Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:38 - 07 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

iooi wrote:
Pjay wrote:
You can't talk sense to someone that sticks by their purchase as the best and blinkers themselves to sense.

I have also sold bundles of them to people in the past

Anyone that buys a firestick for kodi these days, is a moron.
It's that simple.

Laughing

Be careful. You have fallen into your own trap Karma

Why would you make it look like I said I have sold bundles of firesticks?
At no point did I say that.

toby1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:06 - 07 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay so the Cregbox arrived. Doddle to set up and does exactly what it says on the tin. Very pleased, goodbye Virgin and ever increasing price hikes for crap service. Laughing

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:15 - 07 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
You can't talk sense to someone that sticks by their purchase as the best and blinkers themselves to sense.

Firesticks are shit and the people that bought them were idiots for being duped. For the same money you could have purchased a much faster box, with a full function remote and ethernet port. Buying a firestick is like seeing all your friends driving cars and deciding to join in by buying a pedal kart.
No kodi boxes dont crash all over the place, I cant even remember the last time mine did, probably back in Helix or Isengard. I have also sold bundles of them to people in the past and I've had 2 returns, both boxes had issues with the memory addressing, so yeah some can have or develop faults, nothing is perfect. The vast majority of boxes are running fine to this day, with no issues.

Anyone that buys a firestick for kodi these days, is a moron.
It's that simple.

I never said they were the best, just that they do the job. But then I must be wrong, along with this guy, and these guys. If you remember way back to when discussions on the subject were civilised, it seemed to be older builds that were causing issues. And an example of Android boxes crashing.

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:23 - 07 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do know that Amazon Fire kit are just crappy android boxes/sticks right?

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:13 - 07 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:
You do know that Amazon Fire kit are just crappy android boxes/sticks right?

Blinkers are on.

He thinks that because his works, it's the best option.
Android boxes have also come a long way in just the last year, they are more than twice the power they were a year ago, have much better hardware and are incredibly stable. The early ones that had crashing problems were almost always fixed by removing the third party apps that were on the 'fully loaded' boxes back then. Nowadays the manufacturers have have learned that less is more (and most likely less returns).

Yes firesticks can run Kodi, but only the most idiotic of people would suggest that they can do it better than a box with 3x the processing power. Getting a bunch of 'I hate android boxes, because...' anecdotes from firestick owners is also pretty poor form.

Firesticks are fine, they work, they are cheap and accessible, but in no way are they anywhere near as competent as a £25 android box that you can buy on Ebay and put a nice stable, upto date build on.

To be fair, you only really have to look at the build developers themselves for proof of what I am saying, they even do 'lite' versions of their builds for the firesticks. It doesn't take a genius to work out why.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:28 - 07 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't realise I was actually meant to answer that question Rolling Eyes Show me where I said they were the best option? It's you, a seller of android boxes, and Cansa who has his own box at 5x the price who says they're shit. Amongst consumers they're pretty well received.

Plus points for me are they discretely plug into the back on the TV (not another box I don't have room for), you're buying from a retailer with a warranty, rather than expecting support from some random chinese seller.

It was one anecdote regarding android box crashes, where he also says Cansa's box crashes Thinking

Also why did you say this before?
Pjay wrote:
Just buy as cheap as you can with S905 or S905X chipset and delete all the software on it and load Kodi back on yourself.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:36 - 07 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Also why did you say this before?
Pjay wrote:
Just buy as cheap as you can with S905 or S905X chipset and delete all the software on it and load Kodi back on yourself.

What part of me saying that the problems were with the added apps and not the box or android or kodi, are you struggling with?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:46 - 07 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess why you choose to differentiate between a 'fully loaded' TV stick and fully loaded android box, if they suffer from the same issues.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:51 - 07 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe because a box is more powerful and the better option.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:56 - 07 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
Maybe because a box is more powerful and the better option.

Again please tell me where I've said opposite? All I'm saying is the TV stick's an option which does work, and for me personally was preferable for the reasons stated above. If my stick breaks then I might go for a cheap eBay box (or try the new one Smile).

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:06 - 07 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the bits where you say that the boxes/laptops/tablets/phones/mainframes/deepblue etc are all crap because they crashed when you tried to install Kodi on them.

Your experiences show me that the common denominator is you.

Maybe you are flawed, who knows?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:09 - 07 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

When have I mentioned trying it on boxes or laptops? I said it barely worked on my tablet and doesn't work at all on my phone. Obviously you have the Cansa attitude of blaming the user because android's perfect, when the reality's it's a lottery with how apps run and if they even run at all*.

*one thing that iOS does better Wink

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:57 - 07 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that there are people that need their hands held when it comes to technology. Apple do indeed cater very well in that area.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:22 - 07 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:

Never said you did.

What I was pointing out was what you said about the other poster and their blinkered view.

You are saying EXACTLY the same thing, in the same blinkered way about your KODI boxes Rolling Eyes

Each will work in their own way to different people....

Personaly Kodi installed on a laptop is even better Laughing

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:26 - 07 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

iooi wrote:
Pjay wrote:

Never said you did.

What I was pointing out was what you said about the other poster and their blinkered view.

You are saying EXACTLY the same thing, in the same blinkered way about your KODI boxes Rolling Eyes

Each will work in their own way to different people....

Personaly Kodi installed on a laptop is even better Laughing

Considering I have owned firesticks and run them to their best ability, I have a very well balanced view on them. No matter what you do to them, you cannot overcome their major flaw and that is processing power.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:49 - 07 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

To clarify, I have over the past couple of years installed and tested kodi on many different platforms, here are my ratings for each device:

S805 based Andriod boxes - 7/10 - Not bad, but at all, but lack power for full functionality.
S905/x/912 based Android boxes - 9/10 - Much more powerful boxes than the older S805 and it shows in the general use. You can have a stream running in the background of the gui and there is no noticeable slowdown when scrolling through the menu screens. Mostly let down by poor remotes, but still not terrible.
Raspberry Pi 3 (I wont bother with the older versions here) 9/10 - Runs perfectly fine, everything is as it should be and is at least on par with the newer Android boxes for smooth navigation and overall slickness of the gui. Would be 10/10 if it were not again for the lack of decent control, but that's not really the Pi's fault. Buy a decent Bluetooth/Wireless compact keyboard/media controller and this could well be the best of all platforms. Added bonus is that you can install it as part of Retropie, so not only can you watch great media, you can also play tens of thousands of retro games.
Android Tablets - 8/10 - While very competent, the small screen is not ideal for watching blockbusters and lengthy binges of box sets. Ideal for holidays and time away from home, but not a serious single solution.
Amazon Firestick - 5/10 - Once you are used to how Kodi can and should run, it becomes very apparent that the firestick is behind in power by a couple of generations. The gui is slower than all other offerings and crawls to almost a halt if you run a video in the background of the gui. This may well not be an issue for most users, but it certainly brings home the lack of power in this little stick of joy. The lack of processing power is also obvious when the addons do a batch of updates if you leave the device off for a week or two. While it slows down every other device, it grinds down on the firestick and makes you question if it's ever going to end. Ok for casual bedroom use, but frustrating for everyday use. Oh and the remote is terribad.
Windows Laptop - 9/10 - Yup, of course it works wonderfully, it only loses a point due to the small screen.
Windows based media server - 10/10 - This is it, we have the winrar. Wonderful in every way (except cost). If someone could sell these retail at under £100, they would reach global domination within a year.

I do hope my findings help people decide if they are in the market for a kodi streaming box.

My findings are my own, no money has changed hands to influence my ratings and all equipment was purchased by myself.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:09 - 07 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran it on the original Pi model B when it was XBMC. Runs Kodi too but it's incredibly laggy these days, frustratingly so. I'm tempted to buy the latest Pi to replace it (I prefer running Kodi on top of linux so I can have other functionality too if I want it). Right now I'm running it on a Dell Optiplex 390 on top of Arch Linux which works great but obviously that's overkill.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:18 - 08 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
I understand that there are people that need their hands held when it comes to technology. Apple do indeed cater very well in that area.

I think they're quality items and better in some areas (my perfect device would have elements of both them and android), but they're too expensive for what they're and un-jailbroken too restrictive.

Pjay wrote:
Considering I have owned firesticks and run them to their best ability, I have a very well balanced view on them. No matter what you do to them, you cannot overcome their major flaw and that is processing power.

So what about the new one with 30% more (I'm not trolling honest)? Smile

I respect your findings but I'll add I've not had issues with menus with a video running in the background (is that with Jarvis)? I can see how updating lots of add-ons would be an issue on the stick, I only have a few installed but it's one of the reasons I haven't tried the Wookie build.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:08 - 08 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

So what about the new one with 30% more (I'm not trolling honest)? Smile

I respect your findings but I'll add I've not had issues with menus with a video running in the background (is that with Jarvis)? I can see how updating lots of add-ons would be an issue on the stick, I only have a few installed but it's one of the reasons I haven't tried the Wookie build.

The 30% faster ones are never going to be that great considering an S905 box is 300% faster. There is little point me buying one as it would just be a waste of money. I mean what fool buys something that is 3x slower than a current box that costs the same if not less?

The menus while a video plays in the backgound in HD is what made me give up on firesticks completely, the lagging is really horrendous and would almost certainly be there in Krypton, considering it's even more power hungry. In Jarvis and Helix, it was awful.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:24 - 08 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing That civilised debate didn't last long did it.

sutty86
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 09:29 - 08 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried different boxes over the years and fire TV and the stick and rpi2.
I started off on the old MX box which was pretty dire.
Sort of put me off 'Chinese' android boxes
Had a few faults on the m8 and different variants.

Well I thought I'd try the newer box s905 for £25 on amazon with a half decent remote (less buttons)
And what a pleasant surprise.
No junk apps.
All the apps like modbro ,showbox,kodi with a decent build on.
I was impressed and this was the basic 8gb/1gb ram.

Wireless is also good which is a brucy bonus.

Zenopllige Z3 Android TV Box Amlogic S905 Android 5.1 Lollipop OS TV Box Quad Core 1G/8G 4K Google Streaming Media Players with WiFi HDMI DLNA https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N3QO16T/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apap_RuEidzGZxcmlt

BTW I have no affiliation

Just a cracking box

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:19 - 08 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

sutty86 wrote:
I've tried different boxes over the years and fire TV and the stick and rpi2.
I started off on the old MX box which was pretty dire.
Sort of put me off 'Chinese' android boxes
Had a few faults on the m8 and different variants.

Well I thought I'd try the newer box s905 for £25 on amazon with a half decent remote (less buttons)
And what a pleasant surprise.
No junk apps.
All the apps like modbro ,showbox,kodi with a decent build on.
I was impressed and this was the basic 8gb/1gb ram.

Wireless is also good which is a brucy bonus.

Zenopllige Z3 Android TV Box Amlogic S905 Android 5.1 Lollipop OS TV Box Quad Core 1G/8G 4K Google Streaming Media Players with WiFi HDMI DLNA https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N3QO16T/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apap_RuEidzGZxcmlt

BTW I have no affiliation

Just a cracking box

These are the sort of boxes I tell people to go for, the manufacturers are not filling them with junk apps that clog the system up and they really are nice and fast out of the box. They could be really nice and just install a wizard in kodi so you could select a build of your choice, but overall China has got its house in order.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:41 - 08 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
The 30% faster ones are never going to be that great considering an S905 box is 300% faster.

Are you sure about that claim btw?

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:46 - 08 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Pjay wrote:
The 30% faster ones are never going to be that great considering an S905 box is 300% faster.

Are you sure about that claim btw?

Well the firestick will Antutu benchmark at around 9-10k
The S905 will benchmark around 28-35k.

Yeah, seems about right.

And before you moan about Antutu, it's regarded as the best Android benchmarking program, as its results are consistent and verifiable.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:07 - 08 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my doubts especially when you see this: https://www.cnx-software.com/2016/08/28/amlogic-s905-and-s912-processors-appear-to-be-limited-to-1-5-ghz-not-2-ghz-as-advertised/
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 49 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4