Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Suzuki GSR 2007 or Kawasaki ER6F 2010 or neither?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

taybagger
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:03 - 01 Mar 2017    Post subject: Suzuki GSR 2007 or Kawasaki ER6F 2010 or neither? Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Looking for some opinions/advice/pointers here. Got my full license last week and on the hunt for my first bike.

I don't want a brand new bike (yet), looking at stuff around the 2k-4k mark which I can put a decent size deposit down on and pay if off within the year.

Locally (Kirkcaldy), I've been into two different dealers and seen the following, just looking for some opinions and/or advice - I'm definitely a novice!

Insurance is important - both of these bikes will cost me just over £400 to insure.

Suzuki GSR 2007

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-GSR-/122146783068?hash=item1c7083ff5c:g:5ecAAOSwYIxX4708

20k miles on the clock, £2,595 - really like the look of this one. People say the throttle is quite on/off though.

Kawasaki ER6-F 2010

https://adml.co.uk/cgi-bin/details.pl?v_vin=AEX650CCDA50953JK

23k miles on the clock, guy said he could drop it to £2,900. I learned to ride on a ER6N and liked it - figured this should be similar?

Please go easy! I'm not sure if these are decent value for money or a total rip.

If you know of any bikes going in Scotland that might suit, please let me know here.

Got a deposit of UPTO £1,500 at a stretch, and like I said, would look to pay it off within a year.

Cheers!

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:06 - 01 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Full license, upto £4k, why these two? Razz

taybagger
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 23:10 - 01 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need something which will be easy on first year insurance and preferably something local.

I'm a complete beginner in this universe so any advice/tips/recommendations would be appreciated!

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 23:29 - 01 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

9 10 and 7 years old, sold without any express warranty at dealer prices and with MOTs that's probably aren't worth the paper that they're printed on.

Purely a personal opinion, but I'd either go newer/lower mileage, or older and cheaper. For a first bike, the latter.

Just for example, how about this 17,500 mile Hornet.

You could bag that outright in budget, and maybe with a bit to spare depending on its MOT status. I'm not saying "That one!" (the insurance may be higher, the tank range will be smaller), just noting that there are some great bikes out there that you can own outright, and which won't depreciate much afterwards.

Last edited by Rogerborg on 09:19 - 02 Mar 2017; edited 2 times in total

taybagger
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 23:31 - 01 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
9 and 7 years old, sold without any express warranty at dealer prices and with MOTs that's probably aren't worth the paper that they're printed on.

Purely a personal opinion, but I'd either go newer/lower mileage, or older and cheaper. For a first bike, the latter.

Cheers Rogerborg - all opinions certainly welcome Smile

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:45 - 02 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first big bike was a 2013 ER6f, I gave exactly 4k for it, it was exactly 1 year old, had done 1500 miles,
had Kawasaki luggage fitted and was absolutely mint. Got 3250 as a PX against current bike 3years after I bought it
and another 250 for the luggage which I removed and sold via ebay during a £1 max fees promotion.
So I would say perhaps those two are a bit top heavy price wise. I never dropped it btw, it's not a certainty, just a likelihood.

Last edited by grr666 on 09:21 - 02 Mar 2017; edited 1 time in total

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:52 - 02 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any advert with the words 'that's right folks' and 'bang for buck' in it deserves to be totally ignored.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:18 - 02 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
My first big bike was a 2013 ER6f, I gave exactly 4k for it, it was exactly 1 year old, had done 1500 miles,
had Kawasaki luggage fitted and was absolutely mint. So I would say perhaps those two are a bit top heavy price wise.

That's my thinking. Not-newish-but-not-yet-bargain bikes have never really appealed to me, given that you can pay just a little more to get a bike that's got 5 years and tens of thousands of miles less pre-abuse, or much less to get one with a few more years but the same miles.

I'm not saying that those dealer bikes a rip off for dealer bikes, just that there are plenty of examples of similar, equivalent or better bikes kicking around in private hands for a fair bit less.

£1500, some watches on eBay and Gumtree, and quick, decisive action should net something decent.

Last edited by Rogerborg on 09:24 - 02 Mar 2017; edited 1 time in total

taybagger
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 09:22 - 02 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, sounds like I should just continue to keep an eye out then.

Cheers guys!

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:29 - 02 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should add I manually sniped it in an auction for exactly the same price as the opening bid since 4k was
all I was willing to chuck at my first bike. I bid bottom money with 5 seconds to auction end, it was quite exciting
actually. There was some HP outstanding on it but the seller and I went through the motions of paying that off once
funds were transferred and while we were still in the bank. I was ready to drop it like a hot brick if I smelled
a rat. Guy was decent and honest, sold because he was off to work over in Saudi for a year or two, his car and
house were for sale as well. Had a nice long first ride on it from Stoke on Trent down to Bristol where I live. Thumbs Up

taybagger
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 09:38 - 02 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, good effort grr666.

I just don't know enough about bikes to approach someone privately and know if it was good or not, I'd be a tyre kicker! Because of that, I felt more comfortable with the idea of getting a dealer bike where I'd at least get some warranty time.

The ER6F has FSH as well but has done quite alot of miles for it's age and does seem a bit pricey.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:38 - 02 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

taybagger wrote:
Because of that, I felt more comfortable with the idea of getting a dealer bike where I'd at least get some warranty time.

Would you though?

They don't say there's any explicit warranty, so all you've got are your statutory rights to be sold a vehicle that's roadworthy, as described, and the nebulous "fit for the purpose sold".

"FULLY WORKSHOP TESTED" is marketing babble. It doesn't mean that there are no problems with it.

"Full service" means an oil change, and the filter if you're very lucky. Ask them if you can watch them doing this "full" service, including the spark plugs and valve clearances that are coming up due, and see how quickly the story changes. Or that you're planning to ride either bike straight to an independent MOT, and of course the dealer will be happy to pay for anything that fails, yes?

If a dealer is prepared to flim-flam you before you're even in the door what are they going to be like once your money is in their pocket?

A dealer's word is worth nothing, and rights are only any good if you successfully assert them. My "Approved Used" BMW came from Douglas Park BMW Motorrad with a fork seal that had mysteriously popped between my test riding it and picking it up a few days later. The "rigorous technical quality checks" presumably involve a spanner monkey doing wheelies in the yard.

It was quicker for me to sort it than to ride it back, not that I ever will be back there. That's what main dealer "peace of mind" buys you.

</rant> Wink

taybagger
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 10:48 - 02 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I'll just stick with the car Rolling Eyes

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:21 - 02 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have become Tef, destroyer of happiness. Shocked Embarassed

taybagger
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:23 - 02 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
I have become Tef, destroyer of happiness. Shocked Embarassed

Haha, not at all. I'm a total novice in this game and apparently very naive Laughing

I just want a decent starter bike and to avoid getting ripped off so that's why I've posted here - to try and extract some knowledge from you guys. I do appreciate any advice! Thumbs Up

taybagger
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 12:04 - 02 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found a Honda Hornet, 2005, 9k miles, £2,295

Again, it's a dealer, but half the mileage of the other 2 and cheaper than the other 2.

Looks promising!

https://www.xpbikes.co.uk/used/honda-hornet-600-2005

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:22 - 02 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh, sort of want. The mileage matches the MOT history, it was a garage queen for a few years but looks to have had recent use, which is the way you'd want it. It's not recorded as written off, and that's barely even run in for that engine (they can go for hundreds of thousands of miles).

Depending on insurance and whether you want something revvier than an ER6, that might be worth a look.

taybagger
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 12:27 - 02 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Ooh, sort of want. The mileage matches the MOT history, it was a garage queen for a few years but looks to have had recent use, which is the way you'd want it. It's not recorded as written off, and that's barely even run in for that engine (they can go for hundreds of thousands of miles).

Depending on insurance and whether you want something revvier than an ER6, that might be worth a look.

Thank you - think I'll get in touch with them.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:31 - 02 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a really nice looking machine for its age. Thumbs Up
Don't hang about, spring is coming.

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:35 - 02 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

taybagger wrote:
think I'll get in touch with them.
And remember you can haggle with dealers as well. I got £250 off marked price when buying my Fazer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

taybagger
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 13:58 - 02 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also a Suzuki SV650 from the same dealer.

2007, 12k miles, FSH, Yoshi Can - £2,295

https://www.xpbikes.co.uk/used/suzuki-sv650-s-2007/

Would need to do a little bit of research on them both, but both look decent bikes.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:13 - 02 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd take a Hornet over SV all day long. Very different bikes.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:17 - 02 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SV has a racebike position and a commuter engine.

The Hornet has a commuter position and a racebike engine.

Not exactly chalk and cheese, but Brie and Parmesan. Neither is obviously better than the other the Hornet is obviously better and they would make a great ride-by-ride comparison to feel the difference from each other and your training ER6.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:24 - 02 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

The Hornet has a commuter position and a racebike engine.

Yeah, I like that setup. Wink

https://www.motoplanete.com/yamaha/zoom-700px/Yamaha-MT-09-street-tracker-2015-700px.jpg

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:54 - 06 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

That ER6 has quite a bit of rust about when you look at the pictures. Mine is the same age, a bit less miles on it but it's much cleaner. Bolts and stuff rust if not ACF'd.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 52 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2