Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

are 125s overgeared

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

czakal
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:15 - 26 Feb 2017    Post subject: are 125s overgeared Reply with quote

Now that I'm back on the road after a year (and back on 125 again at that) I'm starting to remember some tips from my instructor. He mentioned that the CG125s we were using was overgeared, so 5th gear was often too high in most cases. Given that I've rarely ridden outside city environments I rarely had a chance to see it in practice. Has anyone had experience with this issue with small cc bikes?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ben90
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:06 - 26 Feb 2017    Post subject: Re: are 125s overgeared Reply with quote

czakal wrote:
Now that I'm back on the road after a year (and back on 125 again at that) I'm starting to remember some tips from my instructor. He mentioned that the CG125s we were using was overgeared, so 5th gear was often too high in most cases. Given that I've rarely ridden outside city environments I rarely had a chance to see it in practice. Has anyone had experience with this issue with small cc bikes?

5th gear on 125cc 4 strokes isn't really meant for accelerating, more as a cruising gear. On my old YBR I tended to get to the desired speed in 4th and then change to 5th. If you lose speed in 5th then you're either too heavy, going uphill or there's something wrong with the engine.

Simple solution change to front sprocket to a smaller one, although this will reduce your top end speed you might be grateful for the added acceleration in the city.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 17:32 - 26 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost all road bikes are 'over geared' in so much that the top gear ratio provides a top speed higher than peak power will allow.

Most 125's, without the amount of power bigger bikes have, tend to be far less over geared, and the top gear ratio fixed much closer to providing the top speed their power will allow.

Matter I suspect is somewhat mute, though, and I suspect that the missing link in what you recall from what your instructor was trying to tell you was "Use the Revs, not the gears"

Forget ratios'... little CG has a 10bhp engine, that is pretty linear in its delivery and power pretty proportional to engine revs, so if t's deverng 10bhp at 10,000 revs its it's delivering about 1bhp per 1000, so 1bhp at tickover, 2 at 2K, 3 at 3K, 4 at 4 etc.

Trouble is, that 'drag' increases in a ramp that's not linear. Takes around 3bhp to go 30mph, 9bhp to go 60, 27bhp to go 90.. ie to go 30mph faster takes 3x the power.

Little CG125, can make 3bhp with the throttle wide open, as low as 3ooo rpm, so go 30.... and it can probably do that in top gear... but try and accelerate.... if you go faster, engine can deliver more power, but takes more power to go faster than the power you get for it... so you have to change down, to get the engine up to revs where there's power to let you go faster.

And the trouble with little learner bikes, is that it seems counter intuatve to most learners to change down to go faster, and round town dong most learner exercises, usually on sub 40mph roads, very easy and feels more natural to short shift and use the higher gears, than to let the thing rev in the lower ones, ad that denies throttle response and a lot of potential 'control'.

Its not so much that the gearing is inherently too tall, it isn't. It's just that they don't have a lot of power, and learners who tend to try ridg them in too tall a gear, and doing too much work on the gears, changing up too much making work to change back down again. in their nievity and enthusiasm and ignorance, and little bikes don't have the excess to give them the flexibility to make then not so important.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:42 - 26 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, 5th gear on my 125 was pointless for top speed. It was only there to keep the revs down a bit on the flat or downhill.

The answer to any followup question is: get a licence, get a bigger bike. Even my Ninja 250 is far better, and the gearing is spot on for its top speed.

czakal
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:19 - 26 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips, very informative as always. I did have a YBR250 that was very comfortable for open carriageways... until it was badly damaged in an attempted hotwire theft. I sold the remains for scrap and stayed off the road for a year. I decided it's safer to get a bargain basement machine this time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 20:37 - 26 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

czakal wrote:
Thanks for the tips, very informative as always. I did have a YBR250 that was very comfortable for open carriageways... until it was badly damaged in an attempted hotwire theft. I sold the remains for scrap and stayed off the road for a year. I decided it's safer to get a bargain basement machine this time.

So why buy a 125?

You tend to pay a premium on the buy price for fact any-one can hang an L-Plate on them; you pay a premium n the insurance as so many are crashed by un qualifed, inexperienced L-Platers, and so many are nicked by half grown adolescence who don't get squashed trying to take them off their side stand? And that'd before L-plate standards of maintenance are applied and old ones suddenly need a whole lot of remedial work, just to make them not so bad.

For ultimate cheaps on a full licence, I would have bought something like an old Honda CD200 or CB Two-Fifty or a Suzuki SR250 or 'something'.. and a BIG lock and chain!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

czakal
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:44 - 26 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was for £600, if I use it for less than a year it pays back in savings on season tickets already.

rhys99
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:46 - 26 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Aprilia isn't, can hit the rev limiter easily in 6th gear.
21:16:02 Fin: I got a girl to believe I have a huge dick today, she's going to be so disappointed
K̶5̶ ̶S̶V̶6̶5̶0̶S̶ K3 SV650N

czakal
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 02:38 - 27 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't it 2 stroke?

czakal
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 02:44 - 27 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

As another note, my choice of a cheap 125cc bike was also because of the London low emission zone where anything from before July 2007 will be subject to a daily charge. Many of the cheaper large bikes tend to be quite old.

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:01 - 27 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

5th on my CG actually made it go slower.

rhys99
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:36 - 27 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

czakal wrote:
Isn't it 2 stroke?
Nope.
RS4= 4 stroke
RS= 2 stroke
21:16:02 Fin: I got a girl to believe I have a huge dick today, she's going to be so disappointed
K̶5̶ ̶S̶V̶6̶5̶0̶S̶ K3 SV650N

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:38 - 28 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... my XR (same engine as the CG but different gearing I believe) used to accelerate in 5th and you needed it to reach maximum velocity, which was normally dependent on the wind that particular day.

I can see 6 gears being overkill on a 125, I wish the MT-03 had a 6th gear just to shut the thing up at high speed.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:56 - 28 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Hmm... my XR (same engine as the CG but different gearing I believe) used to accelerate in 5th and you needed it to reach maximum velocity, which was normally dependent on the wind that particular day.

I can see 6 gears being overkill on a 125, I wish the MT-03 had a 6th gear just to shut the thing up at high speed.

My CG is the same. I use 5th regularly but it helps to let it sing a little before changing up to it. Strong winds and hills make 5th unusable at times.

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:36 - 28 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

50-55mph on the flat, in 4th with me laying on the tank with legs tucked up was its terminal velocity

5th an the revs would die rapidly

to be fair it was a 1984 CG

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:19 - 28 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2001 does about 65 on the flat tucked in but needs 5th to do it. Has no trouble getting to 55 without a special effort.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 55 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1