Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What's a good open faced helmet?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

xrsteve2003
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:16 - 23 Feb 2017    Post subject: What's a good open faced helmet? Reply with quote

As title. I wear glasses and find open faced better. It's only for a 125cc
Thanks
Steve

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:36 - 23 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one that fits you best. However i would not get one because what's protecting your face and chin? Don't you get on with full face and glasses?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

xrsteve2003
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:40 - 23 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a bit claustrophobic in them but maybe get used to it. I know safety comes first.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:54 - 23 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hitting the road face first at 60mph coming off a 125 hurts just as much as hitting the road face first coming off a litre bike.

Protect your jaw, wear a full face helmet.

Shark do the Vision R range which have an extra wide viewport and have little slide holes for glasses too.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:57 - 23 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wear a few, personally not a fan of the "old school piss pot" style.

Used to be a website called openfacehelmets.co.uk but seems to have gone, think it belonged to a bike / scooter shop in London.

Anyway, my fave is my Spada trials

https://www.spadaclothing.co.uk/product-detail.php?subcat=41&cat=1&product=1173&productname=Edge Black/white

I wear that green laning when it is warm, and I also wear it on my 50cc

I also have a Draxtar P-104 helmet
https://www.fc-moto.de/en/DRAXTAR-P-104-Jet-Helmets-Army-Green

Many people mock it, but I like the ear defenders built in.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

andys675
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:59 - 23 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

if I had to it would have to be the schuberth j1 because of the chin bar and it would have to have a black visor not just the internal drop down faggot effort

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 23:12 - 23 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

andys675 wrote:
schuberth j1

Discontinued.

Caberg HyperX is still available. Airoh J106 as well. Both have removable chin bars. But if you remove them, then you've just got an open face helmet, so... uh... yeah.

If you want something done right bodge it yourself.

I'm still looking for a commercial equivalent that's:

1) Still in production.
2) Under £100. That's as much as my head's worth I pay for a piece of plastic.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:16 - 23 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also like my full face Dual sport motorcycle helmet, the one I am wearing in my avatar

much more open than an MX helmet, the peak is more like that on the trials helmet, and it feels pretty close to an open face

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:18 - 23 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wear glasses and have a flip helmet, with the front up the majority of the time. Will probably save the weight and get an open face this year.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 14:54 - 24 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fazer. wrote:
Open faced helmets are for hipster faggot types.

Ohhh! must be cool and trendy again then?
ScaredyCat wrote:
Hitting the road face first at 60mph coming off a 125 hurts just as much as hitting the road face first coming off a litre bike..

TRICK is trying rather hard NOT to ht the road in the first place... not sticking your head i a padded bucket ad thinking you 'must' have safety covered.

Benefit of the chin piece is mute... I ride a bike to get out of a bludy box, not wedge myself in a goldfish bowl

If/when you come off, the presence of chin piece, is questionable. It stiffens the structure of the helmet shell, but that's a double edged sword, Stiff shells dont deform, so they don't absorb inpact the crshable foam that does the real job of redcng the impact force to your head.

Chin peice does't actually have any of that around it, so t's ot goig to save anyimpact damage itself, all it can do is offer some 'material' between road and jaw against abrasion, IF n an off you do land face down, AND you slide far eough for that to make any odds.

Actual 'added' protection from a full face is very very teniouse....

Added feeling of security having your head a goldfsh bolw? Often very high....

Wind i your face, rain in your eyes, smell of cow slurry in your nostrils..... provided by an ope face.. all puts you in much more direct contact with your surroudings, doesn't gve you the cocoond sensations that bolster 'false' confidence, and is likely to encourage a little mre 'prudence' to avoid that crash, in whch that potentially ony notionally 'better' protection of a full face may or may ot actually do much t save you hurt... in a stuation its GONNA HURT, that was best avoided in the frst place!

Open face, do tend to offer a wider, unostructed field of vew, that is also a boon to dodging SMIDY idiots ad other hazards,...

BUT.. absolute umber one top of the list, 'advantage' that I cannot stress to ANYONE who dismisses them so quckly for that very verynebulouse bot of 'extra' potential protection a full face might offer....

Humanisation!

Car drvers dont see bkes... f they do, they usually perceive 'biker', they don't perceive a PERSON.

oent they climbed in thier ox, they dehumanised all other traffic. and dressing like a space man and hiding your face, n a hat, just re-enforces that... they treat you impersonally, like some irrelevent charecter behind TV screen.. you are not in thier 'wold' in thier ox, you aren't a part of their existace, you are nothing they can identify with or relate to....

Take the hat off... INSTANTLY they see a face and human conditioning... : - ) .... they recognize, understand, identify with and empathse with.

The CHANGE in other driver behavior fro that tiny tiny 'clue' of showing them a real, and not unfreindly 'face' Its absolutely astounding....

Suddey they start beng 'nice' to you!

Not always, of course, BUT.. it is palpable... the flip, filterng up the M6... hat 'open' its like moses at the red sea, cars part and a lane oens up for you. Drop the chin, cos rain, and that sea closes and idiots are back to chomping n thier steerig wheels deliberately tryng NOT to make eye contact detrmined you will not pass!

There is an awful lot of plusses to wearing an open, and that very debatable, and very small merit that a chin piece 'may' save a bit of hurt when all goes wrong, is to be dismissing so much REAL potential beneft, for the sake of NOT actually wighing up the real risks and putting them in order...

And poor risk assessement or one at all? THAT is not a great way to stay 'safe' and avoid that accent you 'hope' some bt of plastic may save a bit of hurt.

Open face aren't for every one; it IS a personal choice.. BUT, make that choice of real hard facts not fucking feelings!

I have NOT in almost 30 years had a cash hat that has earned its sticker price doing the job it was intended for, saving my head in an off!!

The 'crash protection' any of them may or may not have offered is pretty redundant. No crash, no matter..

Dress to ride, rde to live DONT dress to crash, or likely you will and whatever you wear you will still get hurt.

xrsteve2003 wrote:
As title. I wear glasses and find open faced better. It's only for a 125cc

Yeah.. 'only' a 125.. we all know that SMIDSY car drivers wh DONT see you to begn with, pay SO much attensio, they apply fshermans logic and when they spot a 125, they go "Aw.... cutsey lidduw tiddler! I wont kill him today....I'll wait till hies on smething bigger and its better sort!"

GET REAL.... you are as likely to crash and hence need a crash hat on a 125 as anything else... F you are on L-Plates and not the most clued up or experienced rider, probably even more so

You want safe.. ponder that, and go think about your erroneous ideas of how 'safety' must be some-how related to engine cc, or and thnk long ad hard about what or WHO you are putting your fath in you watch your arse kimo-sab!

I have just advcated merits of open face hats; round town, WHERE I am actually most likely to be brought off, that's what I tend to grab, mainly to fullfil legal requirement that says I 'must' wear one.

I don't get challenged in shops to take it off and run out of hands to juggle shopping and stuff at the tilll, I DO get better other driver reaction from them seeig my face, same as I do fro shopkeepers, and I DO get those queues ad sensatons to make me think a bit more about what I'm at and where I'm at and was that cos slurry I just smelt? As well as that slightly better periferal vision.

I do like my 'flip' though, which is best of both worlds, and I can drop the bar on out of town, or on the bypass, where does keep wind and rain out my face a bit better.

I'm not a correctv spec wearer, though I do have to wear tinted spex in most day-light and some artificial, I dont 'usually' have much problem putting spex on under a hat, open of full face though know for some it s... but, omes dw t the actual spex and actual hat as oft as anything, as much as whether ts an open or a full,

Usual advice for buying crash hats is to go to a shop, DONT but mail order, and try them all for size and fit tll you fnd one that works best.... take spex with you when you do!

Hats vary in shape, different makes dfferent models can all vary hugely in how cmfy they may be dependng as much on that 'fit' as the size, and in use... brochure specs WONT tell you how any hat will fit your head, nor where in it your eyes or nose or oth will be, or whether you will be able to easily get your spec on and off with t on, or if they will mst , or you wont be able to shut the visor 'cos our nose gets in the way r your ears poke out awkwardly or something.

But them lke a pair of trousers, in a shp, and try for ft in the changg room.

What WE suggest or reccomend is utterly irrelevent, and likely not helpful.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:38 - 24 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Caberg HyperX is still available. Airoh J106 as well.

Once you're done reading Tef's post, I'd check again: the information may be out of date.

Monkeywrenche...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 18:18 - 24 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tefs post is long and rambling and ultimately offers little help with the ops question

However, In my Tef induced madness I'm beginning to see patterns in the randomly capitalised words and missing letters, add to this cypher the wrongly spelled words and there's only one logical conclusion...He's passing secrets to the Ruskies!!

Tef si a russan Spie adn I clam my Five Pods. Pound Coin Pound Coin Pound Coin Pound Coin Pound Coin

Triton Thrasher
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 20:28 - 24 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to a shop with a lot of them and try them on. Buy the most comfortable one.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:30 - 24 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the Airoh lids are nicely minimal. Light weight, thin profile shells.

I've got a J106 which has a removable chin piece. but they also do dedicated open face ones. They're even making the shells from pre-preg carbon fibre on some of them now.

To quote a mate when he saw mine "That looks like it's painted on". Feels like it is too, very unobtrusive (although noisy).

Johnnythefox
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:35 - 24 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wear glasses, can't get on with contacts, am big on safety so sharp 4 star rated flip front.... and then I go and buy an open face.... cos it's cool and hip and big and clever.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:26 - 24 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkeywrencher wrote:
Tefs post is long and rambling and ultimately offers little help with the ops question

However, In my Tef induced madness I'm beginning to see patterns in the randomly capitalised words and missing letters, add to this cypher the wrongly spelled words and there's only one logical conclusion...He's passing secrets to the Ruskies!!

Tef si a russan Spie adn I clam my Five Pods. Pound Coin Pound Coin Pound Coin Pound Coin Pound Coin

It's worse than that.
Quote:
дорога впереди свободна

Teflon-Mike wrote:
If/when you come off, the presence of chin piece, is questionable. It stiffens the structure of the helmet shell, but that's a double edged sword, Stiff shells dont deform, so they don't absorb inpact the crshable foam that does the real job of redcng the impact force to your head.

I don't think the shell is designed to absorb an impact, that's what the foam is for. The shell prevents abrasion, and sliding your chin across tarmac doesn't bear thinking about.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:53 - 24 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend had to have his jaw re-attached, as best they could. It isn't pretty. Kerb met jaw. Jaw lost. Multiple attempts to wire it into one piece eventually worked

Get a full face, fuck fashion.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:41 - 24 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
[BUT.. absolute umber one top of the list, 'advantage' that I cannot stress to ANYONE who dismisses them so quckly for that very verynebulouse bot of 'extra' potential protection a full face might offer....

Humanisation!

Car drvers dont see bkes... f they do, they usually perceive 'biker', they don't perceive a PERSON.

Yup, I agree with this.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:48 - 24 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
Teflon-Mike wrote:
[BUT.. absolute umber one top of the list, 'advantage' that I cannot stress to ANYONE who dismisses them so quckly for that very verynebulouse bot of 'extra' potential protection a full face might offer....

Humanisation!

Yup, I agree with this.

Hmmm... I've observed that car drivers notice me more when I wear an iridium visor. Whether it's the flickering reflections or just the unusual look which warrants repeated looks in the rear view mirror I don't know, but it's reassuring to know they're aware of your presence, and they often pull to the left to let me pass. Not always welcome at 50mph when they're throwing muck backwards from the gutter but still...

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:57 - 24 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wear piss pot lids

And as TEF says if you don't fall off it's fine

Tight round the head for the fit

And I am definetly not a hipster

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:32 - 25 Feb 2017    Post subject: No contest Reply with quote

Slid down road at >35mph (last time I saw speedo). Saw tarmac in my right eye.
Still don't believe a flip front wouldn't have come apart. Open face....I'd rather not think.
But, that's just me. I grew up wanting to be a spaceman, why wouldn't I want to wear a proper hat![/u]

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:15 - 25 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ride my bicycle over 30mph, don't wear anything on that...

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 12:32 - 25 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My nephew hit a car that pulled out on him, he was wearing a full face, still broke his jaw in three places, hardly a mark on the helmet, throwing lots of money does not always work , a good fit of the equipment does

Waaarrrggghhh
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:56 - 25 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found the 'Held' brand of helmets are excellent for glasses wearers. It's like they were actually made specifically with people with glasses in mind (but its also fine for non glasses wearers).
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 59 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2