Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Discount Rate change = grumpy insurers = premiums up

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:06 - 28 Feb 2017    Post subject: Discount Rate change = grumpy insurers = premiums up Reply with quote

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/02/27/uk-insurers-hit-back-crazy-personal-injury-rate-change-share/

Surprised Mr Borg hasn't jumped in with this one already.

Basically, any insurance companies writing classes with long tail bodily injury exposures (motor, predominantly), are about to have the asses well and truly torn out of them which will only lead to one thing; rates up.

When dealing with bodily injury claims, reserves are set based on a set of actuarial tables called the Ogden Tables. Within these there are a number of columns that outline what's known as the Discount Rate.

So, once you've worked out how long future care will be needed for, then when your injured party is likely to die, you work out from the Ogden Table what your total cost multiplier will be and the Discount Rate is used.

The MoJ have gone totes spastic and changed that rate from 2.25% to -0.75% which is an absolutely huge shift which will add a huge £££ increase to the cost of longer term care requiring claims.

The best of it, well this applies to claims that are SETTLED after 20th March this year. That means insurers will have to cover a good number of years of retrospective losses - as the claims they've already reserved for will now need to be re-reserved, and will invariably now carry a much higher £ amount number against them.

The laughs a minute MoJ has also picked -0.75% which there isn't actually a column for within the table Laughing -0.5% or -1.0% no problem, but in the middle just doesn't work, it's not linear #Trollinfosho'

It's all kicking off nicely with share prices of insurers crashing around their ears and the champagne fund being told to go on the wrong kind of ice right now.

What does it all mean? Well, in short - expect premium hikes, and sizable ones. Cheers Govt Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:13 - 28 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does that mean that I don't dare challenge my renewal quote even though I think it's a bit high?

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:14 - 28 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Does that mean that I don't dare challenge my renewal quote even though I think it's a bit high?

No I'd say challenge even harder; what you'll possibly find is that the knock on of this will be that the fat intermediaries creaming high commissions and adding policy issue fees will finally get squeezed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:29 - 28 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So this is already in effect, not imminent? If so I'll get on the phone as my renewal's a bit spastic this year.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:30 - 28 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
So this is already in effect, not imminent? If so I'll get on the phone as my renewal's a bit spastic this year.

I doubt anyone has taken the view to uplift rates immediately as it will take a few months to analyse at least.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:38 - 28 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, I'm saving my Full Beaker for Vnuk being pencilled into the statutes.

https://68.media.tumblr.com/4590e29248123380da547bed564cc856/tumblr_inline_oe62rylYa71su0t3d_500.gif

Is it an option for insurers to pay compo for ongoing spazzcare in instalments rather than a lump sum up front?

Which would also give them an ongoing opportunity to spot scammers who miraculously recover outside the courtroom.

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:53 - 28 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arry,
I wonder how this will effect companies in run-off? We manage a fair bit of business in the London market Asbestos/Pollution/Health-hazard arena, a fair whack of it's BI. (I just write the computer systems, don't have much of an understanding of the business at that depth).

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:47 - 28 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_Pagin wrote:
Arry,
I wonder how this will effect companies in run-off? We manage a fair bit of business in the London market Asbestos/Pollution/Health-hazard arena, a fair whack of it's BI. (I just write the computer systems, don't have much of an understanding of the business at that depth).

The same, mate. If a reserve has been posted, it'll need amending. The longer the tail, the more severe the impact, so industrial disease and asbestos claims will be catastrophic.

Edit, actually thinking that through it's not quite so bad. Industrial Disease and Asbestos tend to strike late on in life which means your number of years to mortality isn't quite so striking.

Last edited by arry on 20:53 - 28 Feb 2017; edited 1 time in total

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:52 - 28 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Is it an option for insurers to pay compo for ongoing spazzcare in instalments rather than a lump sum up front?

Which would also give them an ongoing opportunity to spot scammers who miraculously recover outside the courtroom.

I think that's the way it'll drive it but that's not without its implications either. Just as many could get worse as get better for starters.

The idea of a Part 36 offer was very much get it off the books and locked down as soon as possible. That's much better for managing, as an example, your reinsurance programme and costs.

Having an ongoing claim for more years than you would have had otherwise makes a big dent on Opex.

No easy way out.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:03 - 28 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this a bit like when insrance companies were told that they couldn't assess risk based on gender and they all started warning that premiums were going to go up?

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:05 - 28 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Is this a bit like when insrance companies were told that they couldn't assess risk based on gender and they all started warning that premiums were going to go up?

No, that was just bluster. This will be costing cold hard cash and no getting around it.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:23 - 28 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, 3% increase in the discount on £1M supposed to last 20 years? Thats £50k a year

For the first year, you'd need another £1500 extra.
For the second year, you'd need £1500 plus 3% (£45)
For the thrid year you'd need £1545 plus 3%

etc

etc.

I can't see how this will increase the total payment made by a quarter, which is what would be needed to justify increasing premiums by that amount.

After all they could always just reduce their profits.

https://www.aviva.com/media/news/item/aviva-plc-2016-interim-results-announcement-17651/

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:49 - 28 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

No, that was just bluster. This will be costing cold hard cash and no getting around it.

I thought they did, for women (obviously). For blokes I believe they came down a little.

dave05
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 06:40 - 01 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

insurance has us by the balls anyway £25 change of vehicle £25 if you cancel £££££££ for anything just winds me up Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:43 - 01 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave05 wrote:
insurance has us by the balls anyway £25 change of vehicle £25 if you cancel £££££££ for anything just winds me up Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Very rarely the company actually taking any risk.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:48 - 01 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

You understand ROCE?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:41 - 01 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

You understand ROCE?

yes. It's the usual justification for trying to pay less than the minimum wage.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:00 - 03 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
So, 3% increase in the discount on £1M supposed to last 20 years? Thats £50k a year

etc

etc.

I can't see how this will increase the total payment made by a quarter, which is what would be needed to justify increasing premiums by that amount.

It doesn't really work that way - the calculation is a lot more complicated.

For reference, we've just had our analysis through - a £4.4m claim has been increased to £10.7m Shocked Laughing

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 13:59 - 03 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

etc

etc.

It doesn't really work that way - the calculation is a lot more complicated.

For reference, we've just had our analysis through - a £4.4m claim has been increased to £10.7m Shocked Laughing

Beforehand, you were assuming that the stock market was going to triple your funds!?!!!???

Even the housing market doesn't go up like that.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:34 - 03 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure I follow....

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:09 - 03 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets put it this way, I know for some balance sheets (nuclear decomissioning) that are a bit more long term than the insurance industry. They haven't increased to the same rate despite the same discounting rate change.

Anyway, assuming that £4M will fund before but will need to be £10M now, is almost tripling.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:05 - 06 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, today was the day when i had to calculate the change to the discount on my £2 million early retirement provision as the treasury had decreased the discount rate by 2%.

Although my provision is relatively short term at 5 years, I was absolutely horrified about the amount I had to increase it. The shareholders will insist on wages being forced down to maintain their profits.

After all £19k is going to make such a difference....

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:35 - 11 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the impact on our particular run-off clients will be minimal, the vast majority of their assureds are in the USA, and from what I've been told it's the jurisdiction of the assured that's the key factor, not that of the underwriters.
Might even be a little renaissance for the run-off business if a few motor insurers can't meet the inflated reserves required and keel over. Very Happy

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:31 - 11 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any news on underwriters closing their books to high risks? Bennetts are suggesting it may happen, at least short term.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:32 - 11 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Any news on underwriters closing their books to high risks? Bennetts are suggesting it may happen, at least short term.

High hazard liability is certainly affected.

To give you an idea, we've had a 7m claim go to 15.8m. Our limit of indemnity is 10m - but there's an excess layer policy for another 10m provided by someone else.

Beforehand they'd no involvement on that claim as it didn't breach our limit. Now they're like WTF Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 40 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2