Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Ride 2 - it's back

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

metalangel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:37 - 28 Feb 2017    Post subject: Ride 2 - it's back Reply with quote

https://store.steampowered.com/app/477770/

The original was merely decent. Word is they've improved it a lot but that's still a lot of DLC to swallow... I am more concerned with the handling being less aircraft carrier-y. Anyone tried it yet?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:58 - 01 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first one was awful, I heard this one still has painfully long loading times. It looks interesting but Milestone make half-arsed games and abandon them after release.

kerr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:21 - 01 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its pretty much the same game with updated bikes and a handfull of new tracks really, i still don't get how its the only racer i have ever played where you cant spectate online while waiting for a race to finish.
Still has the odd issue where everybody gets booted from a room just before or after a race and loading times are still utter wank.
However turning all the rider aids off on the HR2 around the northwest 200 track is a proper giggle Thumbs Up

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:45 - 01 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The second one is somehow better. The AI is crap though. There are tracks, such the NW200, where if you give the AI fast bikes, it can't stay on the track and every roundabout and slow section is a demolition derby session. Like the AI didn't know when to start braking after the long straights.

Better optimised, fewer bugs, nice selection of motorcycles (even a NSR 125 and other Loser plates bikes). If you've got a gamepad, then give it a go. It can keep you entertained for a long time.

I did not enjoy the Supermoto, it sounds like fun, but it's not. I don't mind the bikes, but I do mind the Supermoto tracks. I know the real tracks are narrow with tight corners and short straights, but it just didn't translate well into the game.

Loading times? I played it of an SSD and it was alright.

Score: 7/10, being basically the only current game of its genre helps.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:18 - 01 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
Score: 7/10, being basically the only current game of its genre helps.

True, although I've been playing MotoGP 07 (the last THQ game) recently and really enjoying it.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:47 - 01 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my all time favourite motorcycle game remains the Tourist Trophy by Polyphony digital (PS2). Still hoping for a PS3/PS4 version. Great selection of motorcycles. That game really brought me to riding and ''love'' to classic japanese motorcycles (80's). Also, riding on the well known tracks from the Gran Turismo series also made the game good. The physics model wasn't the best, but wasn't the worst either (for the time being). It was a nice mix of arcade and simulation, which you could also fiddle with (more arcade or more sim gameplay). Also, it was one of the first games, I can think off, where you could have separate front and rear brakes. Also the first game where I could ride road legal motorcycles ans scooters, although I hated scooters in the game. You could even pick your own gear for the rider = helmet, jacket, gloves, pants, boots. All real stuff, I still want the white Arai helmet with orange and black stripe and number 23 on the side. (this one: https://bikegear.in/image/data/Arai%20Helmet/Astro-IQ/arai-astro-iq-stout-gloss-white-helmet-1.jpg ) You could adjust your own riding style as well.
And the ultimate reward in this game, for me atleast, was the Honda RC162.

The Driveclub bikes (PS4) is also a very well made game, entertaining, beautiful graphics, the physics are too arcade for my likings, but the game is still entertaining. The whole Driveclub game is good actually, I like this form of racing, the challenges and online challenges. Also, greath enviromental effects, real time movement of the sun, real time changing weather from nice and sunny to heavy thunderstorm and so on. Very refreshing experience.

Then, the Test drive unlimited 1 and 2 (PC, PS, Xbox). Also a very entertaining game, motorcycle wise. Riding a ZX10R on the open road in traffic was a plenty of fun. Having a laugh trying to outrun the Hawaii 5-0.

Then there are games such as Midnight Club racing, Gotham city racing and other that don't really bother with realism. I remember playing Midnight Club racing on the PS2, having fun. But those games didn't age well and you could tell the programers never had a motorcycle as they put too much focus on the customization rather then the riding model of the motorcycles.

EDIT: Feck it, I'm turning my old PS2 on this weekend to play Tourist Trophy. 480p here I come. Smile

metalangel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:38 - 02 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Midnight Club: LA had a few bikes (predictably, only Kwaks and Harleys) but they were lots of fun to ride.

I'd pick TDU1 over TDU2.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:41 - 02 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
Well, my all time favourite motorcycle game remains the Tourist Trophy by Polyphony digital (PS2). Still hoping for a PS3/PS4 version. Great selection of motorcycles. That game really brought me to riding and ''love'' to classic japanese motorcycles (80's). Also, riding on the well known tracks from the Gran Turismo series also made the game good. The physics model wasn't the best, but wasn't the worst either (for the time being). It was a nice mix of arcade and simulation, which you could also fiddle with (more arcade or more sim gameplay). Also, it was one of the first games, I can think off, where you could have separate front and rear brakes. Also the first game where I could ride road legal motorcycles ans scooters, although I hated scooters in the game. You could even pick your own gear for the rider = helmet, jacket, gloves, pants, boots. All real stuff, I still want the white Arai helmet with orange and black stripe and number 23 on the side. (this one: https://bikegear.in/image/data/Arai%20Helmet/Astro-IQ/arai-astro-iq-stout-gloss-white-helmet-1.jpg ) You could adjust your own riding style as well.
And the ultimate reward in this game, for me atleast, was the Honda RC162.

The Driveclub bikes (PS4) is also a very well made game, entertaining, beautiful graphics, the physics are too arcade for my likings, but the game is still entertaining. The whole Driveclub game is good actually, I like this form of racing, the challenges and online challenges. Also, greath enviromental effects, real time movement of the sun, real time changing weather from nice and sunny to heavy thunderstorm and so on. Very refreshing experience.

Then, the Test drive unlimited 1 and 2 (PC, PS, Xbox). Also a very entertaining game, motorcycle wise. Riding a ZX10R on the open road in traffic was a plenty of fun. Having a laugh trying to outrun the Hawaii 5-0.

Then there are games such as Midnight Club racing, Gotham city racing and other that don't really bother with realism. I remember playing Midnight Club racing on the PS2, having fun. But those games didn't age well and you could tell the programers never had a motorcycle as they put too much focus on the customization rather then the riding model of the motorcycles.

EDIT: Feck it, I'm turning my old PS2 on this weekend to play Tourist Trophy. 480p here I come. Smile

Moto GP 2 (about 5 years earlier) had separate F&R brakes. Tourist trophy was one of the few PS2 games that was capable of HD output (1080i apparently). It's annoying TT superbikes isn't, seeing as it came out in 2009 Rolling Eyes

Test drive unlimited 1 was good fun, I don't really remember the bikes though Thinking

metalangel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:14 - 02 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

TDU1, you had to have visited all the car dealers first before the bike dealers were unlocked.

https://guides.gamepressure.com/testdriveunlimited/guide.asp?ID=2540

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:55 - 02 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

TDU2, motorcycles were in the first DLC.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:13 - 02 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm ok, can't remember if I got that far Smile Didn't really care for the second game. I'd probably give the first one a go again but Horizon 2's my open-world cruiser (and I can use my wheel with it).

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:11 - 03 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the subject of Ride 2/Milestone, they've announced MXGP3, which will use the Unreal 4 engine and include 2-stroke bikes. I played the demo for the 2nd one, I found it a bit meh.

https://cdn-8.motorsport.com/images/mgl/YX41BGxY/s8/sim-racing-mxgp3-aankondiging-2017-mxgp3-screenshot.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C5CxW-HWYAEBPn1.jpg

It should look good even if it plays like crap Smile

metalangel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:31 - 03 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did you reckon to the MX vs ATV series? Before they hacked it up into DLC, that is...

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:22 - 03 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only one I've played was MX vs. ATV Reflex (freebie on GwG), and I thought it was awful.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:52 - 31 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

TT Isle Of Man: Ride on the Edge
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4251/34832506682_931e3ec48d_o.jpg
^ Historic version of the IoM circuit.

And a spyshot:
https://www.teamvvv.com/assets/js/ckeditor/kcfinder/upload/images/TT%20Isle%20of%20Man%20Ride%20on%20the%20Edge%20%281%29.jpg

It's being developed by Kylotonn Games, who took over development of the WRC series (Milestone used to do it). I'd probably manage your expectations but it'll be nice to have modern version of IoM, TT superbikes' a bit too old to enjoy.

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:12 - 31 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appears to be a Honda rider with big sideburns...

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:57 - 31 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope it's the fat one Smile https://twitter.com/nicksoye/status/844861642777116672

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:21 - 01 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

And there was me thinking he'd had a bit of a shave and a haircut ready for the TT

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:29 - 07 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gameplay from the IoM game: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YaOA6Wzfts8&ebc=ANyPxKq69cs35cp6uuO-vbpvD9ZEYY6kATtV2wxG1cdpZQ_Lw8FHNRY62dUCR-KtnyGONTnblWmi6po3qr-IZ1BqRLLGIhXfhg

I think it looks alright.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:38 - 07 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bike goes 342km/h there. Shocked

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:42 - 07 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not holding out much hope for the physics (based on their previous titles). Hopefully it'll be playable and the content will make up for it.

RedPanda
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 22:15 - 07 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
The bike goes 342km/h there. Shocked

Yeah the course looks good but it's unrealistic hitting those speeds, plus it looks a bit 'floaty' in corners. Still, it's a demo and I'll probably buy a PS4 to play it.

Proper thread here by the way Wink https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=311915&highlight=

Going
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 01:46 - 08 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shouldn't the environment be tilting too, watching it started to make me a sick and thinking the bike is just going to slide away.

RedPanda
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 10:44 - 08 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going wrote:
Shouldn't the environment be tilting too, watching it started to make me a sick and thinking the bike is just going to slide away.

Nah if you tilt your head the landscape doesn't tilt with you.

I've never been able to play racing games from that view anyway, I find it far easier from behind the bike/car.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:54 - 08 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedPanda wrote:
Going wrote:

Nah if you tilt your head the landscape doesn't tilt with you.

I've never been able to play racing games from that view anyway, I find it far easier from behind the bike/car.

I drive (car) racing games from the cockpit view no problem, motorcycle's are a bit more disorienting from the rider view due to the leaning (fairly epic in vR though right before you throw up).
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 265 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2