Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Need advice. Should I give up

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Teejay2004
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:26 - 28 Feb 2017    Post subject: Need advice. Should I give up Reply with quote

Hi. I'm new to all this. I have never risen a bike before but I've drove a car for seven years. Ive had two tries at cbt. The first one I was absolutely cracking my pants and by the end of half a day I could ride round in circles. I went back for a second try. Did all my manoeuvres brill. Ten mins before goin on the road I hit the front brake too sharp came off and nearly broke my wrist. I'm just wondering if it's normal for someone not to do their cbt first time round. I was determined to do my cbt but after the last two tries I'm now debating it. Any advice welcome

Sarah

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:40 - 28 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you had it nailed the second time and just had a moment of not thinking when you grabbed the front brake.
I dropped the bike on my CBT - grabbed the front brake on a slow manoeuvre. It went down, I hopped off. Didn't damage the bike or myself so I still managed to do the rest of the day.
Sounds like you can do it.

Azoth
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:46 - 28 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A low-speed off and a typical mistake. Tbh I think it happens to almost everyone at some point, but only once, because it's a mistake not repeated. Count yourself lucky it wasn't a high speed corner, on gravel. Picturing it in my head, as the bike went down you went over and forward, and slightly to the left because your grip on the brake also pulled the right-side handlebar inward. Thus, your body weight probably sprained your wrist as you were holding on to the bike. Treat it as a learning experience. Never instinctively grab the front brake - even an emergency braking maneuvre is a measured and deliberate act on a bike. Also, stay loose and easy on the bars. I think you'll nail it next time. Sounds like you're a natural. Encore une fois! Thumbs Up

Last edited by Azoth on 22:47 - 28 Feb 2017; edited 1 time in total

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:46 - 28 Feb 2017    Post subject: Re: Need advice. Should I give up Reply with quote

Teejay2004 wrote:
I'm just wondering if it's normal for someone not to do their cbt first time round.

There's a lot to take in. I went back for a 2nd bite at it, plenty of people do. It's not a 1 day course, it's as long as you need to complete all of the elements.

If you're still enjoying it, I wouldn't throw in the towel just yet.

If you want to get a 125 of your own and wobble around on it a while, you might consider doing the CBT on a twist-and-go just to get your ticket.

Teejay2004
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:55 - 28 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rufous wrote:
A low-speed off and a typical mistake. Tbh I think it happens to almost everyone at some point, but only once, because it's a mistake not repeated. Count yourself lucky it wasn't a high speed corner, on gravel. Picturing it in my head, as the bike went down you went over and forward, and slightly to the left because your grip on the brake also pulled the right-side handlebar inward. Thus, your body weight probably sprained your wrist as you were holding on to the bike. Treat it as a learning experience. Never instinctively grab the front brake - even an emergency braking maneuvre is a measured and deliberate act on a bike. Also, stay loose and easy on the bars. I think you'll nail it next time. Sounds like you're a natural. Encore une fois! Thumbs Up

What happened was I was slow moving to a junction panicked and slammed the break. The bike lent to the right I tried to hold it up abit the bike went down so I threw my hand down to stop me falling and fell on top of my wrist. I have booked in for another try. But I am very glad it didn't happen on the road.

Thank you everyone for your replies. I'm booked in again in two weeks. Hopefully it will be my last. I'm trying to see it as extra tuition rather then failing ha .

Teejay2004
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:58 - 28 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure I wanna go for a twist and go. The o my issue I seem to be having is the front break. I e nailed the gears and every other element. Just need to remember I can't grab the break in a panic.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:03 - 28 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

View going back multiple times as a blessing because it's far better to get as much instruction as you can as opposed to passing after "two hours" on the road and then being let out on your own to wobble around with no idea what's what. While passing first time might be the ultimate goal it doesn't mean it's the best. The roads are a minefield at the best of times even with experience under yer belt.

Keep on keeping on, cliche.

Spring is around the corner and should be with us sooner rather than latter, you'll thank yourself then when whizzing around in days of sunshine.

Thumbs Up

Teejay2004
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:09 - 28 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not gonna give up just yet. It is something I really wanna do. I e re booked in two weeks. Fingers crossed it will go better. If not it's another chance to learn as u say

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:11 - 28 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teejay2004 wrote:
Not sure I wanna go for a twist and go. The o my issue I seem to be having is the front break. I e nailed the gears and every other element. Just need to remember I can't grab the break in a panic.

'Break' is what you nearly did to your wrist. The thing on the bike is a 'brake' Wink

Stick with it. Sounds like you'll be fine!

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 23:11 - 28 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you have a good attitude. Don't fret about it, stop-start riding is the most technically challenging, and you're doing it in a cramped environment full of other learners on haphazardly maintained bikes with no riding aids. It doesn't get any harder than that.

Actually, it literally doesn't: combined or anti-lock brakes are now mandatory on every bike, even 50s and 125s, so future learners are going to have it easier.

I mentioned the twist-and-go just because it'll be easier to get through the CBT on. It doesn't (yet) limit you to riding automatic bikes afterwards.

If you want to stick with gears, good on you. Keep your fingers off the brake and clutch unless you're actually intending to use them, you'll be fine next time.

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:18 - 28 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Sounds like you have a good attitude. Don't fret about it, stop-start riding is the most technically challenging, and you're doing it in a cramped environment full of other learners on haphazardly maintained bikes with no riding aids. It doesn't get any harder than that.

Actually, it literally doesn't: combined or anti-lock brakes are now mandatory on every bike, even 50s and 125s, so future learners are going to have it easier.

I mentioned the twist-and-go just because it'll be easier to get through the CBT on. It doesn't (yet) limit you to riding automatic bikes afterwards.

If you want to stick with gears, good on you. Keep your fingers off the brake and clutch unless you're actually intending to use them, you'll be fine next time.

^^what he said.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!

Oh, and before I forget....Do you like cats?

Teejay2004
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:23 - 28 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^what he said.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!

Oh, and before I forget....Do you like cats?[/quote]

Thank you ...... cats ???? Lol.

Thank you for your advice and being so welcoming. Fingers crossed I may have good news In two weeks. Will post the result.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 06:55 - 01 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBT is scripted by the DSA and is arranged 'notionally' around the idea that an 'average' student should be able to complete it in a day, but t is only a notional suggestion.

Many do take more than a day, or one attempt, there is a heck of a lot to take in on CBT for a 'first' lesson, and without much or any experience to give much of it meaning, an awful lot will be in one ear and out the other as soon as that exercise is completed... if you are lucky bits will come back to you as you gain experience and they suddenly make sense and/or have relevance, though.

Don't worry too much about falling off, ,many, many do! And good for getting back in the saddle.

Remember, it JUST a first lesson, and the grade you need make at each section, is pretty low; it's not trying to turn you into a competent qualified rider, it's just trying to get you up to speed, as a Learner, so that on the road, you aren't a complete disaster looking for a place to land, and have some basic know how of what you should be doing, before you get out there. Real ambition aught to e to pass tests and get a licence.this is just the first step.

Relax. DON'T RUSH.. rushing be fast way to hurt on a bike. Listen to your instructor... TALK to your instructor. ASK QUESTIONS! That's what they are there for. And Don't Rush.. if you want to get somewhere, you will, and there's no prizes for being first in the queue in casualty! And CBT is just first step on the road to a full licence, so take your time, get all you can from it, and one step at a time, let the pieces fall into place. You'll be fine!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:17 - 01 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember how much I hated my CBT and really didn't feel good about the whole thing. First day of full training on a 125 I felt loads better. Second day of training on a 500 and I was suddenly enjoying it.

My instructor put it very simply (albeit a bit cheesy). If you've got ten quid to spend, on day one you're spending all but a penny of it on controls if the motorcycle. On day two, you can invest a fiver of the ten quid in observations. On day three you can split the tenner three ways and spend it on road craft as well.

You just need time to build the right muscle memory and take it all in. Time in the seat works wonders.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:51 - 01 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should note that not only did I split my CBT over 2 days, but after I'd done it, I thought "What a suicidally stupid way to travel," and didn't even get a 125 until I'd cycled regularly for a year to improve my hazard perception (nobody sees you, and if they do, they'll just try and kill you).

Now, I absolutely love it. It's the best life decision I've ever made although I reserve the right to amend that statement if Mrs Borg ever stumbles on this thread.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:05 - 01 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although not strictly regarding riding bikes, allow me theis Tef-esque meander to a sort of point.
I think confidence is a huge part of riding a bike but also a huge part of doing anything that's a learnt skill. It is
natural state of mind in some and not so much in others. For instance on land I am pretty fearless and in
good health and in my mind at least I feel I can accomplish more or less anything. In the water though I'm like
a new born foal, my mrs however swims very well and is more comfortable in water than on land. She has
all manner of PADI certificates, can crack out 20 lengths of the pool in 25 minutes, can water ski, whatever.
If it's water borne she takes to it instantly. Not me though I have to stand on the shore/boat and watch. Being
completely honest I won't even paddle knee deep because I don't like it when I can see the fish swimming nearby.

Swimming with wild dolphins in Hawaii - I stayed on the boat and got sunburnt feet. Embarassed
Cliff jumping in Cyprus - I stayed on the boat. Crying or Very sad
Deep sea snorkelling in Maldives x2 - I stayed on the boat and got seasick. Sick
Numerous scuba dives - I stay on land and panic until shes back safe. Praying
Water ski-ing in Mauritius - This time I drove the boat because the guy was worried I felt left out. Bounce!

I still paid full whack for all of those excursions, suffice to say I've been on some very expensive boat trips. Laughing
I would really like to learn to water ski, it looks AWESOME fun but I'm really not great out of my depth and can
panic quite easily which may well result in a drowning Shocked F-that!! It also doesn't matter how much I relax, I sink and
am unable to float. I just go straight to the bottom, additionally water going up my nose is very unpleasant for me too.
So guess what, I don't water ski. I love the idea but simply put and due to numerous reasons I'm just not
cut out for it so I stick to things I'm good at. I'm not trying to put you off, that's your decision to make and good
on you for keeping at it, but if you're not happy when on a bike, verging on fearful then maybe it's a similar thing for you?

We all want to be Batman but someone still has to be Robin. I'm a non swimming boy wonder. Holy doggy paddle Batman!!!

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 10:32 - 01 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
If you've got ten quid to spend,.....
1/ on day one you're spending all but a penny of it on controls if the motorcycle.,
2/ On day two, you can invest a fiver of the ten quid in observations.
3/On day three you can split the tenner three ways and spend it on road craft as well.

Hold up!
Day 1 I spent £9.99... Day 2, I spent £5, and on day 3 I spend whole £10...
That's £24.99....out of a tenner?
Who was the instructor who taught you this? Gordon Brown!
Am I missing a PFI to make up the difference, and a rental fee of £2 a day for the next twenty years to make up the missing £14.99!? Laughing

Yeah, I know £10 a day! (But that would be to miss a jab at Gordon Brown's economic 'inefficiencies'!)

Expanding the analogy though, I'd say CBT would probably put you in over draft. So much in it, on the principle that of only a 10th of it 'sticks' that's probably enough to be getting on with; then you go out on the road and bits of it start to make sense and come back, and if you remember and use maybe a fifth, it was all worth while.

I'd say it was a bit more like walking into an out-door store planing a camping trip, asking the salesman what you needed and being told about EVERYTHING.... and leaving the shop with little more than a tent you cant put up, a sleeping bag and a billy-stove...
Day 2, is a bit more like the first day of camping, and the 'revelation' when you have spent an hour trying to work out which way up the tent instructions should be, and which way round the poles go... THEN having that revelation when you come to peg down the ground sheet... "AH! THAT'S why he tried to sell me a hammer!" And been loaned one by the smug sods in the tent next door!
Day three, is like waking up... starting to get the swing of things, lighting the billy, putting the pan on, finding the can of beans, and spending twenty five minutes looking for where you put the swiss army pen-knife, after you remember it has a tin-opener.. finding it, finding the right blade, after puzzing for a while how to use the bottle opener blade... then spotting the ring pull on the can! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 10:46 - 01 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
completely honest I won't even paddle knee deep because I don't like it when I can see the fish swimming nearby.

I don't like it cos of that cold water hitting the crotch, and most sensitive parts of me screaming "Your a tom cat! We're going INSIDE!"
grr666 wrote:
I would really like to learn to water ski, it looks AWESOME

Ah! now I HAVE done that one!
BIT like paddlng.... only two days later, your looking down, and a little voice is saying "Hey Tom-Cat! Is it safe to come out yet?... NEXT time, can you WAIT for us to get inside? You didn't REALLY have to spread your legs and shove us in with water at 30miles a bludy hour!"
You can try and explain, that you didn't really want to spread your legs and experience Russian colonic irrigation au-natural, it WAS pretty much as much of a surprise to you.... but they wont believe you, and sulk for a week anyway Laughing

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:27 - 01 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Hawaii... Cyprus... Maldives... Mauritius...

Bloody freezing mate.... Laughing

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:29 - 02 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
sea stuff

I love the sea. Well, the deep sea more to fact. It fascinates me. If I wasn't an engineer I'd've been a marine biologist.
Don't get me wrong though, I dislike it physically and would never go further than the shallows. Humans weren't designed for the sea. There is so much in it we don't know about, don't understand, and is designed perfectly for water predation.

Boats I don't mind etc. but actually physically swimming/diving in the open ocean nothx

mrmistoffelee...
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 14:40 - 02 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i had my first mod1 lesson (which i was unbelievably shit at i should hasten to add) There was a young lass who was doing her CBT, she went through all the on and off stand etc. was just practicing and learning gears and clutch. Promptly let go of the clutch and gave it to much throttle and promptly wheelied the bike and herself into the chain link esque fence that surrounds the compound. She got up, shook herself down, looked at her ripped jeans and blood coming from her leg and promptly pissed herself with laughter and said 'I'm carrying on, might as well get the first bump out of the way now'

You'll be fine... keep on keeping on Smile

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:12 - 03 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
CBT is scripted by the DSA and is arranged 'notionally' around the idea that an 'average' student should be able to complete it in a day, but t is only a notional suggestion.

Many do take more than a day, or one attempt, there is a heck of a lot to take in on CBT for a 'first' lesson, and without much or any experience to give much of it meaning, an awful lot will be in one ear and out the other as soon as that exercise is completed... if you are lucky bits will come back to you as you gain experience and they suddenly make sense and/or have relevance, though.

Don't worry too much about falling off, ,many, many do! And good for getting back in the saddle.

Remember, it JUST a first lesson, and the grade you need make at each section, is pretty low; it's not trying to turn you into a competent qualified rider, it's just trying to get you up to speed, as a Learner, so that on the road, you aren't a complete disaster looking for a place to land, and have some basic know how of what you should be doing, before you get out there. Real ambition aught to e to pass tests and get a licence.this is just the first step.

What does the DAS teach you that the CBT doesn't, excluding extra practice time?

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:19 - 03 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The expected standard of riding to pass the test is much higher.
For instance, dab a foot down on the U-turn is usually a mod 1 fail (discretionary but usual) please leave the pad.
25 in a 20 will fail a mod 2 but just get you a quiet word with the instructor on CBT and you can still 'pass' it.

kris84
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 17:35 - 03 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jmoan wrote:
Teflon-Mike wrote:

What does the DAS teach you that the CBT doesn't, excluding extra practice time?

High speed avoidance exercise

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 20:03 - 03 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jmoan wrote:

GOOD QUESTION!

DAS? NOW? Well, Strictly DAS is simply the provisions in test law to obtain higher licence entitlement, if eligible by age, merely by passing tests on motorcycle eligible for tests for that licence entitlement... and, in order to 'train' for those tests ride such motorcycle candidate does not have licence entitlement to ride, on L-Plates, before test, IF accompanied by and under supervision of, qualified and approved instructor. No more, no less.

Hence first thing is to make clear distinction between DAS, the test scheme, and DAS Courses, training offered under DAS rules.

Clue in CBT is the B, for BASIC. It is very very basic training.

Post CBT training, is the 'further training' beyond the basics, up to 'test standard'.

Brief history of UK Motorcycle Training; OTMH; post WWII, You obtained a provisional motorcycle licence just by fling in a form at the post office; there was no capacity limit on what you could ride, there was no L-Plate requirement, and the 'test' was essential turning up at a police station and having a local bobby watch you ride round the block.

During the 1950's, the L-Plate law came into force, that denied pillions, and in the early '60's Learner's (Who could obtain provisional at 16). were limited to 250's.

1973, the lower age for a provisional was upped to 17, and 16 year olds were limited to 50's; and Compulsory helmets came into force.

In 1982, the learner entitlement was reduced further to 125cc, and provisional entitlement limited to 2-years, if tests not passed, and the Part-1 test introduced.

1960's boom in car owner-ship, and the feminist movement, curiously, had stimulated the creation of 'commercial' car driving schools. However, for bikes, at the time still perceived as the 'cheap' way to work, paid for training was an expense few were prepared to pay for.

Consequently, what motorcycle training that existed, was very much on an ad-hoc basis and, was usually offered on a voluntary basis; often around youth clubs, and was nearly always offered on the students own motorcycle.

Compulsory Basic Training, was actually proposed, in the late 1970's, as an alternative to the more stringent 125 Learner-Laws; but lack of cohesive syllabus for what CBT should be, where it should start or stop, and the overwhelming 'problem' that there just were just so few 'bike schools'made the suggestion untenable.

Result, as that the 1982 125 Learner-Laws were rail-roaded through, new Thatcher Gov't, and the CBT 'proposal' tagged on, as the compulsory "Part 1" test, devolved to 'Approved Training Bodies', with the suggestion that before awarding a Part-1 pass cert, those proto-Bike-Schools, would offer 'some-sort' of Basic Training, essentially under Thaterite principle, to 'stimulate' the creation of commercial, car like, Bike Schools.

In 1990, CBT was introduced, to replace the Part 1, test, and again, devolved entirely to commercial or independent bike schools.

'Niggle' here was the catch 22, that now you had to complete CBT before you could ride your own bike, so how could you ride your own bike to the school, to get a CBT? To which the answer was Schools buying bikes for the students to use, and to start offering more 'all you need in a a box' 'courses'.

DAS was introduced circa 1996, co-incident with the introduction of the A1 lightweight licence, and further encouraged schools to increase their 'fleet' of training vehicles to include 500's, and offer more 'all you need' courses, under DAS rules.

Oh-Kay...... Situation gives us three levels of training;

BASIC Traning: - Learning to ride a motorbike; basic controls, balance, maneuvers, etc
TEST Training: - Concentrating on the maneuvers you need to perform to pass test, more complex or involved road riding technique
ADVANCED Training:- more elevated machine control, more dedicated road craft and technique, beyond that required merely to pass test, but to be a 'good' rider.

NOW, the 'Problem' of CBT, is that that it is a little bit, too much of a good thing. The notion that it's ALL you need to know, is provided by the fact that during it's evolution, it was expanded well beyond the real 'basics' of simply learning to ride a bike and wobble about a field or play ground, originally proposed.

As a checkpoint on rider's who could, essentially head out, on their own, on the road, without ever taking a test, or any further lessons, the scope of CBT was extended to cover far more than 'just' the real bare bones basics. Syllabus was spread to give a broad base, of everything from the legal requirements, high way code, through basic machine control, into road riding.

In THEORY, yup, everything taught in a CBT, should be pretty 'close' to 'enough' to go pass test.. not entirely, but a student aught have a pretty good idea of what's required, and with a little common sense, a little practice, and some out side reading yup, rock up for test ad pass, with little or no more, than the CBT to thier credit before hand.

With no mandatory requirement for pre-test training, when it was conceived, this WAS strategic, as so few did opt to take any post CBT training.

Now, the 'success' of CBT and how far to did take a 'new rider' IS actually impediment, to pulling it back to 'just' the basics, or extending it all the way to test level.

PERSONALLY, Given dumbng down of standards and the modern acceptance of 'Doing a Course', I really do think that CBT has had its day, and IF its accepted that the CBT standard IS the acceptable one to allow any-one to wobble out, un-supervised on a lightweight bike, then?!?! what the heck; beef it up a bit, stretch it to perhaps a two fay course to icreae the amount of 'road training'' and practice, you get, tack a Theory pass i there as a pre-qualifer, and dole out effing A1 lightweight licence entitlement for the damn thing and be DONE!

So, to a certain degree, I DO agree with you, CBT is not far of, being 'all you need to know'.. but only because it has, over the last fifty odd years bee expanded so far fro that real basic, can you work a clutch? Can you get fro one end of the play ground to the other, and stop? Can you turn left? What about right? OK, lets try something a bit more difficult ad string some stuff together.....go slalom trough the cones!

On that level CBT goes far to far, BUT at the test level it still does't 'quite' go far enough.

As an instructor in the early DAS Days, I was still offering students 'post CBT' road training to test standard, on lightweights, up to 125.

An average student, could, normally make the grade to be submitted or recommended for test after maybe four or five two hour lessons. They could go away and practice to their hearts content between them, whch is a boon, and weekly 2hr lessons, does chop it up and make each bit 'bite size', so compressing that into one 'block' and tagging it on the end of CBT, to make a 'Compulsory A1-Lightweight' course, is probably a tad ambitious, especially given how many cat take in all that's in CBT in just one day, B-U-T.. give a notional frame-work.

AND does tell you how much 'beyond' CBT a student probably really needs to bridge that gap between the 'Basic' standard, and the 'Test' Standard.

So, what did I 'teach' above and beyond CBT on test training?

A lot would be revision to be honest. Out on the road, giving the 'teaching' relevance and purpose, a lot of talk stops were going back over play-ground or class-room stuff from CBT, as student needed to be reminded, or told "This is why we taught you {whatever t was} on day one!, Then expanding upon it; explaining why this situation was appropriate to do this, but another not, and do something else instead.

Now THIS s really where you get a little of the art of teaching; because to the student a LOT of that is utterly transparent; they don't realize, that, the instructor, is taking clues from what they do or say and taking the into situations to challenge them and engender those discussions, and 'prompt' a little more experience and a little more learning. And it CAN be so transparent, and because it's something they THINK they already know, or have re-remembered from CBT, that that s where they learned it, not on the post CBT road-training...

Which is anther 'nial' in that double edged sword of CBT.... do post training properly, and CBT gets the credit, and student doesn't believe they got much fro the road training! CBT taught them 'all' they needed to know.

So building on the foundation of CBT, the boundaries get fuzzy, and t i easy not to recognize just how much, beyond mere practice, road training s giving you; and de-value the 'practice' that is prompting the 'drill-down' to expand and explain a topic that in CBT was covered but NOT in the detail required for test.

NOW lets talk DAS Training!

DAS training, is basically the same road training I would give in the 125 days, BUT with the student on a big bike, and same principles apply.

EXCEPT! And it's well known I despise DAS! Far to often, it doesn't 'build' very much on CBT, if at all, but pander to the impatient, and 'intensive' DAS courses are a particular curse in that.

Expectation on a DAS Course, is that it will be offered on a DAS Bike, and that you will do the tests in it. So, an all inclusive DAS Course, will have to include the CBT, and to some degree the 'conversion' or 'familiarity' lessons to bring a student up to a 'Big-Bike' over and above CBT manovers as ell as tests.

Tests at the end. Mod 1 is only 15 minutes or so, but practically it's only 15/20 minutes on the pan, there's probably as much in the paper-work and prelims before hand, you'd have to schedule at least an hour to fit t in a 'program'. Likewise, Mod 2; it's notionally only 45 minute, but add paperwork and prelims, you need to schedule 1 1/2 hours into the program. If DSA test center appointments are conducive, you might schedule those into one day, Mod 1 in the morning Mod 2 in the afternoon, and you might get a couple of hours of road training in around them.

CBT, is notionally a one day course, if student takes to it, and you might on a DA Course, massage a chunk of conversion to DAS bike into that.

Now add those eight or ten hours or so of road training, to get from CBT to test standard, and you are, being incredibly ambitious to squeeze it ALL into an intensive 3-day course.

But, even if you take out CBT, and stretch it to a four of five day course, there's still an awful lot to 'cram' into a course, A-N-D my main gripe with DAS Courses and particularly intensive DAS, is that you just cant! Something has to give.

Pressure to get a student up to test standard, in the time available, and all of it under supervision, you cant leave them to go practice on the DAS bike, and to a time table you cant cut it up and make it bite size and let students 'find' the relevance of learning, you have to spoon feed them....

Yeah... I am EVEN more inclined, to agree, that practically, you DON'T get much if any more training over and above a 'good' CBT, in a typical, 'short' intensive DAS course.....

AND, typical DAS Licence holder, they the time they get to road, on their own, potentially on a VERY high performance machine, very very frequently AREN'T any better prepared, even with that 'bit' extra to test standard, prepared than typical CBT newb, kicked out to go it alone on a lightweight ad L's...

Quite revealing with so many DAS newbs, is how kicked out in the street to go solo, bereft of instructor whispering confidence int their hat over the radio, and they frequently experience the sort of crisis of faith CBT newbs do the day after CBT, where i the 'cramming' all the have been taught n that rush, is log jammed ad they cant remember, or doesn't make sense, or they are confused what where and when any of it should be used... OR they are so convinced they have learned it all, and made the grade, they REALLY don't recognize just how little thy know, ad the gulf between confidence & competence is a ravine they are very likely to ride straight into...

But that is the nature of the game.

Point is there IS A big difference between the CBT standard.. which is awarded pretty much on a judgement call by the instructor.

HAS this student gone through all the sylabus? Have they shown some level of common sense, and basic dexterity? On the road, do they know ENOUGH, that they could get from one side of town to the other, and probably not cause TOO much of a danger, to themselves or others?

It is a basic threshold, and t IS literally the standard expected to let a Learner 'start' their learning. They know enough and have shown good enough to be getting on with.

The tests, beg a level of demonstrated 'finesse'. Good enough, ISN'T.

Test check-list, demands a demonstrated, and consistent competence. Maybe the same maneuvers and situations, BUT standard you are expected to perform them is some-what higher, and there is a lot less room for error. It's still not a LOT higher, but it IS higher. Good enough to be getting on with isn't good enough; will they 'probably' wont cause 'too much' danger to themselves or other's isn't acceptable; standard is asking, not, can they do ne journey, but ANY journey, and not without causing 'too much' hazard, but without causing ANY.... and not just most of the time, but almost ALL of the time.

That s the difference, and that is what post CBT rider training s trying to get to.

DAS Training is just post CBT rider training.. on a big-bike, and all too often, even though most of the tie it will get a student fro CBT to test standard, the way it does it, and particularly the way intensive DAS training does it, probably doesn't 'really' make the boat as water-tight as it cold or should be.... It 'should'.. but it's an imperfect world.

Which is a long way round explaining why I am inclined to agree with you in 'practice', if not in the reasoning of the 'principle'.

Threshold for awarding a CBT s very low.
Threshold for awarding a full licence, is higher.... not a lot higher.. but it IS higher.

That's what Post CBT training, whether offered on a 125, or under DAS rules, is trying to bridge.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 53 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2