer for the cylinder head recall. Left me a bike of my choice(ish) while each of them were away. Bikes came back valeted and with the engine warranty extended frm the date of the new cylinder head. Explorer had a new side stand and ECU fitted while it was at Triumph.

I have had 3 new Triumphs and can't complain about service. Costs for stupid things, yes, that is another story.

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 15:59 - 20 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tested both back to back also and came to the same conclusions.

Tiger is a more well rounded and refined bike but not as exciting. I can imagine just going mile after mile on it though.

Tracer had a brilliant engine, but the fueling, bouncy front end and hard seat/bad screen were a let down. So the lower price of the tracer is a bit deceptive as you are likely to pick up the bill in mods for what the factory did not do.

Second hand Tigers are cheaper(ish) though.

Did not have the balls to throw wads of cash at either yet.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 58 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1