Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

European break down cover for an old bike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

BillyJ
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 11:37 - 24 Feb 2017    Post subject: European break down cover for an old bike Reply with quote

RAC want £80.64 for a single trip to France for 5 days..!! Then I laughed and he knocked it down to £56.45...

What's the cheapest place that will cover a bike that's over 30 years old?

Bike is a 1981 CB250RSA

Oldie
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:42 - 24 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that I'd bother with cover, especially if it's northern Europe - just go and deal with any problems as they arise. There always seems to be someone around to help if you get stuck.

BillyJ
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 11:44 - 24 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldie wrote:
I don't think that I'd bother with cover, especially if it's northern Europe - just go and deal with any problems as they arise. There always seems to be someone around to help if you get stuck.

I was planning on doing exactly that... I've had the bike for years and have played with/adjusted/changed almost everything on it at some point so I am competent... It's more a case of I can't bring all my tools with me but yep it is north France so I guess there will always be garages nearby.

Oldie
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:24 - 24 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be taking my CB250 over to Holland at some point. I've already checked on the hondatwins forum to see who might be available for assistance, especially if I need a specific part not normally stocked by garages. It's also an opportunity to meet up for a beer Cool

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:21 - 24 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really should use the search function Wink

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=318408&highlight=

Nationwide PlexPlus current account. Yes it costs £10 a month but you get UK and Euro breakdown cover, travel insurance, commission free cash withdrawals abroad and a few other bits included. Perfect account for touring Europe.

Or ADAC if you want to mess about phoning Germany to join up. I had ADAC cover in the past but stopped when I go the FlexPlus account.

BillyJ
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 15:23 - 24 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt B wrote:
You really should use the search function Wink

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=318408&highlight=

Nationwide PlexPlus current account. Yes it costs £10 a month but you get UK and Euro breakdown cover, travel insurance, commission free cash withdrawals abroad and a few other bits included. Perfect account for touring Europe.

Or ADAC if you want to mess about phoning Germany to join up. I had ADAC cover in the past but stopped when I go the FlexPlus account.

I did use the search function Wink

All the results I found weren't useful at all because my bike is so old and all the companies I saw wouldn't cover old bikes Crying or Very sad although I did only look at the first 4 results before just posting Laughing

Snod Blatter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:58 - 24 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered insuring it with someone who offers Euro breakdown as standard? Carole Nash, Footman James and Peter James all do it no matter the age of the bike.

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:28 - 25 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The classic insurance I have through Lynbrook includes European and UK travel included in the premium.For my Exup1000 and the FJ1200 it costs me £65 per annum for TPFT Thumbs Up

Always have a 'Plan B'

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:43 - 15 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fancy the Flex account - they're less than my AA cover is now by some £6 per month. It's a shame the nearest NW branch is 8 miles in town and my current current account (ahem) is in the village - a ten minute walk away...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:33 - 16 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

1198 wrote:
Such distance

Apply online, manage it online Thumbs Up

STONEY!
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 09:28 - 17 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flex account FTW, for added pikey cheapness open account before trip, close account after.

I did this, cost me £10 and got me recovery off the autobahn, a hotel room for the night and transport to a local dealership who gave me the parts I needed at trade, free use of their workshop, coffee and cake, a free hat and a big bag of sweets for the trip home.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mawsley
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 00:37 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for Carole Nash.

Was quoted £86 by my recovery company for the next 12 months, CN gave me Euro cover for free. (And a multi bike policy half that of Bennets)

-Matt-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:32 - 01 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt B wrote:
As a side note for the Flexplus account - if you can find someone who already has a Nationwide account and can recommend you, you can both receive £100, if you transfer your current account over (has to be transferred as far as I'm a aware - doesn't apply if you open it as a secondary current account).

Essentially makes the account and all its benefit's cost only £20 for the first year - very good value considering the breakdown covers all your vehicle's too Thumbs Up.

https://www.nationwide.co.uk/products/current-accounts/our-current-accounts/recommend-a-friend-tab
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 363 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1