Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Housing help needed

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Daz1245
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 16:32 - 28 Feb 2017    Post subject: Housing help needed Reply with quote

Hello all I'm kinda stuck I a rut here and need to know the fastest option for housing in the midlands.

I live in a hostel in Birmingham and where I live I'm not allowed to work as I have to claim Jsa for there service charge and housing benefit

Everywhere I apply for housing I need to be in work or have a large deposit to move in, when it's impossible to save up when living on £55 per week.

I've registered with housing direct and currently in band A so top of the list but everything I bid on I'm about 100th in the que.

Does anyone know what options I have regarding getting out of a hostel and into my own flat, studio etc

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:42 - 28 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the company/charity that runs your hostel have any "move on" advisors?

Otherwise, look for local housing charities like YMCA. Not necessarily because they will house you but they will be able to guide you through the maze of options.

Also, some Housing Associations or Social Landlords as they are now called have schemes to help people in your situation with deposits etc or sometimes with halfway house accommodation or even education and training.

Good luck Thumbs Up

Daz1245
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 16:48 - 28 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hostel here does nothing to move you on or help you as they want you here for the money and make it hard to move on I've registered with a few housing associations and all they ever say is bid on properties and been bidding since December and still no luck
Thanks for the reply
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:00 - 28 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

citizens advice would be your best bet I would think

also talk to your jsa mentor (presuming you have one as you claim, what do they say when you say you cant apply for jobs because you cant work and live where you are

Daz1245
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 17:02 - 28 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyscooter wrote:

also talk to your jsa mentor (presuming you have one as you claim, what do they say when you say you cant apply for jobs because you cant work and live where you are

Ha funny story they kept stopping my claim and stopping my housing benefit, then hostel threatened to kick me out as money had stopped went back to job centre to ask what can I do and they said go doctors and get a sick note which I have done and I'm in the process of getting esa now, it's just nuts here I hate it

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:07 - 28 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daz1245 wrote:
andyscooter wrote:

Ha funny story they kept stopping my claim and stopping my housing benefit, then hostel threatened to kick me out as money had stopped went back to job centre to ask what can I do and they said go doctors and get a sick note which I have done and I'm in the process of getting esa now, it's just nuts here I hate it

are you on your own or with a family

also have you got any local mates you could stay with for a few weeks

if you get kicked out because you are working stay with a mate but make sure its not permeant and it should hoof you up the waiting list for a flat from housing or they will find you a proper hostel to live in until you sort yourself a bit
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Daz1245
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 17:20 - 28 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on my own at mo and can't stay with family as overstayed my welcome before as was homeless not too long ago and now I'm here, I'm happy I've got a roof over my head but just feel like I have hit a brick wall, I have no friends I can stay with as it's always more than a few weeks as need to get full time job and save for a deposit etc also most places you need to be in full time employment for at least 6 moths before they will accept you, just getting fed up being sat here on my phone googling housing all day trying to find more options.

Daz1245
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 17:28 - 28 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fazer. wrote:
Buy a lottery ticket 31M jackpot tonight on the EuroMillions.

O yes sounds like a plan, even if I won I would still keep my bike plus buy shit loads more of them

Poecilotheria
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:28 - 28 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will ask my sis in law if there are any ways fast, she works for SHELTER. Alternatively, look online at housing associations and see if they say have open places, call them up and see what they say. we did that and got offered 3,4 places within a month- mostly sh*t holes but a place is a place right.

Dont bother with letting agents they are cocks, what they did to us was said yes took a deposit of near 600 and then changed their minds once a bigger wallet walked in. Deposits are BS, guarantor, etc. Honestly friend, start calling housing associations up / websites even in places you may want to live but some sort family living there etc. It will be faster than most other ways. Will get back again when i talk to sis in law she is great at it.

Daz1245
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 17:37 - 28 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will do, I've contacted about 3 or 4 and they all say regretter on housingdirect website and bid on properties, which I've been doing for a while now, thanks for your help

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:04 - 28 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where in Midlands are you op
Just a thought would it be worth renting a room there are a fair few round here

When you get a job use first weeks wage as deposit dint tell jsa til second week so you have somthing to live on
Full weeks work at min wage will cover deposit and a few weeks rent for a room

Not ideal but better then you have now

Daz1245
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 18:07 - 28 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in maypole south birmingham

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:34 - 01 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daz1245 wrote:
I'm in maypole south birmingham

sorry only just got online

so not too far from rubbery really then which has loads of rooms for about 70 quid a week

lad used to work with me had one in a house with three others

another lad and a couple

he seemed to like living there and commuted into Bromsgrove by bus but as you have a bike you can use that

may be worth looking into

Daz1245
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 18:49 - 01 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is rubbery ?

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:03 - 01 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tritey's place, I assume

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:45 - 01 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daz1245 wrote:
Where is rubbery ?

Sorry Rubery its south Birmingham area

LustyLew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:04 - 09 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dare I say it, and I like most of us would only do it as a last resort.

How much is your bike worth? Do you REALLY need it? Even if it's £1k, it will help grease the wheels with HMO landlords. If you can offer a 6 or 8 weeks rent up front they'll be more likely tempted.

I do hope you manage to sort your situation. Seems if you're single you're expected to fend for yourself...

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:58 - 09 Mar 2017    Post subject: Re: Housing help needed Reply with quote

Daz1245 wrote:
Hello all I'm kinda stuck I a rut here and need to know the fastest option for housing in the midlands.

I live in a hostel in Birmingham and where I live I'm not allowed to work as I have to claim Jsa for there service charge and housing benefit

not sure that is legally the case though probably what they told you, do you have a tenancy agreement, a residents agreement, are you a licensee?

You probably can work, but they won't drop the rent which is probably eyewateringy high on top of the service charge, making it almost impossible to earn, pay rent, pay service charge, buy food etc

Quote:

Might not be. I think the Shelter helpline would be a better starting place,
https://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/how_we_can_help/housing_advice_helpline

0808 800 4444
It's open 365 days of the year from 8am – 8pm on weekdays and 8am – 5pm on weekends.
Our housing experts will advise you, no matter what your housing situation. Our helpline does get busy, but keep trying if you can't get through.
Calls are free from UK landlines and all major UK mobile operators.
Our webchat service is usually open 9am – 5pm, Monday to Friday.  
You can also talk to a face-to-face advisor in one of our Shelter advice centres – service opening hours vary.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 15:14 - 09 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a Daniel Blake?

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/16996128_10155021681083476_4766688486099891412_n.jpg?oh=f396b09f021df4c406daf14141929f9a&oe=5926439C

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:51 - 09 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did that work out for Daniel?

Holdawayt
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:09 - 09 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a job and pay rent on a flat like the rest of us who can't afford a deposit on a mortgage?

Derivative
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:40 - 10 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Everywhere I apply for housing I need to be in work or have a large deposit to move in

Flat or house share? You might be able to find someone who'll take you in as a lodger with a couple hundred as deposit or less?

Birmingham might well be a bit cheaper/manageable but I know very few people renting even a studio or 1 bedroom flat - it's all house sharing and that's for folk with relatively well paid jobs.

I'd basically be aiming for building up a level of trust with someone and crashing on the sofa as step 1 TBH.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:53 - 11 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derivative wrote:
I know very few people renting even a studio or 1 bedroom flat - it's all house sharing and that's for folk with relatively well paid jobs.

Sad but true, unless you manage to get a housing association/council place it's likely going to be a house share.

Edit: depending on OP's age the housing benefit cap's fairly low for younger folk anyway. In London I believe it's £90 p/w so you're looking at a bedsit. An upgrade but only slightly Neutral
Poundshop Dave This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 47 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2