Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What it would be like to ride a 125cc for 2,000 miles?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:40 - 25 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the Mrs getting a 125, it would be interesting to know what it would be like for buys on bigger bikes doing it with a 125, having to go at the slower pace the whole time?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:51 - 25 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracer1234 wrote:
With the Mrs getting a 125, it would be interesting to know what it would be like for buys on bigger bikes doing it with a 125, having to go at the slower pace the whole time?

I went on tour with a mate , he has a GSXR 750 and I used the mighty little Hyosung GT 250r.
I wasn't hard to keep a similar pace, because 30/40 mph limit in towns is the same for a 750 as it is for a 250.
Ditto 60 mph and speed restrictions on dual carriageway.

Then he couldn't use all his POWAAR! a lot of the time due to junctions and tight bends.

AND we wer`nt in a rush and he was considerate of the fact I was on a 250.

My biggest tip to anyone on a smaller capacity bike on tour is to stay off the motorways and major A-roads.
Plan your route around that and all will be fine, and even L-platers can join in Thumbs Up

lingeringstin...
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:21 - 25 Jun 2017    Post subject: miles Reply with quote

There is of course the problem of WHICH bike this would be. Bikes are not just clones with different engines.

My hardtail MZ with dire brakes, flat bars and a homemade seat is a thousand times easier to ride all day long than my CX500 ever was and I find you can chuck a 125 dirtbike around all day having great fun and still feel less knackered than 10 miles on my mate's "chopper" of many times the engine size.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:28 - 25 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comfort is king, no matter what the size of the bike.

I've found 130miles in a day on a trail bike fucked my arse (if that's the right expression?) And 620miles on a sports bike fucked my wrist as well as my arse.

That sort of miles every day would be a real test of endurance and pain on top of pain. Can't imagine enjoying it after a few days at it really?

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:05 - 26 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Comfort is king, no matter what the size of the bike.

This is as true as a true thing on national true day

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:36 - 26 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep comfort is king

ive had to cancel my trip to John O'Groats which was part of the 2nd half of my North coast 500 tour cos of numb bum!
even tho i have an air hawk cushion i can only take so much!
( i need to get the seat re-foamed)

i will still be doing my tour of Oban & Campbell Town & tour of the isle of skye

the honda msx in scotland is doing very well im getting around 150mpg and about 135 miles till reserve light on fuel plus i have a 1 litre bottle of fuel just incase

main thing is too just take your time and accept and understand that 125cc are slow especially on steep hill climbs Laughing

This is fun tho!!!!!!!!!!!!
(almost as much fun as when i did this on GSXR 1000 k6)

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:43 - 27 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

woo wrote:
yep comfort is king

ive had to cancel my trip to John O'Groats which was part of the 2nd half of my North coast 500 tour cos of numb bum!
even tho i have an air hawk cushion i can only take so much!
( i need to get the seat re-foamed)

i will still be doing my tour of Oban & Campbell Town & tour of the isle of skye

the honda msx in scotland is doing very well im getting around 150mpg and about 135 miles till reserve light on fuel plus i have a 1 litre bottle of fuel just incase

main thing is too just take your time and accept and understand that 125cc are slow especially on steep hill climbs Laughing

This is fun tho!!!!!!!!!!!!
(almost as much fun as when i did this on GSXR 1000 k6)

Don't tease us, pics or it didn't happen Evil or Very Mad
I know what you mean about having a seat re-foamed .
The seat on my Chinese pos is as hard as rocks.
I could not use this bike for a long tour until I get the seat recovered/re-upholstered.

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:36 - 27 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pics now only as you asked so nicely lol
Photos of the Honda MSX on the Scotland tour!

Today is pissing with rain and although I wanna ride out I need the rest lol, so I am actually kinda glad its pissing hard with rain, tomorrow is nice and clear so ima definitely head to Oban for a piece of haddock and chips

"Snowdonia Rider" take the monkey bike on a test run fully loaded with everything you need to take doing rides on roads that will be similar to your journey. (100 to 150 miles should suffice)
Any aches and pains will hopefully show up so you can find ways to resolve or minimise these.
This worked for me as I had a good idea then for what the real journey would be like.

Im doing my write up now as i go along on these 2 weeks ready for the upload when I am back in London

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:15 - 27 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quality Thumbs Up
I see you have a pad on your seat, does it help?

EDIT: Air Hawke cushion.

Last edited by pepperami on 14:27 - 27 Jun 2017; edited 1 time in total

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:21 - 27 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you taken anything with you? You know, like any kind of luggage? Or is this pure credit card touring in the clothes you stand up in?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:30 - 27 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres a pic with my bike with a bag fully loaded up with all clothes and laptop inside, plus i had a huge rucksack on my back with other stuff inside.

The air hawke cushion helped big time but it can only do so much as the standard seat is hard like a marble slab!

Im staying in one place and making all my journeys from there.
I refuse to camp in a tent its not for me unless I went with a whole squad of people and that was what everyone wanted to do.

In answer to the original poster question "What it would be like to ride a 125cc for 2,000 miles?"

My answer so far is using a 125cc for long distance has been fun, extremely cheap on petrol, slower than normal and I will definitely do it again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by woo on 22:23 - 27 Jun 2017; edited 2 times in total

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:40 - 27 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

woo wrote:

take the bike on a test run fully loaded with everything you need to take doing rides on roads that will be similar to your journey. (100 to 150 miles should suffice)
Any aches and pains will hopefully show up so you can find ways to resolve or minimise these.
This worked for me as I had a good idea then for what the real journey would be like.

I've done this with all bikes that I have toured on.
I took my Chinese pos on it's first longer trip last week.
I did 120 miles ish! and this highlighted what I already knew i.e. That I need to sort out the seat/padding.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:42 - 27 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

woo wrote:
Heres a pic with my bike with a bag fully loaded up with all clothes and laptop inside, plus i had a huge rucksack on my back with other stuff inside.

Had visions of the bike being invisible under a massive pile of luggage for some reason Laughing Looks perfectly reasonable. Mind you, "huge rucksack"...might give the effect I was wondering about Laughing

Quote:
Im staying in one place and making all my journeys from there.
I refuse to camp in a tent its not for me unless I went with a whole squad of people and that was what everyone wanted to do.

And these days, I wouldn't knock you for it! Midgies are bastards for one thing, and I found on my last tour it was far preferable to choose 'bases' for a few days from which to explore, although that one was a bit more ambitious than the NC500, which actually, wasn't bad moving on each day (with B&B/hotels).

Looking forward to your write up Thumbs Up
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:32 - 27 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i got back from the Applecross run to my lodge the whole place outside was full of midges!
I didnt take my helmet off till i got inside!

Imagine having to get in a tent with the midges outside..... I am no Bear Grylls, then having to walk to the communal toilets for a piss with the midges waiting for you..........nope not for me Laughing

Snowdonia Rider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:24 - 27 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

woo wrote:

"Snowdonia Rider" take the monkey bike on a test run fully loaded with everything you need to take doing rides on roads that will be similar to your journey. (100 to 150 miles should suffice)

Im doing my write up now as i go along on these 2 weeks ready for the upload when I am back in London

Good idea that, I already need to stretch my legs after about an hour on it so I guess that would be the biggest problem. I've decided I'm going to take it to the Cliffs of Moher and back Mr. Green

Looking forward to the write up Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:02 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked up one of those "Air Hawke" cushions today.
Only had a short spin on the bike once it was fitted (very easy).
However it feels like it's going to transform the bike.

Slowly this Chinese pos is being turned into a usable bike Shocked , nah! That can't be right? Smile

Snowdonia Rider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:55 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
Picked up one of those "Air Hawke" cushions today.
Only had a short spin on the bike once it was fitted (very easy).
However it feels like it's going to transform the bike.

Slowly this Chinese pos is being turned into a usable bike Shocked , nah! That can't be right? Smile

How much was it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:48 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snowdonia Rider wrote:

How much was it?

Sorry I didn't get it new/retail . However I am under the impression that they go for about £125 Shocked

melissaryce
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:44 - 09 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on your daily mile targets, weather condition and road condition. However, it will be an unforgettable bike tour for sure. My advice is to carry only few luggage as it is going to be a tiring ride.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:56 - 10 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I regularly ride 100+, 200 and 300+ mile trips on little bikes.

Straight fast roads are boring. Adding journey time by taking windy routes, that go through small towns and villages and take in 30,40 speed limit roads make it much more interesting.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:11 - 10 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
I regularly ride 100+, 200 and 300+ mile trips on little bikes..

Do tell,pics or it didn't happen Wink

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:21 - 10 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
thx1138 wrote:
I regularly ride 100+, 200 and 300+ mile trips on little bikes..

Do tell,pics or it didn't happen Wink

heh, just trawl through the picture thread,

up at Hardknott Pass on my 250 one week, down at Brightona the next, and my 250 has knobbly tyres, so it's as slow as a 125

but I sold the CBF125 now.

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:13 - 20 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

fellas just uploaded my 125cc tour of 2200 miles Cool

Peter Ryder
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 09:10 - 08 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello
First post here, have not ridden for 2000 miles but, returning to biking after medical absence, have just purchased a Honda CB125F and yesterday rode to Edinburgh and back, 240 miles, and need to tell someone how it felt. My last bike was a NC700. This one is SLOW still running the thing in. Beautiful scenery but beware annoyed drivers behind - choice of roads is important, busy A ones are out, very minor with dodgy surfaces dangerous as well. After 200 miles posterior soreness cuts in, oh pain. Filled up after 240 m and just a touch over 2 gallons (although I have seen a claim of 220 mpg.... 150 mpg is makers claim). The bike is Twinkle Yellow (say Honda), Gorse Yellow say I, and - this I had not realised - gets covered in flies every time I park it. Anyone else had this problem?

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:22 - 08 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your HDR has kinda ruined the how the colour looks on the bike. My Green stipple used to have the same "problem" with fly, although I never considered it an issue. Is the bike brand new?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 173 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4