Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

cost inflation

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

czakal
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:13 - 21 Feb 2017    Post subject: cost inflation Reply with quote

Again a general motorcyling topic but I thought it would be interesting to new riders especially. When I first started in late 2008 I noticed that entry level bikes were something like £1600-1700 new for a Kymco Pulsar (which I now have), around 2200 for Japanese 125s like the CBF125 and YBR125, and around 1000 for Chinese bikes. Nearly a decade later, it's something like

£1200 min. list price for typical Chinese 125s (Lexmoto, etc)
£2200 Kymco CK125 (the cheaper Pulsar was discontinued)
£2600-2700 YBR125, CB125F

That's more than general inflation I think? I wonder what made bikes more expensive. Maybe part of it is tighter emissions (now all new bikes have EFI, many cheaper ones still used carbs back then), and higher labour costs in countries where they're made (China, India). Has anyone noticed high cost inflation?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:47 - 21 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Value of sterling tanked against the yen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 15:36 - 21 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Euro4 coming in will ramp up costs too.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:50 - 21 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Combination of additional costs associated with Euro 4, and as arry has already said, the £ has tanked, might as well go back to bartering with hens !! Smile

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:50 - 21 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pound is around 144 yen at the moment. When I was working out there in the 80's we used 150 as the standard exchange when working out comparable prices.

It might have fluctuated up and down over 35 years but it isn't much different now.

chris-red

PostPosted: 18:19 - 21 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
The pound is around 144 yen at the moment. When I was working out there in the 80's we used 150 as the standard exchange when working out comparable prices.

It might have fluctuated up and down over 35 years but it isn't much different now.

In 2008 £1 got you 210 yen, today it's 141. That's a huge difference.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:02 - 21 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

In 2008 £1 got you 210 yen, today it's 141. That's a huge difference.

As I said, it fluctuates. I suppose it depends on when you compare it with. In 2005 it was down at 127. But yes, I agree it's going to make Japanese bikes more expensive.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:33 - 21 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Value of sterling tanked against the yen.

And the Yuan.

And my axe.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:34 - 21 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

And my axe.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d4/AXE_spray.jpg

Laughing
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

chris-red

PostPosted: 21:48 - 21 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I suppose it depends on when you compare it with.

Yes it does and as per the OP, I'm comparing to 2008.

Last edited by chris-red on 21:57 - 21 Feb 2017; edited 1 time in total

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:56 - 21 Feb 2017    Post subject: Inflation Reply with quote

R1 2008 vs R1 now. Add inflation (and a massive economy downturn)...it's kinda the same.
Wages haven't increased to match...there's your issue. 2001 r1 was similarly priced, but wages meant it wasn't a dream (or pcp toy).
All bikes cost more, from 125s up. Only the 'learner' bikes stay cheap...er6, xj6, sv650 etc.....coz they are 'learner' bikes....mt07 dropping in there now... perhaps the most cynical amongst us have 'started believing the hype'!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 58 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1