Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Any Architects out there?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

Paris2
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 15:31 - 22 Feb 2017    Post subject: Any Architects out there? Reply with quote

We have just had planning permission approved.
But I am a bit confused about what we do next.

I believe we now need to apply for building regulations?
Will we need an architect to do the drawings?
Is that all that's needed, or do we need other people involved like structural engineers?

This is my first time doing any major work to the house, and as you can see I have no idea what I'm doing Laughing

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 15:43 - 22 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Build what you want, hope no one notices, live free.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:56 - 22 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apply for building regulations? Yes you do.
An architect to do the drawings? Yes you do.
Do you need other people involved like structural engineers? That's a very vague question because we've no idea what you're doing. Laughing For the work to meet building regulations then the work will need doing by someone appropriate.

We haven't got anywhere near enough detail to give you complete answers. The architect who did the planning application can give you much more helpful answers than we can.

Big Jock
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 16:02 - 22 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends what the project is. Might not need architect / engineer?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Paris2
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 16:26 - 22 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is for a single storey side extension. Only adding about 6 square metres to the front of the garage.

I have done the planning application myself so far, so have yet to have any professional input.

Big Jock
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 16:36 - 22 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.mybuilder.com/

Check this out. Post a job description and get the correct people to come and give you a quote

Paris2
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 16:44 - 22 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Jock wrote:
https://www.mybuilder.com/

Check this out. Post a job description and get the correct people to come and give you a quote

Already done it Thumbs Up

Just want to make sure I am doing the right thing, and not missing anything (applications etc) before I hire a builder to do the job.

tony_d123
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:06 - 22 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paris2 wrote:
This is for a single storey side extension. Only adding about 6 square metres to the front of the garage.

I have done the planning application myself so far, so have yet to have any professional input.

Yes you will need Building regs, you can do a full plans application with drawings or a Building notice, they cost the same. The advantage of plans is that you can specify everything and you are not at the mercy of a builder. You are unlikely to need an engineer unless you are fitting steelwork or the ground is very poor etc.
You can always make an appointment to see your local Building Control Officer and they will guide you through the process.

tony_d123
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:14 - 22 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paris2 wrote:

You will need Building regs, you can do a full plans application with drawings or a Building notice, they cost the same. The advantage of plans is that you can specify everything and you are not at the mercy of a builder. You are unlikely to need an engineer unless you are fitting steelwork or the ground is vey poor etc.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:38 - 23 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will need Building Regs. As the previous poster said, you can either put in a full application with plans or (if the Council will accept one) do it on a Building Notice.

If you put in a full application you will need somebody who knows what they are doing to prepare your plans. The advantage of this is that you know what is specified will meet current Building Regs and the works will be inspected by somebody who knows what they are doing. If you go the Building Notice route and your builder cuts corners, you will end up in a whole heap of bother. As previous poster said, its best to speak to the Council's Building Inspectors before deciding which route to go down given the small scale of the job.

Don't forget that you may also need to submit a Discharge of Condition Application (DISC) if your planning decision notice contains any pre-commencement conditions. If you did the original application yourself, this shouldn't be any more complex. Remember that if you don't comply with planning conditions you are leaving yourself liable to a Breach Of Condition Notice and potential problems when you eventually come to sell the house.

I'd suggest you look on the Council's website at submitted applications, then pick a couple of Agents for prices for the drawing work. Whilst an architect is likely to charge £100 per hour or a fixed fee in the region of £1000 & VAT, somebody who just 'draws plans' should be able to quote less than £500 for this size of job. Remember that these prices won't include Local Authority fees.

Where are you? If you are anywhere near me (Halifax) I can sort out a competitive quote from somebody who knows what they are doing...

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:45 - 23 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did this about 4 years ago - added a 2-story side extension and a single storey rear extension. I made a full planning and building regs application. I didn't use an architect, just a guy who could draw up the plans in the way that was needed and knew the regs. We did have some steel work, but for this the builder got an engineer in to calculate the beams needed and got the building inspector to sign-off on it. I did the site plan and location plan drawings myself and wrote an accompanying letter outlining the design considerations and how it fitted with the local aesthetic.

One thing worth doing is looking through your local authority's planning portal and seeing what other people have submitted (it's interesting if you're getting it done yourself, plus it's a good way of nosing around your neighbours' houses).

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:07 - 23 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paris2 wrote:
Only adding about 6 square metres to the front of the garage.

6 square metres, or 6 metres squared?

2m x 3m = I doubt the Council is going to send in the bulldozers.

Paris2
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 13:01 - 24 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
Where are you? If you are anywhere near me (Halifax) I can sort out a competitive quote from somebody who knows what they are doing...

Thanks for the info. Nowhere near though.

And yes Roger only 2m x 3m, not a big job.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:47 - 24 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paris2 wrote:
Diggs wrote:

Thanks for the info. Nowhere near though.

And yes Roger only 2m x 3m, not a big job.

Is that not covered by permitted development?

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 14:03 - 24 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Paris2 wrote:
Only adding about 6 square metres to the front of the garage.

6 square metres, or 6 metres squared?

2m x 3m = I doubt the Council is going to send in the bulldozers.

I've been looking into it,

As long as you don't have more than 50% of the Original Footprint of the house, under 2meters to the roofline, you don't have sleeping facilities and it's under 15m2 Planning or regs don't need to be informed.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:27 - 24 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't confuse the man with talk of 'permitted development'. It is a minefield if you don't know what you are doing. If it was PD the Council would have returned the Application and the fee. Even if it were PD, this wouldn't affect the need for Building Regs - separate legislation.

I spend a lot of time work-wise arguing the toss about PD with Councils, and even though its my job I have to adopt the Einstein principle of not trying to remember anything except where to look for the answers. Whilst the rules are the same nationally, each case is different and often individual Local Authorities apply the rules in different ways...
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 62 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1