Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Damp problem

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

Fazer Tom
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:26 - 28 Feb 2017    Post subject: Damp problem Reply with quote

Hi all, got a problem with some damp ive come across in the house, its at the back of the chimney breast, we had logs there originally but the wofe wanted to remove them for the kid to have toys there, as shes removed the ligs shes come across a large unpainted section, shes painted it but is all immediatley boubled up and started peeling off. Im not afraid of any diy, being an auto electrician but i dont have a clue on how to go about sorting it.

I suspect its rising damp. Its a midterrace too if that helps.

https://s11.postimg.org/vwgd9882b/20170228_220605.jpg

Past: (1981 CG125) (1992 ZZR250 x2) (1976 KZ400) (1993 400 Superfour) (2002 Triumph TT600) (1998 Fazer) (2001 CCM 636) (2000 CCM 604) (2007 Kawasaki Z750) (2005 Husqvarna SM450R) Current: (1989 Bandit 400)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:29 - 28 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it on a party wall? Maybe the problem isn't in your house at all.

Also OP is this guy https://www.caravanchat.org.uk/website/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/officercrabtree250x267.jpg and I claim my cinq francs. Laughing

Fazer Tom
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 00:02 - 01 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, directly behind that is the neighbouring houses chimney.

Past: (1981 CG125) (1992 ZZR250 x2) (1976 KZ400) (1993 400 Superfour) (2002 Triumph TT600) (1998 Fazer) (2001 CCM 636) (2000 CCM 604) (2007 Kawasaki Z750) (2005 Husqvarna SM450R) Current: (1989 Bandit 400)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:32 - 01 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If possible might be worth a nose next door and see whats going on their side. It may just need a few days
to dry out properly now the air can get to it, is your chimney capped? I used to have a drip drip in my master
bedrooms fireplace whenever it was raining hard until I put a pepper pot up in there. Mines held in with gripfil. Thumbs Up

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=chimney+pepper+pot&rlz=1C1CHWA_enGB592GB592&espv=2&biw=1517&bih=735&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjAjdTXhrTSAhUCD8AKHe1YCEgQ_AUIBygC

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:28 - 01 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tins of this going for a 6 quid each if you find you can't do anything about the damp.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Polycell-PLCDS1L-Damp-Seal/dp/B001EJ1X5M/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1488356828&sr=8-3&keywords=damp+proof+paint

I bought too much of it by accident Thumbs Up

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:46 - 01 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could just be tarry soot in the plaster from fires years ago rather than serios damp, though moisture might be implicated in carrying the stain through.
Sealing it in and painting over might work but since it's a smallish area knocking the stained plaster off and re-doing is an option.
You might find reasonably attractive brick or stone behind which could be left exposed.

Generally such areas will stay drier if left to 'breathe'.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:12 - 01 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and next time the Mrs paints something...

https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/13373P/232-3-tape.jpg?boundedSize=310

Thumbs Up

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:21 - 01 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no such thing as "rising damp".

It's a scam invented by companies to charge people a fortune to inject chemicals into their bricks.

There is such a thing as "damp". It happens when moisture gets directly onto your brickwork.

So in a chimney breast, the most likely way for this to happen is by it coming down the chimney.

If you've had logs stacked in there, it's likely that a little moisture has got in and has been prevented from evaporating properly by the stack of logs.

Which brings us neatly to the other common cause of "damp" in houses which is condensation. This is caused by high humidity, a low surface temperature of the affected area and a lack of ventilation. Such as you might find behind a stack of logs.

If the wall itself is colder than the surrounding room, it could even be below the dew point at which point condensation will form (like you see on the inside of your windows, they aren't leaking and the water isn't magically "rising" from elsewhere, they are colder than the surroundings, water vapour condenses on them) .

Worth noting that disused chimneys are usually either blanked off or have a ventilation grille left at the base to allow them to breathe (thereby increasing venmtilation and reducing condensation).

TL;DR It's probably a bit of damp that's been trapped behind your stack of logs. Leave it a while to dry out, I'd stick a dehumidifier in there for a couple of days. Next most likely is simply condensation. Next would be water coming down the chimney.

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:56 - 01 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:

Can you only use that on the missus if she's painting?

It's just, that's the time when she's quietest and concentrating... I'd prefer to use it when I'm watching my fave program and she won't shut it! Twisted Evil
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed).

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:58 - 01 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^

Yeah, if you want to restrain a woman good old gaffer tape works best.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:32 - 01 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Stinkwheel says - especially on terraced housing with double glazing.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:36 - 01 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
There is no such thing as "rising damp"

So why does DPC exist then? Do builders just lay it for fun? You're a smart guy but come on...

If that's true then I say cats can't get pregnant, horses only come with 3 legs and dogs can talk.

https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/rising-damp.htm

Let's stick to what we know eh?

Moo.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:16 - 01 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:
There is no such thing as "rising damp"

So why does DPC exist then? Do builders just lay it for fun? You're a smart guy but come on...

If that's true then I say cats can't get pregnant, horses only come with 3 legs and dogs can talk.

https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/rising-damp.htm

Let's stick to what we know eh?

Its partly true.

Attended a CIOB event last night by Joe Malone, one of the top 3 guys on diagnosing damp problems in the uk who owns a damp testing consultancy.

https://buildingdefectanalysis.co.uk/damp/the-incidence-of-true-rising-damp-vs-induced-rising-damp/

https://buildingdefectanalysis.co.uk/category/condensation/

His whole blog is dedicated to various damp issues, so may prove an interesting read around.

It suggests not just slapping on a waterproof coating, as this will just stop the water from drying out and push it further up the wall. He refers to it as "Induced Rising Damp"
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 55 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1