Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

How to locate ceiling joists.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

Yorkshire Geek
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:44 - 25 Feb 2017    Post subject: How to locate ceiling joists. Reply with quote

So I need to screw a baton to a ceiling and in really don't have any clue on how to find the joists short of making trial holes. Anyone got any tips?

kerr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:51 - 25 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its either test holes or a stud finder
https://www.screwfix.com/p/zircon-studsensor-edge-stud-finder/2612k

They can be a bit of hit and miss though.

tony_d123
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 11:18 - 26 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you lightly tap the ceiling with a hammer you will hear the sound change where the joist is. It sounds more solid. They are normally 400mm or 600mm apart, 16" or 24" in old money.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:31 - 26 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know what way they run? I'd start by figuring that out, or you may make a 100 holes and not hit one.

Go upstairs and lift a bit of carpet somewhere and see what way the floorboards run, the joists will run the opposite way.
This way you can at least you drill your holes along the correct wall.

Use Gyproc easi-fill to make good any unnecessary exploratory holes.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:59 - 26 Feb 2017    Post subject: Re: How to locate ceiling joists. Reply with quote

Yorkshire Geek wrote:
So I need to screw a baton to a ceiling and in really don't have any clue on how to find the joists short of making trial holes. Anyone got any tips?

On the assumption that it's a batten, rather than a baton, that you want to screw to your ceiling... Surprised

https://www.qmuniforms.com/photos/styles/BA059_500_1.JPG

...as well as the other suggestions; assuming you've worked out where you want the batten to go, bear in mind that the area of ceiling under the batten will be hidden from view, so having narrowed down more-or-less where the joists are by tapping, you can then poke a bradawl or spike into the ceiling within that area more or less with impunity, as the test holes won't be seen when the batten is fixed Thumbs Up

(That assumes you'll be fixing the batten at right-angles to the joists? Otherwise, if you have to attach it the parallel direction, you'll be restricted where it can go; unless you don't mind things getting more complicated; and in which case let us know. What's the batten for?)

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:02 - 26 Feb 2017    Post subject: Re: How to locate ceiling joists. Reply with quote

Yorkshire Geek wrote:

A typical yorkie....

Would simply tap with their knuckles till they hear the sound change Laughing

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:24 - 26 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

No more nails...

Yorkshire Geek
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:10 - 26 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ta for the tips guys, will see if I can do this without breaking anything.

And yes, a batten #shameface

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:42 - 26 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever the ceiling is, plasterboard or lath, it will have been nailed or screwed to the joists.
Stud detectors are a bit hit and miss, but I've found switching them to metal detection can find the screws / nails. Mark them and you'll find they run in lines = joists. Should even be roughly centre of joists.
Knocking and listening should narrow the search area down.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 16:09 - 28 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnw010 wrote:
Whatever the ceiling is, plasterboard or lath, it will have been nailed or screwed to the joists.
Stud detectors are a bit hit and miss, but I've found switching them to metal detection can find the screws / nails. Mark them and you'll find they run in lines = joists. Should even be roughly centre of joists.
Knocking and listening should narrow the search area down.

My one has always been bang on it weren't an expensive one either, only £25 I think.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:05 - 28 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worth mentioning that while convention and common sense dictates wiring and pipework should be either in a notch on top of a joist or running through a hole in the centre of them, it could be a serious error to assume this is definately the case.

Take this from someone who drilled into the rising main while fitting battens for a suspended ceiling. Said rising main turned out to have been shoved up into a notch on the underside of the joist then had the plasterboard for the ceiling fixed below it to stop it dropping out again.

Thankfuly, it's an old house so there is a lot of redundancy in the joist thickness.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 17:34 - 01 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a few joists that have been significantly drilled through(50%+), to put up spot lights. Rolling Eyes I'm just trying not to think about it Laughing

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:53 - 02 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can get above then simply poke a bradawl through either side of the joist(s) and then fill afterwards.

Failing that it's tappy-tappy pokey-pokey and pray you don't hit a bodgit-and-scarper wiring job. I usually use a stud sensor to find any live wires/pipes then go from there if I can't get above.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 55 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1