Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What it would be like to ride a 125cc for 2,000 miles?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 10:53 - 26 Feb 2017    Post subject: Re: What it would be like to ride a 125cc for 2,000 miles? Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:

LETJOG?

That's what I presumed.

I did most of that portion of the route a while ago following a paramotor trip - so average distances on a day were less than a 125 bike would achieve. (My KTM690 doesn't have much higher top speed than a decent 125 - go for an NSR or something which I've assumed they won't be and the riding could be quite enjoyable.)

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:07 - 26 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

see thats the thing!

I wanna take my honda msx 125 from london to scotland and tour round scotland similar to yourself.

i have an o ring chain and have changed the gearing so it now has 16 teeth instead of 15 teeth on the front sprocket rear is standard at 34 teeth.
what that means is now at 60mph the bike sits at 6.5k rpm, redline is 8k rpm

i wanna go on the motorway which i would be sitting between 6k rpm and 6.5k rpm, just im not sure if the bike can cope with it their for 10 hrs with 4 fuel stops in between

i really wanna do this as its more of a challenge instead of taking the GSXR 1000

id be doing about 2400 miles all in and will most likely to an oil change whilst im up north.

i got 5 months to decide what im gonna do Confused

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:16 - 26 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

woo wrote:

i wanna go on the motorway which i would be sitting between 6k rpm and 6.5k rpm, just im not sure if the bike can cope with it their for 10 hrs with 4 fuel stops in between

I reckon it'd be fine, TBH. But you could always do a stretch of motorway, then off onto the back roads for an hour, then another stretch of motorway. The choice of motorway versus back roads isn't one or t'other for the entire journey.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 11:18 - 26 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the bike is well maintained it should be ok, I would also have some breakdown cover, just in case.
I would be inclined not to do all the trip on motorways but use some A roads as well especially near meal times so you can have as break and get something to eat/drink easily .

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:25 - 26 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
msx 125 from london to scotland and tour round scotland similar to yourself.

Easy to change sprockets - why not take a spare(s) with you and swap it out up there. If it's easy to do front too, can match up/down change so that chain length is kept the same.

Or get some sent up to someone that lives around where the motorway bits end and swap over there Smile.

That's presuming a wide ratio box isn't an option - love one for my KTM and they are available, but really silly money Sad.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:52 - 26 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep meaning to take my 125 up to the highlands for a few days but I've not gotten around to it yet. It's fine around most Scottish back roads roads but I'd probably limit my daily mileage to under 300, maybe even less. I've not tried the more open sections around Glen Coe, etc. yet though. I fancy taking it to Applecross. The biggest frustration is lack of overtaking ability but if you're not in a hurry then you can make do.

If I was buying another machine to replace the 125 or for low capacity touring I'd probably go with a modified CRF250L or M. The slight increase in power and the longer maintenance intervals are a big benefit.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:00 - 26 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

All done on 125`s Smile you might want to skip the first 4 minutes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGyaj_HeLhw

Or this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6Vz6IgDFmc

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:09 - 26 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

the run riot motorcycle shop video is perfect!!!

Id love to have joined them even tho i hate camping but with them lot id do it.

Ive attached the costs 125cc touring vs 1000cc touring Very Happy

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 17:06 - 26 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to suggest that with that there's more consumables costs to consider on the GSXR - but at that mpg, probably not! Razz

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:44 - 26 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

woo wrote:
I wanna take my honda msx 125 from london to scotland and tour round scotland similar to yourself.

Then do it. Northern Monkey toured on his, in company with bigger bikes, no problem.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:09 - 26 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

woo wrote:
the run riot motorcycle shop video is perfect!!!

Id love to have joined them even tho i hate camping but with them lot id do it.

Ive attached the costs 125cc touring vs 1000cc touring Very Happy

I think you have to much time to think things over to much Smile

As for camping, it`s ok when it`s not pissing down with rain.

Do what I`ve done, get a 250 and mix it up between camping and B&B`s.
Still the challenge of the smaller bike and still got some ompph to overtake if needed. Thumbs Up

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:25 - 26 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work as an accountant i cant help it!! Laughing

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:46 - 26 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

woo wrote:
I work as an accountant i cant help it!! Laughing

with ref:- 125cc.

yeah well 55 miles to the hour ... dream on .. you`ll be lucky to do 25 miles to the hour with a movin average of 35mph..

Oh .. and your fuel tank is not big enough ... better take a can .. Halfords are doin a black 10Litre one...

Northern Monkey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:51 - 26 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
woo wrote:

Then do it. Northern Monkey toured on his, in company with bigger bikes, no problem.

The last day I did Inverness - Applecross - Newcastle. About 450 miles. This comes not recommended. About 200 per day is about the max for an MSX.

Also, it turns out an MSX can't keep up with a fireblade on the straight bits, or on the bendy bits, or anywhere really

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/geoffhill/29B4A1C1-18B0-4EE6-98DB-A1760C4793A7_zpsulxk8aw2.jpg

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/geoffhill/2286D82E-6A56-4455-BC47-BCE62D89F93F_zpseeumgeab.jpg

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/geoffhill/7315F2F0-F00E-422A-8EBD-B685892143CD_zpskt4nz88r.jpg

Northern Monkey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:57 - 26 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found totally flat out in 3rd, where I was for most of the time in Jockistan, you'll get 100 miles to a tank tops, rather than the 120-125 I get normally.

The petrol stations are about 50 miles apart, so you end up filling up all the time, as making it 2 petrol stations is a bit close. This is a massive ball ache, as you can end up filling up £2 or £3 at a time, just in case. Would be a lot easier with a spare can. Even 1 litre would get you 20 miles

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:52 - 26 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks amazing but even colder up top than in the summer cos winter.

Thumbs Up

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:02 - 27 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northern Monkey wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

The last day I did Inverness - Applecross - Newcastle. About 450 miles. This comes not recommended. About 200 per day is about the max for an MSX.

Also, it turns out an MSX can't keep up with a fireblade on the straight bits, or on the bendy bits, or anywhere really

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/geoffhill/29B4A1C1-18B0-4EE6-98DB-A1760C4793A7_zpsulxk8aw2.jpg

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/geoffhill/2286D82E-6A56-4455-BC47-BCE62D89F93F_zpseeumgeab.jpg

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/geoffhill/7315F2F0-F00E-422A-8EBD-B685892143CD_zpskt4nz88r.jpg

Lovely pictures and fairplay doing it on a 125. However, what's the point of doing it on a 125 when you stick a bloody great topbox on it. To me that just negates the reason for riding a small light bike.

You will never convince me touring is good on a little bike though. I sort of get peppers choice for a 250 (poor deluded chap that he is Wink ) but a 125 with luggage. Fine until is pisses down with rain, is cold and you still have 200 miles to your hotel. Then I want 1000cc's, good weather protection and a motorway.

If a 125 is all you have though, Thumbs Up . Go for it. Just don't plan on long distances each day if you want to keep it enjoyable.

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:16 - 27 Feb 2017    Post subject: Re: What it would be like to ride a 125cc for 2,000 miles? Reply with quote

ditnu wrote:
UK bikers probably know where this is going..

Rainpal trials?

Northern Monkey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:44 - 27 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's only 37L it just looks huge because its a small bike. It's the smallest size that holds my work laptop bag.

Derivative
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:19 - 01 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speed will be less of an issue than ride comfort.

Naked bikes are a pain in the arse to ride long distance.

A 125 that vibrates itself to bits even more so.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 00:41 - 02 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derivative wrote:
Speed will be less of an issue than ride comfort.

Naked bikes are a pain in the arse to ride long distance.

Less of an issue when it's a slow 125, where you're not spending much time in a significant wind blast.

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:46 - 24 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

well my honda msx 125 made it from london to north west scotland all in one trip with only stops for fuel and quick eat (4 snickers bars, sausage roll and and some water)

530 odd miles all in one go

took the motorway the whole way sat at 60 mph for 80% of the journey, the other 15% was the A82 road once past Glasgow doing about 50mph only a handful of times (5% of my journey) did my speed drop to 50mph due to strong winds on hills on the motorway

didnt burn any oil, this little bike loves the roads up here!!

ill post a separate full report when im back

by the way it cost me £19.50 in petrol to get here Laughing Laughing

Last edited by woo on 15:52 - 24 Jun 2017; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:52 - 24 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, but still rather you than me!
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:46 - 24 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

woo wrote:
well my honda msx 125 made it from london to north west scotland all in one trip with only stops for fuel and quick eat (4 snickers bars, sausage roll and and some water)

530 odd miles all in one go

didnt burn any oil, this little bike loves the roads up here!!

by the way it cost me £19.50 in petrol to get here Laughing Laughing

Excellent Thumbs Up you Sir are a top sausage, and as a processed meat sausage myself, that is a compliment.
Looking forward to reading your write up.

Snowdonia Rider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:32 - 24 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been thinking about taking my Monkey Bike to Irelands West Coast. All I need is a few more encouraging stories of 125's touring and I might do it Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 299 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4