Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Twitch after changing up a gear

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:58 - 24 Feb 2017    Post subject: Twitch after changing up a gear Reply with quote

On the way to work today, nice day compared to yesterday. Filtered to the front at traffic lights in a 50. Set off sharp(ish) and got to 50 fairly quick, as is courteous when you have filtered to the front of a long queue. Now at 50 i changed up into 2nd (ready to go up into 3rd 4th etc) and suddenly my front wheel squirreled left and right. I managed to hold onto it but it did obviously shake me up a bit.

Any ideas for the cause of it? IM thinking maybe because i didnt put ANY revs on while i was changing up, so the inertia might have caused it. But im open to ideas. Posted this in new bikers as ive only passed my test a few months and still learning.

Cheers,

Ash

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:58 - 24 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not entirely clear what happened there. The front going light is usually down to too much throttle. Shutting it off will generate engine braking, and will throw the weight forward, but shouldn't break traction on the front wheel.

Either way, the roads aren't in a great state, so just use more gradual inputs in future. Change up earlier, don't shut the throttle as much when changing up, clutch in earlier, let it out more gradually.

davethekwak
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:22 - 24 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure it was the front end that twitched and not the back. Loss of traction at the back can feel like the steering is going a bit wild.
If you changed up but didn't use revs to match to new gear then you will have got sudden engine braking on the back wheel which could have caused it to loose traction briefly making the rear step out slightly. If you over corrected this it would move in the opposite direction which could make you think the front went left and right.
With current road conditions you want to minimise sudden traction or wheel load changes. Progressive braking, smooth clutch and throttle application with matched revs on gear change.

Roads are crap atm. I lost the back a few times on the way to work but knew it would happen as was playing with the ZX6R. Laughing

Last edited by davethekwak on 12:23 - 24 Feb 2017; edited 1 time in total

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:22 - 24 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Roger. Yeh the roads are pretty slick, and maybe it was too much revs in first, ill try to adjust accordingly and learn from it .

edit: also thanks Dave, sounds about right tbh. I switched up the gear but didnt match the revs (d'oh). I agree with the ''shocking'' the system, which i do understand with the weight transfer etc causing loss of traction.

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:19 - 24 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had that once before during spirited acceleration. There was a groove in the road which sort of knocked the front into a bit of a wobble. I was doing nearer 70 but same could have happened to you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 56 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1